Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Red Mage.

If its stats weren't so garbage, I might like it, but even Monk can be made competent with enough level grinding. Red Mages will never be anything more than a Protect/Elixir bot without stapling on abilities from other, better classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

I'll go cycle my wonder-rod then, for Shinryuu. I assume it won't work on Omega?

I have x-fight but no real way to prevent all the statuses he throws at me. I'm currently level 80 and have everyone wearing fire rings for that encounter, but maybe wall rings or hermes shoes would be better? I assume Aegis is still the best shield, since it blocks some statuses.

The only thing that works on Omega is Stop, and thanks to reflect and sky high m-ev (due to being natively over level 100) the only reliable way to stick it is with Romeo's Ballad. (Or, as stated, the bugged !Calm, which also always hits.) Yes, singing Omega to death was dev-intended.

If you're brute-forcing Omega, Hermes Shoes is always the best choice; Aegis is good for blocking spell counters (such as unlucky Encircles) but Fire Shields could soak Atomic Rays. It ultimately depends on if damage or status is what's messing you up more. If you have hat-wearing classes, consider Lamia Tiaras as a hat; they prevent the Confuse attached to Rocket Punch.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chadina posted:

I did a run before the fiesta with Mystic Knight, Dragoon, Monk, and Ranger where I got my first ever triple crown at level 40. I seem to recall it was a DPS race + lucky blocks/jumps for Shinryu, but Mystic Knight + Rapid Fire + Hermes shoes just demolished Omega before it could even do much.

Yeah, to brute force Omega, all you actually need is:
- ability to pierce its defense (Anything lightning-elemental that isn't bounced by Reflect can do this, even a Trident or a Coral Sword... it's gonna take forever to do it that way though. !Rapidfire also ignores defense, or in the absolute most dire of cases, Katana/Fist criticals or Axe damage variance)
- ability to get past 95% evasion (Stop-locking is best for this, though !Rapidfire, !Jump, and !Throw also work)
- the HP/status resistance to soak the counter abuse (and slight RNG luck to avoid Encircles).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Is this a screenshot resizing problem or did you actually play through the whole game like that

More a "bad screenshot timing" problem. The zoom-outs at the end have some really wonky scaling.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Arrrthritis posted:

A thought just occurred to me.

How are the mime/zerkerx3 parties going to unlock mime?

Mods/cheats, or if they're staunchly against that, some absurd kinda luck with mage mashers on the wizard of rug.

Barring that, the job fair to remove the offending class.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

!hide and !Sing are very strong. And you can give your black mage and mystic knight bard abilities to make them faster.

Yeah, !Sing is kind of absurd.

Source:

Turns out that if you've got three summoners barfing Syldras after a full retinue of Magic/Speed/Level songs, NED doesn't even get a single turn.

It also turns out that you can still tell the game to try to run away from a battle as the final boss is dissolving.

EDIT: Also, about the time Black Mage and Mystic Knight start lagging behind is exactly the time that Bard starts excelling, since you can get the speed song right before Barrier Tower. Give your bard !Black and let him be a bootleg nuker until his time has come to sing his heart out.

(Semi-relatedly, between the Apollo Harp and queueing up the Wonder Wand for Berserk, you basically have a free Shinryu kill. Get a reflect ring and have your black mage bounce Thundagas off himself while the other three characters sing Romeo's Ballad to keep Omega stunlocked. Enjoy your triple crown.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 20, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

OzFactor posted:

edit: come to think of it... why do the soldiers attack you in Karnak?

Why does anything happen to the party? Probably Exdeath's fault. Plus, you know, you did just shiv the hell out their queen after she became a giant person made out of fire. (Because Exdeath made her, of course)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Simply Simon posted:

If anyone cares for another anecdote, I am rolling through everything with three Berserkers and a Black Mage, aka "Faris desperately throws Rods at problems before the rest do something stupid". I have Fifth Job, so maybe I'll get a fourth Berserker??? (to replace another, I thankfully got the mage first)

Grind up four flame rings in world 1, your angry mans would appreciate the effort.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

UberJew posted:

i rolled chemist so i guess i need to go read up on how to break the game

Shortest form, aka the stuff in !Mix that is absurd no matter what your team composition:

Turtle Shell + Maiden's Kiss: Succubus Kiss. Imagine if Drain had as much power as Flare. Yeah.
Dark Matter + Phoenix Down: Death Potion. Use this to murder things that can be murdered. (Good targets include Dragon Grass and the Seal Guardians)
Dragon Fang + Maiden's Kiss: Dragon Kiss. Makes a character Heavy (which gives them immunity to a lot of otherwise unresistable status poo poo) and Dragon-type. Can be used on enemies along with Dragon Whisker/Dragon Lance/Apollo's Harp for massive damage.
Phoenix Down + Potion: Resurrection. Because having Arise for free as early as World 1 isn't absurd.
Turtle Shell + Phoenix Down: Remedy. Cures pretty much everything that Dragon Kiss doesn't prevent.
Turtle Shell + Eyedrops: Hasty-Ade. It's Haste. That's all it needs to be.
Antidote + Maiden's Kiss: Levisalve. It's Float. That's all it needs to be.
Holy Water + Antidote: Samson's Might. Gives a character a temporary +10 Levels, to a max cap of 255. This is used in damage calculations, so it makes you murder better. It also makes your spells more likely to hit and the enemy's less likely to. (Hero Cocktails do the same thing, with !Drink, if you have that on a character for some reason.)
Dragon Fang + (Hi-)Potion: Dragon Power. See above, but +20 Levels. Twice as good, but needs a material you can't farm easily (or at all, before Drakenvale). The weaker version, in comparison, uses store-bought materials.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 20, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rirse posted:

So my fifth job was White Mage, which replaced Bard. Not a bad trade off, even if bard can be better in the end. White Mage does mean more power for my ninja's throw scrolls along with my red mage's doublecast will actually be useful!

And I guess zerker can equip white magic for healing out of battle.

Zerky also really likes !White 6 for the magic boost. Rune Axe keys off of that stat for its attack bonus, so a white-slinging Berserker will do significantly more damage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I mean, you still can, but you're knowingly double-hindering yourself (gotta fight all those battles + got weaker equip) for a charity toxx.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Can you elaborate more on this? I don't know enough about the mechanics to know when this would apply.

From the algorithms FAQ, here is the base damage equation for physical attacks:

code:
Damage = (Attack - Defense) * M
Attack is the attack power of the weapon. M, the damage multiplier, is based mostly on a character's Level and their relevant stat (Strength for physical attacks, Magic for magical attacks).

The Brave Blade uses the normal M equation for physical weapons, as shown:
code:
M = (Level*Strength)/128 + 2
The Chicken Knife, on the other hand, uses an uncapped variation of the dagger equation, which takes Agility into consideration:
code:
M = (Level*Strength)/128 + (Level*Agility)/128 + 2
For daggers other than the Chicken Knife, the agility calculation is truncated to a single bit, so it's a 1-point sway back and forth. The Chicken Knife uses the full agility stat, though.

Let's take a Placeholder Knight at Level 40 with 45 Strength and 20 Agility. Calculations helpfully taken from the discord bot.

code:
[10:59 PM] KataraniSword: .mcalc 40 45 physical
[10:59 PM] BOTCarbybot: At level 40 with 45 Strength, your physical M is 16.

[10:59 PM] KataraniSword: .mcalc 40 45 chicken 20
[10:59 PM] BOTCarbybot: At level 40 with 45 Strength and 20 Agility, your Chicken Knife M is 22.
Plugging those numbers, with maxed Chicken Knife and Brave Blade, into the damage equation against an enemy with a nice, standard 15 defense would give us the following:

Brave Blade:
(150 - 15) * 16 = ~2160 per attack

Chicken Knife:
(127 - 15) * 22 = ~2464 per attack

This is usually offset by the fact that Knights have access to Doublehand (which, when equipped and in use, doubles a weapon's M) and the fact the Chicken Knife has a 25% !Flee proc. However, if you can bypass that, a Chicken Knife will outdamage a Brave Blade pretty consistently despite the Brave Blade being numerically superior.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 21, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GMArcturus posted:

So can I ask what the best strategy for a quadzerker setup against Ifrit and Byblos would be? My Wind job was Chemist so until I get that Earth crystal I'm looking at some tough times. Currently the entire party is level 25.

Step 1: Grind.
Step 2: Pray.

Ifrit and Byblos suck, but you're gonna need to be in your low to mid 40s to push your way past Sandworm either way, so rev up those axes.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

derra posted:

Don't forget the crystals evade spells 20% of the time on top of the hit chance.

Yeah, the magic accuracy formula is essentially "(Spell Accuracy + Caster level) - (Magic Evade + Enemy Level)", so instead of being a ~31% chance to hit per proc, the crystal MEv makes it about a ~11% chance.

That's assuming that the proc triggers (33% of the time) and that the attack actually connects (85%).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

derra posted:

I don't think that's correct - it's an additional check (like Main Gauche or Elven Cloak evades).

Accuracy is Spell Accuracy + Caster Level - Target Level, or 31% in this case.

You also have to go through 100-mevade, or 80% here, giving it about a 25% chance per proc of sticking.

Huh, you're right. It checks hit% and then checks evade%, as two separate rolls. I thought the two were part of the same calculation.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bregor posted:

Yeah I was hoping that a blind Zerk with Bone Mail, Reflect Ring and an axe for low accuracy would miss enough for Rugwizard to kill himself or run out of MP. Doesn't seem likely though.

Hit rate caps at 1% due to calculations, meaning there's always a chance to hit, and making Rugwizard suicide is almost as slow as running him out of MP thanks to inherent regen.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bruceski posted:

I got Blue after Karnak so I missed out on Iron Claw. Am I correct that the Bal statues won't use Death Claw on me without control (ie dancing dagger confuse will use it on themselves), so my next chance is Boatgamesh?

I think the tree dudes outside Exdeath's castle use it normally. Granted, if you're at Bal already, your next chance to go there is when you're about to fight Boatgamesh anyway, so it probably doesn't make much difference.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vernatio posted:

Are there any synergies I'm missing? White Mage seems to be barely holding this team together, even though the individual parts should be really powerful.

Your problem is mostly in that you lack offensive muscle; Beastmaster is good for utility but not a real powerhouse (aside from one-and-done !Catches), !Spellblade is absurd but Mystic Knight itself has only barely-above-Freelancer levels of Strength to attack with and is stuck with normal swords even as the game shifts to prioritizing Knight Swords and Katanas. In the latter half of W2 up until you get Holy and Flare, your entire offense is going to come from Chicken Dances.

On the flipside, you should concievably never die as soon as you get to Regole and get Shell.

Rirse posted:

Which of the sealed weapons are throwable? I got all the ones I need for my class of White Mage, Red Mage, Ninja, and Zerker and now just grabbing anything I figure my ninja can shove into Exdeath's face.

Excalibur, Holy Lance, Sasuke's Katana (which the Ninja should be using if he's not Twin-Chicken), Rune Axe (which the Zerk should be handling), Masamune, Assassin's Dagger (which is too nice to throw away except on the final boss if the Ninja isn't using it).

In other words, anything with a blade, plus the spear.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 22, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As a general rule, it's "anything with an edge or a point", right? (Moonring Blade, you stupid corner case)

Blood Sword can't be thrown, I'm pretty sure the Man-Eater can't, and I'm not sure on Defender. Bows arguably have points (on the arrows) but you can't chuck 'em.

As a general rule it works, but there are exceptions.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rirse posted:

Cool. Chicken Knife is still powering up so I am using Sasuke's Katana for now. By the way, does Ninja's dual wield let you use the katana as well? Thinking of giving the Sasuke's Katana to the Zerker while he has the Rune Axe in the other hand once I get the Chicken Knife full power.

By the way, is there any use to the curse ring like the FFVI version, or it just vendor trash? I am tired of it auto equipping anytime I change a skill out.

Sadly, only Ninjas (and Freelancers) can use Ninja Knives, and only Thieves and Ninjas (and Freelancers) can use Thief Weapons (the throwing rings and Twin Lance). There's no skill that lets you equip them.

That said, you should have no problem busting through Fork Tower (and you'd want to anyway, for Holy), so go to Istory Falls and pick up the Titan Axe for your Zerky to offhand with the Rune if you're two-fisting axes. (Alternately, give them !White 6 to boost the Rune Axe's damage and strap an Aegis Shield to them. Both options have merit.)

Cursed Ring (and, outside of niche setups, Bone Mail and Thornlet) have no way to remove their negative effects. They give boatloads of stats to compensate, but it's generally not enough. Chuck it.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 22, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

That is correct; if the effect procs, and the target is susceptible, it sticks. The Dark Bow is really good at nailing the physical piece.

It's similarly good at nailing a very angry Shinryu. Ranger + a rod/staff using class is basically a free Shinryu kill.

Keep in mind that's only for the Dark Bow, Killer Bow, and maybe the (anti-)Magic/Rune Bow? Things like the Mage Masher and Death Sickle have actual spell procs (Silence and Death, respectively) that respect M-Ev.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 23, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bard trivializes omega with romeo's ballad. white mage trivializes shinryu with beserk spell and blink.

It's worth noting that Bard alone can't actually do anything to Omega, they just lock it down and make it unable to do anything.

Thankfully, you have Mystic Knight to drop Thundaga Swords on his face for massive damage. :getin:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Novasol posted:

Geomancer, Black Mage, Red Mage, and... Freelancer. Okay Gilgabot, sure.

Four Black Mages, two with Dualcast. :shrug: Could be worse. As a bonus, you can get two Rune Chimes and have your elemental boosting on 3/4ths of the team. Red Mage still sucks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Float, Haste, slow, comet and meteor are your friends.

Also, you can kill anything, even poison immune or absorbing bosses, by casting quick, breaking a venom rod on an enemy, and then just waiting. Do not take further actions in quick mode, sap will never wear off if you stay in quick time, and eventually their hp will hit 1. (I'm unsure if sap can kill enemies by itself, or if it caps at one. Either way, meteor or comet to finish them off.)

It kills them off. If it didn't, Omega wouldn't be able to be quick-leaked. (Its Magic Defense is way too high for even Comet and Meteor to scratch the paint.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

OzFactor posted:

It does not. To be specific, stopping in the middle of a Quick does prevent any actions from taking place, but the timer on Sap is not infinite and will run out eventually. I'm not really sure what they "fixed," i.e. if the original versions' sap has a time limit and they fixed it to run out during a Quick, or if they fixed it by giving it a time limit. But either way, no Quickleaking.

edit: what agradine said

It's the former. Sap wears off after a short period of time normally; if it didn't, trying to run Soul Cannon with a team of thieves would be entirely impossible instead of just mostly impossible.

And status effects wear off significantly quicker on enemies that are Heavy; that's why you need to keep Silencing the Rugwizard if you try to punch him; Silence wears off after a single turn's time for him.

Serene Dragon posted:

I'm entering the void after picking up all the summons, and wondering if anyone has advice for taking on Omega with a team of Samurai/Samurai/Dancer/Summoner. What kind of level/gear/set up is gonna be required for this team?

Ramuh/Odin/Bahamut are going to be your only forms of damage, and you're gonna eat a lot of counters. It's going to take a long time and you're gonna burn through a lot of elixirs.

Whether it's "possible"? Theoretically. You'd probably want to be level 50+, maybe closer to 60 or 70. Put Aegis Shields or Flame Shields (depending on taste/fear of Atomic Ray vs Encircle counters) on both of your samurai, and if possible, Genji Helm/Lamia Tiaras/Ribbons on whoever you can manage to avoid Rocket Punch's confusion. Summoner might want to keep the Gold Hairpin, depending on if you find yourself running out of MP before heals.

For the record, that team can normally beat the final boss comfortably at about Lv35 or lower, so you're going well above and beyond what you'd need for that.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 23, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

fits posted:

sword dance chicken knife would do more damage and thus less overall counters. dancer with equip katanas for the strength bonus, everyone else geared for survival/elixer spamming

I keep forgetting that Sword Dance is "Attack * 2, M * 2" and keep thinking it's "M * 4". :downs: In most cases they're functionally identical, but in this case where a boss has 190 loving defense, not so much. With those numbers, Masamune Sword Dancing should work, too, though it'd do much less damage.

Katana crits would work on paper, but in practice getting around that 95% evasion and getting a critical isn't too likely to happen.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 23, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I love how all the "worst job" discussions gravitate towards Monk or Dragoon when Red Mage is literally right there.

Red Mage gives other mage classes a nice ability if you grind exactly forever, but they themselves are nothing but a shittier version of whatever mage you already have, except with the "utility" of Raise and Protect.

Raise and Protect don't make up for them having the second-worst stamina in the game, squishier than anything but Dancers, and the rest of their stats are poo poo natively, too - if you get them in a physical team, they're just never doing damage once rodbreaking doesn't solve everything, period. Not even with a chemist boosting their levels to max.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ultrafilter posted:

Red Mage might be the worst job on its own, but it synergizes well with other classes, which is huge in the Fiesta. Monk and Dragoon don't.

Geomancer synergizes well with other classes. Other classes synergize well with Red Mage. Red Mage, itself, cannot reap its own benefits. Monk is sort of the same way.

Dragoon, on the other hand, is a lovely island of boring, all alone.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Saigyouji posted:

Got my first ever Triple Berserker party. The other job is Summoner, so it could definitely be worse, but it's still triple Berserker.

SUM/BER/ZER/KER is actually one of the best teams you can get your tripzerk with. Summoner makes quick work of Byblos and Sandworm, Golem makes your punchmans functionally invincible, !Summon synergizes stupidly well with Gaia Hammer and Rune Axe, you can get an easy Fork Tower clear meaning a free Titan Axe and second Aegis Shield, and Phoenix is some good support if you bother to get it. It doesn't play to Summoner's natural damage-barfing ability, but it makes your Tripzerks so much better.

I'd rank it on par with White and Time Mage at least, if not quite to Chemist levels.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 3, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

4d3d3d posted:

Who thought Ex-death's fortress would be fun? Some encounters can just kill any team, any time. Wheee!

The dragon rooms are awful, yes. I'm pretty sure the dragon rooms, along with the bullshit high random encounter rate in Moore Forest (even if the fights aren't as brutal as in Meatfort, they're a lot more frequent and it makes Moore feel about ten times longer than it really is), are explicitly designed to discourage Brave Blade runs.

If you have Thief, Ninja, or Time Mage, this is a good chance to teach yourself how to run from battles. (Which is to say, !Flee, !Smoke, Teleport)

If you're doing a Brave Blade run, good luck and expect to reload any time you get the Blue Dragon Stack.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nasgate posted:

And you know if his origin was in a new jrpg you would purge his evil and he'd go back to being a friendly guardian tree.

I dunno; I mean in his current form he's basically a plant-based Angra Mainyu, and the Fate/ series handled that about as well as can be expected. You can't really purge the evil from the actual embodiment of evil.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Is there anywhere good/easy to grind gil in world 3?

In addition to Phoenix Tower mentioned above, there's at least one square in the north of the map that has nothing but Rukhs and Sea Devils. Rukhs give 5k gil, Sea Devils give 3k, and you can get fights with a rukh and two sea devils, a rukh alone, or three sea devils. They're not THAT hard unless you have an awful team, and the square in question is the ocean directly north of the Sealed Castle, up near the very top of the map.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Jesus, it's been, what, a week since I've made ANY progress on my 2nd run? Maybe two? I need to get back on this poo poo.

On the downside, I'm just getting to Regole in world 2 and only now realized that I forgot to grab the Toad spell. Figures it would slip my mind on the rare run where it could actually be useful (I've got Red Mage as one of my classes). I have a savestate back just before hopping into the meteorite-powered portal, but I can't decide if it would be worth redoing a few hours' worth of progress.

The only bosses where I feel like it's relevant are Apanda, Halicarnassus, and maybe Twintania. Most things in W2 are immune to it, afaik. More importantly, if you missed it in Istory, Phantom Village's non-secret magic shop has it, Mini, Float, Teleport, Speed, and the Lv1 summons. In other words, the stuff you're actually at risk of missing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bregor posted:

(Someone post that art of Rugwizard saying gtfo to !Gaia.)

Basically, unless you have a way of preventing Omniscient from casting spells (Mute, Berserk) or run him out of MP (ahahahaha good loving luck, takes about five times longer than Quickleaking Omega), the only jobs that are "allowed" to fight the rugwizard are:

Red Mage, Black Mage, Time Mage, Summoner, Blue Mage, White Mage (technically, though they need to Berserk him in order to kill him on their own)

That's it, no exceptions. Mobile I think made it so he even casts Return when Berserked, making it even more impossible or unfun.

EDIT: That said, the only things you're missing without one of the above options are a second Aegis Shield, the Titan Axe, and the Artemis Bow. The rest of the treasures in the other two tablet dungeons are either buyable (Flame Ring), redundant (if you needed Reflect Rings you did grinding in Barrier Tower), or trash garbage (Protect Ring, Kaiser Knucks)

Two zerks can get by just fine with the Rune Axe and Thor Hammer, and a Ranger is fine with the Yoichi Bow or !Rapidfire Chickens. If you want a second Aegis, just Thief Knife some Gorkimeras at the bottom of the Rift.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 8, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CapitalistPig posted:

Pretty much the only instances where you need to do fork tower are this, if you have a time mage, or if you have a summoner. (or of course if you want holy or flare)

You don't even need to do it with Summoner. Leviathan is trash because no equipment boosts Water damage, and every other summon is available as soon as you get the airship (or Black Chocobo, for Bahamut/Phoenix). Similar with Black Mages and Flare - unless a boss is immune to all elements, a rod-boosted -aga will generally do more damage, for cheaper, than Flare.

Time Mage needs Fork Tower, but Time Mage also has hasted/quicked Comets to do the job. It's messy and ineffective, but it works. White Mage needs Fork Tower, but Berserk/Blink means they can take a physical class along to do the lifting. Mystic Knight wants Fork Tower but gets Silence Spellblade and laughs at the idea of gimmicks.

Basically, the only times you'd need to do Fork Tower with a team that can't generally trivialize it (in other words, the only time you'd fall back on Reflect Ring tricks) are if you want that second free Aegis or if you're against mods/cheats and need to unlock Mime for a Pure Chaos run.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 8, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Poque posted:

Yeah! I think it will be a slog but definitely doable. I'll learn a lot about boss vulnerabilities for sure.

Most things are vulnerable to Slow. Looking over bosses, it looks like Liquid Flame, Atomos, Minotaur, Azulmagia, the Three Little Pigs, Necrophobe version Greg, and two of the four parts of NED (Almagest and Grand Cross) are the only things actually immune. There's a few more random encounters, but with Team Time Mage, you're generally gonna be running from those anyway.

Granted, the magic evasion formula is your worst enemy there, so even if most things are vulnerable, it may not always be practical to stick it. (I wouldn't cast it on W2 Exdeath, either, as he responds by hasting himself, which makes the fight much worse)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

At least putting !Throw on the Geomancer makes them good, because they have a bonkers-high magic score.

No way to pass it to the Ninja, sadly.

Ninja gets to have !Rapidfire so they aren't married to the Twin Lance in endgame, Geomancer gets !Throw to do reliable damage to bosses. Ranger gets to gently caress around with bows. It's not the highest power you'll get, but it's solid enough so far. !Animals also has some decent healing at the usual levels you're finishing World 1 and starting World 2 at, though it gets less reliable once you get near the end of W2.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Berserkers can, and should, use the Aegis Shield to prevent petrification. You should have one from the moore forest, but if you don't there's another in a chest somewhere if you missed it.

Yeah, the other Aegis Shield is in Istory Falls, which is locked off by Fork Tower. Don't bank on getting the second Aegis if you have more than one berserker.

Instead, you can thief knife extras (albeit slowly, they're the rare steal) off of Gorkimeras at the bottom of the Rift. It's tedious, but not more tedious than trying to beat rugwizard with zerky.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Doom Goon posted:

What a terrible waste of an Assassin Dagger :psyduck:

It really, really is. For a niche case that nobody would even notice or think about. Like, I'd expect this on Twintania, not freakin' Minotaur.

Plus, what team with Ninja actually has trouble with Minotaur? You have dual-wield and !Image, you've got literally no worries in that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ultrafilter posted:

So why does Minotaur have a special reaction for being on the receiving end of a thrown Assassin's Dagger? That seems like an odd thing to intentionally program.

Why do Fairy Orcs have a special reaction for being hit by Cure? (According to Algorithm FAQ, they target your entire party with Curaga)
Why does Ramuh cast Mini on your entire team if you Mini him?
Why does using a Gold Needle on an old man fix his bad back? (Seriously, do it on the fights with the Jura Aevis old men. Really works!)

FF5's AI scripts are full of weird little things that make no sense.

• Locked thread