Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

FauxLeather posted:

The Elijah Wood lookalike cop mentioned shots at Ed's Gas Farm some episodes back, just after the diner gunshot scene. I was hoping Bobby would ask Ed about that!

Or uh, was the cop referring to the gunshot incident at the diner, which he heard, then made his way over to there FROM the Gas Farm? This is probably nothing but I'm unsure if I've forgotten something.

The latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Wow, this is some berenstain bears level tomfoolery going on, here.

I didn't remember the ring being that way. But I look up some screengrabs from FWWM and there it is. The same.

Even the Showtime merch isn't like that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

James scene was awesome. First bit of fan service we got!

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

kaworu posted:

Nope ever since FWWM the Ring and the green pedestal (I don't actually think that's formica) have always been connected. That is where the ring's resting place seems to be in The Red Room(s)

Oh you're right. I forgot Dougie was wearing the ring.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

These fucks are loving with time again!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A reminder that while James was always cool, Trent Reznor was always cooler!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Lynch has always been amazing at nightmarish imagery, but James playing Just You takes it to a new level

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

FauxLeather posted:

The Elijah Wood lookalike cop mentioned shots at Ed's Gas Farm some episodes back, just after the diner gunshot scene. I was hoping Bobby would ask Ed about that!

Or uh, was the cop referring to the gunshot incident at the diner, which he heard, then made his way over to there FROM the Gas Farm? This is probably nothing but I'm unsure if I've forgotten something.

Shelly and Becky talk on the phone during the day at the diner, and Steven hasn't been home for 2 days. But the whole conversation seems like it happened before Becky went on a gun rampage and the subsequent Becky/Shelly/Bobby talk at the diner.
Then Bobby says at the Diner that they found stuff from his dad "today". So this scene happened the same night that they found the tube, while the scene with Becky/Shelly/Bobby and then the honking woman and puking girl happened a different night even though it occurred in the series after they found the tube.
So not-Chad cop could be coming back from Ed's Gas Farm after hearing gunshots there? I hope not.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

drat right James was always cool.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Where are Diane, Albert and Gordon supposed to be in the hotel sequences?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That episode loving ruled completely

Richard showing up at The Farm was an AMAZING twist and I can't wait to see where that leads. Audrey scene is still the low point but it's way better than last week as well as shorter. And I may have woken up this whole hotel laughing when Just You started. That was utterly incredible.

Also this had so so so many better examples of "Lynch doesn't do what you expected and it rules" than that lovely Audrey scene from last week, from Evil Coop having to take part in an arm wrestling contest to Dougie's prints being a red herring. Like, THAT'S how you subvert expectations in a satisfying way.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It seems to me that everything but stuff involving Booper and the FBI is out of order or messed with in some way. Has all the out of order stuff been in Twin peaks only?

Wait Dougie has one scene last week that was out of order this week.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

First James appearance: Shelly says the phrase "James was always cool."

Second James appearance: James plays Just You and a crowdmember weeps at how beautiful it is.

Third James appearance?: He rides his bike to Evelyn's estate and the two embrace and she says something like "our story was always really good and important and it definitely should have happened??" (Bonus points if this is literally the last scene of season 3)

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

RBX posted:

It seems to me that everything but stuff involving Booper and the FBI is out of order or messed with in some way. Has all the out of order stuff been in Twin peaks only?

I think there are a bunch of self-contained story lines, but there might be character crossover. Each storyline is being show in its own proper order, but that doesn't mean that characters from one storyline might not show up in another at a time that is out-of-sync with the other storyline they're in.

As evidence I'll call in the later part of Mulholland Drive where things don't necessarily happen in sequence and you need to use some context clues to figure out how the scenes fit together.

VVVVV Agreed

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 7, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That episode was great.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Hearing Charlie say the "do you want me to end your story" line has me really intrigued. I'm starting to think his character might be like The Cowboy or The Man Behind the Dumpster in Mulholland Drive; that he's really powerful in an inexplicable way and could snap his fingers and reverse the entire world of the show if he so chose. I will lose my god drat mind if this show ends with a twist as big as Mulholland's: for example, if the entire thing is a nightmare Audrey is having while in a coma and absolutely nothing is what it seems.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Really, really loved this episode and was definitely waiting for something horrible to happen at the end of James' performance the way it did in the original run. Cutting to Big Ed alone looking hopeless: Definitely something horrible, though in a totally different way. Poor dude.

Also this Audrey scene was way better in every way.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
y'all been hating on james since ep 1 but he was always. cool.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

RBX posted:

Yeah I think that's the first time I've seen a Dougie scene out of order. Janey-E says he didn't come home, he appeared to be partying with the Mitchum Brothers all night, yet we saw him playing catch with Sonny Jim last week. Oh well.

Great episode. Laughed to tears when Just You And I started. I liked the touch of not rolling the credits at the Roadhouse, the quiet endings somehow just seem more profound.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm not sure I've ever laughed harder at something onscreen than James doing "Just You & I" at the Roadhouse and using the power of his song to make people weep. So unexpected, I loved it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

What did Audrey say about Ghostwood? It was hard to make out some of her dialogue.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
james gets more tail than a beaver dam, and his every breath draws in the freedom of the open road

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Only a scene of James & Wally Brando cruising down the road together will make me even happier with this season.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Papa John Misty posted:

What did Audrey say about Ghostwood? It was hard to make out some of her dialogue.

She said being in that house felt like being in Ghostwood, or something like that.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
"Charlie, help me. Is it Ghostwood here?" when she was saying she wants to both stay and leave, and he wasn't responding.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

Hearing Charlie say the "do you want me to end your story" line has me really intrigued. I'm starting to think his character might be like The Cowboy or The Man Behind the Dumpster in Mulholland Drive; that he's really powerful in an inexplicable way and could snap his fingers and reverse the entire world of the show if he so chose. I will lose my god drat mind if this show ends with a twist as big as Mulholland's: for example, if the entire thing is a nightmare Audrey is having while in a coma and absolutely nothing is what it seems.
That would be horrible, see Dallas.

The only reason it works in mullholland drive is because it's a tool to tell the a story and a way to get into the character's head.

Having a twist that serves no narrative purpose is bullshit, see M. Knight Shamalan or Atomic Blonde.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

eSporks posted:

That would be horrible, see Dallas.

The only reason it works in mullholland drive is because it's a tool to tell the a story and a way to get into the character's head.

Having a twist that serves no narrative purpose is bullshit, see M. Knight Shamalan or Atomic Blonde.

Oh yah i don't think it would be good!! It's just a terrifying possibility that crossed my mind now that they've introduced Audrey and made her circumstances in this episode feel weirder and more dreamlike than in the previous episode.

I think a more likely twist is that Audrey is actually trapped in a Black Lodge purgatory.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
Edddd. It's been too long.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I didn't think I could ever listen to "just you" again without hurling. Which is a terrible pun. Anyway I am surprised that it really worked in this context. Can they also redeem "The Bookhouse Boys"? I hope they don't try.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

Absolutely. There's some weird identity shift happening with her. I'm just not sure if this somehow transfers to other characters in the town (or beyond). This show is so fun. I still think the colour of the Rancho Rosa titles is going to play into the plot somehow.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A goon literally called James' appearance like 5 days ago

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think Audrey is messed up due to some encounter with evil Cooper. I'd also think that Richard is her son with him but that's almost too obvious for Lynch so I dunno.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I thought Audrey blew up in the bank

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Phi230 posted:

Honestly I thought Audrey blew up in the bank

They retconned it so Pete Martell died shielding her from the blast or something.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Maybe Audrey is still in a coma?

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
From Reddit

quote:

Audrey's been in a coma since the bank explosion and has never woken up. The Ghostwood plotline happened when she was in the bank explosion. No one in her family, in the real world, has mentioned her once. She doesn't know how to get to the Roadhouse. She can't seem leave without Charlie who is very sleepy. She doesn't feel like herself or really know who she is. She seems very angry and bitter because she's been trapped in the coma for 25 years. All of the furniture and electronics in the house is early 50s at most.

Charlie is her subconscious mind that is listening to everything happening around her while she is laying in her hospital bed. All of those random peoples names are either figments of her imagination or they are all the names of her caregivers/nurses in the the real world.

Remember that Audry's fashion choice from the original run was always fifties inspired.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Apple Craft posted:

From Reddit

Remember that Audry's fashion choice from the original run was always fifties inspired.
The fuuuuuuuuuuck :stare:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phi230 posted:

A goon literally called James' appearance like 5 days ago

Anyone still have the link to the Nine Inch Nails/James song edit?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I can't be the only one who was seriously creeped out by the Sarah Palmer scene. The ding-ding-ding followed by the buzzing sound, the open curtains, the mirrors, the black hatstand in the corner. V bad vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Again, from Reddit...

If you watch Big Ed's reflection when he looks out the window. He's still holding his soup cup, then drops it abruptly and looks at it. While in the actual scene he had already put the cup down before he ever looked out the window in the first place.

There's no way that's accidental.

Lynch is loving with us hard, man. It's difficult to tell what's going to matter and what's just to make us have an emotional reaction.