Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is the "best" guide in the OP? You know, the freelancer one on GameFAQs that got a CarbyBot command at my urging last year. That guide "rules".

Break Rods Break Rods Break Rods Break Rods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Did y'all know that Blue mages can stun the Grand Cross part of Ned indefinitely with mind blast? Because blue mages can stun the Grand Cross part of Ned indefinitely with mind blast. Also: A butt.

Don't mind the three dead people, that's because I somehow miscounted by 15000 loving health and almost got eaten by a Ned.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I know I'm OP since I have mystic knight and black mage, I just wasn't sure how to feel about bard as my fire job. When I play vanilla I usually give them the ability to use good weapons, but that's not allowed here.

Of your three jobs, bard is probably the strongest late game, enabling bullshit the likes of which only like, chemist can get up to.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

derra posted:

I always get those 3 as well but thought it was worth calling out, because it seems people play this game very differently from me (hating Dancers? Grinding Flame Rings? Full power Brave Blades?)

Dancers are good! But if you don't have some way to deal with Almagest (Blue mage, mystic knight or white mage) then Ned is kind of a pain (unless you level hard). They're obviously not the strongest Earth job (chemist and samurai are both absurdly good), but they're also not the worst - until you reach Ned and get Almagested. My dancer was still the king of one of my triple crowns a few years ago, because Sword Dance is fantastic.

edit: Almagest does ~1500 damage. The beefiest Dancer, Butt-Dancer, gets that at what, level 40ish?

Exercu fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 21, 2017

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

agradine posted:

I know the conventional wisdom is that Monk is pretty worthless except as an item slinger or as a secondary utility action command user (like !Mix or !Sing), but I guess conventional wisdom never bothered to give them a weapon? Having a Monk that equip whichever Whip or Axe is most appropriate to the situation has been pretty awesome. Highest strength, highest HP, innate counter, medium armor has a ton of great options, and they're a pretty reliable damage machine.

I mean, there are obviously better classes, but Monk has not been the albatross around my neck that I was worried it was going to be.

The issue is that a monk equipping an axe or a whip or whatever gives him a decent !fight command. But very few jobs want to just !fight, even among the physical ones. Each of them would love a force multiplier like !dance, !rapidfire etc etc. If you give Monk a weapon, they don't get to use those force multipliers at the same time.

edit: giving him Equip Swords makes him a Knight who can't two-hand or use shields. Giving him Equip Axes makes him a controllable Berserker who does less damage than a real Berserker, which is nice enough, I guess. But "lower damage than Berserker, and only able to !fight and !Item" is not exactly the benchmark we want to hit. Giving him !Equip Lances makes him a Dragoon who can't jump or use shields.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 26, 2017

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

CruzerZERO posted:

Thanks for that tidbit, next time I'll stick to checking on the site afterwards.

I know with Black Mage I can pretty much turn the whole party into nukers, but is there anything interesting I can do with Spellblade or Mystic Knight in general in a team of Berserker/Mystic Knight/Black Mage/Red Mage?

Mystic Knight is absurdly good at dealing with things with a status weakness he can hit. Do you have any cool things he can do in combination with the other jobs? Nah. Still, you don't have to worry about Almagest on Neo-Exdeath, and Red Mage has pretty low health, so that almost counts as synergy.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

agradine posted:

Monk, Beastmaster, Black Mage and Berserker team has made it to the rift just before NED, hopefully will have time to beat it tonight.

This has... not been an exceptionally great party, overall. There's been a surprising amount of synergy (Beastmaster, Monk and Berserker trading Equip abilities back and forth, and both Berserker and Beastmaster have great weapons they want !Black6 to boost the power of), and Flame Rings take care of healing, but there's not a lot of raw power here. I took the time to grind out the Chicken Knife, but giving him !Focus takes away my secondary healer, unless I gave it the Monk, but then I'd have to take away him Thor's Hammer, and I think that might actually be a decrease in power ultimately (that and you can't target with !Focus). Plus I like having everyone but the Berserker in the back row. I'll report back on NED when I get there. No Triple Crown with this party unfortunately.

Think I might take a break after and run Popular later in the summer.

Why no triple crown? You've got a beastmaster, and that's really all you need. Omega can be !Calmed and releasing a Mammon can be used to berserk Shinryu (and Galajelly can be used to blind Shinryu). You can do it, friendo.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, one thing that's often forgotten about Phoenix is that it revives the target with full HP and full MP, so with more than one Summoner, you can essentially keep your MP going indefinitely. Which I suppose would be more useful if MP conservation was ever a big concern, but hey. :v:

I'm glad to see you enjoyed your first Fiesta run. Hopefully, you'll be able to participate again.

For Omega or in general? For Omega, they're great. In general, they're pretty meh until you get !Rapid Fire.

!animal is a pretty decent source of healing in the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Finally getting to the end of my Ninja/Ranger/Geo/Mystic run. First I'm farming up Dragon Lances to !Throw at Shinryu, then I'm going for Omega. I wonder if I'm better off giving someone a Wall Ring and praying that his first Search goes for that character or just blitzing him with Rapid Fires right off?

EDIT: Dragon Lance plan is proving to be not worth it. I grabbed one after a lot of fights, went to test it out, and it barely did more than a Fuma Shuriken (roughly 3100 to 2700). Guess !Throw doesn't include type multipliers. Drat. Anyway he's doing a good job of beating the tar out of my team (largely due to lack of Hermes Sandals and reliable MT healing, and it doesn't help that 3/4 of my team is level 32 so they're getting screwed by L2 Old every time he goes with that) so I may need to farm out some levels just to have a chance.

For omega, what I would do is have your mystic knight with rapid fire blitz him while everyone else keeps the mystic alive. You should not need more than 3 rapidfires. everyone else should not rapid fire, because you don't want that many counters

• Locked thread