Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Sum Mors posted:

Well generally there are threads about MMOs in this place. I was surprised I found an MMO i hadn't previously heard of in some form. Even more surprised nobody had made a thread about it because every MMO seems to have a thread in here no matter how lovely it is.

I really like the sandbox that was Ultima Online many years ago, and would like to see something following the same format but with newer graphics and some quality of life improvements.

Posting the thread would make more people aware of the game. I don't care if people want to come in here and threadshit or not because that kind of happens no matter what.

There arte like 8 ultima online spiritual sequels in the hmo currently, it should be loving :sirens: that you haven't heard about this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

AlmightyBob posted:

The big difference between peak UO and all the successors is that gankers were the minority in UO

The writing for this sort of game was on the wall as soon as trammel arrived and everyone fled to carebear island

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

It's not necessarily wrong. You need spaces for the less aggressively minded players to either stay (EVE hi-sec) or work up courage to go into (EVE low-sec), and SweetBro is right, that most of the UO revival games are terrible at providing this. AO especially doesn't really have a game beyond gathering resources to then lose in PvP, yet they still have the systems in place that punish actually trying to take peoples poo poo. EVE is basically the only place where the UO dream still exists in some manageable, working form and even then it goes to great lengths to ensure that 99% of the people who don't want to, poor suicide ganked miners aside, never interact with the loss portion.

Bad game bad.

3/4 of the eve player base never leave high sec

http://imgur.com/a/KOdub

pvp servers in wow are ghost towns or have faction imbalances so great it is essentially a pve server

The whole problem with making a game for sharks like this is that sharks tend to want encounters where they are in a far superior position to their quarry.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Sum Mors posted:

Hmmm.

Not saying a gatherer would never be targetted, but they were not gone after because there was little gain to it. You can't exactly take a ton of ore that weighs a million pounds and run with it. The miner just revives nearby and buys a few supplies and is back to his task. If they are targetted, they pissed somebody off or it was probably to do with guild warfare or something.

spawn camping, totally not a thing

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

randombattle posted:

Part of it is having people who don't want to be griefed but a lot of it also comes down to not laying it all out on the table.

This is the reason these games always fail. Now there is something else, where are you going to find people willing to play who also don't want to be griefed.

• Locked thread