Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!
Does anyone ride a stripped ex-PD bike? I used to know a guy who drove a decommissioned cruiser specifically, according to him, so that other drivers would stay out of his way. Does anyone have experiences of other drivers pulling stupid poo poo less (or more?) around your bike? Or about how cops react to decommissioned bikes on the road? Not really thinking about getting one atm, maybe later but mostly just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

Coydog posted:

Without lights or markings, I fail to see how a police bike would be much different than a normal bike. They even ride vstroms and such. I can't even tell a police bike apart from others, usually spotting the uniformed rider first and foremost.

People don't even see a bright multicolored supermoto, with a rider wearing hivis yellow and an orange helmet. I doubt they would see a black and white harley or bmw. It's not like it's a crown vic.

I think it would largely depend on the state and how prominent cop bikes are, but my thinking is the opposite of this - if people have trouble ID'ing a cruiser, they're probably even less familiar with bike markings. If I saw one of these in my rear-view mirror, I'd probably have trouble telling, tbh.

Fantasies aside, I'd think that anything that gives a lizard-brained rage driver a half-second pause about trying to side-swipe me while filtering would be a good-thing, no?

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

Fanelien posted:

One of the guys I ride with rides what is a common cop bike(BMW R1200) around these parts. After I pass him even though I know what bike he's on and who I passed, when I look in the rear view later I see the headlight and think, is that a cop? Then I realise, it's just Dave he can't write me a ticket and just twist the throttle harder.

It's just a mental connection between BMW tourer headlights and bike cops, maybe it works the same way for drivers.

That's what I was thinking. I bet a skunky color scheme doesn't hurt either. Ask him, see if he notices a difference on and off the RT!

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

Z3n posted:

It will address a subset of the people who already notice you and recognize what a cop bike looks like. Those folks aren't usually the ones that pull out in front of you though. If you want visibility, wear high vis and put more lights on your poo poo.

Which one did you have? Did you like riding it?

• Locked thread