Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also, if you're on Facebook and you're a fan of the show, join the Twin Peaks LogPosting™ group for the love of god. It's given me so much entertainment in the week or so that I've been a member. So many of their posts are obscure though and will only make sense if you're caught up on everything TP related.

That page is drat good :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
*Michael J Anderson smashes his head on a mirror* HOW'S LYNCHEY? HAHAHA... HOW'S LYNCHEY?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I stopped appearing in David Lynch movies and became a giant dick. It struck me as funny, CJacobs. Do you understand me, CJacobs? It struck me as funny!

Michael J Anderson: TRUMP, YOU REMIND ME TODAY OF A SMALL GREEN FROG WEARING A RED HAT.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just finished rewatching the show like a month ago and I've already forgotten who Billy Zane's character was. I have no idea who that dude is or what his deal was other than he randomly inserted himself into scenes at the hotel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mallratcal posted:

Just finished season 2. The last episode was amazing. I really like how lynch uses decrepit old men.

You're gonna love Season 3 then because so far it looks like it'll be full of 'em! :classiclol:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If I sign up for it later, I'll be able to stream the episodes that have aired and been added there whenever I want, right? Is that how it works?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'll see you all again in 25 years when I can stream all the episodes in a row.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have finally caught up with the show and I am currently loving just how often it has left me saying "what in the absolute hell" when a scene concludes. Dougie Coop is my new hero, I am sorry Coop 1.0.

Rambling Robot posted:

I strongly disagree. And how on earth is she "reduced" to anything?

We don't know know much about Diane yet, but it makes perfect sense for the evil Cooper to hurt her. Twin Peaks is about good vs evil, love vs violence.

Escobarbarian posted:

But you don't understand, Dern and Lynch are friends

I believe that poster thinks that it would demonstrate a lack of complexity unfitting of her role for that to be the explanation, hence the phrasing of it being 'reduced to' that being the case. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, though.

edit: I should note that that doesn't mean I agree, just that it's what I think their thought process is.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 21, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Escobarbarian posted:

This thread rules again

I wish you would stop saying this, it's a mostly civil discussion save for the people (like you) jumping in with one line white noise retorts because you disagree

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, to get away from rape-chat a bit, a dumb question: what Dougie is, exactly? Badcooper is Cooper doppleganger, but Dougie seems like he was also another copy of Cooper, but not evil, just kinda dumb (I assume he was dumb, since he is now acting totally brainless and people only find it a bit stranger than his normal)

And what exactly happened to Cooper when he got back to the real world? I was supposing that Dougie somehow kept Cooper "personhood" (the sum of his memories , experiences and knowledge), and that's the metal ball that was left after Dopugie evaporated in the Lodge. And Cooper seems brainless because he is lacking it now. But that does not makes much sense after what he did last episode

I imagine that Cooper probably got scrambled when he went through the socket, because he seemed pretty normal before that. Or, it could be that the reason he seemed normal to us is because he'd gotten so used to being in the Black Lodge that he can act like our Coop there now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cis autodrag posted:

I'm not necessarily supporting any theory (although this is a good one), I'm just surprised by someone being so adamant about "it's rape and nothing else and you're all wrong, I know because I've seen a lot of raping on TV in my day and I know a rape victim when I see one."

Throwing my own two cents into the fire, I think Lynch and Frost beating around the bush about it is very unlike them because sexual assault is one of the few things the series has been very blunt about (because it's a scary enough reality on its own, no mystery needed). So either they've changed their tune about how they present it in the time since the previous show, or it's not the explanation. If they have done so then it's fine, we'll just be left to wonder for a few more episodes, no poo poo-flinging necessary.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 21, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Escobarbarian posted:

Hahah what?? My posts were entirely a response to "obviously it isn't rape he must have just said something mean to her everyone who thinks it was rape is a creep drat creepy idiot goons!!!!!!"

I would counter that it's possible to respond to such posts in a mature way instead of sinking to their level if that's really how you interpret them, but you are choosing not to because it's easier to point and say 'ha ha look at THAT guy'. If you want a conducive discussion maybe let's try not doing that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Franchescanado posted:

Well, they've dealt with it in various ways throughout their work and Twin Peaks. It's never really explored the trauma that occurs if a friend takes advantage of another friend, having to live with that trauma years later, and the issues of sexual-abuse in modern culture. If Diane had just ran up to Gordon after she saw Booper and said "HE'S ACTING EVIL JUST LIKE THE NIGHT HE RAPED ME," that would have been bad and dumb. The fact that she's secretive about whatever happened, how she's trying to maintain her pride and strength and not break down and is being closed-off about how she's been victimized (no matter what she's a victim of), is A) more realistic, B) better writing, and C) more interesting/another mystery to be revealed later in the show.

I think that's a fair point. One of the first things we hear about Laura and Ronette in the very first episode is that they were raped by their captors, but that exposition is delivered clinically by the doctors/police department/et cetera. Throughout the show we see the effects of the trauma on Ronette (sort of) but nobody outside the feds ever really talks about it. Fire Walk With Me is a lot more emotionally visceral about it than the show itself is, and maybe they're channeling shades of that here. No way to really know yet, but it is an interesting thought.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And More posted:

Honestly, I just want to hear Diane say it because every evil thing that the doppelganger does is absolutely on Cooper, and I think less of him every time the doppelganger gets away with it.

This is an interesting perspective. I guess you could look at it as Cooper being trapped in Dougie Hell being his penance for the suffering Bad Cooper has caused in his stead... but I don't think anyone can reasonably blame the guy for his weakness when confronting the Black Lodge at the end of season 2. He tried his best!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From reddit:

Maybe we should just post that gif and this image until the next time Diane comes onscreen.

edit

http://i.imgur.com/ah3YrFA.mp4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And More posted:

Cooper definitely didn't consent to it, but he didn't take any precautions either. No warning to Truman or Hawk. Does he really go in alone because he wants to protect Truman or does he do it because he knows Truman would never let Cooper give his life to Earle? Trying to save Annie seems noble, but it turns out to be fundamentally selfish. Cooper's life may be ruined, but the major is apparently straight up dead, and Diane seems scarred for life.

Your argument seems to hinge on things that we know as the viewer, and not what Cooper knew as a character within the show. I think retroactively blaming him for the results of his actions is kind of moot, considering he's not actually the one who orchestrated those results. Him going into the Black Lodge blind was a bad idea, yes, but it doesn't mean he is at fault for the havoc Bad Cooper has sown, as he had no way of knowing it was a possibility.

edit: And you're right that Coop is most of the reason for Bad Coop's freedom, but I think he will feel his share of guilt about that if or when he returns to his faculties, whether it's justified or not.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 21, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sure, but my point in saying that was that his unpreparedness is not his fault because he had no way of knowing how prepared to actually be. We knew by that point, but he didn't, which is why I made that distinction. He had evidence of what the Lodge did to people, but the reason he thought he was ready was because he'd been there before and made it back unscathed (albeit, in his dream state).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think you have a point, it doesn't really matter what happened between Bad Coop and Diane, it's her reaction to that scene that tells us all we need to know. It'd be nice to know specifics, but I think as an audience we don't really need it. If Lynch were to leave it like this and we don't get to hear that talk she's promised with Gordon, I'd be fine with that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Danzig is still my favorite Bad Coop nickname.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Were this the old school Twin Peaks, Josie's face would have materialized on one of the zoomed-in-on walls, still screaming, after Ben and co. had left the scene. But as this is not the old school Twin Peaks, we can't say for sure!

Initially I assumed the humming was coming from the key.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

regulargonzalez posted:

He does somehow own a Rolex.

I bet it was an anniversary gift.

...For his 25th year working for the police station, I mean, not from Lucy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They didn't ever confirm that was actually true, I think. Hawk says that nobody lived at that address by the name 'Robertson', then says he'll follow up and see if anybody ever did before the records he found... and I think that's the last we hear of it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Confounding Factor posted:

Came across this bit of criticism the other day:

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/tv-radio/2017/06/handmaids-tale-could-be-straight-out-raqqa

I like the show precisely because of those reasons.

quote:

(and, having poked about online, I detect weariness setting in even among those who hailed its promise at the start).

[citation needed]

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
gently caress Gene Kelly, you mother fucker!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Chad represents every human being on this planet named Chad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

snoremac posted:

What is she doing here?

Souring my affection toward Shelly's character

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yeah, it's one thing to repeatedly hook up with the most awful scumbags in town and refuse to cooperate with the criminal investigation of your murderer husband in order to sponge up insurance money. But poking fun of ridiculous funeral mishaps? For shame!

Leland didn't deserve any of this, bub

edit: If anything, make fun of James, Shelly, please

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cromulent posted:

So does every show have weekly "_____ is problematic and toxic" articles? I don't want too many shows and I read even less articles about them, so I'm kind of out of the loop. I've seen so many about Twin Peaks so far that I have to assume it happens with literally every show on TV.

Just the popular ones people talk about a lot

loga mira posted:

To add to the things that are being said in this thread, that should better maybe be said in places other than this thread, I offer this perspective on the queer angle of things. The new season is being shown in Russia one day behind the US (on ordinary tv with ads and poo poo) and although I'm not watching it this way, I am tickled by Lynch basically saying "gently caress you and die" to all the talking heads on all the shows on all channels talking about the evils of gay propaganda, through one of his characters.

Not even just through one of his characters, one of his characters who is portrayed by himself

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also the things Dougie has done (mostly before Coop's involvement) that constitute toxic masculinity:

- Cheating on his wife because he can
- Being an absentee father because kids are a snore
- Indulging in hedonistic fantasies via money
- Lying to get ahead of the competition

Are all things he has very explicitly gotten in trouble for, with the latter almost getting him killed in the first 15 minutes he is onscreen, so...

edit: And, yes, Coop has hardly suffered the consequences of any of these things in Dougie's stead, but Dougie pretty obviously wasn't suffering them either and it'd take a hell of an idiot to read that as the show saying that's a good thing

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, so they're just idiots, then.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phi230 posted:

Case files

Mister jackpots :downs:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Time for my first live episode. :toot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wow, they're really playing a full song like 15 minutes into the episode. This is bonkers.

I kind of want the credits to roll just like at the end of the episodes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The roadhouse really does not seem like the kind of place where NIN would have a warm reception, but who knows, maybe they have a lot of underground fans here

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God this show is so fuckin' awesome

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Now we are all sons of Cooper

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That shape seems oddly familiar

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh wow I think Rageaholic Monkey might have been right

edit: the worst artifact compression since doom's FIREBLU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The camera slowly zooms out to reveal we've been inside of Janey-E's vacuum cleaner

edit: Lotta good desktop backgrounds goin on right now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This part is absolutely fuckin bonkers with surround stereo speakers btw, I hope you are all using them or at least directional headphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Someone hit the TV it's losin its signal