Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
IDK but like everything is up on the wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

The inherit problems with games where griefing is a possibility is that making GBS threads on pubbies is only fun when they don't want to be shat on. So you need to have a sizeable population of players who don't want to participate in the griefing mechanics of the game, but are still playing. As such you basically need to create a compelling enough game where the largest population of the game is interested in the content not related to dicking people over. Because of that you need to either have really high-quality content and/or really high quality systems that allow for the emergent appearance of such content. The problem is that most of these games all focus on "Hey, remember how in UO you could be dick? Well you can be a dick here too!" The problem is that messaging only appeals to people who like to be dicks, which inherently just creates a massive sausage fests.

So in a reaction to the game being a massive sausage fest, the devs a bunch of systems and mechanics to attract pussies, by punishing dicks. This in most cases causes severe penalties for being a dick such as to the point where it's simply not worth it (basically Salem is a poster child for this where committing a single crime is a fast way to get your character perma-killed while you're offline). The problem now is that the game has a bunch of dicks who wanna gently caress something up but can't because they'll lose their loving card if they do, and a bunch of pussies playing a game that lacks the content and depth of other MMOs because all the development time was spent on mechanics no one wants to loving use. Fairly sure the only reason why UO was even played as much by the general population, was the fact that there were simply almost no other options.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

beep_boop posted:

Yeah, when they added Trammel/Felucca pretty much everyone fled to Trammel (the non PVP zone). Felucca pretty much turned into a zergfest around the gates.

I know sarcasm translate poorly over the internet, but I have a hard time anyone wasn't seeing a Stewie Griffin style 90 degree head tilt in their mind as they were reading that.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

You say that, but for years CCP literally advertised EVE as a game where you gently caress people over/scam/steal whatever, it was all fair game. Yet I've still seen people completely wig the gently caress out over a minor theft. I got one guy so mad he claimed to have beaten his laptop to death on the official forums.

Yet they were pre-warned, many times.

Nah CCP advertised the emergent gameplay bullshit aspect of EVE which also happens to include griefing aspects. Plus, because unlike games like MO where Pickpocketing is an actual game mechanic that exist for the sole purpose of griefing, EVE's griefing mechanics exist on mostly a meta-level.

Also gently caress whomever decided to bump this thread. This thread deserved archives.

• Locked thread