Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005
So I bought Stellaris and was a bit disappointed to see the cheevs only worked with ironman. I never play ironman as I'm too used to save/reload when loving up.

Well I thought, gently caress it, might as well play a couple of games and get at least the easy cheevs. Have found out I really like ironman. You play completely differently, much more cautiously building up fleets and trying to keep xeno scum sweet before you purge them in the name of the god emperor. The whole game feels much more real and meaningful when you've just got to roll with your gently caress ups.

I'd never have accepted losing a war and territory before without hitting the reload button, but now that I'm forced to I'm finding there is fun to be had coming back from a defeat. Did restart a couple of times though.

So yeah I'm an ironman convert thanks to cheevo lust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ironman modes in games are cool when combined with achievements because they force you to play games in different ways, rather than what happens in all my regular empire-builder where no matter what I tell myself I'm gonna do ("alright this time I'm gonna play a psychopathic war empire") I always end up doing things the exact same way but with a different-coloured army.

What are good ironman-mode games besides Paradox games, XCOM and roguelikes? Lets turn ~~*~~mistakes into miracles~~*~~.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Pierson posted:

What are good ironman-mode games besides Paradox games, XCOM and roguelikes? Lets turn ~~*~~mistakes into miracles~~*~~.
Tower Climb.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I wanna say Dead Space 2 and 3's Hard Core mode might count. In Dead Space 2, Hard Core mode only lets you use save points 3 times after which all save points are disabled. Also checkpoints are disabled. For Dead Space 3, you can reload checkpoints and saves but if you die, you restart the entire game.

Not a true Ironman but considering that Hard Core is also really difficult and it's way easy to instantly die (Eye Poke sequence for starters), I'd say it's close enough.

• Locked thread