Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Nude Madeline Zima getting her face shredded off by a nightmare shadow alien is definitely something.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Episode 2 has so many laugh out loud moments, but I think the best one is Cooper obviously typing gibberish into his magic laptop.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

P.S. madeline zima has grown since her nanny days

Those fuckin' legs yowza. Shame she got her face scooped out by a buzzy ghost alien.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Wally is there to make us giggle and goddammit it worked.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Little Mac posted:

It'll never be brought up, I'm sure, but Wally is Dick Tremaine's son, isn't he?

Tremaine's pretentiousness seems to be a genetic disorder.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I always thought it was funny that Bowie got star billing in the final cut of FWWM despite him being in it for 45 seconds.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm normally very squeamish when it comes to gore because I'm a huge baby, but I'm willing to power through it because this show is too drat good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hip hop midget murder has gotten the biggest laugh out of me the entire series so far. Like, full on belly laugh. God that was spectacular.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lycus posted:

Nothing against Robert Forster, but I don't get why they didn't just make Hawk the sheriff now instead.

I honestly think they had the entire script written before Ontkean dropped out, and instead of rewriting Hawk's role, Lynch and Frost just :effort: and did a find/replace with Forster.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian posted:

At this point I have no idea what new music I've heard actually IS Badalamenti

I think the child getting run over/giant orb creation piece is almost certainly Badalamenti. However, I'm not sure what else is.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The adventures of Cole, Albert, and their Scooby/Scuba-Do ragtag team is the best part of the season and makes me wish there was retroactively more of them in the OG series.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Your Parents posted:

Tammy is cool and I like her acting and exaggerated poses and faces. She's hilarious and a very Twin Peaks character.

She exists solely to fidget and deliver exposition, and it's amazing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I am completely expecting Coop's return to be some fist-pump moment in the finale where he pretty much immediately solves the plot/retroactively saves Laura Palmer/joins the Prophets in the wormhole spirits in the White Lodge, and I'm okay with that.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian posted:

My co-host just called me excitedly while editing to suggest that one of the reasons the chronology is so hosed is because they planned on having a fair amount of it be entire episodes based around one storyline - so for instance we get all the Dougie stuff at once, all the Hastings stuff at once etc (or very close to this) but then someone along the line demanded that say, it all had to be spread out equally, or that they couldn't go too many episodes without any MacLachlan, so they had to re-order it.

Aside from my skepticism that anyone would try and force this on Lynch/he would be ok with it, it actually makes a lot of sense.

I also considered these two things I've read but don't have a backup for as part of the overall reason. Could anyone tell me if these were proven in any way, or just poo poo people made up?
- Lynch originally wanted the 18 hours to be aired in episodes of different lengths, so say one 2hr episode, then one 3hr episode, etc
- Lynch and Frost only wrote the 9-hour version together and then when they got extended Frost went and wrote the Secret History Book while Lynch just kept on writing and adding in extra scenes

I don't have any official insight, but I did read same report about Lynch padding out the original 9 episodes while Frost disappeared to write the book. This totally makes sense, because while I adore the series, there's some very bizarre editing and pacing issues like Bill Hastings vanishing for like, eight episodes. Or Audrey and Ed not appearing until the final third of the series.

It's very obvious splitting up this giant 18 hour chunk of footage into self-contained episodes was an afterthought. It makes it a super interesting and unpredictable watch, but I can totally see how it would just piss some viewers off.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Todd was also a sniveling Dharma lackey in season 5 of Lost. That's where my mind goes whenever I see that actor.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Freddy killing Booper in the finale is just the backdoor pilot to Lynch's new Green Glove superhero series.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Just for kicks, I put on Episode 14/Lonely Souls, and I am reminded that the last 10 minutes of that episode is absolutely jaw dropping.

While I love the absolute batshit crazy Season 3 has been, I hope we have another moment towards the end that just resonates pure emotion like that episode.

"I am so sorry."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Krinkle posted:

These audrey scenes are great. Hahaha. I loved that little man since he first just stared at audrey and wouldn't tell her what the phone said. That face.

I am going to laugh my rear end off when after all this theorizing, the series ends with Audrey finally walking outside and Hawk's just there like, "yeah Billy's dead".

End Twin Peaks, end Lynch.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
How do you replace one of your characters with a teapot and make it not only work, but make so awesome that everyone just rolls with it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I hope when Janey-E finds electrified Coop, there's an extra pair of shoes laying by him.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Am I nuts, or did they reuse the exact same take of MIKE saying "someone manufactured you" from when Dougie was sucked into the Black Lodge?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm assuming Richard does have some significance to the plot other than being a vaporized dick, since Audrey's story has yet to come to a conclusion, and Jerry witnessed it all. There's probably going to be some Horne family vengeance going down.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Basticle posted:

My number one thing I want followed up on but probably wont is the guy who was supposed to meet andy but didn't show up and is now dead(?)

Wasn't the prevailing theory was that he was Billy?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What's the consensus of the Laura orb the Fireman created being her "seed"? I'm wondering what the chances of a Laura tulpa being created in the last two episodes are. Or maybe Laura already was one, which would explain her "I look like Laura, don't I?" talk in the Lodge.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Art Alexakis posted:

This is also a project of larger scope and complexity than he's ever been a part of. Including a cast of hundreds, many who are reasonably popular and with busy schedules that he has to consider. Its also long as hell and it definitely seems like the original "18 Hour Movie" has been chopped up and re-arranged to fit into the format of an hour long weekly drama. There are alot of moving pieces. Mistakes are going to happen.

My guess is they wanted coverage for a close up of Albert, someone made a mistake and said Tammy didn't have to be there, so she wasn't.

Yeah, pretty much this. When you take on such an ambitious project and are more than likely working under some kind of deadline, all while juggling a thousand things at once, things are gonna slip through the cracks.

A lot of this season was probably constructed in the editing room, with takes and shots shuttled around and uh, creatively used and repurposed, because gently caress it. And I'm sure Lynch noticed some holes that needed to be filled here and there and did pickup shots. I wouldn't be surprised if that Albert closeup was filmed months after the original take.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I watched FWWM again last night, and instead of waking up with a song stuck in my head, it's Gordon Cole yelling "GIVE SAM STANLEY THE GLAD HAND" over and over in my brain. I hope it stops.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Phi230 posted:

2 hours of twin peaks

Also last 2 hours of twin peaks

We are getting a planned resolution to Twin Peaks. No cancellations, no box office bombing. This is it, folks.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Most of the last episode is just going to be a 37 minute take of Laura repeatedly opening and closing her face.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
HERE WE GO.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FalsePriest posted:

From reddit but a good theory i thought

I like this a lot. Basically good old naive Cooper thought he could fix everything, and ended up loving things up even more, just like when he originally went into the Black Lodge.

He basically goofed so badly he glitched out and crashed the universe.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The only way I can piece together the Audrey scenes is she's just remembering the "echoes" of her Twin Peaks timeline, just a Laura did at the end there. Bizarro-Audrey is somewhere out there, possibly in the looney bin, in the Richard and Linda universe.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Spermando posted:

^
Okay, I misread your post.
Also, does anyone else think the Audrey we saw at the end of episode 16 is someone from the Odessa timeline that can see the original timeline in her dreams? It would help explain the last scene.

That's what I've been thinking. Maybe Twin Peaks and Odessa are dream worlds of each other?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What about the thought that these two timelines feed into each other (like a figure 8 almost), and leave impressions on one another. Like in one, Judy's is Carrie's workplace where she probably gets harassed and probably dreads coming in. In the other, this is represented by Judy being some cosmic horror that represents pure suffering. If Laura is the dreamer, then she could concoct up such a universal constant.

How that would fit in with the Tremonds and the rest of the Lodge happenings, I have no clue. Or I'm just as clueless as everyone else right now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I feel like there are plenty of clues that could lead to quite a few conclusions, but there's no real hint as to which is the "correct" one, if there is one at all. And I'm fine with that.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Zmej posted:

the last two episodes felt like Lynch directed an episode of star trek next gen that involved a time loop/paradox.

Coop finds out he didn't actually win the Bat'leth tournament on Forcas III. :(

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm wondering if the Laura-scream is supposed to be happening simultaneously across all realms of reality. Her being plucked from the past, her being whisked away from the Lodge, and her at her house in Twin Peaks all being concurrent events due to time and space fuckery. Do we know if it's the same sound clip?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

tap my mountain posted:

Ah that's right it was one of the the visions shown to Andy. It could just be demonstrating to Andy that they are two Coops, but I think that since it showed them splitting apart was demonstrating that they were initially whole.

Anyway my other theory is even dumber, I think Twin Peaks is a dream in that it's a TV show and shows are a form of escapism like dreams. Laura's entire role as the chosen one was to be a victim and give the show a plot, and Bob only exists to be the antagonist.

When Cooper went back and prevented her death he had ruined the entire plot of the show and Judy responded by sending Laura off to a completely different dream/show. This other show is supposed to resemble real life to trick Coop into thinking he's failed and that everything that happened before was just a dream of his, but Laura regains some memory and the illusion is shattered and that dream ends.

I think this dream tv show stuff is the explanation for Audrey's predicament. She's somehow woken up to the fact that she lived in a dream and that's why she has meta knowledge about "Audrey's Dance".

"Just think of Bob and Judy
They're as happy as can be
Inventing situations
And putting them on TV"

I wonder if Frost/Lynch are Talking Heads fans.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The more I think about it, the more this reminds me of a slightly more twisted "All Good Things" from Star Trek TNG. Lots of space fuckery, erased timelines, shifting, all at the will of a race of infinite god-beings. But the Lodge spirits are a little more indifferent than Q.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

cis autodrag posted:

wasn't the whole flash-aside of the final season them post-death realizing that their destiny was on the island and they had to go back?

No, the flash-sideways was their holding pattern happy place so they could all meet and ~*move on*~ together into the proverbial light. There's also the insinuation the island is the home and maintainer of that light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Krinkle posted:

My friend said I missed a really obvious ham handed metaphor about how americans are fat and dumb and don't give a poo poo about anything if it gets in the way of their stories and I just want to clarify: The fat lady laying on her horn after the gun accident, screaming to move out of the way, she was going to the hospital, right? not home to watch tv? Because of her daughter dying of whatever the gently caress in the passenger seat? Or was it really a ham fisted americans are fat idiots who ignore gun violence and only get angry if something disturbs their routine even a little?

It's the latter. They were on their way to see her uncle or something.