Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was also much less impressed by Mathilda but that could be bad luck with growths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
whoa when you promote kliff to a mercenary he goes from being the doofy one to being the brooding sexy one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Generic "bow" isn't effective against fliers, and flier effectiveness is only +4 damage

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm playing through slowly because I've already played the Japanese version and I just finished act 2. While most of the game isn't a new experience, the translation is really knocking it out of the park (and my Japanese isn't good enough to judge things like prose quality so while I understood what was going on that was about it). The Gray/Tobin and Mae/Boey bickering is incredible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only time in the game that backtracking is cut off is that Celica can't explore the act 1 areas after you finish act 2. Just keep playing and come back to the guy when you get your third.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

marshmallow creep posted:

Celica gets the Rion and Fugue shields, and can give the Fugue shield to the correct guy, but the Rion guy was in Zofia castle. Do I have to know in advance this happens so I can send the Rion to Alm through the Peddler or is there another way to get the Rion shield to its guy?

Worst case scenario, the two parties merge in the postgame

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder if anybody has ever used the hp spring over the experience spring in the sylvan shrine

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be an extra archer and archers are good.

Actually they're pretty bad

It's kind of incredible how bad units with 1-5 range can be

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
re: whitewings chat from a page or so ago

Palla and Catria are really, really dependent on hitting their growths. If they hit their averages in attack and speed they're suddenly the best combat units in Celica's squad. If they don't, they're a necessary evil because flying is really, really, good in Celica's fights.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vernatio posted:

I know this isn't exactly a fresh opinion, but why does Alm's army suck so much rear end. I'm only in chapter 3, so I guess there's time to bounce back, but I can't see him ever reaching Celica's heights of four Dread Fighters and a swathe of stupid powerful mages.

Celica has two powerful mages, a mediocre mage, and "why are you even here" Boey

I guess if you count Genny then you might be at a swathe

e: Nomah exists too I guess but he's basically a healbot

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Celica, Mae, Sonya and Genny are top tier.

Then Boey and potentially Atlas.

Then way the gently caress after everyone else Nomah.

Meanwhile Alm only really has Faye and Delthea. Luthier is terrible and Kliff/the other villagers are mediocre at best.

Sonia seems pretty mediocre to me tbh

Mage Tobin is also pretty good because he gets Excalibur super early but otherwise I agree

I wasn't disputing that Celica's army is mostly stronger, just that she has a swathe of powerful mages

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

is Faye supposed to be good? am I "owned"

Faye is real good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can personally vouch for her being good as a mage or pegasus knight too. I don't think you can really go wrong with her

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

XainZero posted:

Are you supposed to beat Jedah in the swamp? If so, how???

It's a defense chapter (though the game doesn't tell you that). You automatically win after a certain turn.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

He only nullifies the first three attacks against him. Pass around the mage and grimoire rings, since you can trade then attack.

edit: Oh, I didn't even know, the thing Cheetah just said.

I have beaten Gaiden twice and Echoes once without realizing it is possible to damage Jedah

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

Boey with the grimoire ring does like 20 to him with arrow, Nomah's arrow does like 10, and the girls' seraphim does like 7-9 to him.

Yeah but I never knew he only nullified a limited number of attacks

Is it because my Japanese is bad or does it actually not tell you?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad Mathilda was able to find a boyfriend with a fetish for her killing people

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
An FE5, FE7, or FE9 remake with this level of aesthetic polish would probably be my literal favorite game of all time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Awakening was fun. Conquest and Birthright, mixed together in roughly equal proportions, would be fun--the problem with each is more lack of map variety than fundamental map problems

None of them really stand up to repeated replays though but judging them on how you feel when confronted with booting them up for the third or fourth or fifth time isn't really fair when this game is still in its honeymoon phase

The aesthetics of this game absolutely will not fade when the honeymoon is over I guarantee. The gameplay easily could.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The wind map is the worst map in conquest and I can think of three worse maps in this game off the top of my head, with a few more arguable ones

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have probably spent more time in this game doing braindead simple one turn clears of dungeon fights than I spent in Conquest being annoyed by gimmicks (when playing normal mode of each)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Are you counting Revelations wind map as well?

There's a reason I said Conquest, not Fates

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In the original Gaiden Celica could recruit Forsyth and Python. Dunno if that's still true

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The dialogue box telling you Celica learned Ragnarok Ω doesn't have that character and calls it "Ragnarok ?"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

If you're asking where the super version is, it's under Arts

No I know that, and it displays correctly in her skill list

I'm saying the popup box that shows up whenever a character learns a new art doesn't have Ω in its font

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think this game proved pretty conclusively that limited supports are better than expansive supports. A hypothetical FE4 remake would obviously go full shipping stimulator but other than that I hope they leave the idea alone

Except to put shipping in Heroes, they should do that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If Silque has to be sacrificed at the altar of giving us an extra Faye-centric support I'm okay with that

Shame about the filler B rank though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dungeons are why the turnwheel exists tbh

Dungeons are the only mechanical aspect of this game (i.e., excluding map design) that I definitely do not want to see return in future titles. The rest range from wanting to see them always or being okay if they return sometimes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mandatory lesbian posted:

I really like the characters and story and I think the Final Dungeon Battle were good, but the desert and swamp maps of Celica's route can all die in a garbage fire.

overall I'm happy with the game but I won't replay it very often probably. Please Remake Sacred Stones

After playing through twice now I don't think it's actually true that the whitewings are, mechanically, that much better than anyone else in Celica's route. They probably have comparable or worse stat spreads to Celica, Saber, and Mae off the top of my head

They just seem incredible because they get a huge level lead because you get ten maps in a row where your options are do a surgical strike with your fliers or spend 50 turns wading through horrible maps

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

No, though I guess technically 3/12 are a sequel since they take place after and feature characters that were in Gaiden.

No one ever mentions anything about them though.

I think Sirius says some things that make more sense if you've played Gaiden but he doesn't directly expound on anything

The whitewings straight up do not mention their Valentian adventures

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly, dragons being revived eviler and more powerful than before is a series staple so

They can also sorta live on through humans who bear their brand (e.g. Julius from FE4)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cuntellectual posted:

What's the name of the theme that plays on the player turn for Celica?

Also can you recruit Palla and Catria as Alm if you don't do so as Celica? Debating if I should do so on a second playthrough.

Alm can't visit Celica's areas ever (well, until post-game when the armies merge rather)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

So I went the wrong way on the Celica path and those two Pegasus sisters left me. Are they gone forever? gently caress!

Go back to town and you can re-recruit them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Devoyniche posted:

How badly can you gently caress up by making your units the wrong type? I havent been worrying too much about it but I made Faye a Pegasus Knight and Gray a Mercenary, instead of cleric and cavalry, thinking Faye would be like that generic Pegasus Knight you get early on in every FE, that becomes a glass cannon, but then in like the literal next map, I ended up recruiting that one girl who starts as a pegasus knight and is probably the glass cannon. I also made Tobin an archer and Kliff a mage. Now Im fighting a bunch of cavalry dudes and kinda like, peg knights dont hit hard enough and are low defense, so their extra mobility doesnt matter for much. Did I gently caress up?

Faye is always good. You can turn one mercenary into a Good Unit by giving them the lightning sword (which you get early)--it really doesn't matter what their stats are at that point

Kliff is pretty good as a mage

Tobin might be kinda hosed though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

So I beat the main game, and now there's chapter 6 postgame. I'm kinda done to my satisfaction, is there more story now or is it just your typical postgame dungeon for folks who wanna keep playing?

It's a series of boring, punishing boat maps followed by a dungeon which I never did when playing through the first time but is by all accounts terrible. There's a bit of plot which ties in with Awakening

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

Tobin was fine as an archer for me, particularly since the Killer Bow has a double-attack art for lategame. People tend to reccomend mercs because they're a handy unit, brave swords are easy to come by for 50% and up crit rates, and their class bases in speed and skill make up for the low growths of a lot of characters, but really anyone can do well in any class depending on how you use them. Faye's the toughest choice because the mobility for peg knights is great but as a cleric she gets Physic and Rescue which are incredibly handy.

I think mage Faye actually has a lot to recommend her. Physic and rescue are hard to give up but imo the thing Alm is missing most is offensive firepower, and that's what mage Faye brings to the table

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

How much more offensive power do you need? You already have Gray aka I Am Mercenary Base Stats with Lightning sword, Tobin and Kliff are good as mage and archer respectively, and Matilta is a wrecking ball. Clive is still good overall as well, and Luthier joins with Excaliber early in chapter 3.

If anything, you need more utility in Cleric Faye because you need constant healing and your good units can take snipe important targets more safely with Rescue.

I must have had two bad Mathildas in a row because I would never describe her as a wrecking ball. I've never had an archer accomplish much more than chip damage to anything but a mage--I'm really down on them to the point of actively thinking archers are bad despite the 1-5 range.

Both of the good male mage villagers are very reliant on excalibur crits to kill things I've found, as is Luthier. Faye just deletes an enemy every turn, no RNG except for spell accuracy.

Alm (once he gets double lion), Mage!Faye and Delthea are in my experience pretty unique in Alm's army for their ability to one-round enemies other than mages without relying on crit RNG

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

Mathilda is a wrecking ball just off her bases in chapter 3

People keep saying that and I just don't see it. She 3HKOs enemies and doubles them, just like 2/3 of Alm's army. She has okay defense (which will become bad by the time you hit act 4) and good resistance but not enough to really open up new strategies

She's a solid unit but I honestly don't see her as being any more than that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Just don't use it on anyone actually in the merc line. Level 10 Dread Fighters can already promote back to villager for some reason.

They can do it because they could in Gaiden

They could in Gaiden because it's Gaiden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Double Lion is so good that I'm considering not switching to Falchion until I actually attack the final boss

Bows are definitely an afterthought

• Locked thread