Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Survival round seems kind of interesting. For all that this is a tactical RPG actually having to maintain a formation seems like it's been less necessary so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glazius posted:

Survival round seems kind of interesting. For all that this is a tactical RPG actually having to maintain a formation seems like it's been less necessary so far.
Even two person teamwork attacks are a big deal in ensuring you get past defenses and either flatten an enemy or deal out respectable damage, rather than watching someone break their hand punching a turtle. So it ends up more feeling like "How far is 'too far' to regroup if I need to".

I think 90% of my squinting and carefully examining distances is to make sure I didn't move 1 tile too far to hurl somebody with acrobatics. If the assault isn't murdering somebody, they are using that extra throw distance to get everybody else into murder range.

That or I'm swearing because I forgot the "vertical" distance on the lasso or something isn't quite the same amount of tiles due to the wild world of gridmap logic. "Okay, throw the Lead as far as I can, then lasso the boss into a range everybody can-gently caress."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 16, 2017

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

Section Z posted:

Even two person teamwork attacks are a big deal in ensuring you get past defenses and either flatten an enemy or deal out respectable damage, rather than watching someone break their hand punching a turtle. So it ends up more feeling like "How far is 'too far' to regroup if I need to".

I think 90% of my squinting and carefully examining distances is to make sure I didn't move 1 tile too far to hurl somebody with acrobatics. If the assault isn't murdering somebody, they are using that extra throw distance to get everybody else into murder range.

That or I'm swearing because I forgot the "vertical" distance on the lasso or something isn't quite the same amount of tiles due to the wild world of gridmap logic. "Okay, throw the Lead as far as I can, then lasso the boss into a range everybody can-gently caress."

Even though a grid system is a "simple to understand" system, it sure does lead to quite alot of accidental cockups. One of the reasons I'm on this difficulty rather than Challenging or the new Heroic is so that I'm not having to tile count super-accurately and milking every possible angle for movement shenanigans (or damage when Sniper Cat applies). I feel you far too well on this, Section Z. That pain is true pain.

As far as Survival scenarios go, this one is still on the level of Baby's First honestly. Later Survival scenarios can be absolutely brutal depending on the enemy mix - upgrades to the current roster aside there's still a few more grunt types to get to - and Survival also throws the most curious wrench into the mix. There is such a thing as being too effective at clearing the field and then getting your face smashed in by reinforcements appearing far too close for comfort. Or, depending on the map, the reinforcements keeping you in a corner unable to really get clear without risking leaving someone behind as the Acrobatics platform. As much as the Assault's bonus acrobatics range is tempting in that situation, sometimes you instead have to slot your Scout to the task simply because of high dodge to mitigate as much damage as possible.

Really, for as many scenarios as I might steamroll now, the game keeps things interesting later on. And really makes me dread a Heroic difficulty play through .

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
A spear is a funky leader thing, though not a huge sentai expert, is it common for leaders?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cassa posted:

A spear is a funky leader thing, though not a huge sentai expert, is it common for leaders?

I'm not exactly a sentai expert so all that comes to mind is "Uh. Power Rangers IN SPACE gave the Red ranger some kind of lance?"

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Boukenger/Operation Overdrive is probably the biggest example, as Megaranger/In Space's is sort of a drill sword thing that sort of fits if you squint. That was probably the strangest role specific choice I've noticed. They tend to be swords more often than not in shows that have unique weapons per member (and I can only think of one where there's one sword but it's not red's, unless you count Dekaranger/SPD's weird setup), but since those are open to everyone I guess they wanted to do something unique?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
...I wasn't aware bonuses would be stacking so quickly, especially for dodge.

Well, gotta survive somehow as a stuntman.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Dinictus posted:

...I wasn't aware bonuses would be stacking so quickly, especially for dodge.

Well, gotta survive somehow as a stuntman.

Honestly, Stuntman's Dodge isn't all that Breakaway Hype Train of stacking yet. Scouts can and usually do wind up hitting the cap to Dodge when running the Dexterity passive, but right now Stuntman's gear isn't quite on the same level as his passive benefits from simply being Antitonic with Dexterity. And some things ignore Dodge entirely. Always worth remembering (especially when you forget then start cursing mightily because it gets your Scout downed in a scenario).

As far as runaway bonuses go, that award goes to Bender. His current HP stat is nearly as beefy as some of the characters of my original run at the endgame.

Stacking HP is truly the beefy runaway option with the Lead. The problem is getting the AI to hit them instead of, say, Chris Salid.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Honestly, Stuntman's Dodge isn't all that Breakaway Hype Train of stacking yet. Scouts can and usually do wind up hitting the cap to Dodge when running the Dexterity passive, but right now Stuntman's gear isn't quite on the same level as his passive benefits from simply being Antitonic with Dexterity. And some things ignore Dodge entirely. Always worth remembering (especially when you forget then start cursing mightily because it gets your Scout downed in a scenario).

As far as runaway bonuses go, that award goes to Bender. His current HP stat is nearly as beefy as some of the characters of my original run at the endgame.

Stacking HP is truly the beefy runaway option with the Lead. The problem is getting the AI to hit them instead of, say, Chris Salid.

Yeah, I noticed that issue too. You can stack all the HP you want, but it doesn't matter until you have some means of forcing the mooks to focus on you, either by tossing the Lead up into a pack of them or by using abilities that are only available in later seasons.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: Bonus Update! :siren:

The New Squad Showcase Special! or "Transitmancer: Once a Chump, Always a Chump!

For this small bonus episode, I take the new squad through a proper reveal showcase. Couldn't quite fit it in with the proper episode due to length, would've dragged on a bit too much in my opinion. Maybe I was wrong to do it this way instead, but alas! What's done is done. I also utilize this chance to show a few of the Director's Cut tweaks to the game, most notably in the Kaiju Batttle segments. How better to show it off than by beating Transmitmancer for his lunch money all over again?

Hope you all enjoy!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

If I'd known there was a grey color option I would've picked that instead of blue- we can explain it as either a mixup at the drycleaner's or a side-effect of the... accident. Maybe Bender had to use the original actor's suit in spite of his protests?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hmm. Is the Laser Pointer Pistol a good choice for the assault in this case then? I forget when it becomes available to get though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Hit chance head is my favorite head, as much for it's description :allears: It's also the only body part without any related skills. So nothing to show off.

90% of my crafting materials and materials purchases go towards the mech, and that's even if I have a set plan for only using specific parts. Good luck showing everything off there. Though I have the feeling you will at least, at some point, use the build that gives the definitive answer to how you decide what finisher is the best one to bring.

All of them

Tylana posted:

Hmm. Is the Laser Pointer Pistol a good choice for the assault in this case then? I forget when it becomes available to get though.

Like was said, the current lack of "99% hit chance? Looks like you've missed! Again. For the fifth turn in a row" in mech fights makes the laser pointer less of a big deal than it used to be. Though the guarantee of +12% crit can be is nice if you really want it, and something anybody can shoot with for Season 2. Crit fishing opens up more options for assault soon even with an actor penalty to weapon damage itself.

Even with a weapon damage penalty, that won't hurt the other bonuses weapons bring along for the ride to Assault :getin:

Probably my favorite part of standard difficulty. More leeway to use whatever drat weapons you want, to suit your personal tastes. "Do I want a fat stack of crit bonus? Or do I want to be able to use Squarehouse kick every single turn?... +Health sword? Nah I'll manage"

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

If I'd known there was a grey color option I would've picked that instead of blue- we can explain it as either a mixup at the drycleaner's or a side-effect of the... accident. Maybe Bender had to use the original actor's suit in spite of his protests?

I might look into seeing if I can edit the save for color sake - after I clone it for safety of course. However, Grey and White on the same team could be harder to tell at a glance who is who, so I admit that the slate blue might be better because of that. Besides, the accident took out the actor, not the suit. Bender hasn't earned enough dosh yet, nor the clout to get the studio to change it. Soon perhaps...

Tylana posted:

For out particular Assault, the weapon is going to be a stat stick regardless of being a Sword, an Axe (the Assault special weapon), or a Pistol. But +ToHit% for the Mecha...probably is no longer a must have. We shall see how things go when I get more experience with the new Kaiju Battle System and find out what other curve balls it has in store as far as changes go.

Section Z posted:

Hit chance head is my favorite head, as much for it's description :allears: It's also the only body part without any related skills. So nothing to show off.

90% of my crafting materials and materials purchases go towards the mech, and that's even if I have a set plan for only using specific parts. Good luck showing everything off there. Though I have the feeling you will at least, at some point, use the build that gives the definitive answer to how you decide what finisher is the best one to bring.

All of them

I just saw the re-balanced costs for the Cardboard Pack. I do not recall it being THAT expensive prior. This...this may pose problems showing off everything with the mecha.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

I just saw the re-balanced costs for the Cardboard Pack. I do not recall it being THAT expensive prior. This...this may pose problems showing off everything with the mecha.

The shopping discount does seem to apply, but yes it's still pretty loving expensive even when it's not spitting out 5 cardboard every single time. I'm sure you are waiting with baited breath to get over the fan count hump mid season three where all of a sudden the cash is rolling in. Season 1 and 2, and the start of 3 are rouuuuugh. Then all of a sudden you are rich forever and don't give a poo poo that meeting every single director's goal and +1,000 starting audience still refuses to max out your bar by the end of the episode.

The initial unlocks themselves are not too bad once the cash starts flowing and mid tier drops are more common, it's when you need to combine to combine to combine to combine to get top shelf materials that is soul crushing. So at least on standard, simply a grab bag of low tier toys is very doable, and quite able to win if possibly not hit all the goals.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 19, 2017

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of Rebalances, I may need to eat crow regarding the state of affairs for Audience gains. Pushing a set of Director's Instructions to the Mecha Fight, and NOT showing your Audience gains from that, may in fact be problematic. You may see me sandbagging a boss or two at the Squad level of play.

e:

Section Z posted:

The shopping discount does seem to apply, but yes it's still pretty loving expensive even when it's not spitting out 5 cardboard every single time. I'm sure you are waiting with baited breath to get over the fan count hump mid season three where all of a sudden the cash is rolling in. Season 1 and 2, and the start of 3 are rouuuuugh. Then all of a sudden you are rich forever and don't give a poo poo that meeting every single director's goal and +1,000 starting audience still refuses to max out your bar by the end of the episode.

Yeah. Some of these changes seemed minimalistic in the season 1 arc of replaying up but now I'm actually scratching my head and going "huh, this...isn't ideal". Cash will be cash, and its nice to see it has a proper sink I guess but Audience Gains are an interesting problem now when they matter most.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 19, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I didn't know my actor choice for Kat was meta, I just liked the way she looked!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Since linux for some reason doesn't have the Director's Cut patch yet (given the crash-on-launch bug people are reporting on MacOS, this may be a blessing), I still have the pre-update version installed.

Looks like nothing's changed here. All the body parts from the video match what I remember, but I didn't cap each of them separately. And, of course, since I'm running pre-DC, I'm obviously wearing The Hunter. I still haven't unlocked the 9-combo achievement when starting at 119%, after all.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Then my memory is just bad. This shouldn't be news for anyone really.

That said, I wound up wrangled into a recording session for ECS content. I was hoping not to delay the LP update, but I'm just too worn out. Will wrap it up in the morning and get it uploaded post haste.

:siren: This update is brought to you in an Edit! :siren:

S2E2: Real Evil or "The Devil of Knockback"

This episode sees the primary resolution of the Dr. Soap plot arc with the lawsuit against our studio. Dr. Soap truly has either some deep pockets or some very, very strange bedfellows as he even conjures up one of the best legal firm's top tier lawyer. Will J. Milton wind up being as fiendish as he appears? Or will our new squad run enough interference while the original squad impresses the judge and jury to end the lawsuit? Find out on this episode of Let's Play Chroma Squad!

Ham aside, I will apologize up-front. My voice is still terribly worn out from yesterday, so despite taking the best of multiple recording attempts of commentary, I might still sound a bit "off" and/or "ill". I tried, but I wasn't about to postpone it any further. That said, we have no new studio options, but I do want to hear from you all about future videos!

Thread Participation Opportunity

I have three different possibilities for discussing meta-topics related to the game, but I am honestly not sure which style folks might prefer. Metatopics will all relate to game content, such as elaborating on what the Tokusatsu genre actually is, or even discussing the sub-genres like the obviously relevant Super Sentai and Kaiju lines. Should I: A) Drop combat commentary in favor of metatopics, since tactics talk may not always be very entertaining? B) Pull a Bobbin Threadbare and add sections post-gameplay to talk about the topics. Or C) Talk about the metatopics as a series of bonus episodes, so that time is less of an issue!

pre:
New Baddies Breakdown

Code Name:       Fellow
Secret Identity: Former super sentai stunt actor whose soul was crushed by Dr. Soap.    
Type:            Grunt
Life:            125 HP
Attacks:         Bog Standard Punch - 28-35 Damage.  Nothing special.
Counter Rate:    z0%
Dodge Rate:      0%
Threat Level:    Putty, from the pilot episodes no less.  

Code Name:       None!
Secret Identity: J. Milton
Type:            Boss
Life:            620 HP
Attacks:         Palm Strike  - 35-44 damage,  Cone radius of at least 7.  No Knockback.
                 Hellish Strike - Sure, this may look the same, but this inflict guaranteed Knockback.
                    Inflicts Knockback of 3 squares. AoE of at least 4, possibly longer, possibly a Cone.
Counter Rate:    15%
Dodge Rate:      15%
Threat Level:    Octomus  Yeah, going a bit off the normal line of matching seasons with Power Rangers monsters, but c'mon.  Too true.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 23, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
gently caress youuuus Knockback AoEs :argh: Secondary prank being throwing the enemy model of the weakest minions in the game, with more HP than the enemies you fought in the last mission.

I guess that's why my Challenging difficulty runs always peter out before I quite beat them. Needing a 3 man Teamwork attack on average to throw over half my squad at a breadcrumbler to kill them without resorting to special attack and weapons spam. And THEN you deal with the ramped up effects of AoE spam.

Voting wise. Non-Answer of doing what you would enjoy.

LP Pro-Tips, while double posting may be rude. No new posts indicator for an update is probably worse. Youtube recommended videos saving the day for once.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 24, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

B and C are probably going to take a lot more effort since you'll probably be digging up a lot of images to edit into things and that can turn a fun aside into burnout. In that vein I'd say A would probably work well with possible C additions if you really want to delve into something for a spotlight.

E: man I say "probably" a lot.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Bruceski posted:

B and C are probably going to take a lot more effort since you'll probably be digging up a lot of images to edit into things and that can turn a fun aside into burnout. In that vein I'd say A would probably work well with possible C additions if you really want to delve into something for a spotlight.

E: man I say "probably" a lot.

You do.

Personally, I'm fine with you doing what you want to do, Ronin, but adding some tokusatsu chat will be very welcome, if only to have some additional material to show off. Bonus episodes may be easier then than pulling a Bobbin Threadbare, but honestly, I really enjoy those additional sections to a video.

So you do you, but I'm leaning towards B and C.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dinictus posted:

may be easier then than pulling a Bobbin Threadbare
The Deus Ex thread is a loving marvel and I don't know how he does it.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Sniper Cat only cares about Techie's own ranged damage. Notice how it gets more powerful the further you are away from your opponent. I'm thinking weapon attacks don't benefit as much from teamwork as much as normal attacks. I'm on New Game+ with a team focusing on skill regen and frequent weapon usage. I came across a boss that healed over 2000 health, nearly every turn. So yeah, I spent over 40 minutes on that fight experimenting damage config.

Be warned, later episodes will draw on that much more. The sandbagging on this episode was comparatively nothing.

I'd like to know more about combat and team configs because there are multiple things I feel don't work well in this game, and I don't know who to blame on that matter. Special skill choices in particular. Some really aren't obvious.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Section Z posted:

LP Pro-Tips, while double posting may be rude. No new posts indicator for an update is probably worse. Youtube recommended videos saving the day for once.

So noted. If I had the chance today (not looking likely, thanks Job 1 and Job 2), I was actually hoping to sneak in a small bonus video for tomorrow, so it wouldn't have mattered too much. But I shouldn't have relied on a chancy thing.

Neige posted:

Sniper Cat only cares about Techie's own ranged damage. Notice how it gets more powerful the further you are away from your opponent. I'm thinking weapon attacks don't benefit as much from teamwork as much as normal attacks. I'm on New Game+ with a team focusing on skill regen and frequent weapon usage. I came across a boss that healed over 2000 health, nearly every turn. So yeah, I spent over 40 minutes on that fight experimenting damage config.

Be warned, later episodes will draw on that much more. The sandbagging on this episode was comparatively nothing.

I'd like to know more about combat and team configs because there are multiple things I feel don't work well in this game, and I don't know who to blame on that matter. Special skill choices in particular. Some really aren't obvious.

If you don't mind waiting for Season 3 or 4 content, I'll gladly take a deeper dive on skills and combat in-episode when it opens up even more. I may, however, write up occasional posts elaborating on the choices currently available in the meantime. As far as team configs go, are you wanting more coverage on actor/role combinations or skill/gear combinations?

Also, I was just sandbagging for Audience right now. Sounds like New Game+ drags combat out a bit overmuch. That's...not what I was hoping to hear from NG+ content.

PMush Perfect posted:

The Deus Ex thread is a loving marvel and I don't know how he does it.

I was thinking the L.A.Noire LP when I posted that option. Still a glorious thing. I may well look towards combining options, but first I think scripting out what I want to say on each topic will help me identify what time-spans I'll need at minimum.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

If you don't mind waiting for Season 3 or 4 content, I'll gladly take a deeper dive on skills and combat in-episode when it opens up even more. I may, however, write up occasional posts elaborating on the choices currently available in the meantime. As far as team configs go, are you wanting more coverage on actor/role combinations or skill/gear combinations?

Both, heh. Any game info you could offer would be helpful as yes, there is a most definite drag in the later levels of the game. Skill/gear combinations take priority, though.

EDIT: I'm on Challenging, though.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: The Following Post Contains Theory and Math :siren:

Neige posted:

Sniper Cat only cares about Techie's own ranged damage.

That is the way it is supposed to work, yes. However, the bonus damage from Sniper Cat is predictable. 8% bonus damage per tile of range. Sniper Cat triggered for +138 damage at 2 tiles of diagonal distance from J.Milton, with a total damage of 810. Time for some math to figure out how the +138 was even found. What we know as facts: A. Everyone was adjacent to J.Milton except for Chris, so damage falloff on the Pistol isn't present. B. The listed damage ranges on the weapon skills is known via tooltip. C. Team Weapon Finishers at bare minimum must be additive of the damage ranges. So, we can get the following ranges depending on certain conditions.

Kat's Pistol: 89-102
Stuntman's Sword: 119-132.
Bender's Spear: 139-152.
Takeshi's Sword: 185-202 | 148-161.6
Chris Salid's Rifle: 123-136 | 142.68-157.76

Takeshi's Actor Penalty of 20% to Weapon Attacks may or may not be reflected in the tooltip's displayed range, much like Studio Upgrades don't seem to be reflected in monster Dodge and Counter stats. (Though, I have to double check and see if that is still the case now with the Director's Cut content.) This creates two possible ranges for his damage contribution. The other is Sniper Cat, which if it applies, is a 16% damage boost presumably only to the Techie. This gives us four possible iterations. A base possible from raw addition, a case where Takeshi's penalty applied but Sniper Cat doesn't apply to Techie Only damage range, a case where Takeshi's tooltip is accurate but the displayed Sniper Cat damage is wrong, and a case where both passives are present in full force for their respective contribution sources with rounding to the nearest whole number.

Combined Damage Ranges Possible: Base Case 655 - 724 | Takeshi Malus Only 618-684 | Chris' Sniper Cat Only 675-746 | Both Passives 638-705

None of these damage ranges actually reaches the 810 damage dealt. But since Sniper Cat's damage boost is predictable, what damage would we have needed to do before Sniper Cat if it in fact applied to the entire Team Attack Finisher? We can do that math simply enough!

X * 1.16 = 810; X = 698.276 | But! 810 - 698 = 112, not 138!

What gives? Could Sniper Cat have double dipped, perhaps, and shown an cumulative result of affecting both the Techie's personal damage range AND then applying to the Team Finisher's damage range? Possibly. At the best possible damage boost to the Techie, you would gain an additional 21.76 damage, which would bring the total Sniper Cat boost to 134 post-rounding. Still no go. However, there's yet another possibility. Movement on the grid does not treat Diagonal movement as 1 space, nor does it treat it like Knight movement. (And you wonder why it is very easy to screw up positioning despite the grid?) It appears to be 1.5 squares per diagonal, judging from Takeshi being able to move diagonally 3 squares with 5 base movement, and Bender only managing 2 with 4 base movement. So if we adjust Sniper Cat's contribution to 24% bonus damage we get:

X * 1.24 = 810; X = 653.226 | 810 - 653 = 157, still not 138! But in a case where Sniper Cat double-dips and doesn't show a cumulative end result? We COULD actually have the solution now. The bonus damage possible throughout the entire range for the Techie alone is only 19.68 to 21.76 damage...which would accurately account for the missing difference! Especially if decimals are maintained until the last possible result value - something that the math I've shown hasn't entirely held up all the way.

End Theory to be Tested - Passive benefits/malus to Weapon Attacks apply as normal to a Team Weapon Finisher. Either Sniper Cat applies again to the cumulative result damage range OR we can finally calculate the bonus percentage damage contribution for Team Weapon Attacks and Sniper Cat merely bugs out in displaying its bonus damage as the Teamwork Modifier's effect on damage. The latter case suggests 5% per team member involved.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 24, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
One thing I've never quite been sure of is if teamwork attacks and finishes just ignore some defense stats or something?

Given how often I've decided to skip a teamwork attack against some tougher enemies and got much worse results with just one handgun, compared to two teaming up with handguns. Or hoping to finish off somebody with a single person sword resulted in disappointment, etc. One handgun tickles unless it's the top shelf handguns. Two handguns together and suddenly Support and Scout are Revolver Ocelot.

Though for me (when you can afford to give everybody all ranged weapons), the big deal about weapon finishers is the fact anybody with a ranged weapon can use it from a distance. Real godsend in some of the more annoying status and pushback bosses if you want to end it with a finisher.

Neige posted:

Jesus Christ. Yeah I think I'm going to stay out of NG+, I really doubt any of the new equipment competes with that kind of BS. It's already eye rolling slapping on every single bit of avaible attack + gear and watching season 3 breadcrumblers not quite die to a two person team attack in fresh game challenging. I can only imagine the dedication to NG+ stacking through a certain route branch.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Next time, don't be evil!"

Sweet trash talking.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Just as a heads up, I'll be participating in a 24-hour charity marathon tomorrow. Depending on how things go tonight, I may wind up postponing the update until Sunday, or I may just stay up late and release it early Saturday morning rather than in the evening as usual. Also, something happened to the coloration of the recording, its been warmed up as if f.lux was still running rather than crisp whites. Not sure how, since I close f.lux down when recording, but its not like it looks absolutely terrible. Just slightly off.

That aside, there will be two thread votes going up. One involves an email reply, though I am not certain it actually changes anything in the game as far as plot or episode paths. The other will be regarding our mecha! Look forward to those coming with the update.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Update time!

S2E3: For the Horde! or "From Gavel to Gravel..."

We hit the most mid-season plot of all mid-season writer's slumps, the ~zombie~ episode. Despite the attempt at a pun with Blizzard references, the combat phase of this episode in particular is a rather huge let down. Most survival phases actually feature respawns that are dangerous - even if that danger is a slow chip-damage death - but the movement profile of the zombies is so low that there's very little danger. So while the squad scatters out to put down as many of the freshly risen construction workers as possible...I don't talk about it! That's right, I'm doing as promised and bringing in a bit of proper Tokusatsu culture talk with this episode!

Even so, it is worth mentioning that we run into the first of what will probably be "many" Director's Cut changes that weren't very well balanced. At our chosen difficulty of Interesting, the Kaiju monster fight has the first impossible to achieve objective assuming general play styles. Our mecha isn't completely bare bones, but hitting a Combo of 6 just isn't happening even if we were still using the totally stock equipment. So if you are playing along and playing on this difficulty (or lower), here's your head's up warning! Equip the Aerodynamic Arm with the Flurry Punch feature before this episode so you can get the "all director's instructions through season 2" achievement. Its a good arm for good reasons, but because I didn't have it equipped, we had no way of hitting a 6 hit combo within one HP bar.

Also, there's a few things I forgot I wanted to talk about during the Tokusatsu segment. Always have a script handy for information discussions, folks!
  • Super Giant released in 1957, and is considered to mark the start of the shift from giant monsters towards super hero themes within modern Tokusatsu. The fact that Astro Boy also released around this time is notable, and had its own influences on popular audience appeal.
  • Ultraman came out in 1966 and I completely flubbed remembering the year. I cut the flubbery in the final video, but I'll still own up to it. We also got Ultraman state-side thanks to United Artists, and I don't recall mentioning that in the video offhand.
  • I very, very nearly flubbed the callout for VolticSurge. I'm actually kinda happy I didn't.
  • King King released in 1933 and helped to inspire the creation of Godzilla. I didn't mean to imply otherwise when calling King Kong a kaiju film, because it still fits that genre in a retrospective look, but just in case I'll point it out here. Also, more recent renditions of the big ape certainly are very kaiju oriented, being a part of Legendary Studio's Monsterverse which also rebooted the Godzilla franchise.

If you liked what I dredged up from the mess that is my mind, let me know. I can cover one sub-genre of Tokusatsu per episode easily enough, I think, and split them over multiple episodes if I run long. If you have any critique - aside from "use a script next time!" - I'd also appreciate that.

Thread Vote Opportunities!

Vote #1: Choose Your Look! - Our mecha isn't quite going to be able to show off absolutely everything, but that's ok. It means y'all can make at least one decision that sticks around for the rest of the game. We have 4 different options for the Head of our mecha, and frankly, the changes in the Director's Cut no longer make the Hunter head piece an absolute requirement. And since any stats on the Head would therefore be an unexpected bonus, feel free to choose on visual appeal alone if you like! Your options are:

The Turtle (Half-shell, whole shell, either way its a hard shell. +% HP)
The Dragon (To be a man with the strength of a great typhoon... +% Attack)
The Hunter (formerly the only right pick prior to Director's Cut b/c +%Hit Chance)
The Titan (For when we want to run amok. +% Defense Skills)

Vote #2: Poker Faced Reply! - We have to reply to this L.Gaga character's email to progress the game. While I highly doubt this has any changes on episode content based on my research, the decision you make here will let me know how all in to skew decisions during Season 3 content when it most matters. We can either:
[*]Doubt the sender but accept anyway! - If we go this path, I will continue to kit everyone out equally from here until the proper arc is over.
[*]Free? FREE!? Heck yeah! - If we go this path, I will focus all cash purchases and crafting upgrades on one specific character until that arc is resolved in-game. Bender wants the Benjamins!

This is just a way of playing differently according to how y'all want me to go about things. Mecha upgrades will be unaffected, those will happen pretty much if and only if we have the Cardboard category of materials to do so regardless. Vote #2 will run until next Thursday - I have Friday off from work to record whatever I need to record - but the helmet vote will run as long as it needs to in order to get a good majority option.

I will update this post with Zombie statistics tomorrow.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 31, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I like the look of THE HUNTER.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Hunter is still the best choice.

This game is fantastic and the director's cut made it even better.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
That Saban's Masked Rider was an awful mess of a show. RX, from what few episodes I saw was lighter in tone than the original Kamen Rider Black, but Saban tried to kiddify it way too much. Now a later show, called Kamen Rider Dragon Knight was an awesome adaptation of the japanese Kamen Rider Ryuki, helped by great writers and some spectacular action scenes.

I can remember watching the first episode of Power Rangers, and at the end thought "This won't last a season". I just did not know...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azdwsXLmrHE

How can you deny this man? When they performed live even people who had never heard the song before hit those claps square on the beat, imagine what he can do in advertising! And it's FREE!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah, missions like this really benefit from you taking the time to enjoy talking about the genre as a whole in the 90% downtime.

The Hunter is the best even without it's stats thanks to it's in game description. "You can almost see stuff clearly with this visor". The Hit bonus is because life is hell for costumed actors most of the time.

Also, is it just me or does this episode have a slight sepia tone look to it?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
VR Troopers is the other Metal Hero adaptation you were looking for. It's... sort of a Frankensteined mess on a level that's pretty impressive, as it combines characters from three different shows. Sure, Power Rangers season 3 is sort of in that kind of territory, but much less so.

Got to vote The Dragon, because Hunter is still pretty good in the new system, but killing faster can obviate the falloff. Also I've never actually seen notHunter run, even after they finally patched notWindows.

Also voting Free?!, because the game is sort of a cakewalk now and this is deliberate sabotage. It just happens to be extremely thematic deliberate sabotage, so it will look good in the final product.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Section Z posted:

Also, is it just me or does this episode have a slight sepia tone look to it?

Yeah. That was the recording issue I mentioned. Apparently, I didn't actually close out f.lux as I had thought, since I never found any other reason.

Bruceski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azdwsXLmrHE

How can you deny this man? When they performed live even people who had never heard the song before hit those claps square on the beat, imagine what he can do in advertising! And it's FREE!

Zordon bless you, Bruceski.

AzraelNewtype posted:

VR Troopers is the other Metal Hero adaptation you were looking for. It's...<snip>.

Yeah. VR Troopers was a big Something back in the day. All I remember about it in terms of specifics is that the female actress from it wound up as a soap opera star. I don't remember anything at all from Masked Rider OR Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, though I think the latter actually got a pretty good game in its own right.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

I don't remember anything at all from Masked Rider OR Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, though I think the latter actually got a pretty good game in its own right.

This is all you need to know about Masked Rider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r67jBFQXJ7E

Keep the annotations on.

Dragon Knight's game was pretty okay, because it was just a contemporary Rider game that only had Ryuki characters instead of being a mashup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

It's been a while but i think there's a (smaller) reward if you choose plastic over cardboard. In any case, just because you paid for cardboard doesn't mean they'll mail it in a relevant time frame. You might only get it in season 3, if not later!

Doesn't matter at all what you ask from Gaga, both responses lead to identical story paths. Voting The Titan and Doubt the sender.

• Locked thread