Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

I still can't quite believe that it is happening again.

Me neither. 20 minutes from David Lynch almost doubling his oeuvre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Having seen all 4 parts, that was nothing like what I expected, but exactly what I wanted. 10/10

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Having glanced at the early reviews, I can't wait to look at them again once the series is done.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I'm curious about how many people watched it online.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

This show is as far ahead of its time as the original Twin Peaks was. I can barely believe that is possible.

Also, this is the best comedy of the year, by far.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

It's a shame that Truman declined to reprise his role. The bromance between him and Cooper was so amazing.

Based off of how much time he spent looking for his original jacket for the role, I'm assuming it was health related :(

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/michael-ontkean-in-search-of-sheriff-truman-jacket/

That really doesn't read like someone who didn't want to play the role. Maybe they made him sick in the series because he is actually sick?

I hope I'm wrong here.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

whoa I enhanced the contrast on this scene and found this

http://i.imgur.com/vLNB9ou.gifv

Wow. Even in low contrast he keeps details like proper aspect ratio.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Cinematographer posted this on Instagram, but it's like as cryptic as you could possibly get.

30 minute backwards brooming scene in the red room, this time with a push broom. gently caress yeah

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

tap my mountain posted:

The sweeping scene is good, I'm not sure why everybody thinks it's just a troll. It's a callback to the cigarette butts littering the floor in the bar in FWWM.

I made sure to tune in 15 minutes early just to watch the scene again.

No joke

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

This reminds me of 2001

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I have no idea anything that just happened

It was the craziest hour in TV history

Showtime is insane

We will never get a season 4

I love it

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I'm totally okay with not getting a season 4. Season 3 has been more than I could've ever hoped for already.

Couldn't agree more

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I think I understand why Lynch insisted it air weekly now.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I always got the impression that Laura was important in some unknown way just by how the original series treated her after her death is "solved". Literally showing her face still during the opening credits of the new series helps me think that too.

The new series is called "The Return". They never explicitly said it was Cooper returning.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

The NiN scene works fine as it's a little overture for what comes next.

My feelings were the same. The end of the song directly into resurrected bad Cooper into nuclear explosion was perfect. The transitions wouldn't seem so jarring if they didn't play the whole song first.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Watching that makes me very glad Lynch gave Showtime almost no footage to make a trailer with.

Also, using the PAL DVD for footage of the original series bothers me.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

:stare:

How is this gonna improve on the version already included in The Entire Mystery? The Missing Pieces is already the best bonus feature you could hope for, and the transfer of the movie already looks amazing.

The transfer could easily be improved, and Criterion is the best at that sort of thing.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

It could? I don't know, the transfer from TEM looked pretty loving great to me and they're even using footage from it in season 3, aren't they?

I don't really see a reason to buy the movie again, but I haven't heard what they're doing to it/including on the disc yet.

It didn't look anywhere near as good as the series itself, so I'd say there is room for improvement.

Don't get me wrong, it didn't look bad, I'm just really picky. The series looked pretty much flawless.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

pissdude posted:

The tagline for episode 12 is "Let's Rock" :rms:

Dnnn nah nah dnn nah nah

That episode was loving great

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Miching Mallecho posted:

Holy poo poo Freddie is going to arm wrestle Bad Coop

That is a great theory and this was a great episode.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

WELL THAT EPISODE WAS loving INSANE AND AMAZING.

For the record, my wife predicted a few days ago that Janey-E and Diane were sisters, and made a good case for it too. She lost her poo poo when the episode confirmed it. I'm so proud of her :allears:

She should post

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

It is funny, given that ep 14 aired before ep 13 in Germany, it makes absolutely no difference in terms of story line which one airs first.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The Walrus posted:

sarah palmer's scene would be much different

How does the repeat boxing scene change things, I don't understand

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I hope Cooper is given the choice to return to his old life or remain Dougie forever and chooses Dougie.

"Would you like to return to Agent Cooper or stay as Dougie forever?"

"Dougie forever."

drat right.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

In case anyone wanted to know, here's a link to a spreadsheet with a list of inconsistencies in the book:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XEvoZzu9XUU13cWcELbJ3vQ2M--lnnGowrElBTRec8M/edit?usp=sharing

I would tend to think that (most of) the errors are intentional, at least as far as season 3 goes with the errors instead of the original information. For example, Norma saying she has no family last episode, when her mother and sister were in the original series, goes along with her mother having died in 1984 in the book and neither season 3 or the book mentioning Annie.

https://twitter.com/mfrost11/status/788854512807243776

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Annie was mentioned explicitly by name in part 7 and Laura also wrote her message in her diary

Hmmm, I forgot about her being mentioned by Hawk. Her message being in the diary can easily be explained away by lodge weirdness, but not Hawk remembering her. I will say it is strange that he doesn't mention to Sheriff Truman that Annie is Norma's sister since he presumably doesn't know who Annie is but undoubtedly knows who Norma is.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

kaworu posted:

I am trying not to act like it's totally a coincidence that the one person who seriously criticized Lynch for being overly indulgent in Season 3 and compared it to season 2 is also seriously thinking somehow that reading a bunch of sweaty nerds comment on a show is somehow even remotely equivalent to watching it or even worth reading in lieu of an unspoiled watch of the finale :stare:

Imagine experiencing episode 8 through forums posts. Or last episode. Or any of them, really.

This is a show that is more about the experience of watching it than the plot. The best thing about the show is that you have no idea what strange or beautiful thing you could see from week to week, or scene to scene. Why watch someone sweep for 3 minutes? Because you don't know what is going to happen next or how important it will be. I can't understand why anybody who has made it this far in the show would want to lose the joy of discovery by reading reactions just because you can't watch it live.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

redreader posted:

Anyone here on PST? Can we expect it at 6pm or 5pm?

I'm watching on Amazon but the showtime site itself says 'TWO PART FINALE: TONIGHT AT 8PM ET/PT' which means ... 8pm PST?

8PM PST if you are watching on Showtime on cable. Should be EST for everything else.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Cable listings show two back to back episodes tonight, but I thought it was a single two hour finale. Anybody know which one it is?

The first two episodes were edited together to be one continuous show, but they were broken apart as separate episodes online, so I'm not really sure there is much of a difference.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

esperterra posted:

He basically tells her he wants to be with her, but what he needs and she needs is different than those wants. She's vulnerable and it would be a bad idea. She needs a friend more in that moment.

S1 was building them up hard.

Also she is still in high school. I have to imagine the FBI would frown upon agents going into town and banging the local high schoolers during investigations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

That is probably just a coincidence, but it is really interesting regardless.

Then again, maybe not? I didn't buy most of that guy's theory, but the whole show doesn't have to sync up to make it interesting, just that last part.

Shibawanko posted:

I'm staring at it and not seeing it. Was there a flicker in the final scene? I don't remember that.

There was definitely glitching and skipping in that last scene, and in other scenes throughout the series.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Krinkle posted:

...Why is there an international pilot that has bob found and killed?

The budget for the pilot was contingent on him making a complete movie version that they could sell overseas in the event the show wasn't picked up. The international "pilot" is really just that movie version.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Good luck getting 8 hours of 1980p footage on one disc :v:
Let's see, at about 3 minutes per episode for the theme song and credits, and 13 music acts at around 4 minutes apiece, the series would still be over 15 hours I think.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Let's say I want to show The Return to someone who hasn't seen the first two series, you think there's a way to boil them down to the absolute essentials you need to know to get what S3 is all about? Like in the area of 5-6 episodes and Fire Walk With Me? I realize it's a tall order to condense a show down to a fifth of its runtime but I don't want to be all like "we have to sit through these 24 hours of TV before we can start with the good stuff."

I figure you gotta at least know about the red room, the essentials of the murder investigation (i.e. whodunnit), what Albert, Gordon, Bobby and Major Briggs are all about, and definitely Just You.

Having re-watched seasons 1 and 2 recently, every episode has something essential in it, even the bad ones, and the bad ones aren't as bad as I remembered. Outside of the James story line, the "bad" parts are all entertaining even if stupid.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t care about award shows but Twin Peaks not getting noms for almost every category is seriously some hack poo poo.

It is too weird to get a ton of awards

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Season 3 ruined tv for me. Nothing will ever reach the highs of this season. I watch game of thrones since then and been bored as gently caress. Same with anything else.

Same, but also most movies sadly. Luckily the Criterion Channel has plenty of good stuff.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

And More posted:

edit: Btw, there is now a patch out for Deadly Premonition on Switch making it officially playable. There is obviously still room for improvement, but at least it's now one of the better versions you can buy (because it's not broken).

It is amazing that they fixed it so quickly but didn't notice the problems in the first place.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

I'm just not sure there's much more story that they want to tell.

I have infinite faith in David Lynch at this point. Last season is the only show to come back and ever be better than the original, and the original was one of the best shows ever already.

Besides, after the end of last season, he could literally tell any story he wanted with as few or as many connections to the previous show as necessary. Every actor could be a different character.

If they are really planning on bringing it out in 2020, no way it is near the 18 episodes of season 3, right?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/DAVID_LYNCH/status/714871987043078144?s=20

Season 4 will surely be about Dougie getting Bernie elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/davidvconway/status/1240380879610040320?s=20