Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I don't even know what the world is coming to when I can't make two fire emblems kiss and get a two sentence blurb in the epilogue about how they lived together happily forever.

Nintendo is withholding crucial gameplay here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Real talk, there are a lot of things across all the reviews that give me a lot of pause. Like 1 item/unit seems like a really weird choice. Or fixed accuracy for spells. Or terrain with +60 goddamn avoid. Female units lacking tier 3 classes. The fatigue system. The maps. 1-5 range bows.

I do think the way mages work is cool though, and it would be neat to see that expanded on in a future FE title. Things that make characters non-homogeneous is always cool.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

In order:

1 item/unit is kind of neat.

I get its kind of neat, but doesn't it remove a lot of in-chapter tactical stuff? I dunno, I like having a variety of options with various tradeoffs which it looks like mages get and no one else does.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Kind of? Realistically, you weren't really using those tradeoffs that much, mostly just switching to 1-2 range weapons when you needed them or equipping stuff that was effective against whatever you were hitting. Sometimes you'd switch to whatever was more accurate even if it did less damage, or fish for a crit, but there weren't really that many tactical considerations. Fates kind of changed that, but it kind of overcorrected imo, it had a huge floating numbers problem.

Weapon Skills sort of make up for the lack of them, plus Echoes emphasizes positioning, terrain, and enemy prioritization over who to send to attack/what weapon to use to attack with/etc. And since you deploy every unit in every battle (except in dungeons) you can sort of think of your two cavaliers/three mercenaries as your different 'weapon' options.

I think you're underselling the tactical switching a bit, especially w/r/t effective weapons and juggling them across your party even in a pre-Fates world. Like you listed a whole bunch of situations where you'd use various weapons over another and arranging your limited inventory of weapons across your characters was always a fun little optimization game I liked to play.

Fair enough on the weapon skills though, and the every unit deployment though. It looks like Echoes overall just doesn't have a ton of variety in classes/weapons anyways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

The player has access to maybe 6-7 classes total, yeah. Fortunately the small roster and split nature of the game means most everyone has a unique niche to fill anyway. For instance, Celica gets like 4 mercenaries, but Saber's unique niche is being an early game tank for an army of mages, Kamui's is being a pretty strong offensive unit that usually doubles, Dean's is being a lategame glasscannon, and Jesse's niche is being bad. Not to mention stuff like mages and clerics having personalized spell lists, which is something I adore.

Yeah, personalized spell lists are rad as hell and easily the feature I'm most hoping makes it into a new FE game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

On the fence about this. Don't have any nostalgia for this game since I never played it. Kind of feel like if I went back to such an old janky game I'd just end up wishing I was playing Conquest instead.

I'm struggling to think of any standard by which you could describe the Fates plot as "quality".

Fates had a really good hook and in broad strokes Birthright is totally passable I guess.

Conquest is absolutely insulting though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The male classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)
Soldier (3 tiers)
Archer (3 tiers)

The female classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cleric (2 tiers)
Pegasus Knight (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)

The female-exclusive classes are both two tiers and the male-exclusive classes are both three tiers, but the shares classes split the difference.

You're missing Mercenary for males which also has 3 tiers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ruggington posted:

I'm gonna kiss the boys even if intsys doesnt want me to

No one kisses in Valentia.

Except Faye and Alm. In Faye's head.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

for some reason every single character in the game has some kind of unrequited love)

Are they at least less weird about it than with Catria and Cordelia?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

So is there going to be a metric butt ton of DLC for this like there was for Fates and Awakening? I didn't see that mentioned by Endorph yet.

There's a fuckton, yeah. $45 dollars for the season pass.

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/downloadable-content/

Includes four separate grinding maps!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I like how there are seperate dlcs that just unlock a new tier of classes for each class line.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Retcon posted:

Got the LE a day early :toot: Same store that put the Fates LE on their shelves a day early, too - gotta love stores with small video game departments that don't really care about putting stuff out a bit early.

Might have missed that in the OP, but if I don't recruit Faye/Kliff, do I miss out on anything? I remember reading that I just get them later on if I skip recruiting them for now.

You can recruit them with Celica instead of Alm if you skip them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

quote:

She’s the alluring big sister type

Well im never buying this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Is Lukas just supposed to be utter garbage? Because so far he seems really garbage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also I can't find a good explaination in game, but weight functions like the 'effective doubling speed' mod steel weapons had in Fates right? Like its subtracted from your speed for the purposes of offensice doubling but helps protect you from being doubled right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

It straight up modifies your speed stat.

Are you sure? Then why the hell doesn't it just show negative modifiers on your status screen like Steel weapons do?

Ugh I really dislike this interface. It seems designed to hide info.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

No I'm not. I assumed you were talking about the negative modifier on your stat screen since my english copy isn't arrive until tomorrow

I'm talking about how Fire has 3 weight. Kliff has 5 speed and cannot double 4 speed cavaliers. However, they also don't double him.

That's why Im making the assumption it just affects your ability to double or they should be doubling him, right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Since you don't equip spells in Echoes like you would equip items, and thus don't see the speed cut on the status menu, do you just have to keep track of Spd - Wt with brain? Which spell does a Mage counter with (and suffer the Speed penalty for) when attacked, the one last used?

From my experience they always counter with Fire. So if an enemy attacks from 3 tiles away they won't counter with Thunder/Arrow and will just eat it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
To be fair, with the default detailed combat view I couldn't figure out where the accuracy indictor was for a while.

But everything else was super easy to figure out. Especially once I switched to simplified (which probably should be the default)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Wait the fountains are 3 boosts apiece?

:negative:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Oh my god, leveling Clair up is so painful. She does like 1 damage.

Yeah. She really needs the iron/steel lance because the back half of chapter 1 is like all mid/high def dudes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I just got that. +15 to attack and it's 1-2 range?! Can you say "busted"?

I gave it to Alm. Seemed like a good idea.

Ah. I gave mine to Faye. I can pass it over to Clair. She needs levels.

Note the Levin sword is just 15 attack, it removes your strength from the equation.

Still ridiculous since it targets Res, but it stops one-rounding a lot of stuff late in Chapter 1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Booky posted:

I just got this game and I was wondering: Is any of the paid DLC considered good/worth it?

Also, Villagers can promote at like 7 right? Are you supposed to basically instantly promote them at that point?

Villagers can promote at 3 and you absolutely should promote them ASAP so they stop being deadweight.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Booky posted:

I'm eyeing the Cipher DLC, tbh. :v:

And is the promote everyone instantly thing due to like low stat caps or something?

They only get stat boosts if they're under the class' bases to bring them up to that. Also even if you promote everyone ASAP they almost definitely won't cap by endgame.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

also Nosferatu seems really really busted, Faye is a lil' killer

Silque is a bit more eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh but she can still not die at least

Wait until Faye gets +20 to hit from her Alm support.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Booky posted:

Ohhh, ok. Thanks for the help, everyone! :)

Also, when do non-Villagers get to promote? Does the game tell you?

Yeah, game tells you.

Most dude classes promote at level 7 then level 10. Female classes and mages at 12 or 15.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I've gotten a couple supports. You're not limited by how many ranks total you can get, right? Characters just have very limited support options.

Like, Alm could get A with Faye and A with anybody else he can support with at the same time?

Yeah. They are story gated though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Kilff is too useful because he's the only one hitting 95% while everyone else is struggling to hit 70.

This was Alm for me.

Alm and Celica are ridiculous

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I don't want to dig through the thread for full spoilers, but are there any traps or things I should really know in advance like "don't recruit this guy he sucks and if you wait until X to get him you get some OMGthing"?

You can use every pair of fountains 3 times split however you want (so 3 of 1, or 2/1).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I am a bit disappointed in Palla. Catria at the same level has like +5 spd/+1 str and same everything else.

Get your poo poo together Palla!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

The Dragons double everyone on Hard, otherwise I would just box it in without problem.

Celica was doubling it on my Hard file. So I nuked the first one and then just surrounded the other with people it couldn't one round and nuked it with Celica.

But my Alm and Celica are stupidly stat blessed overall.

The later map with 4 was a bit harder, but Genny just summoned some meatshields and the idiot AI went after them instead of my dudes.

Genny breaks the goddamn game wide open with her summons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I think I need to start grinding. Midway through chapter 3 is kicking my rear end because if there's 3+ gargoyles, I'm dead.

Yeah maybe. Your Myrmidons should be wrecking them, especially whichever one you gave the blessed sword to on Celica's side.

Are your dude units not at their tier 2 classes?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm talking about Alm's team.

I have Kliff (mage), Alm and Grey (Levin sword) who can all one round them, 2 knight who can completely tank them and most of the rest of the team can chip one down. If Faye gets a little lucky she can one round them as well with Nosferatu. They only have 10 speed, right?

My Alm is a monster.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Are you playing on normal, because the gargoyles range from 12-15 speed.

Im playing on Hard, but I haven't hit that tier of gargoyle yet I guess. Im in chapter 3 but I've mostly done Celica's stuff.

Though I will say I have Clair at 16, Grey at 17, Alm at 14 and Kliff at 14 speed. Peg/Myrm/level 12/level 11 mage

...looking at averages my dudes are absurdly blessed which may be skewing things.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 20, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just beat the first dungeon! I am a Fire Emblem champion!

Who should I make drink from the Speed and HP soda fountains?

I have seen time and time again it posted to promote immediately. Question is, do you need seals to promote this time, or is that something you just do in the menu in between battles?

You do it at the Mila shrines at the end of every dungeon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Supremezero posted:

*first Alm level up raises everything but Res*

... I thought growth rates were terrible in this game.

Alm and Celica are exceptions mostly. They have really good overall growths.

No one has more than single digit res growth though. And several people have 0.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

you should be class changing everyone ASAP.

TBH this game's class change system just codifies what's always been true in FE games (promoting early is good), so it's funny to see people who cling to kind of untrue gamefaqs advice not realizing it.

It depends pretty heavily on the game. Games with late games that scale hard, like Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn or Fates, really don't do well with early promotion because you'll probably be capping and enemy stats are high enough losing 10 levels of stats hurts bad.

In most games its fine or beneficial though. Like in FE7/8 or this game you aren't capping so early stat boosts are good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The worst part of this game is how tedious the random encounters are, holy poo poo. Especially the ones that spawn on the overworld, they're just the same goddamn thing over and over.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, I have a ton of really tanky mages while my Myrms are all kinda mediocre there.

Boey/Kliff/Celica/Faye are all rocking higher def than Saber/Grey/Kamui/Atlas.

Even Mae is hitting her def growth more consistently than them. If they didn't have the promotion bonus she'd have more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is there a way of dealing with teleporting witches other than pray that they got after someone with decent res?

Not really. They are some utter bullshit.

• Locked thread