Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
TWO DAYS MOTHERFUCKERS

Seriously my first novel comes out next month and I hardly give a poo poo, I'm so stoked for this. Ten years of gently caress-all from Lynch and now we get 18 hours of him, I can hardly believe it

Of course the flip side to that is, it's been ten years and maybe he wants to do something other than scare the living poo poo out of me now. I'm along for the ride either way, but I would be a little bummed if the series is about Cooper teaching transcendental meditation to everyone in the Black Lodge and them opening a community center or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Missing Pieces are definitely worth watching.

Holy poo poo yes. I think "I've been to one of their meetings" is the scariest scene Lynch has ever done and to get an extended version was mindblowing

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

I think you forgot about the masterpiece from the James Hurley Trio.

Also the Leland Palmer Song & Dance Revue

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Finished catching up at 1am. Today I'm just in a daze because holy poo poo. Parts of that felt like watching ERASERHEAD for the first time, which is not a sensation I thought I'd ever get to experience again.

I have no idea what the gently caress Showtime think they're doing though, they're going to take a bath on this one.

I would really like to have been a fly on the wall when Lynch and Showtime were hashing out the budget ("David, we've got the money for the infinite purple ocean, but if you want that and the floating electricity box we'd like you to drop the talking cancer tree. How about just hiring another midget? No? Okay then...") I was perfectly fine with the VFX, but then I'm streaming from Canada and the feed is a bit poo poo.

That said, four episodes in I would 100% take the new Twin Peaks we've got over no new Twin Peaks at all (or worse, new Twin Peaks without Lynch).

Arturo Ui posted:

I'll point you to the Josie doorknob scene for lovely effects in the original series.

Also Jurgen Prochnow's beard in FWWM

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

When Lynch first quit the project weren't they going to keep using his scripts but hire others to direct? I can't imagine what that would have been like, it seems impossible.

Remember Season 2 after Lynch left and they were scrambling to recreate his tone and loving it all up? Imagine that Diane Keaton episode, only eighteen hours long

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tirranek posted:

I didn't find the Lucy and Andy scenes that funny because they seem way too slow. If the Tibetan rock throwing scene had been paced like the bunnies I don't think it would have worked at all. Did they change a lot in Season 2 or something? (I only saw the beginning of it)

I'm 99% on Lynch's wavelength with the horror/fantasy stuff, but not so much with his sense of humour (like, I don't find Scandinavians automatically funny). I love the deadpan stuff (eg looking for the apartment key in episode 1) but the deliberate wackiness can get grating, and the Andy and Lucy bits so far have been edging into that territory.

(So when Cera showed up I was like "uh oh" but by the end of his monologue he'd completely won me over, that was great.)

wa27 posted:

The worst effect shot was the murder victim in the apartment. The side shot looked like poo poo, and I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

The shots of bodies have had a weird plasticky look that I've found more unsettling than anything else. Again though, CraveTV streaming is a bit iffy so it probably looks different in proper HD.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah. Like the Dumpster Man in Mulholland Drive is really silly looking in any GIF I've seen, but when it's within the context of the movie, it's scary as gently caress.

aaaaargh i hate gifs of jump scares, stop ruining movies for me assholes

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Aliens, really? That's the impression you got?

It's not entirely off-base, there was all the Project Blue Book stuff from the original series and Mark Frost's "Secret History" book is like 60% about UFOs. I get the impression that Frost is more about jet-powered X-files government-conspiracy stuff, and Lynch is more interested in personal horror and weird dreamworlds.

The final part of "Secret History" (a summary by Garland Briggs of what he thinks is behind everything) did a very good job of splitting the difference between the two, I thought.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Or some absurd looking compositing where an owl was overlaid on BOBs face.

On the Idle Thumbs crew's Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast from a few years back (very very good btw), they make the point that Lynch probably doesn't care how realistic things like that look, that's it's the idea of the thing that is important to him.

Oh God all the owl scenes in the original were Birdemic-level bad, I am not one to complain about VFX but holy poo poo.

(I don't think Lynch directed any of those episodes though)

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

Is The Arm's new form mean to be a tree? I assumed it was a disembodied nervous system, like in this one scene from Watchmen:

I thought it looked a lot like the dead sycamores in Glastonbury Grove

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

The 'Wally is really a paid actor' theory is dumb and terrible and is an example of 'I cannot immediately understand this scene, therefore there must be a very elaborate backstory for it to make sense'

Welcome to the next eleven days, as stupider and stupider ideas get batted around and everyone picks their tiny hill to die on and the show is ruined for everyone. You're welcome. Sincerely, The Internet

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

tao of lmao posted:

Plenty of great shows have bad tviv threads. That's kind of how it goes.

I don't need a good thread. I don't need anything, tao of lmao. If there's one thing you should know about me, tao of lmao, it's that I don't need anything. I want. And I want a decent thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

A shovel is $10 and a can of spray paint is like $5 so you're really only paying $15 markup for Dr. Amp's craftsmanship.

plus shipping & handling