Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
This game just appeared on my radar yesterday, and it's releasing... Today?! Where did this game come from? Anybody else seen it pop up and consider playing it or already bought in?

The game is basically "We took Ultima Online and are working to copy it where ever possible, with a World of Warcraft art style."

The trailer is about the only source of media you'll find. Youtube has a grand total of 2 other videos on this game which are insanely crappy "Lets Play" of a guy doing some lumberjacking for an hour.

I can't find any previews/reviews from game sites. The only info I can really glean from official forum posts/steam discussions are the skills open to players:

Meet Neojac. If you make a thread on their forums/Steam discussions asking questions, this guy will probably be your answer giver. He's the community guy furiously answering peoples questions as they lead up to release.

Game releases in 4 hours as of this post. Anybody else down to try it?

E: Guess game is still in beta and I'm a moron. :shrug:

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

lalaland posted:

"releasing today"? you mean it will enter early access pre alpha so it will actually release in about never

I was under the impression they were leaving beta, but upon more reading they aren't. I wouldn't call it pre-alpha though.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Scent of Worf posted:

Why did you post this?

Well generally there are threads about MMOs in this place. I was surprised I found an MMO i hadn't previously heard of in some form. Even more surprised nobody had made a thread about it because every MMO seems to have a thread in here no matter how lovely it is.

I really like the sandbox that was Ultima Online many years ago, and would like to see something following the same format but with newer graphics and some quality of life improvements.

Posting the thread would make more people aware of the game. I don't care if people want to come in here and threadshit or not because that kind of happens no matter what.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Byolante posted:

There arte like 8 ultima online spiritual sequels in the hmo currently, it should be loving :sirens: that you haven't heard about this one

I guess report the thread and call in the mods to shut this down.

This game does seem to throw out the "spiritual" and is just wholesale copying many things from UO though. I'll get to see more once idiots pay way too much and post more videos than "guy chops some lumber".

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Even back in the day, UO had a site that cataloged everything.

I think the thing that stuck with me most was how fragile your character was, learning that dying was okay and friends were what counted.

It's honestly more like Dark Souls than a modern MMO.

Sign me up for a Dark Souls MMO.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

As long as the reward for pvpers is ruining another player's day, you can't really quantify a balanced reward structure.

That said, I have thought about a system where pve players in a pvp zone have a limited amount of times they can die before they are pvp immune for a time. Also considered treating pve players more like dungeon mini-bosses while in a pvp zone, so that you literally need a gank group to take out an otherwise defenseless miner. Interesting mechanics to think about but probably never work out in practice.

The reason it worked in UO was that a group of people killing a murderer ruined more than his day. Killing a notorious murderer would ruin his week or longer, depending on how much he wanted to grind those stats back. Also the other thing I mentioned where murderers can't enter any towns/have protection for themselves outside of forming a murder gang or standing in their house. E: Also, murderers didn't really target miners or other profession people. They targetted PvE players which were hardly defenseless. Tamers had dragon pets which far outclassed a player in terms of strength, for one example.

The reason I like the system is that PvP in most other MMO's have no risk/reward. You kill and kill and kill and the person just resurrects and nobody cares.

Makes it even funnier when people do get mad though. I don't understand why people get mad about the current stuff when legit nothing is lost.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 22, 2017

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

As long as the reward for pvpers is ruining another player's day, you can't really quantify a balanced reward structure.

Freakazoid_ posted:

You could recover those lost stats in about 3 days.

Hmmm.

Not saying a gatherer would never be targetted, but they were not gone after because there was little gain to it. You can't exactly take a ton of ore that weighs a million pounds and run with it. The miner just revives nearby and buys a few supplies and is back to his task. If they are targetted, they pissed somebody off or it was probably to do with guild warfare or something.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
It's always funny when people claim how bad UO was, that if you say something good about it it's just lame nostalgia... Then they jump to correct you on things because it doesn't match their rose colored memories.

Let alone even challenging me that it had little/no effect on the persons efforts towards "ruining their day".

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Actually I did! Which part of what I said seems to give you your conclusion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I don't recall it saying it never happened. Much less so than other players though.

Waiting for a link on how a drive by ruined the miners day though, or how it was hard for the miner to simply res and carry on.

• Locked thread