Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

One thing that's been bothering me is that conversation Gordon says he had with Cooper and Briggs, when they planned to take out Judy

When is that supposed to have happened? If I understood it correctly, he says it happened right before Briggs death, but that would mean it was Bad Cooper instead, Cooper was already in the Black Lodge. But then I cant make sense of it

It doesn't make sense either way, Bad Coop had all the memories of Good Coop up until the split, that would mean if Cooper had been in on a plan to destroy Judy he would already have an understanding of what 'Judy' is when he confronts Jeffries. Considering how egregious that seeming retcon is and how it fails to match up with the events shown as well I have to wonder if Gordon was deliberately lying to Albert for reasons unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also on the subject of Judy, I don't think it and 'Mother' are the same being and Sarah Palmer is possessed by the latter and not the former. BOB and Bad Coop have no idea what Judy is whereas BOB is spawned by Mother and later possessed a young Sarah Palmer with the assistance of the Woodsmen, indicating they're all members of the Black Lodge and on some level aware of each other. Additionally, when Laura is whisked away from Cooper Sarah is still driven wild with rage at Cooper saving her and doesn't seem to be aware or complicit of her being sent to Odessa, where she ends up working at ... Judy's. I think Mother is essentially just the source of the terrible but faintly comprehensible aliens of the Black Lodge whereas Judy is a far more abstract and hard to define concept of suffering, Mother appears as an human-esque avatar and slices up teenagers heads, Judy makes Laura work in a miserable diner and get sexually harassed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

It wasn't any romantic interest at any rate.

Cooper checks her out pretty hard in S1 and turns her down on the grounds it would be wrong to sleep with her, not that he doesn't want to. He was definitely into her early on in the show.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

...! posted:

Those of you saying "Well you obviously don't get Lynch/Twin Peaks. :smug::smug::smug:" and/or "Twin Peaks obviously isn't for you. :smug::smug::smug:" to anyone who criticizes anything about this season are gigantic douchebags who need to learn that it's OK for people to have different opinions than you. It's especially insulting when you say it to people who are huge fans of the original series. gently caress you. Grow up.

Lynch is not some kind of god who creates perfect works that are above criticism. There are many, many things that he handled poorly with this season, the most glaring being the gigantic number of storylines that went absolutely nowhere and didn't have an ending. That's the big problem with the season. It didn't have a bad or disappointing ending; it had no ending, which is bad storytelling and makes the entire thing pointless and a waste of time to watch. If it's merely the end of a season then that criticism is invalid but if it's the end of the entire series (which is more likely), it's an insult to the viewer.

Obviously you don't get Twin Peaks

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nah the worst character is the femme fatale James dates,, the best character is Janey-E

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hank shot Leo and got comically beat up by Nadine though, that redeems him just enough to take him out of 'worst character' bracket

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The X Files was a pretty big one

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I kinda love the idea that Laura might be doomed to never be able to be "saved" (in the literal, prevent her being murdered sense) but that Cooper will NEVER stop trying. Ever. It's who he is, and it's sad and beautiful and inspiring that the moment he fails he almost seems to be looking for the next path to take to try again, and he always will.

That's my read on that final scene with his little stutter step outside the Palmer house, anyway. From memory it is the same stutter step he uses to step through into the Richard & Linda reality in the first place.

I don't think it's terribly admirable of Coop though, it's exactly the same pattern of behavior he inflicted on Caroline and Annie where they end up paying the price for his well-intentioned hubris. Like Season 3 starts with Laura being snatched from the only measure of peace she's ever had and forced back into the world to be 'saved' by Cooper with predictable results, it's horrible!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Is it Laura, though? She's kind of zapped upwards in a strange digital effect. We see that effect a few other times, always when it's a tulpa / doppelganger being moved and never with a real person.

Do we ever see anyone else get yanked out of the frame like that? But it would basically have to be her regardless as we find out later on that she *is* bought back from the dead from the White Lodge and that's pretty much what the scene is conveying

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well apart from the fact I find the idea that there are actively malevolent forces like Bob out there with no counter-balance incredibly depressing, characters like the Fireman are shown multiple times to be concerned for/worried about trying to help people avoid hardship/pain/horror - the one that stands out the most to me is the Fireman silently pleading with Cooper not to let somebody (Annie?) join the beauty pageant.

I always felt like the town/area of Twin Peaks itself is largely a reflection of the wider cosmic forces seemingly at play: there's an underlying darkness and danger but also people who are invested in guarding against that and working their best to prevent harm, and not letting evil run around unhindered.

Remind me: in the scene in Fire Walk With Me where the Arm sits with Bob demanding his share of Garmonbozia, while many other figures are present like the (a) Woodsman and even Mrs. Tremond and her grandson, the Fireman himself is not present, right? Plus we see him present alone in his "home" in episode 8 seeing the "birth"/ejection of Bob into the world, and immediately taking steps to try and bring about his capture/confinement within the Lodge. Unless I'm remembering wrong, he never shows any interest in or desire for the "pain and sorrow" the other characters seem to covet.

But also, going back to the first line: I just find it depressing to think there isn't some benevolent force out there trying to help, and when I watch Twin Peaks I don't see it as a depressing show despite all the darkness and horror often present in it. There always seems to be an underlying current of people working their best to fight evil, but to also be happy and enjoy good lives because life isn't just about stopping badness, it's about enjoying the good. If that wasn't in there, I don't think I would enjoy the show anywhere near as much.

Also he's called the Fireman (i.e. one who puts out fires), I don't think it's a reach to conclude he has genuinely positive intentions

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Borrowed Ladder posted:

We never see the White Lodge, but don't we never actually see the Black Lodge either? I've always been under the impression the red room is The Waiting Room, which is not the same thing. I don't believe the Convenience Store is either but you could probably make a better case for it.

Also Mike was a man but seems to be a spirit at this point, and he "lives" in the Waiting Room and appears to be benevolent. The Evolution of the Arm also seems to be benevolent though i don't know why, The LMFAP mostly wasn't. . .?

I thought the Black Lodge was that really gross decaying building used in FWWM and The Return and figured the White Lodge could have been the Black and white art deco cinema in episode 8, more confident on the former than the latter though

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Everyone's always saying 'how's annie?' but no one every asks 'how's audrey?'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought the short guy and everything else in those scenes was a complete fabrication?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The electrical crackling at the end of that scene ... very bad vibes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You can't really appreciate the 'James was always cool' line until you've suffered through every single one of his plotlines imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Even in the first episode Lynch can shoot an empty house in a really unsettling way

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Klowner posted:

if it's not a mystery box then what is it?

It's a goddamn bad story

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bowmore posted:

just finished season two, haha what the gently caress man

Now imagine that was the end of the show for 25 years

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also it seems like a pretty good bit for the storyline which a parody of stupid american dynasty soap operas

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

side_burned posted:

Benjamin and Jerry Horne are two of the most unlikeable characters I have ever encountered.

Benjamin, sure. But Jerry? Come on man

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The brie baguette scene is one of the best in the entire original run, closely followed by the time they spontaneously break out into swing dancing. The morality of the character aside Jerry is honestly one of the MVPs of the cast

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The weird hum was also the same tone in the basement in the orginal TV pilot :iiam:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

roomtone posted:

so basically this new project isn't happening after all. that's a shame.

i wonder if they filmed anything.

Source?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

read the thread before replying lmao

whoops lol don't know how I missed that

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Didn't I read that Lynch gave Sherilyn Fenn table scraps because he was still pissed at her for doing Boxing Helena in the 90s? The only story I've heard about him which reflects badly on him

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

oh no

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lost Highway was the only Lynch film I couldn't finish because there was such an oppressive sense of dread in it. I'm not sure what happens but I can tell you something very bad was going to happen in that house

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

How far did you get because you're completely spot on there but it's not even remotely the whole truth of it :v:

Probably about 50 minutes in? Honestly I love how much dread Lynch can put into filming an empty house, he really understands the foreboding of mundane locations in a way I've seen very few directors even aim for

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Mulholland Drive is amazing and my second favourite film of all time but I don’t see how it takes people multiple views to get it. It’s the only Lynch movie that can really be explained in one sentence and that explanation makes everything slot into place. I guess if you never read anything up online about it it makes sense.

Nah, you can do that for nearly all of them. 'There is a woman, in trouble'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

who the gently caress is Jump Man lmao

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't recall any nudity? And in that folm grtting off to it at any point would be deeply weird

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Coop hosed it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm glad there's been a critical reappraisal of FWWM, I know it bombed at release for having none of the cosy camp of the TV series but I've always thought of it as one of Lynch's finest that really cut to the heart of what Twin Peaks was really getting at

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If it's your first viewing you really should just watch the whole thing, even in the dud section you're still going to see stuff like Denise, the first exploration of what the Black Lodge actually is and the build up to Window Earle. Plus the bad stuff is part of the experience too!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Inland Empire is the most accurate depiction of a nightmare I've seen in film, I can't say I enjoyed it but it was interesting to experience once

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I was watching it live with a friend and I remember getting really uncomfortable around the time Cooper is driving not-Laura to Twin Peaks. Knowing how much of the plot had still to be resolved and how long we were watching this uncomfortable silence instead of addressing any of it was when I realised the ending was going to get weird

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

pitch a fitness posted:

Have just walked in on my wife trialing sunflower oil on the drape runners. Should I be concerned?

Don't tell her about cotton wool

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A man that distraught over his daughter's death couldn't possibly be the killer!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Scorsese and Miyazaki are both in their 80s, if fate is kind ai think we could still see a Lynch film yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Coop destroyed the lives of Caroline and Annie, and the death of Laura by being an Awesome Guy