Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
This game just appeared on my radar yesterday, and it's releasing... Today?! Where did this game come from? Anybody else seen it pop up and consider playing it or already bought in?

The game is basically "We took Ultima Online and are working to copy it where ever possible, with a World of Warcraft art style."

The trailer is about the only source of media you'll find. Youtube has a grand total of 2 other videos on this game which are insanely crappy "Lets Play" of a guy doing some lumberjacking for an hour.

I can't find any previews/reviews from game sites. The only info I can really glean from official forum posts/steam discussions are the skills open to players:

Meet Neojac. If you make a thread on their forums/Steam discussions asking questions, this guy will probably be your answer giver. He's the community guy furiously answering peoples questions as they lead up to release.

Game releases in 4 hours as of this post. Anybody else down to try it?

E: Guess game is still in beta and I'm a moron. :shrug:

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Describe in simple terms your "radar".

Does it consist perchance of the spry tunes sung by hobos and redditors?

EDIT: Seriously, though, where the gently caress did this catch your eye? Steam?

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
"releasing today"? you mean it will enter early access pre alpha so it will actually release in about never

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
it's like someone rolled over a big rock in the forest, but instead of insects a bunch of sandbox mmos came crawling out.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

They misspelled Albion Online.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

lalaland posted:

"releasing today"? you mean it will enter early access pre alpha so it will actually release in about never

I was under the impression they were leaving beta, but upon more reading they aren't. I wouldn't call it pre-alpha though.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Alexander deLarge parachute account spotted.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nothing says "trustworthy" like a game that you have to go digging with a backhoe to find even the barest scraps of information on.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Node posted:

I was interested until they said they were gonna wipe throughout development.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

jabro posted:

They misspelled Albion Online.

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016
Well, I'm kind of interested only because it looks like you might be able to steal stuff from other players and there appears to be fast travel. Who am I kidding? It will probably be bad.

Did some digging, looks like this guy had a failed kickstarter recently.. but it could mean that he's had time to work it out?

http://www.neojac.com/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neojac/neos-land-a-new-beginning

beep_boop fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 16, 2017

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Why did you post this?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'll Be Online

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

:lol:

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Scent of Worf posted:

Why did you post this?

Well generally there are threads about MMOs in this place. I was surprised I found an MMO i hadn't previously heard of in some form. Even more surprised nobody had made a thread about it because every MMO seems to have a thread in here no matter how lovely it is.

I really like the sandbox that was Ultima Online many years ago, and would like to see something following the same format but with newer graphics and some quality of life improvements.

Posting the thread would make more people aware of the game. I don't care if people want to come in here and threadshit or not because that kind of happens no matter what.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
why do all of these loving games end with "-fall". crowfall, darkfall, fallfall

this is some liefeld poo poo

e:

Vermain posted:

Nothing says "trustworthy" like a game that you have to go digging with a backhoe to find even the barest scraps of information on.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I'm a masochist.

It's the only possible reason I keep clicking threads that compare games to Ultima Online.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Man the days of the wild west of MMO's are over. You won't recapture the magic, the playerbase has aged so don't really want to buy another silver dingdong of vanquishing every time they let their guard slip in a dungeon.

I don't know why people keep trying to "Recapture the Magic of UO". Go play on a free shard, get those rose tinted goggles torn off then boot up something that doesn't suck. The real magic of MMO's died when wiki's and youtube guides became a normalized thing.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Sum Mors posted:

Well generally there are threads about MMOs in this place. I was surprised I found an MMO i hadn't previously heard of in some form. Even more surprised nobody had made a thread about it because every MMO seems to have a thread in here no matter how lovely it is.

I really like the sandbox that was Ultima Online many years ago, and would like to see something following the same format but with newer graphics and some quality of life improvements.

Posting the thread would make more people aware of the game. I don't care if people want to come in here and threadshit or not because that kind of happens no matter what.

There arte like 8 ultima online spiritual sequels in the hmo currently, it should be loving :sirens: that you haven't heard about this one

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Good Dumplings posted:

this is some liefeld poo poo

e:

Pretty sure its so when they inevitably fail you get to call them crowfail, darkfail, failfail, and arcfail.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Good job grabbing the OP before AdL--

Node posted:

hm

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Is there a Kickstarter? I can't wait to cancel Christmas.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Byolante posted:

There arte like 8 ultima online spiritual sequels in the hmo currently, it should be loving :sirens: that you haven't heard about this one

I guess report the thread and call in the mods to shut this down.

This game does seem to throw out the "spiritual" and is just wholesale copying many things from UO though. I'll get to see more once idiots pay way too much and post more videos than "guy chops some lumber".

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

The real magic of MMO's died when wiki's and youtube guides became a normalized thing.

This is why I like Project Gorgon. Has a developer ever said "the game is better when it's left undocumented, please don't share information online"?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
IDK but like everything is up on the wiki.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Even back in the day, UO had a site that cataloged everything.

I think the thing that stuck with me most was how fragile your character was, learning that dying was okay and friends were what counted.

It's honestly more like Dark Souls than a modern MMO.

Sign me up for a Dark Souls MMO.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Minecraft is the real UO successor

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Good Dumplings posted:

Seriously, this just makes it too easy to make fun of the game by calling it ArcFail.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

The real magic of MMO's died when wiki's and youtube guides became a normalized thing.

I've literally said this to someone in real life last time they asked me why people can't create good mmos anymore.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

30.5 Days posted:

Minecraft is the real UO successor

You can kill people's pets in both games, so this statement holds true

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
"I'm a big enough dork to be aware of the concurrent development of 8 separate Ultima Online-esque MMOs but I am going to mock you for posting about this particular one" -this thread

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Who's counting?

Byolante posted:

well, besides this guy

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Has a developer ever said "the game is better when it's left undocumented, please don't share information online"?
bad ones do

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Darcfall?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The big difference between peak UO and all the successors is that gankers were the minority in UO

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

AlmightyBob posted:

The big difference between peak UO and all the successors is that gankers were the minority in UO

The writing for this sort of game was on the wall as soon as trammel arrived and everyone fled to carebear island

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
The inherit problems with games where griefing is a possibility is that making GBS threads on pubbies is only fun when they don't want to be shat on. So you need to have a sizeable population of players who don't want to participate in the griefing mechanics of the game, but are still playing. As such you basically need to create a compelling enough game where the largest population of the game is interested in the content not related to dicking people over. Because of that you need to either have really high-quality content and/or really high quality systems that allow for the emergent appearance of such content. The problem is that most of these games all focus on "Hey, remember how in UO you could be dick? Well you can be a dick here too!" The problem is that messaging only appeals to people who like to be dicks, which inherently just creates a massive sausage fests.

So in a reaction to the game being a massive sausage fest, the devs a bunch of systems and mechanics to attract pussies, by punishing dicks. This in most cases causes severe penalties for being a dick such as to the point where it's simply not worth it (basically Salem is a poster child for this where committing a single crime is a fast way to get your character perma-killed while you're offline). The problem now is that the game has a bunch of dicks who wanna gently caress something up but can't because they'll lose their loving card if they do, and a bunch of pussies playing a game that lacks the content and depth of other MMOs because all the development time was spent on mechanics no one wants to loving use. Fairly sure the only reason why UO was even played as much by the general population, was the fact that there were simply almost no other options.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Byolante posted:

The writing for this sort of game was on the wall as soon as trammel arrived and everyone fled to carebear island

I only liked Trammel because I could finally have a loving house. I lived in (Abandoned) fel though. Once the split happened the dungeons in fel became pretty much loving abandoned, so that's where I did any money farming + PvP.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

SweetBro posted:

The inherit problems with games where griefing is a possibility is that making GBS threads on pubbies is only fun when they don't want to be shat on. So you need to have a sizeable population of players who don't want to participate in the griefing mechanics of the game, but are still playing. As such you basically need to create a compelling enough game where the largest population of the game is interested in the content not related to dicking people over. Because of that you need to either have really high-quality content and/or really high quality systems that allow for the emergent appearance of such content.options.

this assumption is based on what exactly? why is everything griefers vs non griefers? there are plenty of situations where the sharks pve and the fish pvp, trying to make these roles rigid is a really bad assumption on player behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's not necessarily wrong. You need spaces for the less aggressively minded players to either stay (EVE hi-sec) or work up courage to go into (EVE low-sec), and SweetBro is right, that most of the UO revival games are terrible at providing this. AO especially doesn't really have a game beyond gathering resources to then lose in PvP, yet they still have the systems in place that punish actually trying to take peoples poo poo. EVE is basically the only place where the UO dream still exists in some manageable, working form and even then it goes to great lengths to ensure that 99% of the people who don't want to, poor suicide ganked miners aside, never interact with the loss portion.

Bad game bad.

• Locked thread