Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Protector 101 - Night Owls (The Pink Room Remix) on vol2 is some good poo poo holy moly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I dyed by beard red and went as cheerleader Nadine for Halloween last year and no one got it.

It's harder to walk around completely trashed with an eyepatch than you would think.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Cooper retroactively prevented Laura's murder, but the more things change the more they stay the same, man.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Hundreds of interpretations of the finale, all of which are valid and extremely personal.

Lynch definitely gave us the ending we needed, not the one we wanted :unsmith:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That's a pretty weak excuse considering what show we're talking about.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I got the Ramsay one and the Hans Zimmer one as some sort of weird bundle gift and both were fine if you liked the people in them (I do) but ultimately pointless and definitely overpriced. You're better off just going on YouTube or semi-premium sites like Lynda (or whatever) for learning an actual skill.

That said I'm going to watch the poo poo out of this.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Alternate take: Audrey wakes up in the hair salon or whatever she apparently runs according to the final dossier. The mirror fits

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My wife recently watched season 1-2 for the first time because she got tired of hearing me and a mutual friend discuss the return constantly for the last couple years. She loved it (somehow, having no history with it).

I watched the s2 finale and FWWM with her before we started s3 (her first time, my rewatch).

Got to episode 8, the Lynch bullshit starts, she tunes out and gets on her phone and asks me when we're going to find out what happens to Coop.

:negative:

Can't tell if this is a hot take or the right take, but I don't like it.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Episode 8 is the greatest episode of television ever and the fact that it's so divisive only reinforces that.

Every time I think this I also remember that International Assassin from The Leftovers exists and v:shobon:v

I'll never make up my mind on this one.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I just watched Lost Highway for the first time and boy was that fun.

Lynch somehow made a soundtrack of Angelo Badalamenti + the mid 90s-est possible industrial/alternative work and not seem out of place, while also having Gary Busey and Henry Rollins playing the 2 most sane characters in the entire cast.

The man is a loving genius is what I'm saying.

Hopefully catching Inland Empire soon since that's the last of his big releases I haven't seen.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Hakkesshu posted:

Now that we are so far removed from the season, have there been any good pieces of critical analysis on it? Not talking about endless SEASON 3 ENDING EXPLAINED articles.

I got super hammered over the holidays and wrote a 20 page text message to my buddy about how the lyrics from Once in a Lifetime line up almost 1:1 with season 3.

Then I searched to see if anyone else was as super smart and perceptive as me and it turns out yes, lots of other people have already said this. But I was at least the most emphatic v:mad:v

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh god are you in for a wild ride :lol:

It makes Lost Highway look tame by comparison!

I'm in for it :dance:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Just watched Inland Empire. I don't know what to think other than Lynch doesn't deserve Laura Dern. Goddamn.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Jerry Horne is high enough to dream up most of this, so he gets my vote.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It’s been like 2 or 3 weeks since the GoT finale and I haven’t thought about it once despite being a super fan all the way from the start but I think about Twin Peaks (especially fwwm and season 3) every day still.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Most shows also have an extremely narrow story scope headed into their finales, eg the only thing that “mattered” in the final season of GoT was who was going to end up on the throne.

Up until the final scene in TP I still had no clue what was going to happen or what it all meant (in a good way). Not many people other than Lynch could really pull that off.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

i love this thank you

kaworu posted:

Or is this all... incredibly obvious to everyone else and I'm incredibly slow? :ohdear:

I hadn't thought this, but I really like it. Unfortunately if you consider the books canon Tammy's narration about people losing memory of Laura's murder or whatever negates the theory (IIRC).

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Up until this very minute I thought the owl cave ring symbol was completely symmetrical and it is not and I’m freaking out

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Jerusalem posted:

I always forget how utterly terrifying the Bob scene at the end is :stare:

:stare::hf::stonk:

wa27 posted:

Well, the most prominent uses of the symbol on the show were in the cave and in Cooper's drawing. I think the asymmetrical line only appears on the ring itself (?). I certainly didn't notice the difference until watching season 3.

Sure, but I’ve seen the ring itself so many times AND I’m a graphic designer by trade so this is the exact sort of thing my brain should have picked up on immediately. I feel like I’m being Mandela’d.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I watched that whole 4.5 hour video and I can't argue with anything the kid said.

But, I don't know how he can reconcile the fact that his entire video/theory relies on Lynch's explicit intentionality from the start of the story, but it's very very clear that's not AT ALL how Lynch works.

Like BOB wasn't even a character when the story was conceived / started so ...

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Unrelated but I just saw Gerald’s Game and the couple scenes with the Giant are so loving scary/uncomfortable I’m glad my brain associates him with Twin Peaks so that I can forget about them. That’s all.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I came down with pretty bad flu/fever this week and had a bunch of sick time at work so I rewatched all of S1&2 over the course of 4 days while dying on my couch. My brain is melted, but I'm glad I did it. Had been a long time (decade+) since I've watched anything other than the "green" survival guide episodes. Forgot so much, but glad I'll be able to get caught up to y'alls watch soon.

If my rewatch has made anything at all 100% crystal clear it’s that James has never been cool.

E: and I’m never watching back half S2 again

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 2, 2020

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The Evolution of Horror podcast is covering a bunch of Lynch stuff in its current series, which has been great. The guy also made the best and easiest to follow MD explanation video I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JmaTQoZ_Q

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
A lot of people say the felt frustrated by the Dougie stuff the first time through S3, but he and Audrey's scenes (before they got to the Roadhouse) were what drove me bonkers with frustration. In the best possible way.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Nadine rules. I don’t know how people can like TP and not like her. Seems incompatible.

Update on lil Nicky because I was curious. Hasn’t acted since he was a kid.

“At the age of 15, Harris began playing baseball in school, and continued to play in college. After graduating from the University of San Diego with a bachelor's degree in Business, he played professionally for the Chicago Cubs' minor-league affiliate the Lansing Lugnuts for one season.

Following this he became a producer for production company New Wave Entertainment. In 2006, he started his own production company, 4th Wall Entertainment, specializing in television development, documentaries, commercials, feature films, and digital platforms.”

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My wife and I made the twin peaks sandwich right before the holidays and it is absolutely as amazing as described on the show. It didn't even sound exciting to me at all, but I went out and got the most expensive ingredients I could (even then it was several meals for under $20) and we couldn't believe how good it was.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I think it’s the same as trying to make a “so bad it’s good” movie. If you set out to do that, it will fail. Same thing with trying to make something random/whacky/Lynchian. It has to come from a place of sincerity to work.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

its one of the best scenes in the whole show, and its a pivotal moment in the whole donna and james teenage sleuth plotline. these three dorky teens who’ve been projecting this adult 50s coolness—James acting like he’s James Dean—and its both ironic and deeply human that this facade of disaffected coolness drops—that they realize how entirely out of their element they are—not during one of their reckless investigations, but in a moment as mundane as trying to sing a song together. No matter how hard they try they’re still beleaguered bt these teenage emotions. Its a tragic situation, for these kids to be stuck between these silly yet real feelings of teenage angst, and to also be dealing with the seriously heavy grief of their friend having been horrifically murdered.

its a quintessential David Lynch directed scene

e: sorry this post is a mess, phoneposting on the run

Also: what happens immediately following them singing the song

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Chubby Henparty posted:

I sometimes read the livewatch pages for that episode when I need a pickmeup

Same except go back and listen to my favorite recap podcasts

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

The Klowner posted:

Gonna need that link friendo

https://www.idlethumbs.net/twinpeaks

There are a million but like mentioned above Idle Thumbs is my favorite, maybe because I already liked the guys from their other stuff.

They did the entire original series leading up to the release of S3 and then did that in real time.

I miss this whole crew :(

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Inland Empire is pretty much proof positive that Lynch (is a genius) but his work benefits greatly from any amount of collaboration above 0%.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Apparently it just happens all the time?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Bird in a Blender posted:

The confederacy thing in S2 is so bizarre and I still don’t know what the point of it all was. I guess Ben always fighting a losing battle? I don’t even know.

Check out the Back to the Double R podcast on this one. They have an insightful take on it

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That Trent interview ruled. Lynch’s instincts on who and how he collaborates with other artists/professionals is really inspiring.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Not playing near me either :(

My personal favorite to least favorite*:

Eraserhead / FWWM tied for first
Lost Highway
Mulholland Drive
Blue Velvet
Wild at Heart
Straight Story
Inland Empire

*Excluding Dune and Elephant Man

IE is the only one I’ve seen once, and it was a long time ago, but I didn’t really enjoy it, despite loving the entire cast. Need to revisit and make sure my list is still on point.

One of the best thing about Lynch is that pretty much any order is valid. Don’t prove me wrong though.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve seen it twice and I tried really hard to like it both times but something about it just does not vibe with me

This is kind of how I feel. All the elements of things I love are there … and at the risk of being crass, lots of Laura Dern boobies … which I couldn’t be more into. But it’s never resonated with me like the rest of them have.

hawowanlawow posted:

I'll fight anyone who ranks wild at heart lower than inland empire

But this is also correct

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
When I saw Lost Highway as a youth I was like “haha cool weird movie!” because I was an arty kid who watched stuff like that. But now when I watch it it’s completely explicable, and probably Lynch’s most straightforward film (other than the straight story).

The soundtrack couldn’t be more dated (in the best way possible)

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

No Dignity posted:

Lost Highway was the only Lynch film I couldn't finish because there was such an oppressive sense of dread in it. I'm not sure what happens but I can tell you something very bad was going to happen in that house

:haibrow:

If you never plan on finishing it at least watch the car chase scene on YouTube or whatever.

But also please finish it at some point it’s great.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I watched Tall Men (2016) last night because I heard about it on a podcast somewhere a while back and happened to stumble across it while trying to find something to watch.

It’s the most Lynchian thing I think I’ve ever seen not made by the man himself, and I just needed to tell somebody. That’s not necessarily a recommendation, but if anyone on the planet is going to appreciate this sort of no-budget schlock it’d be Twin Peaks fans. It feels like if eraserhead was first made in 2006 with a consumer DSLR.

Also it has nothing to do with slender man, I think whoever did the marketing/poster just went in that direction to capitalize on the craze at the time.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
None of them IMO. It’s fun to spend more time with those characters and the world they live in, for sure. But I didn’t walk away from any of them going “this added to the canon in a way that made my experience better”.

That said, just read them all, they’re cheap used and fun to have around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I watched a really weird and interesting little horror movie called Antrum recently and inexplicably half way through they recreate that scene from MD.

Cool Movie! Even though its gimmick is the dumbest part about it, everything else is rad.