Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unrelated to the current discussion: The scenes with Diane after Cooper emerged from Glastonbury Grove felt kind of messy to me. Lots of time skips (of the filmmaking variety). I think the show did a poor job of conveying why Diane was there- most importantly how she managed to interpret his final word to her correctly -and the cut to them driving on the highway during the day made me feel like I'd skipped a couple minutes of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree with the poster that said they wished the show hadn't been 18 episodes. There were a lot of emotional and atmospheric moments that surely could not have existed if the show had a shorter running time, but I genuinely wonder if it was worth the dragging of its feet inbetween to have those things. This show has had incredibly high highs, but also very low lows imo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The BOB orb (borb) is definitely a result of Silva being dead- Frank Silva was BOB, and casting someone else as him would feel pretty wrong no matter who it was imo. So the only alternative is vaguely goofy/vaguely frightening otherworldly bullshit, and David Lynch is always happy to oblige on that front.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

eSporks posted:

I'm wondering if the Richard and Linda we knew about previously were something other than a red herring. The best I can come up with is that the Richard at the end is real Cooper's son, but this makes no sense at all.

I assume it's intended to be a similar case to MIKE and BOB and the Twin Peaks residents Mike and Bobby. Just without the handwave from the characters that makes you go "oh" as with those guys in episode 4-ish of the original show.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alan_Shore posted:

I really hope it wasn't anyone's dream.

People have talked a lot about how the first two seasons can be about the cycles of abuse, trauma, the battle between good and evil, mysticism. Saying IT WAS ALL A DREAM is incredibly unsatisfactory, borderline pointless.

Seriously, it was all a dream is on a par with characters realizing they're in a TV show for shittest storytelling device of all time. And I thought maybe they were going with that cos the final Audrey scene looked like it could be a dressing room.

Fractured dimensions I can deal with (even though the only reason there are inconsistencies in the timeline is really only because Frost and Lynch don't really care about continuity). It just really bugs me if the show we watched and loved has been erased. Bring on S4! PLEASE OH GOD

tbh I liked the show a lot better when the lodges and dimensional fuckery were in the background instead of the foreground.

I really enjoyed the idea of a crime drama with assists from beyond our scope of reality both good and bad, but that went out the window with season 3. It started to happen in season 2 but this one really cemented it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Turkey jerky, much like Judy, does not belong in this world

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Coop cites it as being part of the reason he won't hook up with her. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Origami Dali posted:

I've never really thought about it, but who is supposed to be speaking through Sarah in that first clip? Earle?

Having watched that episode just yesterday, the subtitles (at least on Netflix) say it's his voice, yes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heather Graham owns but I wish Coop had known her for more than 3 days before deciding he was willing to give up his soul to evil spirits for her

edit: Like I'm cool with him making that decision because hey it's your soul do it if you want but drat man slow down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cis autodrag posted:

The whole show had this weird time compression thing where the whole thing takes place in like a week but a lot of the events occur more as though the time it took between airings passed rather than the amount written into the story.

In the first episode that features Flannel Coop there's a throwaway line where Harry talks about how a whole lot has happened in two weeks or something like that and I do a double take every time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doc Hayward says she's in critical condition in the hospital before doppelcoop gets up to ram his head into a mirror brush his teeth, and I don't think she's mentioned in S3 even once, so who knows.

edit: The last time she's seen is in Fire Walk With Me, but only in The Missing Pieces:

quote:

Later Annie was taken to the hospital wearing the ring that Laura Palmer and Teresa Banks were wearing on the nights they were killed. Her physical wounds were treated, but she was still in a trance. She repeated her message for Laura to the nurse attending to her (this time reversing the order of the names to "Laura and Dale"), though it was not clear if she knew who she was talking to. The nurse proceeded to steal Annie's ring, unaware of its importance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Billy Zane was fantastically punchable in Titanic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Huh. Is the corpse given a name in the credits? I suppose not, but you never know.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Walrus posted:

I love that this is one step above pepe sylvia for comprehensibility if you take out the text blocks

I GOT BOXES FULLA CHERRY PIE!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You could even say Philip is...floating in a tin can.

Oh my god.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At first I was gonna agree with cjg but the hallway behind Coop in the first image and Teapot Jeffries in the fourth is really interesting. It's probably not literally the same room because of how Booper gets in, and there's no door in the corner behind Jeffries like there is for Coop... but either it is reused assets, or there's something to it. Maybe some kind of connecting hallway?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lost hinged on everything eventually getting explained, and when it did, the reaction was negative because the explanation was stupid and made most of the show pointless. It was a case of the show's producers underestimating how much people cared about the intelligence involved in their closure.

Twin Peaks S3 banks on not explaining things and leaving it up to your interpretation, but the reaction was still mixed because people feel like you're not given enough clues to actually piece it together yourself without huge leaps. It's the opposite problem, but the same effect: Lynch and co might possibly have expected too much out of the viewers, as opposed to Lost, which expected too little.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rocco posted:

I try to see things from a lot of different sides but I legitimately cannot think of anything in Lost's ending that made the show "pointless" whether you like it or not.

The ending had hardly anything to do with 6 seasons of plot threads, some of which went completely unresolved.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not that anyone really cares besides me but I got the book and boy

CJacobs posted:

"By the way, I forgot to ask, how's Annie?"

"Oh, she's fine, she went home and nobody's talked to her since."

"Oh okay."

Starring
KYLE MacLACHLAN

this post of mine from ages ago sure did age well

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
James' cheekbones were the titular twin peaks all along.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TREMOND 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CHALFONT 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Harry, I know who's won the 2020 Presidential election.

Yes, it can wait until morning."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mastershakeman posted:

After seeing someone online mention Jim Belushi was incredible in s3 I finally got around to watching it (watched 1/2/fwwm about 5 years ago) and I have to say

Wow. Who the hell knew belushi could be this great

One episode left !

I believe I made a post in this thread nearly three years ago wherein I said the worst thing about Twin Peaks Season 3 is it made me genuinely enjoy a performance by Jim Belushi.

It's just wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Heavy Metal posted:

Also, on talk of possibly skipping some season 2 stuff. Make sure not to miss the sandwich scene.

https://youtu.be/U6N-YmGuiGw

It is in recalling scenes like this one where I finally come to the realization that Jerry Was Always High