Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
wraps things up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

What Fireman tells Coop:
It's in our house now
It cannot be said aloud
Richard and Linda
Two birds with one stone
Cooper is far away

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

What's (especially) weird about the Fireman/Coop scene is that it seems like the Fireman is guiding Coop to go to this other dimension to rescue Laura's spirit (I guess) but it all seems to result in a horrible end. The Fireman was otherwise putting pieces into place to take care of Mr C so why send Dale to this fate afterwards?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

My struggle right now is that, in this show, we learned the lesson of don't gently caress with extra-dimensional beings who may or may not represent emotional longings at the end of S2 and at the end of S3 it's just a confirmation of yep, you should have not hosed with extra-dimensional beings to fix your emotional issues.

I've adored S3 but that's a tough ending to hang on. I've loved so many scenes this season but if this is the end, what was the point?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

*Plays "Blue Frank" on endless repeat*

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

So what was up with that box in Buenos Aires?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I hope that whenever someone in this tread mentions "Is it future, or is it past?" reads that aloud in MIKE's backward voice.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

It's "What year is this", not "What year is it?" you guys.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm at peace with most of the unresolved aspects of this wonderful S3 whether through my interpretation of what certain things mean or just knowing there will be no definitive answer - with the exception of two things:

- Hawk's walk to Glastonbury Grove while talking with Margaret. They know something is happening, he sees the Red Room drapes, then the scene is over. What is the significance of this?

- Briggs' body and how/why it ended up being placed in Ruth's bed (with her severed head) and why Dougie's wedding ring was placed in his stomach.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

When doing a recent rewatch, I think that the exact moment Cooper gets his mental trauma when leading the purple world is when he gets zapped by that first bit of electricity from the socket. As soon as that happens, he gets a total Dougie-like look of stupor on his face.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Now it is us that have the faces of stone.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

...! posted:

Why Lynch gets that kind of disturbing treatment and other writers/directors don't is beyond me.

I think it's because he has a pretty proven track record of (often) leaving a ton of ambiguity in his work and endings so he's critiqued on a relative scale. If you're familiar with Lynch at all, you know you're very likely going to be viewing something that will not explain things, will leave things unresolved, will operate on dream logic (feeling something vs knowing something), etc. He also refuses to ever explicitly define his vision because he wants his art (in all forms) to be open to our interpretation of it.

I don't think his work is unassailable but it does appeal to me, no matter its faults, and others because it is refreshingly different from most anything else on TV or film. GRRM builds worlds very methodically with a ton of history and context, and that's wonderful. Lynch is just something else and it either appeals to you or not (vs "getting it" or not). There is no other director who can mix weirdness, existentialist horror, humour, banality, etc. like Lynch can, so I give him a lot of leeway when certain things don't work for me because so much of it does.

In summary:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I still can't believe Lynch cut this scene of Laura from FWWM:

Incredibly unsettling and a great way of showing us the conflict inside of her. Rewatching that, I think that Sarah's "Laauurraaa" line is the one that is used in the final scene of S3.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

here we are

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Man, do I miss this show and the experience of that new episode every week and all the conversation in between. I'm still so haunted by that last episode.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Harry Dean, man.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

TIFF has been showing Lynch films for the last few weeks and I'm heading to see FWWM tonight. Figure it's going to be quite an experience on the big screen.

They'll be showing S3 episodes 1, 2 and 8 in a couple of weeks as well.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

A 1-2 episode per week rewatch would be very cool. Sign me up. I'd love to get into S3 dicussions and how it reframes the rest of the series now that it's all over.

Rewatching FWWM in a crowded theatre last week was super interesting. More laughs than I expected during the first half of the movie, especially the Deer Meadows scenes. Someone got very excited for David Bowie. Pretty much everybody laughed anytime James was onscreen. Pink Room scene was totally mesmerizing. Old couple walked out of the theatre after Leland/Bob rape scene. Few people moved when it ended, most needed to just sit there and absorb those last 20 minutes and watch the credits. Clear now just how much S3 was a continuation of FWWM than the series itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

"And may the road rise up to meet your wheels." One of the funniest scenes of the series and played to perfection by Forster, among his many other roles. As much as I appreciate Michael Ontkean as Truman, Forster was such a gentle, steady presence in The Return that I can't help but wonder what could have been.

I'm so grateful for The Return, and now with Catherine Coulson, Miguel Ferrer, and now Robert Forster all having passed on it will only mean more in subsequent viewing.