Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uatfvywxmU

So I just watched the video. The commentary was doing a great job of setting up that Finn might beat Roman this time, but dangit Roman's got an injured arm, it isn't a fair fight!

Then Roman wins anyway. So a practically 1 armed Roman beat Finn, huh? Their way of booking Roman to piss people off sure works on me :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

Orton v Jinder is going to be absolutely terrible. If even AJ can't drag a halfway decent match out of Jinder then Orton has no loving chance.

e: also I understand why they have contract signings for title matches but why the gently caress did they do one for a totally pointless 6-woman tag?

Because they're bad at writing, but they at least covered it at the beginning of the segment their excuse: Natalya asked for it to be in the ring because she had something to say to the faces in front of the whole world.

Contract signing exist to have a confrontation without violence (which is why the trope being turned into always violence at signings in WWE is awful). Some of the NXT ones have been great because it allows characters to poo poo talk, to show off their beef, develop characters and relationships. But when violence happens always it's kinda disappointing to me. If every feud is a blood feud where they can't control themselves, it's not special.

Sugar Blaster posted:

i finally saw guardians vol. 2 earlier tonight and i still can't get over how hilarious it is that vince and co. continue to not take batista up on his offer to come back for another run for no reason other than what amounts to petty spite at this point.

I think his interest went away. Honestly though, if they built him up well in a 1-2 month return rampage as 'hollywood dick' Batista, I'd enjoy him facing Brock. His best matches were often against the big guys who could work, would be a draw (I'd like to think), and a fresh match.

bradzilla posted:

1. Nope it's real
2. Yes

I really hope they're not putting the strap on Jinder, he was really badly exposed last night as a bad promo and bad wrestler. He needs to go back to comedy jobbing like yesterday.

e: Apparently to fill out the Backlash card, they added Rowan vs. Harper and Aiden English vs. Tye Dillinger :confused:

Rematches from 2 clean wins and 1 eye poke win, who isn't in love?

And lol at the fashion police's burn on Corbin. "3 shirts, all wolves." And I'm glad they're soft burying the 'day one ish' bullshit, it's such a bad slogan. WHY WE DO THIS? THIS DAY ONE ISH (holds up title). Just means nothing. Plus their 'It's not paranoia, it's the USOS' feels like a catchphrase based on a plotline, except that never happened so instead it's just them hard forcing a catchphrase.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

I'd guess that Jinder doesn't want to get saddled with yet another version of the "Evil Heel Foreigner" gimmick.

Plus I can imagine some of the fans just booing that Jinder became a main eventer purely for a generic 'evil foreigner' gimmick. The heat could have come from so many directions, and was legitimate enough, that you can't call it genius.

Plus the fact that the fans in the building can be wrong. To harp on the Bayley thing more, the crowd popped huge when she won the title, but she still should have only won the title at Wrestlemania and it was a drat waste to do it on RAW.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

VJeff posted:

It was still a great TV moment and any crowd is gonna pop for the babyface winning the championship.

I mean, you're right, but you can never really blame a crowd cheering a championship change.

That's my point, but I kind of put it wrong. The audience can enjoy or hate a thing, but that doesn't necessarily mean you did a good job.

Eli Wiggum posted:

I wonder where we'd be at right now if Jinder defied Vince and went with the original promo. I guess it's a moot point since Jinder doesn't necessarily have much pull to do such a thing no matter how much in love Vince is with his physique.

That would involve Jinder not being such a robot.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Remember when Dolph cashed in on Del Rio and everyone went nuts?

They had a hope they were making a new star. This was incorrect. Seriously, the concussion storyline and being quickly jobbed out to Del Rio of all people, then moved swiftly back down to midcard after he returned from injury is a good way to make people no longer care about him, and make Dolph more bitter.

Honestly I'm not even sure why people like Team Rocket that much. AJ and Big E were super likeable, but as a unit they didn't even really combine well.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Remember that time Dolph was the last man standing in a Survivor Series match, coming back from a 3 on 1 situation, and won with a little help from Sting at the end? Then the next night he came out and gave all the credit to Sting and everyone barely acknowledged that he was the sole survivor.

They built it up as a big moment kinda......except didn't follow through with booking, and put all the focus on the fact that Cena could reinstate the Authority any time he wanted to.

They made it incredibly obvious immediately that the stip was going to be reversed, so Dolph's big win meant a lot less.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i thought old schoolers -- and i don't know if jericho even properly fits under that term, but whatever -- always just "called it" in the ring. i respect where punk's coming from but i side with jericho on this.

Consider it like the story of how DDP gave Chris Benoit a copy of the script for their match and Benoit ripped it up in front of him. Each had their preferred style of working out a match, but Benoit was a dick about his preference.

And I can see the things they wanted to go over being simple enough but important to work out, and being annoyed at a colleague for not wanting to prepare for your show.

The lack of concious decision to become bad does sound like the beginning of Summer Rae

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm ready for 7 Star Jinder to prove he's the best in the world

Edit: And by Best I mean Okada showing up disguised as Jinder

Okada showing up would actually make the show good. I'm not sure much else would.

Heavy Metal posted:

Like a government mule! Bowling shoe ugly.

In all seriousness, JR is currently on WWE contract, there's no reason he can't call this match.

It's not unreasonable to try and focus on the newer younger commentators- and JR is getting worse with age. Enjoy your bizarre UK JR and that's all you're going to get!

Also, commentary rant:
During Tyler Bate/Pete Dunne there was a moment where Tyler knocked down Dunne outside the ring, noticed it was the count of 8, looked at the ref, thought about it, then decided to throw Pete into the ring to try and win by pinfall or submission and not just take the 'weak' win. Pete Dunne then slid out because he's an rear end in a top hat who wants every advantage he can get, and used this to get his comeback into the match.

Commentary mentioned none of this fantastic storytelling.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Lid posted:

In years from now there will be matches with Kinder Mahal

There will be royal rumbles

They will say JINDER MAHAL the FORMER WWE CHAMPION

This will be true for all history

It will never go away that Jinder Mahal former champion

I take it I wasn't the only one laughing a bit every time they mentioned Dolph Ziggler, 2 time world heavyweight champion?

CubsWoo posted:

https://streamable.com/72790

The Hindi commentary team was pleased

Extensive cheating using 2 friends to win? INDIA #1!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

As much poo poo as I give Jinder Dolph is worse.

It was a great example of how to make Nakamura awful was just have him do the WWE style face in peril. God his match with Zayn was so great.

ThePariah posted:

It's a shame that Cesaro is too foreign and uncharismatic to be WWE Champion. Hopefully Jinder will be generous enough to give him a few pointers on how to succeed.

Maybe he should learn to be from a country with a billion more people. Did Cesaro ever think of that? Or at least to claim his ancestry is from there sufficiently.

DoctorGonzo posted:

No, really what the gently caress they are doing with Becky

Letting her do her own hair, seemingly. Has there been worse hair in WWE since Bull Nakano?

Muddy Burphy posted:

It's a bummer for sure, but if advertisers don't want to advertise pro wrestling they should have every right to opt out.

I don't think it's advertisers, but Youtube just thinking it's safe to do so.

DLC Inc posted:

I didnt watch so was the show good or not overall?

I'm glad Orton is no longer champion, please never let him hold a loving belt ever again. Please let Rusev be next.

The show was a great example of a nothing WWE show. Some matches that were alright but not really worth going out of your way for, nothing truly horrible.

And what will likely be remembered as a historically bad decision. I could be wrong, but holy gently caress everything about Jinder Mahal WWE Champion is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

there's no way Abyss ever took steroids

I'd easily believe TNA had a steroid table in place of a catering table.

Efexeye posted:

k, finally saw nakamura wrestle

nope, still don't get the appeal

He's very good at strong style. Not necessarily great at WWE crappy match against Ziggler style.

• Locked thread