Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Man the days of the wild west of MMO's are over. You won't recapture the magic, the playerbase has aged so don't really want to buy another silver dingdong of vanquishing every time they let their guard slip in a dungeon.

I don't know why people keep trying to "Recapture the Magic of UO". Go play on a free shard, get those rose tinted goggles torn off then boot up something that doesn't suck. The real magic of MMO's died when wiki's and youtube guides became a normalized thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Byolante posted:

The writing for this sort of game was on the wall as soon as trammel arrived and everyone fled to carebear island

I only liked Trammel because I could finally have a loving house. I lived in (Abandoned) fel though. Once the split happened the dungeons in fel became pretty much loving abandoned, so that's where I did any money farming + PvP.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Byolante posted:

3/4 of the eve player base never leave high sec

http://imgur.com/a/KOdub

pvp servers in wow are ghost towns or have faction imbalances so great it is essentially a pve server

The whole problem with making a game for sharks like this is that sharks tend to want encounters where they are in a far superior position to their quarry.

Eve is a bad case study for this due to it being a game where alts are necessary to get the most out of the game. I had two null combat pilots and three highsec market dudes who ultimately existed to funnel resources to my null pilot. My stats bolstered the never leave highsec argument despite spending 99% of my active playtime in null.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sum Mors posted:

I don't recall it saying it never happened. Much less so than other players though.

Waiting for a link on how a drive by ruined the miners day though, or how it was hard for the miner to simply res and carry on.

Uhhhh, reds/greys/blues I pissed off were far more leery of me than a nerd with a pack mule full of ingots that were dead easy to kill or gently caress with.

During the dread days it wasn't unusual to see miners fighting over the few coveted in town mining spots.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

randombattle posted:

If everyone goes into a game expecting to be griefed then no one really is. All in all it's really more than just killing someone in game or ruining something they were working on. Really griefing is about getting one over on the systems behind the scenes as much as someone on the other side of the game. Too many of these knock off UO games just lay it all out and take that away which just makes it no fun. Part of it is having people who don't want to be griefed but a lot of it also comes down to not laying it all out on the table.

You say that, but for years CCP literally advertised EVE as a game where you gently caress people over/scam/steal whatever, it was all fair game. Yet I've still seen people completely wig the gently caress out over a minor theft. I got one guy so mad he claimed to have beaten his laptop to death on the official forums.

Yet they were pre-warned, many times.

• Locked thread