Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
it's like someone rolled over a big rock in the forest, but instead of insects a bunch of sandbox mmos came crawling out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
As long as the reward for pvpers is ruining another player's day, you can't really quantify a balanced reward structure.

That said, I have thought about a system where pve players in a pvp zone have a limited amount of times they can die before they are pvp immune for a time. Also considered treating pve players more like dungeon mini-bosses while in a pvp zone, so that you literally need a gank group to take out an otherwise defenseless miner. Interesting mechanics to think about but probably never work out in practice.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sum Mors posted:

Killing a notorious murderer would ruin his week or longer, depending on how much he wanted to grind those stats back.

My impression at the time was that they did not have a problem, as macroing was hard to detect and relied heavily on others snitching on them. I recall many sightings where a house would have a trapped mob in the corner for such purposes. You could recover those lost stats in about 3 days.

I played on Pacific back in the day, my miner was occasionally the target of pvp in the mountain area next to Minoc, for no reason other than they could.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not really surprised that happened, but still, that's a special kind of sociopath.

I have more respect for that guy who pulled a pyramid scheme pretending to be a bank or something. It was really obvious, yet so many people let their greed override good judgement. I couldn't help but laugh at the whole thing.

• Locked thread