Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
S1E2: A Wulcan Story or "Wangtron's Family Tree"

Live from the alleyway by Highwang Robotics Incorporated, I discuss a bit about the Publicity and Crafting systems present in the game between boggling at Wangtron having lots of relatives and a very, very chill mission. Really, we are still stuck in tutorial-land for gameplay purposes, which makes it a short episode indeed. The game is slowly introducing the full range of things you can do on the studio level, which is nice. What isn't nice is that the Crafting system is so thoroughly RNG based - and it has a few issues that I'll discuss later as they become relevant as well. More so than any other Studio level element, it could really use some love and re-tuning if Behold Studios ever gets around to releasing some DLC content for the game. Said content appears to be in permanent limbo, however, and that may or may not be related to Saban having to approve of DLC content.

No boss this time, just a small gimmick, so there's not going to be a preview of the episode screen either. As far as the LP will be concerned, though, I'll note now that I do not plan on skipping around to cherry-pick the mid-season episode order. I will continue to play them as presented, even though a run on the highest difficulty makes cherry-picking a very useful thing to do. Of note, we do get a new grunt type, which I'll showcase at the end of the post as usual.

Thread Vote Opportunity!

We get our first email involving a dynamic choice, and while it isn't a plot changing one, it is an amusing email all the same. Feel free to cast a vote in bold text[ whether we should spend some cash to Enlarge Our Sword or save some precious cash by Reporting the Email as Spam. I will be closing the vote down sometime on Monday evening, when I hopefully will have a chance to record the raw video for the episode.

pre:
New Baddies Breakdown

Code Name:       Weak Shellshield
Secret Identity: Local Biker Gang Members    
Type:            Grunt
Life:            200 HP
Attacks:         Punch - 40-48 damage
                 Shell Slam - Damage skill, damage range unknown.  High chance of inflicting Stun
Counter Rate:    20%
Dodge Rate:      0%
Threat Level:    Zed-Grade Putty

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Get a bigger sword

I'm sure this won't be a waste of 117 dollars.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Get The Biggest Sword

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

PMush Perfect posted:

Get The Biggest Sword
This, but also it kind of sounds like an innuendo?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

We need more sword

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Get a sword that can slice planets apart

also, I begrudgingly admit I do like power rangers due to dumb nostalgia (as I was too little to fully realize that this sentai like show was responsible for the classic sentai no longer being available)
In space in particular is awesome
so is time-force, with great acting, characters and a villain that is definitely better than the sentai one (I kind of hate the villain of timeranger).

I also loved digimon; though I was never aware that it was saban that brought it over (hell, I might actually need to research it, as I know for a fact there where some translation differences between how america handled translating the show and how we did, including us getting the original op for tamers)

no samurai pizza cats though; half sure it never aired over here; or if it did it was nowhere near as popular as it got in North America.

Arkanumzilong fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 19, 2017

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
The Shiny Beaver requires Huge Wood Sword

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I say enhugen your sword.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
We need a bigger... sword

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Gentlemen, behold...MORE SWORD!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
It's not the size of the sword, it's how you teamwork it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm looking forward to this. I could never beat the game, since there's no way to go back to earlier fights for extra materials.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Report the Email as Spam. But only because no one else has voted against sword embiggening, and the opposition deserves some representation.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Sword up, it's the code word.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
From my experience in the game I'd Report as spam.

Also, really looking forward to this LP. Maybe it'll even make me pick the game up again. I usually freak out if I can't complete all optional objective, whilst also not being very good at these games. Which is a bad combo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

By the way, the game is now available on mobile, PS4, and Xbox One!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Waffleman_ posted:

By the way, the game is now available on mobile, PS4, and Xbox One!

yessssssssssssssssssssss

Edit:Also,love the salt from the whiny PC fanboys in the announcement.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 20, 2017

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Picking the game back up reminded me of something annoying. The game autosaves when you finish an episode. Weep my "never fail director objectives" trophy

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Yup. Mention that at the end of the first video, simply because the forced autosave is annoying for that reason. However, its not so bad. The cheevo related to Director Instructions only requires you to follow through until you finish Season 2. It isn't totally heartless, especially given the diminishing value of the Director as you get access to more Skills and Marketing influences.

It also means that I'll have to clone saves if I show off branching paths or decisions. I do plan on doing it for the biggest one, but for the smaller choices? I may only do it when the vote winds up close or its something that I know is worth the effort.

I suppose I should not be surprised that Better, Faster, Bigger, Stronger, Swinging Sworder is taking the vote by nearly a landslide. I may get a chance to record earlier than planned, assuming the vote stays roughly as is.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
MAKE MY MONSTER SWORD GRRRROOOOOOOWWWWWWW!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kemix posted:

MAKE MY MONSTER SWORD GRRRROOOOOOOWWWWWWW!

Shh! You wanna get sued?

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Now I wish I was more creative with naming.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Ginormo Sword

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Antitonic posted:

Now I wish I was more creative with naming.

What are your thoughts on stupid catchphrases rather than deep lore biographies?

Crush Commandos! Crunchatize and summon Crushington.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Section Z posted:

What are your thoughts on stupid catchphrases rather than deep lore biographies?

Crush Commandos! Crunchatize and summon Crushington.

Depending on the day, I tend to be in favour of visible development. Show, don't tell!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
God I love this game, some of the fights can be RNG hell but I love it so much.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Good news everybody: Chroma Squad is now available on iOS devices for the nominal fee of 5$! If you didn't already have a computer that can run it If you can see this message you can PROBABLY run it. Like WoW pre-whatever the gently caress the name of the expansion was that was so utterly forgettable and boring they pushed Legion out as fast as possible because they stopped patching content into it a few months after release.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Consider how much of this game is a homage (an homage?) both IC and OOC. Or diagetically or whatever term you prefer. Clearly the studio should be called Cloner Squad. Although maybe L/R confusion is too tired a joke nowadays.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Trust me, once we get to Season 2, I'll be opening up allllllll the possible customization options to the thread and rotating through them on an episode to episode basis. Truly our fans will be dedicated, and eagerly await the next gimmick name almost as much as any plot cliffhangers!

That said, I just recorded the RAW video, so here's a few teaser highlights:
  • Corvus gets to ENLARGE HIS SWORD
  • Tutorialand stops being quite so easy
  • The boss monster is an annoying loving git
  • We get an email of Dire Consequence
  • And we unlock another Studio mechanic, though discussing it will wait for S1E4

Oh, and the timing of the announcement of the console and mobile releases was...amusingly fortuitous. After reading the Steam News closely, it also gave us PC folks heads up of the upcoming Director's Cut and a whole bunch of content + gameplay tweaks on the horizon. I can take two different paths regarding the LP and that content. Since it will change at least some of the information I've provided (and mess with my research besides) I can either: Patch immediately when available and simply summarize changes as I notice them if earlier information is wrong OR I can disable patching and finish out the game in the current state then patch and summarize during a New Game+ overview. We don't know precisely when that content will drop, nor whether or not it will be paid DLC, so up until then, it will be business as usual. If the thread has a distinct preference, let me know.

Thanks to both Waffleman_ and Kemix for pointing the releases out in the thread before I could get around to it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I would say patch immediately. That way if someone grabs the game and plays along they won't be so lost having vastly different information if something has been changed.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Patch, patch, patch!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Enlarge our Patch.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

See if you can also find a proper changelog, so you can be sure you miss anything while going over it, but patch immediately.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gimme dat patch!

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

See if you can also find a proper changelog, so you can be sure you miss anything while going over it, but patch immediately.

Behold Studios hasn't had a stellar track record for decipherable changelogs, but I shall do my best. Also, its shaping up that Patch Immediately is the favorite, so no need to vote on that unless you are arguing for the other option. Now if only it would drop later this week...

Edit: Final edits are done and encoding is happening. On par for my normal process ETA, but I can see how having a day set aside for LP work would feel far, far nicer sometimes.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 25, 2017

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

S1E3: Barrel & Roll or "Screw These Costumes!"

Today's broadcast is coming to you straight from the Canadian Park Reserve Foundation, thanks to the uncle of one Mr. Shiny Beaver. On today's episode, I cover the announcement from Behold Studios in addition to a discussion on the various in-game character statistics as well as touch upon Skills up to a point. I do have a bit more to say about Skills, but alas, episodes this early on are short and I may not be the best at managing to script out my time to speak. Post-commentary makes that easier, but at the same time, I'm just not very good at it yet. Ah well, we also unlock the Marketing mechanic for the Studio and are left with a very critical decision to make.

That said, the boss monster for this episode is very, very annoying for those seeking to complete every Director's Instruction in the game. His unique attack gives him exceptional mobility, and having a -1 movement actor hampers me from finishing the episode as quickly as I could have if I had ignored the Director Instruction. This isn't the last time in the game that this can prove to be problematic, but Season 1 leaves us very bare bones in terms of countering the mechanic via Skills. Eagle Lasso is the key to get that Finishing Move on my run this time thanks to the AI used by the boss monster, but it doesn't always wind up that way. All depends on where Barrel Man ends up after a roll or if he chooses to perform some basic attacks instead.

Thread Vote Opportunity!

Dr. Soap thinks he can threaten us with legalistic mumbo jumbo, does he? Well, as a fledgling Super Sentai studio, we have three different options we can take here. The option that wins will determine which scenario we face in the Season 1 Finale! This is one of the few dynamic options present in the game in its current state, but it does feel rather fitting. We will be getting a much bigger one towards the end game, but for now, its nice to have the chance to see different content for replayability sake. We can either: Give Dr. Soap the legal middle finger! OR Pay our former director to get him to back off. OR Begrudgingly let Dr. Soap direct an episode, then break ties for good! Voting will last until 11:59 PM Sunday.

pre:
New Baddies Breakdown

Code Name:       Weak Breadcrumbler
Secret Identity: Comicon Falco Cosplayers    
Type:            Grunt
Life:            90 HP
Attacks:         Pistol  - 26-33 damage
                 Bomb Toss - AoE Damage skill, roughly as damaging as their Pistol.  
                             Increased chance of inflicting Knockback
Counter Rate:    4%
Dodge Rate:      12%
Threat Level:    Putty.  (Frustrating beyond their threat level at times, however.)

Code Name:       Barrel Man
Secret Identity: Reject from Pirates of the Caribbean    
Type:            Boss
Life:            480 HP
Attacks:         Punch  - 31-35 damage
                 Rollout - Barrel Man rolls through a long line of squares, dealing damage equal to his basic Punch
                           along the way to every entity he rolls over.  Makes him highly maneuverable.  Can Knockback.
Counter Rate:    0%
Dodge Rate:      0%
Threat Level:    Gnarly Gnome

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 25, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Begrudgingly let Dr. Soap direct an episode, then break ties for good!
for that sweet sweet achievo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

Begrudgingly let Dr. Soap direct an episode, then break ties for good!
for that sweet sweet achievo.
Second.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Middle finger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Tell soap to go gently caress himself with a rusty hatchet.

• Locked thread