Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Fister Roboto posted:

But you donate money to use the job fair. That's the whole point. Using the mod circumvents that, even if it's just for one boss or whatever. You're cheating to get out of donating money to charity.

I'm not saying that you have to play the game a certain way. Like I already said, you can cheat your rear end off and nobody would know. I'm sure plenty of people already have. I think that's lovely, but no amount of complaining will change it.

My problem isn't that people cheat, it's that cheating is being encouraged ITT.

If anything it makes the charity more money to use the mod because someone who has to fight sandworm with four zerkers because all other jobs are from the earth crystal more than once ever will just stop playing the game and never return in a fit of rage.

(I'll still not use it though and end up having to kill thousands of Nakks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Charles Bukowski posted:

I wanted to do this last year but I ended up getting busy and forgetting. I would like to try again this year, it sounds fun.

I hope you do, it's a whole lot of fun and if you get stuck there are usually ten people to answer all questions in the IRC, where you should be anyways to tell us about your first fiesta.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Shiny777 posted:

What's the best place to grind a bunch of levels in World 3? I've got Black Mage and three Berserkers and have hit a wall on NED because my one controllable character gets destroyed by Almagest and NED loves to either Dispel the one Shell I get from the Wonder Wand or smack him with something else right before it goes off, so I'd like to just grind until I've got enough raw HP to eat the hit and power through.

If you're playing on an emulator, slap !berserk on the BM, set up, A and turbo to the same button, then go here:

and hold said button.

Equip Thief Knife on someone as well, and you'll steal a bunch of elixirs.

Also, another Basch victory. Yay! This was somehow a lot more fun than I thought it would be with three zerkers. It only took 44 game hours with A LOT of turbo buttoning. I think I could've won at like lvl 50 but grinded up to 57 because I literally just put a bottle on my keyboard and left as my zerkers fell down stairs and murdered snakes in the pyramid. Returned every 10 minutes or whatever to chug some elixirs.

I also finished the game with 2 million gil, so that was fun.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I couldn't find out how to make a space on the naming board on the SNES version so I don't know if A-Butt works. I did it anyways, just in case.

That was the easiest NED fight I've ever had. I did #reg #upgrade and got Blue Mage, Summoner, Ninja, Dancer. So I had to struggle with the low HP at times, but seriously, that team was loving amazing. I went into NED with Golem and Big Guard all set up from TreeDeath, immidiately hit Almagest with the first Shoat, Magic Lamped the Magic bit to death, used mindblast on the Grand Cross part to make it fall asleep and then just blasted the fucker with wind knifed syldras and chicken knife sword dances. Made sure the sleeping bit was last to avoid the gently caress You stage. It was fun.

He hit me once between golem casts for 300-something damage due to back row and protect. My lvl 27 ~600 hp dancers (they are all att full hp in the screenshot) beat the poo poo out of that monstrosity.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

OzFactor posted:

I'm trying to work out whether it would be better to save the lamp for the end, since my Berserkers will go in order: Physical, then Almagest, then Grand Cross. I know I'm going to need to be able to take up to three Almagests, but I really don't know if I should be counting on surviving more than a small handful of Grand Crosses. There's just too many statuses that can take the Ranger out.

If I lamp the back piece right off, I narrow the Rapid Fire targets, but I'm just not sure how often she'll be attacking. I guess I'd be okay for a few rounds, but I'd have to switch to full-on healing mode when Almagest is coming. And God help me if the Grand Cross piece is the last one left. The Hayate Bow will probably help, but that means no shield.

If I save the lamp, I can end the rage timer, but only if she's still alive at that point, and that's going to be quite a few lucky Grand Crosses.

Either way, it's grinding time! Again.

I have to ask why you didn't switch versions a long time ago. It would probably be faster to emulate the whole game from the start on the SNES and underflow earth hammers than grind enough to win like this.

Edit: My first run this year was also 3xzerk and a ranger and I had fun with it because I had underflow and stuff.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

I will report back if the quick leak works on mobile :downsgun:

I'm like 99% sure I've read that it doesn't

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Samuel Clemens posted:

Mystic Knight is one of the few classes that has an easy time against Blue Dragons. The combination of Break Spellblade and the Ice Shield shuts them down nicely.

And ninjas have !smoke and like 400 in speed.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Simply Simon posted:

Due to speedup, I later misaimed a Succubus Kiss on Galuf during the Exdeath duel. As Galuf cannot take damage, he took himself from 0 to max life by absorbing his own nonexistant life force. drat that dude was badass, rip!

That happens whether you can die or not. I've done it to Omega and healed myself with my own nonexistent HP too.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

JerikTelorian posted:

Something I've been wondering about : why are we Berserking Shinryu? Doesn't that make it faster and stronger?

Berserk doesn't make it faster either. Chemist has a !mix that causes haste blink and berserk and bypasses all resitances, but since Shinryu isn't immune to berserk you don't use that, so Shinryu only gets stronger.

If you use that mix to Berserk, say, omega though, then you're in for a treat.

And yeah, berserk shinryu for the reason derra said. Regular physical attacks can also be negated in a whole lot of ways Tidal Wave and Snowstorm can't.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just registered my first game of this tonight. Never played FFV before (though I'm familiar with the loose plot elements via FFRK and FFXIV). Got Monk as my Wind Crystal job. Completely crushed the Siren boss in one round of everyone using focus, was kinda hilarious. On the way to some mountain to find Hiryu the wind drake.

Nice. Welcome to the fiesta. Join the discord if you need immediate help with something. There's almost always someone around to answer questions.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: The Brave Blade donation drive is now finished. :siren:

Aw, man, and I even recently reset my run because I got a knight and wanted to do this.

I guess I'll just donate myself if I manage to get through it all with Brave Blade at 300 (because obviously two handing it), and double the ammount if I accidentially ran away in the first cave or whatever by pure reflex.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

purkey posted:

Holy crap, what level do I need to be to beat Sol Cannon with Geomancers and Bards?!

Doesn't !gaia always use Wind Slash in that fight too? Which is actually a really good attack.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

dis astranagant posted:

A mediocre attack that Sol Cannon is immune to.

Okay, yeah, if Sol cannon is immune to it, that makes it a mediocre attack.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

CuddlyZombie posted:

Oh, really. The wiki says that battle speed has no effect on the player, but rather determines how frequently monsters can act. Hopefully that's just the FFWiki lying/being wrong?

Well, in a sense that's true since if you have battle speed set to one the time it takes for you to make inputs will be time for the monsters to charge their atb and attack you. It's a grave simplification, but practially it's true since you don't get more actions but the monsters might.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Rudicron posted:

Very well.
Inspired by Dragondarch's level-matching Goblin Punch shenanigans, one of my own FF5 memories, and the current hypothesis that #regpopular is weighted toward blue mages;

I pledge $5 for each Galuf who hits Exdeath with a level-matched Goblin Punch, to a maximum of $100 (for I am unfortunately not inordinately wealthy).

After all, what better way to protect your granddaughter from a tree demon, than with a magically enhanced punch to the face?

Here we go! At level 15 which cost me a couple of ethers due to the tiny chance of hitting with Dark Spark twice.

And bonus Cara avenging her Grandfather at lvl 16. This one was a Huge pain in the rear end. I did the math and the first dark spark from my highest level people (lvl 29) had a 2.4% ish chance of hitting. Which meant I had to cast it a lot while surviving W2 Exdeath. Not the easiest thing in the world. Thank god I had time mage to Haste myself and get twice the number och attacks in. I also tried it with Knight !Guarding everyone and reflect rings but it just ended with Exdeath killing himself faster than I could dark spark him.

At least it was easy after getting him to lvl 16 where I did 6000+ damage with Excalipoor Goblin punches.

No videos as I was playing on my phone and it didn't want to record videos.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Man with Hat posted:

Here we go! At level 15 which cost me a couple of ethers due to the tiny chance of hitting with Dark Spark twice.

And bonus Cara avenging her Grandfather at lvl 16. This one was a Huge pain in the rear end. I did the math and the first dark spark from my highest level people (lvl 29) had a 2.4% ish chance of hitting. Which meant I had to cast it a lot while surviving W2 Exdeath. Not the easiest thing in the world. Thank god I had time mage to Haste myself and get twice the number och attacks in. I also tried it with Knight !Guarding everyone and reflect rings but it just ended with Exdeath killing himself faster than I could dark spark him.

At least it was easy after getting him to lvl 16 where I did 6000+ damage with Excalipoor Goblin punches.

No videos as I was playing on my phone and it didn't want to record videos.

And because I'm dumb I took it further!

I saw Bufuman's challenge and also saw that people did bonus Goblin Punches against W2 Exdeath and decided I might as well goblin punch every form of the fucker. So I did.

Here's Cara taking out her anger over loosing her grandfather who was, it seems, her last remaining family on a tree.

And here's my victory tweet with bonus Goblin Punching NED and L5 Deathing NED:
https://twitter.com/mickrov/status/902953111026880513

It was fun playing through the game basically having to keep people at specific levels always. As I said earlier, the worst part was Dark Sparking W2 Exdeath. That was actually worse than setting up NED.

I ended up with Cara at lvl 19 to do a double dark spark against Treedeath, who thankfully only has 15% magic evade. At lvl 77, the first dark spark brought it down to 38 and the second one to 19. I had to do this a couple of times because I lost to NED.

And since I am lazy and dumb I went into NED with a magic lamp that was used past Odin (I sold my reflect rings and needed Ruby Light against Omega). So for the magic part, which is by far the worst part of NED in my opinion, I did a bunch of death claws and prayed. After getting a dark spark to hit it (since I pressed the wrong thing in the menu) I eventually also landed death claw and then killed it with aero 1.

After that it was just a matter of survival. Since Blue Mage is the best and has Mighty Guard, that wasn't too bad. Almagest was still able to kill Cara as I had kept her at lvl 19 and she had no health, but after the first Dark Spark finally hit, the power was greately reduced and the biggest threat was Grand Cross (which got close to wiping me a few times. Great, a confused person, a zerked person and a dead person. THANKS).

I hosed up here though and got another Dark Spark in immediately after the first. Since the Almagest part is lvl 67 I had stopped leveling my Blue Mage at lvl 33. But since the other Dark Spark also hit, the part dropped to 16 where I considered restarting out of principle. But I changed my mind, hit myself with dark spark to match lvl 16 and that is why the screenshot above has me hitting it for 6400 dmg and not a lot more. From then on my Blue Mage was on whacking Almagest duty until it was dead.

Now, this is where I'd usually start counting HP and kill the two last parts at once. But I didn't feel like counting HP, so I went back to missing repeatedly with Dark Spark until I managed to bring the physical part down to lvl 40. Then I left it there and killed the Grand Cross part before popping L5 death to finish in style.

:words: TL;DR I Goblin Punched things for Bufuman and Sonic the Monk saved the world in two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Rudicron posted:

Throwing in a little bonus for you Above and Beyond-goers; not counting it against the original limit.

4 Slots left, for anyone who still wants to get in on the Galuf Punch Action.

Oh, thanks! It was a fun challenge, as I said, so I appreciate you coming up with it!

• Locked thread