Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

OK everyone likes to say their city/town has the worst drivers.....OBJECTIVELY who really has the worst drivers? And where is it actually the worst place to drive in?

I grew up in rural Newfoundland and when I moved to Calgary I thought "Jesus the drivers are the loving worst here"

Then I moved to the Vancouver region so I take it back. I take it all back. That coupled with the insane amount of jaywalkers I see here is just a nightmare. I don't know how the streets aren't covered in human paste.

Picnic Princess posted:

We were discussing downtown Calgary, not the entire country. Have you been there much on evenings and weekends? It's exactly like a small town only bigger. Hardly anything is open and the streets are mostly deserted. It's really bizarre for a so-called big city.

Yeah even around the university things just kind of die. It's really strange.

edit: also I spent 22 years of my life in the sticks of Newfoundland ama I guess

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tuyop posted:

What's a common vacation spot for people who want to get away for like a week? It seems like there are huge barriers to seeing other places that are unique to Newfoundland.

Spending "like a week" in a single place is a bad idea because you'll run out of poo poo to do sooner than that unless you go to St. John's. If Newfoundlanders are spending a week's vacation on the island they're either just visiting family or taking a road trip of sorts. If the latter, then chances are they're going through Gros Morne and surrounding areas for hiking, sightseeing, or camping. That area draws a lot of tourists so the local communities will have stuff to see and do like dinner theaters and such. If you keep going north from there through hamlets surrounded by wind-blasted tuckamore you'll eventually wind up in Lans aux Meadows where the restored Viking settlement can be found.

Travelling through a few historic places on the east side of the island is always an option too, such as Trinity and nearby areas. Or if you're into skiing you can always just rent a hostel/B&B in Steady Brook in the west and enjoy the slopes!

tuyop posted:

Are you talking Labrador sticks or Island sticks? I know nothing about Labrador. There could be dragons there for all I've learned.

Island. Nobody refers to Labrador as just "Newfoundland." Though, I lived less than a five hours' drive from a major center so it really wasn't "the sticks" by Newfie standards. I've actually never been to Labrador. Dragons are a possibility.

tuyop posted:

What did your parents and grandparents do for money?

My mom works in healthcare and has been at the same place for decades. My dad works at offices for primary industry and usually jumps from contract to contract. Because of this he spent a lot of time away from home when I was a child. He's been all over the country and only ever had a job near home when I was in high school.

I'm not sure what my maternal grandfather did before the resettlement program uprooted his family and sent them to my hometown in the 60's. Then he became a heavy machinery operator. My paternal grandfather was a businessman. He owned a general store, a bar and parlor, and even a small cinema. He was one of the first people in town to own a vehicle and was first to make Coca Cola and ice cream available in our little network of port towns.

Both my grandmothers were stay at home wives, though my paternal grandma was kind of a public figure in town because of her involvement with the church.

tuyop posted:

Were people hilariously upset about the closing of the fishery?

"Hilarious" is very far from the word I would use. I didn't come from a fishing family, so we were fine, but a lot of people were financially devastated. Some places had the fishery as its only industry so people had to either live on a welfare pittance or move abroad to make a living which separated people from their families and the homes they lived in for decades. The collapse and moratorium ruined lives!

I remember watching an episode of the Newfie documentary series Land & Sea about it. They talked to an old man and he started to cry during the interview. It was heartbreaking.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 11, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tuyop posted:

That's interesting and I feel bad now, I was imagining more of an Albertan response to the national energy program, which is hilarious to me because Alberta was - and is - absurdly rich in oil. Since they weren't really hurt that badly by the NEP, I'm pretty unsympathetic to the bellyaching. I didn't expect despair from the fisheries closure, I guess.

Yeah, apples and oranges. The Alberta collapse is exactly the kind of blowup you'd expect if you put all your eggs in one very lucrative but volatile basket without preparing for contingencies. Hubris played a big role.

Unlike oil, the food fishery wasn't exactly an industry that controlled most of the world's economy. A of Newfoundlanders working in the industry weren't exactly rich or anything, but they made a living. Those working on the boats and in the plants could only be paid if fish were being brought in, and that was getting hard and harder to do in the 80's when the cod stocks finally hit their breaking point.

Wikipedia posted:

The moratorium in 1992 marked the largest industrial closure in Canadian history, and it was expressed most acutely in Newfoundland, whose continental shelf lay under the region most heavily fished. Over 35,000 fishers and plant workers from over 400 coastal communities became unemployed.

Mind, hubris played a role here too. Unlike oil, it can be sustainable, but overfishing and habitat destruction caused things to get out of hand almost as soon as it began. Government mismanagement and poor understanding of cod ecology was a big part of it. We've known for a very long time that oil is kind of an unstable market, but cod? Do you know how big the ocean is? How many fish a single person can get in six hours? There's no way we can possibly fish them all are you crazy!?

The image a lot of people get of Alberta when it went belly-up a few years ago is of upper middle-class people struggling to pay off their third truck or the balsawood mansion they bought on the outskirts of Calgary. Not sure how widespread that is but I'm sure it does describe a lot of the people affected and, as you said, the province still isn't really in as bad of shape as people say. In Newfoundland it became people struggling to stay home and feed their children.

Another story I think about when someone mentions the collapse is one of a woman from Fogo witnessing her father coming home from sea after a whole day of fishing and throwing a single codfish onto land. He then dragged his boat to shore, doused it with gasoline, and torched it.

Edit: Note that those 35,000 people that became unemployed were 7% of the province's population and it happened literally overnight on July 2, 1992. That doesn't count the probable thousands that jumped ship and switched careers in the years before the moratorium dropped. The northwest Atlantic cod fishery was a lucrative and stable industry for five hundred years before then.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 11, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Spadoink posted:

As a fun fact, the isolation of outport communities resulted in the preservation of spoken SHAKESPEAREAN ERA ENGLISH into the early parts of the 20th century. Turns out when you take a group of people who speak a certain way and isolate them in a community for hundreds of years, their accent and word usage remains fairly unchanged :v:

Yeah, the same is true for speakers of Canadian Ukrainian and Icelandic dialects. Not nearly as old, but still frozen in time. I think Icelandic is kind of unique because the speakers were/are detached from the language purity laws of the national language, though I'm not sure how that effected how the language was spoken.

Newfoundland English, French, and Irish are officially recognized as distinct dialects of their respective languages. Newfoundland Irish is long extinct and Newfie French is getting very close because there's no real reason for the youth to speak it, not that many spoke it to begin with.

Newfoundland English is still around, but is quickly losing a lot its regionalisms because of more widespread global media access and more educated youth to name a few factors. There was a time where you could pinpoint a person's region or even hometown based on their accent, grammar, or use of certain vocabulary. Not so much anymore. Thankfully, unlike French (?) and Irish, the English dialect has at least been heavily documented.

Thinkpiece idea: "Millennials are Ruining Newfienese"

Nessa posted:

I was talking with my mom earlier and the farmhouse she grew up in in rural Alberta didn't get electricity until 1960. And they didn't have indoor plumbing until 1976. It was only a few years ago that the 2 outhouses 30 feet from the house were torn down.

Yikes, that's pretty late! I assume that was in the north half?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 13, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nessa posted:

Only about an hour's drive east of Edmonton!

:stare: What the gently caress Alberta?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ilmucche posted:

Reminds me of the ITT: we are canadians in GBS. Someone posted something along the lines of "is quiet and polite until you bring up the natives, then they become the most racist person you know".

Yeah, for every "gently caress the 150th" sentiment there are no doubt hundreds of people screaming on Facebook about the natives "not getting their poo poo together" or some such bullshit. Near every Canadian will boast about how they aren't racist or how racism doesn't exist here or whatever but as soon as you mention indigenous people they start frothing at the mouth.

Judging from reading various other threads like this it's the same in Europe for the Roma.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hell, even in my neck of the woods I knew some, though I don't think there are any native families where I'm from. Of the three I grew up with two were foster kids and the third was the son of a RCMP officer that was stationed there for a while. The only reserve on the island (Conne River) is pretty far away from my hometown.

In other news I'm re-applying for my passport because I'm a tool and let it expire. Don't let your passports expire guys it's a pain in the rear end.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ilmucche posted:

aboot seems a lot more east coast. aboat was much more toronto-windsor corrdor to me. eh was definitely in toronto.

I was once playing a game with a bunch of American goons and I said the word "out" and they kept barking "oot! oot!" at me and I remember thinking "Wait, I thought "aboot" was an Ontario/Manitoba thing :(..."

For those wondering, the linguistic phenomenon that does this in Canadian accents is known as Canadian raising

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gophermaster posted:

I play games online for years and years and nobody ever picks out that I'm from Canada. Most people guess Montana, and a few times I got Texas. I think the stereotypical Canadian accent doesn't exist in Alberta.

When I was teaching in Calgary all of my local students thought I was from the southern US. Students from elsewhere (even a couple of international students) knew I was from the east coast. Then when the job market took a dump and I started working at a mall a ton of local customers thought I was from The South too. What is wrong with Calgarians? :psyduck:

Nessa posted:

We have an accent, but it's subtle.

I cam across a promotional video for my hometown on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=firmzBJoN4o

And one for the nearby village!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZZbTOLroE8

This reminds me of the song from this promo video. It actually wasn't written about Calgary but is instead a canned song written originally for Milwaukee so generic that anyone could take the lyrics and replace the city name with whatever they wanted. Over a hundred cities used it in promo videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA5VnKimBRs

This American Life had a short segment in an episode about a guy who was a little too into the song and had an existential crisis after learning about it:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/520/no-place-like-home

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 19, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I usually say "The 1" or "Highway 1" because "The Trans-Canada" is too many syllables.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GREAT WHITE NORTH posted:

1. How was the transition to the metric system? I still encountered a few old-timers who would tell me distances in miles, but most of my Canadian acquaintances recognized both Metric and Imperial.

As already said it happened nearly 50 years ago so you might not get a lot of firsthand responses. Newfoundland was a British dominion until 1949 and I don't know if that affected the use of metric units there, so I don't know whether or not my grandpa, for example, would have a different opinion on the metric system than geezers elsewhere in the country.

Metric is more formal than anything, really. All road signs, speedometers/odometers, weather reporting, science homework at school, etc. use pretty much only metric units. Thermometers tend to have both C and F scales on them, though. In casual language it tends to be more varied. People use feet more often than meters when talking about short distances, same goes for pounds instead of kilograms for smaller weights. If a Canadian said "I'm 186cm tall and 80 kilos" they'd sound like a robot, but "I drove 100 kilometers with a 300 kilo payload" sounds perfectly natural. Older people still estimate long distances in miles occasionally, as Jyrraeth said.

Still, farmers measure their land in acres, fishermen measure depth in fathoms, and carpenters cut and measure in eighths of inches. I think that's true anywhere, though.

Almost nobody uses Fahrenheit when talking about temperatures, with one exception: cooking. Pretty much all ovens/grills display temperature in Farhenheit.

2. Why is everyone rippin' on Tim Hortons? I'm just curious, as my experience with Tim's has been better than any American fast food chain, and I seriously crave their Tim Bits.

It doesn't necessarily have much to do with the food. Mind, none of their food and drink is perfect, but everything you can get there has a pretty solid price:quality ratio. Service tends to be fast too. I actually really love the coffee. It has a weird semi-sweet nuttiness that you can't really get anywhere else. Disclaimer: I was a sheltered Newfie for most of my life and the only place to get a decent cup of coffee was at the Tim Hortons over two hours away. A lot of this could be nostalgia.

People tend to rip on it because their advertising and aesthetic are aggressively Canadian to obnoxious levels when they're really just our equivalent of a Dunkin' Donuts that also serves (plain, but serviceable) hot food and sandwiches.

4. What's the national take on Justin Treadeau?

Yeah basically what Bloody Hedgehog said. Most people generally agree that he's Better than the Last Guy unless they're bumpkins from Alberta or northern BC.

Ah, what a bummer to hear about Tim Horton's! Just curious, does anyone know offhand when that change happened? I was there six years ago and thought the donuts at the location in Whitehorse, YT were super-great. I suppose I'll go to the Half-Baked Bakery in Whitehorse instead next time I go east.

The donuts are still baked and dressed in store but they come shipped with the dough already molded and ready to stuff into the oven (source: I used to work in one seven years ago). The yeast donuts are the lovely ones imo. Gotta get those sweet cake-based ones. Sour cream is my fave.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 30, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

lol the worst place in Canada vis a vis nutso conservatism is the Niagara Peninsula

News to me! Though I'd contest the claim that it's "the worst" judging from the people I've meet living and working around Calgary and elsewhere in rural Alberta.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah the Royal Tyrrell Museum has one of the most complete Tyrannosaurus skeletons: Specimen RTMP 81.6.1, otherwise known as Black Beauty :black101:

It's quite the place. I'm sad I didn't make another trip there before moving out of Alberta.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Spadoink posted:

I think most Canadians would be shocked to realize the amount of time, effort, manpower and money sunk into ensuring we maintain our Artic claim. Not just from the Russians but apparently things can get a little testy with Denmark as well. There is a constant physical presence from the Army and Navy, at least as much as possible given the size of the landmass/sea, because it is well acknowledged by the military and the gov that if the area goes unpeopled for very long there will be a foreign presence there claiming rights within the blink of an eye.

Maybe the Danes will give our navy more free booze!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Island posted:

The two countries maintain a sense of humour in the dispute. Peter Taksøe-Jensenhas stated "when Danish military go there, they leave a bottle of Snaps. And when Canadian military forces come there, they leave a bottle of Canadian Club and a sign saying, 'Welcome to Canada.'"

Spadoink posted:

I used to live in Halifax, which has a pretty huge military population, and had several acquaintances who would talk around their Northern postings, not about them directly because their operations were clearly secret or classified or whatever.

I used to live with a navy woman in Halifax but I've never heard anything about her northern trips, assuming she's ever done them (that Wikipedia page on Hans Island mentions the ship she worked on so who knows). She spent most of her time in the Persian Gulf while I was in town.

Earwicker posted:

Is there a lot of money in the fishing in these regions, or is there oil or some other valuable resource? or is it just the strategic location?

Pretty sure it's just the latter.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PT6A posted:

At the University of Calgary, there are two separate Tim Horton's locations right beside each other in the student union building.

There are additional Tim Horton's elsewhere on campus.

There is always a lineup at every one of them.

They added a third one recently. They replaced the Pizza 73 with one of those self-serve kiosk style Timmy's. Before long Mac Hall will just be wall to wall Tim Hortons.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nessa posted:

NAIT has 3, but only one of them serves food beyond doughnuts and muffins.

There's an old, empty Burger Baron near my place that I think should become a Tim Horton's. It's just down the street from the LRT and they're building a bunch of new apartments in the area as well.

Every time I pass by it, there are cars in the parking lot and a conspicuous, fancy, black, retro car is parked right at the front doors. We joke about it being the headquarters for a Lebanese mafia.

I didn't realize you could find a Burger Baron anywhere in a city. I've never seen one in Calgary living there for six years (and according to Google Maps there currently aren't any there), but I saw tons in the country when I was doing field work.

Speaking of that, we went to the Baron in Rocky Mountain House once. My first and only time in one. The place was an absolute dump: building in disrepair, bathroom seemingly not mopped in days, a four year old child helping in the kitchen... It still looked better than the Caroline location though. The burger was pretty good but not worth going there again for.

Apparently Burger Baron isn't really a chain or franchise because of some dispute among the owners of the various locations, so their menu and quality are going to be pretty variable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Picnic Princess posted:

Quoting an old post, but the mountain highways have odd names that don't really follow many rules. Like Highway 40. North of the Trans-Canada it's called Forestry Trunk Road or Highway 40 North, south it's called Highway 40, Highway 40 South, or Kananaskis Parkway but no one says thay.

I didn't even realize there was a Highway 40 south of the Trans-Canada. I always thought it just terminated at Cochrane. I used to take it from there all the time when I was doing field work.

Oh wait it continues south 30km west of where it meets Cochrane for some reason. Why the hell is it considered the same highway? :psyduck:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Tim's coffee lids are an abomination and I hate them. They used to package their wraps in normal paper. I stopped buying them once they switched to those idiotic boxes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ilmucche posted:

Last time I was in you could ask for the other type of lids and they'd give them to you

WHAT!?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've always been fond of Good Earth.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

El Laucha posted:

What are the biggest problems Canada is facing right now, apart from the real estate prices and fentanyl/carfentanyl epidemic?

You mean apart from a huge chunk of BC being up in flames and/or covered in smoke? I don't really have an answer but I assume this is going to vary a lot based on region.

El Laucha posted:

I am currently in the Vancouver area with my gf as tourists, and last year I was here by myself (also went to Calgary) and we both loved the place and the people. I've heard about problems with racism, but had no problems so far (probably because we are both white, although I am darker skinned due to biking all year long under the sun).

Nobody was racist towards you because you aren't an indigenous person.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tuyop posted:

I think internal migration is a huge issue that doesn't get too much play. This story does a good job of summarizing the maritimes, and this one for Quebec. Manitoba looks like it's starting to have a similar problem. That's about half the country by population right there, and I don't think it really covers the brain drain from the northern areas of everywhere. Like what does a gifted young person from Cape Breton/Gaspé/Attawapiskat/Prince Rupert do?

On its face, the numbers are kind of laughable. These aren't Chinese ghost cities, but I think it's a cultural problem that's really hard to predict. These regions are all part of the weird Canadian fabric and as the ambitious young people generally decide to leave, those regional identities suffer and I find it really worrying. It upsets me almost enough to move back to NS and accept a 50% pay cut :v:.

I never really wanted to stay in my tiny island hometown for the rest of my life, but I really do wish I didn't have to live so far away from it (let alone move off the island). I'd move back to Corner Brook or St. John's in a heartbeat if I could get a secure job in those places. That might require a total career change at this point though. :sigh:

tuyop posted:

Edit: Also, Canadian academia is a shambles and maybe that's related somehow? Most of my best profs were U of T alumni if they stayed in Canadian universities, if not they were Harvard or Stanford or MIT or Oxford alumni. Maybe not one of the biggest problems, but I think about it a lot.

Can you expand on this? I didn't exactly spend a lot of time in academia so I have no idea about any of these issues.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tuyop posted:

I don’t know if there really is any Canadian cuisine as much as regional cuisines. I know in the East you’d be crazy not to have some lobster, solomon gundy, blueberry grunt, fried clams, fish and chips, or some kind of mussel dish. But that’s probably all stuff you can get in New England as well.

You forgot donairs and garlic fingers you uncultured swine! :argh:

Whenever people ask me about going to Newfoundland and trying the food I honestly don't know what to tell them. Newfie cuisine is what you get at nan's house. You can't just go to a restaurant and order it. Or, at least I don't think so.

tuyop posted:

I don't know what Vancouver brings to the table, they've got good sushi? Which is Japanese.

I'm not sure what "Vancouver cuisine" could even mean. There are quite a few Indian + East Asian fusion restaurants around that might fit that bill.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 18, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Spadoink posted:

Newfie scoffs

I guess I either haven't noticed or just forgot! We don't really have much outside of a Mary Brown's in my neck of the woods and whenever we'd take a trip to Corner Brook or St. John's or whatever we'd eat at more... exotic places instead (e.g. Jungle Jim's, East Side Mario's).

I don't miss Mario's at all but I sometimes crave JJ's $13 bottomless appetizers Wednesdays. They still do that?

Now that I think about it there's a little diner in the gas station on the TCH near Hampton junction that makes pretty good food. They also bake amazing pies! I hope they're still there.

Spadoink posted:

Mark0z, you going home for xmas? My parents are deceased but on Jan 1 we are taking my baby daughter to the island to meet her 92 year old great-nanny ❤ and my cousins and my aunts/uncles etc...we will eat like piggies while there. My Aunt has two loaves of sweet bread ready for me to take home too!

Nah. Heading to Calgary to visit the in-laws instead. I only get a week off work, which honestly isn't worth the time and money to visit the island all the way from Vancouver.

Nan always bakes a partridgeberry pie for me for Christmas. I'll be missing that again this year. I haven't been home since Christmas 2015 :sigh:

However last week I got a package of dried squids from dad :woop:! He only sent about a dozen so I'm trying real hard to make them last.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 19, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tuyop posted:

Most of that weird Newfie food sounds loving amazing and I’m going to try to put stuffing on fries with gravy and cheddar soon. Holy poo poo.

jesus christ it's called dressing

tuyop posted:

My wife keeps on trying to get us to do a trip to Corner Brook where her family is from and I just can’t commit to the extra time and expense over, like, other places. Like we can spend $600 on a 2-3 day ski trip instead! Or $1000 and go to a tropical paradise for a week.

It nearly costs me an entire month's of pay for us to do a round-trip flight to Newfoundland over Christmas. It's insane.

tuyop posted:

I think there’ll be some time home in my future though, father in law just got diagnosed with cancer back in Halifax.

poo poo that sucks dude :smith:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 19, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chatrapati posted:

I tend to conflate US Americans and Canadian Americans (and sometimes Mexican Americans to be honest) together. Are there any discernable cultural differences, other than national pride, between US Americans and Canadians? What about Canadians and British people?

There's sort of a spectrum of culture running from north-south and east-west North America. Minnesotans are going to be more similar to people from Manitoba and Ontario than they are to people from Texas. Likewise people living in Maine would probably find more in common with Nova Scotians than with folks from Washington.

I'm not sure how similar Canadian people are to the British, but that's going to vary by region too. Newfoundlanders have a lot more in common with the English than Albertans do if not only because the province was still a British colony until relatively recently. I wouldn't be surprised if some regions of Saskatchewan and Manitoba were more similar to Scandinavia and Eastern Europe than to Britain because of the swaths of immigrants that obtained land there. There are more Icelandic people in Canada than there are in all other countries combined and we have the most Ukranian people second to Russia, not counting their home countries of course.

Chatrapati posted:

I had some Nova Scotians stay with me once, and they had a very slight Scottish twang (at least to my ears). Is this unique to Nova Scotia? Are there other areas of Canada which have retained accents or dialects from the people who colonised the place?

Absolutely. In fact, Gaelic is still spoken in some parts of Nova Scotia!

ETA: I doubt people from other regions would sound as Scottish, but the same dialect connections can be heard in other populations with different languages; Newfoundland with English and Irish, New Brunswick with French, etc. There's a place on the west coast of Newfoundland that has a French connection. Their regional dialect has a weird quirk where they mix French grammar with what is otherwise entirely English language, even though very few people there even speak it anymore.

Chatrapati posted:

Do Canadians have any special connection to other ex-British colonies in the Americas? What about to Britain or France?

Not really. The royal family come for a visit every now and then but they don't have any real political power or influence here. Most people I know are completely uninterested. The French connection is even further removed as far as I can tell, but I'm not Francophone so I can't really say for sure.

Chatrapati posted:

Where do Canadians like to go on holiday?

The Caribbean.

Chatrapati posted:

How have people dealt with the cultural atrocities inflicted on natives in Canada? Is it something people talk about? Do people care?

Few talk about it. In many cases people are just ignorant (I never learned anything about it in school, for example) but sometimes it's an elephant in the room. The topic has been getting more attention lately because of the new government, but so far it just seems to be more of the same old lip service. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can talk more about it because I don't really feel qualified to comment on this subject myself.

Chatrapati posted:

What do Canadians think of religion? I know in the USA and Mexico, christianity is still very popular. Do Canadians take religion seriously? Are there any native religion revivalist movements, and if there are, are these movements connected with nationalism?

Again, this is going to vary by region. Alberta has a reputation of being a hyperconservative Christian place but even it would be considered secular by a lot of conservative American standards. Though, predictably, there are quite a lot of Mormon communities near the Montana border. The rural areas of most provinces have their share of Anabaptist communities as well. Growing up in rural Newfoundland we said the Lord's Prayer every morning at school. Where I'm from most people go to church because it's just what everyone does, despite my area being fairly secular.

As for other religions, Surrey BC and Brampton ON are peppered with Sikh gurdwaras and I'm sure the same is true for Toronto with mosques and synanogues/temples. As far as I know most people don't really care either way.

There are native groups throughout the country that are trying to return aspects of their culture to pre-colonial roots, including religion. I'm not sure what you mean by "connected with nationalism" question though?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 22, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chatrapati posted:

I meant stuff like this. Instances where religion and nationalism can be tied together.

Ah. I'm not aware of anything like this at all here.

Chatrapati posted:

Thanks for answering all of my questions! I find Canada quite interesting because it's stereotyped on American TV shows quite a lot, but I don't get any exposure to it other than that. It's kind of odd to consider everything you know about a place is based on parody.

Actually. Do people care about that?

No problem! As long as you recognize that we're not all Bob and Doug McKenzie I'll recognize that you're not all Hank Hill and Dale Gribble :colbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nessa posted:

Most Canadians would be thrilled to have Turks and Caicos become Canadian because we want our own Hawaii dammit.

I don't see why. A ten day all inclusive five-star trip to Cuba would still be cheaper than the flight tickets to those islands alone :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PT6A posted:

If you get rid of alcohol, next you'll be asking how to stop the suicide epidemic, or whatever else pops up, because the underlying problem is poverty, an intergenerational abuse and neglect problem originated by the residential school system, isolation, and a lack of opportunity.

Yeah every now and then there's a story on the news about children in these communities huffing gasoline. It's beyond horrible.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Drumheller used to have this place called Reptile World that I originally thought was cool until I learned that the owner got dinged for multiple animal mistreatment cases. The Alberta SPCA seized hundreds of animals and the place was shut down nearly two years ago.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Happy Tibb's Eve to the few Newfies of this thread

:beerpal:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My high school cafeteria didn't have poutine per se. It had "fries cheese and gravy." That's what it said on the menu.

It had shredded cheddar instead of cheese curds. The cheese would melt into the gravy to form a slurry of weird brown and orange goo. It was trash.

I was more fond of their fries dressing and gravy instead. At least that had more flavors going on than just gooey meaty salt.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm one of those weirdos that preferred Pizza Pockets to Pizza Pops.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Canadians have the constitutional right to arm bears

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

About a year ago I remember seeing a chemtrail truther ad on one of those gigantic billboards northwest of Calgary heading towards the mountains.

E: I don't think I've ever seen a pro-life billboard. Those shitheads like to terrorize the U Calgary campus once or twice a year though.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 8, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Disappointed that other Newfoundlander goons didn't mention Ernie's. Or E&E's Drive-in if you're a townie. Hands down the best fried chicken I've ever had. Mary browns is poo poo in a bucket in comparison.

Far as I can tell I'm the only one in this thread actually from the island and my hometown is a good seven hours away from Cupids. I've never even heard of that place until now, but I've never exactly spent a lot of time around the Avalon except to visit my sister in town.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

codo27 posted:

There was a really good place in Corner Brook I recently found out is closed now.

For fried chicken? What was it called? Where was it?

• Locked thread