Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Vernatio posted:

The man is a Final Fantasy V master, and proof that you can complete the fiesta with pretty much any class, given that he's solo-d the game with each class alone (Minus Mime and Berserker).

He got to the end with a solo berserker. That counts.

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ginfs4TY0oo

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. I know it's kind of old, but if it doesn';t get you in the mood for Fiesta, I don't know what will.

If you're looking for music to get you in the mood for the Fiesta, there's only one choice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Why aren't there dates in the OP? I need to schedule my life around this dang it!

Preregistration starts in June, the Fiesta proper starts roughly two weeks later, and it ends on September 1st.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't think he can top last year.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Blue Mage and Beastmaster work well together, but not so much when you have Berserker too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Not sure about #fifthjob if it always replaces your Earth slot, though. Chemist and Dancer tend to become more powerful as the game goes along, and Samurai is nice to have near the end as well. It'd be better if you could use it to get rid of a class like Monk or Red Mage that shines in the first half but peters out in the second.

#fifthjob could work out well if you're doing a random/chaos run. It'd be better if it let you replace any single job, and that wouldn't even be that hard to program. You'd just have to have separate tags like #krilewind, #krilewater, etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Classtoise posted:

Honestly the best bet might be to just do random chance. Roll a die or something for each crystal to pick what class. And unless the dice are super friendly (they never are), they shouldn't get Blue/Mystic/Bard/Chemist or something scary strong.

Pretty good odds they roll one or two of those classes, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Potentially of interest to some people here: How Three Kids With No Experience Beat Square And Translated Final Fantasy V Into English

quote:

One day in the late 1990s, Myria walked into the Irvine High School computer room and spotted a boy playing Final Fantasy V. There were two unusual things about this. The first was that Final Fantasy V had not actually come out in the United States. To play the 1992 Japanese game in English, you’d have to download a ROM, then install the unofficial fan translation patch that had recently begun circulating the internet. Myria knew about this patch because of the other unusual thing: she helped make it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pure chaos. Should be fun.

KataraniSword posted:

Also, I have realized that Monk's utility goes completely the opposite direction once you replace !Kick with a command that isn't hot garbage.

Honestly, if the default command were !Focus, it'd be a great class.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What the hell, I'll make a pledge too. The general consensus is that the most overpowered jobs are Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist, so let's see what y'all can do without them. I'll throw in $10 for every goon who triple crowns with none of those jobs. No upper limit, but that's every goon, not every run.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Time Mage trivializes the Omega fight, but it's otherwise much less of an "I win" button than Mystic Knight. But hey, if someone wants to quickleak Omega to make me donate $10 to charity, then hey, more power to them.

(That's also part of the reason why I stipulated one donation per goon rather than one donation per triple crown.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

From the run description:

quote:

Where can I watch The Run?

Wonderful people will be participating in The Run this year. Here are their Twitch channels.
puwexil: twitch.tv/puwexil
eLmaGus: twitch.tv/elmagus
Jenja: twitch.tv/jenja23
Yagamoth: twitch.tv/yagamoth

I guess DragonDarch decided not to try to top last year's performance. That's probably for the best.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I am sad that I've never actually done this.

No time like the present.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Chemist/White Mage/Dancer/Beastmaster

World one will be painful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Byblos's wind slash is nasty with my team but I have blue access. Is Magic Hammer useful for anything later that would make it worth braving the RNG instead of nuking him down?

I can maybe see using it against Purobolos if you have no other options, but that's the only thing I can think of. If you have a good other strategy there, don't sweat it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

Didn't manage to get all the way through last year because stuff came up, but excited to see if I can finish the whole thing this time around.

Rolling Blue Mage first seems like a good start, once I figure out what the good spells to Learn are.

I haven't seen a blue magic guide here, so here's my attempt at writing one. I'm using the GBA names here, so you'll have to look up the translation if you're playing a different version.
  • Doom: Good for shutting down the back piece of NED if you don't have any other options.
  • Roulette: No.
  • Aqua Breath: Good for taking out the Sandworm with no effort, and an otherwise decent non-elemental all-target attack.
  • L5 Death: This is why Blue Mage is so broken.
  • L4 Graviga: Niche at best.
  • L2 Old: Absolutely must-have. W2 Exdeath is vulnerable, and he's just not a threat when he's at level one.
  • L3 Flare: Useful for getting Mighty Guard.
  • Pond's Chorus: Try Garula as White Mages, and then come back and cast this one on him. It's fun.
  • Lilliputian Lyric: Never used it.
  • Flash: Good for shutting down some early game bosses with powerful physical attacks. It loses its shine later on because it's hard to get to stick on higher level enemies.
  • Time Slip: ???
  • Moon Flute: Oh, a spell that makes your party berserk regardless of who casts it. Who came up with that?
  • Death Claw: This is another terribly broken spell. Get it as soon as possible.
  • Aero: Yes.
  • Aera: Yes.
  • Aeroga: Yes.
  • Flame Thrower: Useful in the early to mid game, but it drops off later on.
  • Goblin Punch: One of the most useful spells you have. It attacks with your weapon's full attack power, doesn't have an element, always hits, doesn't trigger physical counterattacks or break sleep/confuse, and it skips weapon scripts so you can get the full power of Excalipoor (or the Brave Blade if you can use it).
  • Dark Spark: Part of the level manipulation toolkit that lets you hit anything with L5 Death. Absolutely must have.
  • Off Guard: Nice on paper, but not great in practice.
  • Transfusion: Why?
  • Mind Blast: This might be useful if you got it before the last dungeon.
  • Vampire: Yes. This will carry you through the early game on its own.
  • Magic Hammer: Eh. It's very niche and not generally worth having.
  • Mighty Guard: The best spell in the game, maybe.
  • Self-Destruct: I guess?
  • ????: This is occasionally useful because it ignores defense. If you've got a Chemist, you can fight Prototypes in World 1 to stock up on Dark Matters with this.
  • 1000 Needles: Good if you can get it early, but that requires a Beastmaster. Otherwise pretty useless.
  • White Wind: Not that great for a Blue Mage, but if you can put this on a physical class with high HP, you've got the best healer.
  • Missile: This is another one I don't use.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OK, technically yes. But it's still late in World 3, and not in a place that a lot of Fiesta parties are going to go.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's $10 from me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

derra posted:

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/877316370987352064

(Dancing Dagger to proc Chicken Knife Sword Dances) Omega's easier when you can tank an Earthquake!

Edit - I guess this counts for the "Triple Crown without an OP class" right?

Yes. Also you're kinda nuts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Vernatio posted:

I just got Mystic Knight for the first time in a Fiesta, and I feel like either I'm misunderstanding something or the GBA version is different. Status effect spellblades are supposed to hit 100% of the time as long as the enemy isn't immune and you hit, right? I was fighting Purobolos and I wasn't able to land Silence consistently. I was using an Ancient Sword and a Coral Sword, if that matters?

They might be heavy, which means that silence would land but wear off very quickly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

WilliamAnderson posted:

Finished my first run of the year, probably taking a break until sometime in July. Too late for the Basch incentive sadly.

Quick leak and Zeninage are silly as hell.

That's $10 more.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Done, and done!

Counted. So far I've got derra, Mega64, Nethertribes and WilliamAnderson. Did I miss anyone?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Funktastic posted:

Run #2 down. A ridiculously easy run with White mage/Red Mage/Time Mage and Summoner. Quickleaked omega while I was asleep, and shinryu was a joke with both summoner and white mage. Being able to do dualcast and quick was pretty great.

So there's another a butt. What were the classes for the triple crown incentive?

Serene Dragon posted:

I've beaten Shinryu and NED now, so it's just Omega left.Thanks for all the tips, chicken dance is probably my safest bet for damage. I have plenty of ribbons/tiaras/dresses/aegis shields for all. I couldn't get the genji helm but I do have the armour that I think also protects against confusion.

Edit: I've had to rely on katana and barehanded crits to damage Omega before with my samurai/monk/thief/white team. It was rough going.

Serene Dragon posted:

Thanks very much for this, I just managed it at level 47 (with copious save stating to avoid encircle counters) using a similar set up to this. I put !dance, murakumo and genji armour on one of my samurai to test critical sword dance. It did ~1800 damage without crit, it only ever critted once for me but the critical did 9999 damage . Chicken dance did roughly 4400. So chicken dance is the more reliable method but yeah a critical murakumo dance hits max damage.

Adding Funktastic and Serene Dragon to the list.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Einwand posted:

Basch might be late, and he may be a coward, but he obtained all three crowns without any of ultrafilter's "overpowered" classes.

Counted!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

Count this!

OK.

gatesealer posted:

I'm in barrier tower right not and I'm wondering if there is a way to learn level 3 flare from the red dragon? I have Berserker/Time/Blue/Chemist

You'd need a Beastmaster as well as a Chemist. Red Dragons won't cast L3 Flare on their own, so you have to control them, but if you do so you can only cast it on them, so you'd have to inflict reflect with Mix.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Rirse posted:

I was watching a stream last night of a person using the randomizer for his fiesta run on the SNES since he ran it so many times he wanted something different. Anyway he used warp in the Ancient Library in world three and it sent him back to Ghido's cave. Wonder if this exist outside the randomizer?

And doing this let him visit the Mirage Village early.

That's the Ancient Library glitch. It only exists in the SNES version.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Chemist can also use their beserk mix on shinryu if you want, but that makes him do only melee attacks, and he's strong.

Shinryu's physical attacks are one hit kills, but they're single target. That makes him a lot more manageable than if you have to deal with stuff that hits everybody.

theshim posted:

Oh geez, I forgot about this. I triple crowned with WHM/THF/BST/BER

On the list.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

FeyerbrandX posted:

Forgot about this one too, so here's my triple crown:

Got it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mustard Iceman posted:

Triple crowned with Knight/Thief/Red Mage/Summoner

Samuel Clemens posted:

Black Mage / Red Mage / Summoner / Dancer

Two more.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

agradine posted:

One attack for every two successful flees, I believe

Yes. The formula is (number of flees)/2, but since FFV does everything in integer arithmetic, the fractional part gets lost.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Novasol posted:

Geomancer/Black Mage/Red Mage/Freelancer triple crown done.

Counted.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Asimov posted:

Happened to win without any of these jobs, thanks for the pledge.

Berserker/Summoner/Time Mage/Geomancer

Counted.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ablative posted:

Late Basch for the pile. First fiesta victory, first FFV clear, first triple crown.

Zantetsuken, motherfuckers.

Counted.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

I love how all the "worst job" discussions gravitate towards Monk or Dragoon when Red Mage is literally right there.

Red Mage gives other mage classes a nice ability if you grind exactly forever, but they themselves are nothing but a shittier version of whatever mage you already have, except with the "utility" of Raise and Protect.

Raise and Protect don't make up for them having the second-worst stamina in the game, squishier than anything but Dancers, and the rest of their stats are poo poo natively, too - if you get them in a physical team, they're just never doing damage once rodbreaking doesn't solve everything, period. Not even with a chemist boosting their levels to max.

Red Mage might be the worst job on its own, but it synergizes well with other classes, which is huge in the Fiesta. Monk and Dragoon don't.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

But what I'm worried about is getting a class combo that just can't triple crown no matter the grinding.

Knight/Zerker/Ranger/Dragoon would be a very unpleasant team to triple crown with even if it's technically possible.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Rebelle Winter posted:

Success!

This party was brutal through world 1 (BST was my earth job so I could only use THF until then anyway) and then it was easy street for the rest of the game thanks to THF generating tons of gil and SAM throwing that ton of gil at stuff.

Counted.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I somehow just found out that you can get a wind drake in world 3 by going to the top of castle Bal. I don't know how many times I've played FFV without ever trying that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Finished a run with Dancer/White Mage/Blue Mage/Monk. I did that as an unofficial run last year and struggled a bit after the Forest of Moore cause I was underlevelled. This year I spent some time grinding, and it was pretty smooth sailing. I got all four tablets, took out NED with no problems, and (just for fun) filled out the first four rows of summon magic. I could probably get all the level five spells, but Phoenix Tower is an unfun slog, so I think I'll pass. Now to figure out what to do next.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nasgate posted:

"It is time for your viscera to see the light of day!" Is possibly my favourite villain quote of all time.

I'm quite fond of it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's a map that has all of the overworld enemy encounters for the merged world. That might be useful.

• Locked thread