Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

God, I really hope that Lynch finds a way to bring back 'Invitation To Love'.

Unlikely. That was all Frost's baby and I believe that Lynch's uncertainty about them is why they didn't come back for the second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I'm three episodes into the new season now and while it's definitely way higher budget, I find myself missing the coziness of the original series. The violence and supernatural elements of OG Twin Peaks were on the fringes, just barely tugging at the viewer's awareness as they were absorbed by the characters and humor of the show that generally were at the forefront. This one is so heavy on the brutality and death and despair, it's honestly kind of hard to watch. Is this going to change at all or do I just need to resign myself to a very different sort of Twin Peaks?

The humour, tone, quirkiness, and charm kick back in a lot in the next two episodes, though the more brutal and odd elements remain.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

stanovich posted:

The biggest disappointment of this season is that people have suddenly decided to change the name of The Roadhouse to The Bang Bang Bar.

Wasn't it always called that on the sign? I think it's one of those things where it has an official name and everybody calls it something different that is cooler.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013
Just jumping (heh heh) into say that the fact that the actor who played the Jumping Man still has not appeared makes me think that character is going to be part of a visceral, horrific journey through many of the show's demonic entities and I can't wait to see what visuals are cooked up.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Phi230 posted:

What if he was just like a plainclothes extra

Mayor Milford III

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013
https://twitter.com/amy_shiels/status/891495312690434048

This tweet by the actress who plays Candie made me start connecting some dots in my head. There is a lot of suspicion that Cooper and Candie are suffering from the same ailment, but this text connecting James with her made me think:

Cooper/Dougie's "condition" we are told was caused in a car accident, and everyone in his life seems to roll with it. Well James got into an accident too and was described as "weird" but just like people around Dougie accepting and even loving him, Shelly defends James with the now famous quote. I want to go back to that scene and see if he parrots what the other guy he is with is saying.

I think there is potentially about to be a big reveal about many "manufactured" people.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

Hearing Charlie say the "do you want me to end your story" line has me really intrigued. I'm starting to think his character might be like The Cowboy or The Man Behind the Dumpster in Mulholland Drive; that he's really powerful in an inexplicable way and could snap his fingers and reverse the entire world of the show if he so chose. I will lose my god drat mind if this show ends with a twist as big as Mulholland's: for example, if the entire thing is a nightmare Audrey is having while in a coma and absolutely nothing is what it seems.

Absolutely. There's some weird identity shift happening with her. I'm just not sure if this somehow transfers to other characters in the town (or beyond). This show is so fun. I still think the colour of the Rancho Rosa titles is going to play into the plot somehow.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Zmej posted:

Just be like Dougie. Accept and fully experience a thing like you've never encountered it before with immersion and child-like innocence. Except James subplots. Heck, Season 2 isn't really that offensive to me and I'm ok how it went because we got FWWM.

Also I read the spoilers for the leaked Ep.14 from the accidental posting on the German stream tv. Yooooooo poo poo is gonna be crazy.

Yeah I'm trying to treat this like my first viewing of Mulholland Dr where I was just willing to follow all of the weird avenues like music. There's a chance I will have things to complain about when it has ended but I want to see the whole package first. I am trying not to be negative about anything until then (although I really have very little complaints in general, although the pacing may become an issue if there is no time and/or alternative universe weirdness going on).

I just doubt there will be a television program this enrapturing and hypnotizing on television for a long time so I am just savouring it right now and saving any potential criticism for after the whole series is completed.

Such exciting news about the episode. You are the third person online I have heard say that. Trying not to hype myself up too much though because I did that for 12 and it was the only one I was somewhat underwhelmed by.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

The Walrus posted:

was the fwwm flashback scene a joke about nostalgia revivals? it didnt really tell anything new or tie anything together as a previous poster suggested imo

You are expected to have watched FWWM before this series, but if you're not a superfan I could see forgetting a detail like Bowie's line.

I thought the glass box scene was going to end up being the scariest scene in the revival but I think each recent Sarah Palmer scene has topped it.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Empress Brosephine posted:

Leo was evil but he wasn't a huge idiot. In the sense that Richard Horne is.

The biggest thing I'm surprised about is no reference or anything of the lumber mill or even the bank explosion. Or that whole Main Street area with the department store.

Dr Hayward does briefly mention the bank explosion when talking about Audrey being in a coma.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013
Genuine question: how the hell did Fire Walk With Me get such horrible reviews upon release? I just rewatched it, and while it is not a perfect movie, it is harrowing in a way only a few films I have watched can compare (Grave of the Fireflies and Come and See being the two I can think of offhand). Along with The Thing, the initial reaction to it has really damned a lot of mainstream movie criticism for me.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Short answer is that people were mad it didn't have the same tone as the TV show, basically. IIRC others were mad that a prequel was even being made at all, since Laura's story was already told in the show more or less, and they wanted the cliffhanger from season 2 resolved instead.

IOW people were mad that David Lynch made a David Lynch movie.

This explains the fan reaction, but not necessarily critics, many of whom I imagine had not seen the series. Then again, not having seen the series introduces some problems in understanding the film, so maybe that's it. It pleased no one.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

kaworu posted:

I actually would love it if season 3 doubled back on this somehow. We know Laura is important and that has been underscored, but the tragedy that was her life remains something largely silent this season, for whatever reason. I would like it if Lynch tied it all together some classic free-associative Lynchian fashion, I'm sure he will :cool:

Basically, I'm saying that Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee ARE a part of the cast and I'm fairly certain he didn't bring each of them back for that one scene in the second episode. At least, I hope not - it would be a criminal waste of two very good actors, on a basic level.

Yeah, this is basically the only major thing I have found "missing" this season, but like you I have confidence it/they will be featured.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

oneforthevine posted:

The Pink Room? That's got one of Lynch's best tracks (both musically and visually).

Yeah this is probably the most creative scene in the entire film even if it's not my favourite.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

There's only two more weeks of episodes after tonight :(

This is hitting me hard too but I am comforting myself with the fact that watching the whole 18 hours at my own pace is going to be so drat fun.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013
Can't remember if this has been mentioned but the sound effects for one punch man were hilarious and now I'm convinced Frost/Lynch are taking the piss out of superhero shows like Iron Fist.

And yeah Lynch hated what they did with the supernatural elements in the finale so scrapped almost all of it. I actually don't think the script is as bad as many Peaks fans do and thought it had some inventive ideas, but Earle's dialogue is awful, and Bob in a dentist suit may have been a final jump the shark moment for me.

Overall though, I think it just plays worse compared to the amazing finale we got. Imagine a finale without the little man, the giant, the waiter, Maddie, Leland, Sarah, etc. Etc. Jeez.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder why the owls haven't played more of a role this season. Did Lynch/Frost just decide to go with electricity instead for the lodge spirits travellings?

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

kaworu posted:

Watching that reminds of how absolutely perfect Badalamenti's score is in that movie. Not just the composed music but also the diegetic music is just so goddamn fantastic.

I really, really have to give a fuckton of credit to Episode 8 once again, though - that episode seriously might have the best use of sound and music that I have ever seen used within a single 60 minutes. Like, every single one of my favorite pieces of music on the show practically (besides a lot of other stuff but there were a lot of good bands at the roadhouse ok).

But seriously, Ep 8 really runs the freaking gamut! You go from slowed down Moonlight Sonata, which was the really chilling music that plays whenever the Woodsmen do their bloody ritual on Bad Cooper - straight into like a five-and-a-half minute live NIN song that freaking *rules* with the entire band head-to-toe in black leather.

From there we jump to one of the great modern composers in Penderecki and his Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, a theme that repeats in later episodes at key moments, but is played longest here as we zoom in on the results of the Trinity Test.

After a lot of typical rough peripheral noisy and scratchy sound effects that terrify me, we get yet another great song: The Platters recording of the old standard My Prayer, which of course returns during the sex scene we see between Coop and Diane... It's one of the things that makes me wonder just a little about what year it is on the night when they rent that motel

fake edit: On a slightly interesting and kinda bizarre note, I was reading the Wikipedia page for "The Platters" (which was a really quite popular black R&B/early rock n roll group) and I happened to notice that the groups second-longest tenured member is a fella by the name of David Lynch - no poo poo. Weird coincidence, makes me wonder.

Also the amazingly otherworldly "Slow 30s" song and what might be my new favourite Badalamenti track in "The Fireman"

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013
That scene of him talking about not having much time left is going to hit so hard now. :( RIP

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Baloogan posted:

read a neat theory that nadio is not diane and nadio's appearance in the sherrif's office and in episode 3 both mislead coop

nadio pulls a lever and puts coop into dougie instead of where he was supposed to go

i bet it was the fireman beating down the door in episode 3 trying to get in and save coop from nadio

nadio might be judy!

Hmm...the slashing sounds that Nido makes trying to prevent Cooper from going towards the outlet seem to be the same as the sounds of the glass box Experiment killing the loving couple.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Please Lynch give us Season 3's Missing Pieces one day :pray:

I'm pretty sure Sabrina Sutherland said in her AMA that literally every scene shot was included in the show.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013
Mark Frost wrote Albert's speech to Truman, and is therefore forever immune from criticism.

Slum Village fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 27, 2017

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013
Some interesting insights from Mark Frost from a panel he was on: https://twitter.com/keithgow/status/924564057302089728

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Cromulent posted:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/twin-peaks/268645/the-secrets-of-twin-peaks-season-3

Sherilyn Fenn has said that she cried when she read the original script for her part, and pretty much refused to do it. Kinda puts a different perspective on those Audrey scenes, Audrey's difficulty going to the Roadhouse/Sherilyn's difficulty playing the part written for her, the "change your story" line...

Plus Charlie's emphasis of "going back on a contract" which I always thought was a weird way to talk about a marriage/divorce.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

eSporks posted:

The book doesn't give a lot of details, but it flat out says she married her accountant in loveless contractual marriage

So Charlie's an accountant huh? There's another bald accountant later in the season...maybe a bit of a stretch but considering the many other parallels...

It would be interesting to actually list all of them. So much duality featured.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Cromulent posted:

I think the only part that could be legitimately skipped without missing too much is the lovely third of S2. I really don't think 5-6 episodes, even the most "important" ones, will do the series justice.

I definitely remember at least one person here who watched S3 without watching any of the previous seasons or FWWM.

Even those have the Briggs disappearances and introdiction of the White and Black Lodges that become so important to later in the season and the newest one.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah I agree that a lot of the violence and exploitation of men against women goes unresolved in the season precisely to drive that point home. "Laura is the one" only in the sense that she represents the town's original sin in a way, not that she is more special than any of the others.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Cromulent posted:

All this talk of lore made me realize that in S3, "Black Lodge" is only ever said once, the White Lodge is never mentioned, and garmonbozia is never spoken of.

It's interesting what parts of the lore were not or seldom mentioned. Blue Rose came to the forefront. Hell, even the latter season 2 Project Blue Book got a mention!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

that ivy guy posted:

That little cricket chirp/strange noise when Laura vanished off screen was probably the single most offputting thing in the entire show. Not sure what about it got to me so much

Since you didn't mention it, it's the same sound the Fireman plays Coop in the very first scene of the season, and I remember already feeling a bit intrigued but perturbed.