Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's also stuff like Alien where the first four movies actually came out at a fairly consistent pace every 5-7 years, but I remember when Resurrection was announced I perceived it as "a new sequel to that old trilogy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Personally I want to see them make Weekend at Bernie's 3

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been muttering that line to myself A LOT

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember watching Mulholland Drive with my buddy when we were like 17-18 and taking a smoke break halfway through where we just stood outside going "what the gently caress" at each other.

makes me wish we'd had Twin Peaks S3 back then, holy poo poo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 3, including the pilot. That was an easy one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

although now that season 3 exists a valid answer is also "it gets weird intermittently throughout the first two seasons and then S3 immediately ramps up the baseline for weird by like 500%"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now I'm picturing Twin Peaks but with regular guest stars playing their characters from other shows like they used to do on sitcoms, and it's the most amazing thing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Denise has a separated-at-birth identical twin who, along with his partner Dana Scully, comes to Twin Peaks to investigate these reports of tulpas
I was thinking Golden Girls on a road trip

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

*monkey finger curls* abracadabra you get to be the production assistant who has to tell him his scenes are running long.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Consummate Professional posted:

Start getting into TM
Taskmaster? Now there's a crossover.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

roomtone posted:

from the s2 finale onwards
It's funny how we can now phrase it like that when for 25 years the whole of Twin Peaks was, in order, half great, half aimless, mother of all cliffhangers and a movie no one liked :v:

I've got this theory that you can view the whole of season 2 as three distinct mini seasons, each about as long as S1. 2a is everything from the start to, well, a fairly obvious point really. 2b has aimless subplots and ends when Diane Keaton's episode ties them all up, in my opinion well enough that it's worth sitting through them. 2c is the rest, basically the Windom Earle season, and is half hot garbage and half essential Twin Peaks lore so in many ways it's the hardest part.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought Legion had some pretty strong David Lynch vibes when I first saw it. Recently I rewatched S1 and the impression has diminished somewhat, I think I just originally watched it at around the same time as Twin Peaks S3, but it does still have those "what's real and what's not and what's just a metaphor" elements and gets quite loving odd.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Having seen the series and by extension the Billy Zane scenes twice, yeah if you're gonna skip anything

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It was great when the show aired cause everyone was like AUDREY WHEN every week, and when she finally showed up it was the excitement of "oh my god there she is" immediately followed by "what the gently caress?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No Dignity posted:

Lost Highway was the only Lynch film I couldn't finish because there was such an oppressive sense of dread in it. I'm not sure what happens but I can tell you something very bad was going to happen in that house
How far did you get because you're completely spot on there but it's not even remotely the whole truth of it :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If anything the last 30 minutes tie it all together.

Every time I watch it these days I think "oh this is actually perfectly straightforward" but I couldn't explain it for the life of me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

An old man visits his brother to make amends but has only a lawnmower to drive.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well it's in the credits as Experiment, but there's a stronger case for it being Judy than just about anything else.

though, keep in mind that whatever's inside Sarah is clearly shown to have originated from the Experiment along with BOB. God what a weird show :allears:

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 4, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's not gonna be a lot of people left to do a series 4 with at this rate :(

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's the absolute immediacy of his reaction that really sells it. Like they really have been over this too many times.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/mar/04/tom-sizemore-star-of-saving-private-ryan-dies-aged-61-after-brain-aneurysm-reports

Well dang.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Come to think of it, Zelda also does (or did for a good while) have a theme of good or evil parallel worlds, too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I maintain that mid-season 2 is worth it for the Diane Keaton episode.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tarnop posted:

I've been getting a lot out of watching a director's whole filmography in chronological order.
Been doing this with Tarantino, it was pretty good.

Section 9 posted:

2) What movies/shows that aren't Lynch would you consider Lynch adjacent in such a way that you would recommend them to anyone who likes Lynch (and maybe specifically Twin Peaks since that's the thread topic) Not because they have anything in common with Twin Peaks, Lynch, or whatever but just because you feel like people who vibe with Lynch would vibe with them.
Pretty much all of Nicolas Winding Refn's movies and particularly his streaming shows. And adjacent to that, Lost River.

e: Legion gave me Lynchian vibes when I first watched it.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 3, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lord of the Rings is kind of the playbook on how to turn a book into a Media Property though with endless spinoffs, reimaginings, pre- and sequels and the assorted merchandise for each.

Then again looking at the Dune books...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shoulda stuck to finding the right out of 23 Douglas Joneses.