Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There should be some differentiation between guys who were awful for their people but did well for themselves, like Stalin or Mao, and people who completely failed even at being competent ruthless autocrats.

Now Francisco Solano Lopez, that's top tier awful by any metric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

and i must meme posted:

i dunno mao seemed pretty incompetent

at running the country sure, at seizing and maintaining power no, that's the distinction I was trying to make

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Price controls can work as temporary emergency measures, or as part of a broader set of regulations and subsidies tailored to a specific industry for a specific purpose.

As done in Venezuela on the other hand its an absurd libertarian strawman made real.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Of course it's bad, that's why we don't do it in peacetime.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bad leader- Hitler

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Harrison was the guy who's campaign promise was "log cabins and hard cider" right?

He coulda beat Hillary, anyway

It was his opponents that tried the log cabin and cider line, which backfired spectacularly. Harrison's slogan was "Tippecanoe and Tyler too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Basically they wanted to portray him as a frontier simpleton unfit for and disinterested I the intellectual demands of the office, so someone said something like, "he'd be just as happy in a log cabin with a jug of hard cider as in the white house." This may have played as intended with the big city folks, but since the franchise had been expanded there were an awful lot of log cabin dwelling cider drinkers for whom it made them like Harrison more. The Harrison campaign leaned into it and brought cider to rallies which was generally a good way to win friends.

• Locked thread