Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
That option isn't there anymore. Youtube player is supposed to remember the quality you selected, and automatically switch to the closest available quality on future videos. This doesn't work reliably for me, and when it does the player takes 15 - 20 seconds to switch to a higher quality. Instead I use the browser extension Magic Actions for Youtube. It has a bunch of features I like in addition to forcing a default quality setting.

Edit: The Youtube Help page on the subject. (bolding mine)

quote:

Change video quality
Change the video quality by going to Settings in the corner of the video player, and selecting your preferred quality.

On mobile devices, adjust quality settings by tapping Menu , then Settings . This option isn’t available on all devices (e.g. TV/game consoles), or connections (e.g. iOS on a cellular network).

Note that choosing lower video quality (such as 240p and 360p) will make videos start more quickly. The video player will remember this for future playbacks.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread