Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Huh, so the Balance mod (and thus the combined Fiesta+Balance mod that I decided to try out) changes the Brave Blade entirely so that it's based on kills rather than escapes now? Well shoot, how am I supposed to prove that I'm the bravest now? I could start over but I'm already most of the way through world 1.

Oh well, SA is a buncha crazy bastards, so that $150 limit will probably be reached regardless without me adding another one on there. Onward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

UberJew posted:

I didn't have chakra so i went the other route and just used about 45 potions

e: gfdi ofc i get berserker on my first fiesta

It's really not so bad, I was dreading it after hearing all the horror stories, but aside from a couple bosses and some annoying moments when I was trying to control an enemy and my zerker kept hitting them or something, I was never that bothered by it. Having more than one would probably be rough, but the Death Sickle trivializes a ton of fights (including a surprising number of bosses) and zerkers deal great damage from start to finish.

It's way, way better than Monk, at least.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
WELP!

I think I can say goodbye to triple crowning this run. Weren't all of these classes ranked pretty low on the popularity poll? So much for popular.

EDIT: Actually, screw that, let's Fair that Zerker out. Having Knight two straight runs I can deal with (especially since I didn't get any at all last year) but Zerk is where I draw the line. I do Risk every year and even Quadzerks last year. I have done more than my fair share of Zerk Time!

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 20, 2017

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Don't listen to Ondore's Mimes

I'm Basch fon Ronsenberg of Lix!

But seriously, that was...something. Quadzerking Sandworm meant grinding to level 43 in world 1 :suicide:

37 loving hours on the clock. :shepicide:

Also some things I thought interesting, the ending letter with Bartz/Faris dead is from Lenna's point of view.

I like that she calls Faris Sarisa.

:smith:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Did You Know?

The 8th floor of Barrier Tower has a hole here!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

You can never escape.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Bufuman posted:

Huh, so the Balance mod (and thus the combined Fiesta+Balance mod that I decided to try out) changes the Brave Blade entirely so that it's based on kills rather than escapes now? Well shoot, how am I supposed to prove that I'm the bravest now? I could start over but I'm already most of the way through world 1.

Oh well, SA is a buncha crazy bastards, so that $150 limit will probably be reached regardless without me adding another one on there. Onward!

Have a minimum-power chicken knife?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

What's the best place to grind a bunch of levels in World 3? I've got Black Mage and three Berserkers and have hit a wall on NED because my one controllable character gets destroyed by Almagest and NED loves to either Dispel the one Shell I get from the Wonder Wand or smack him with something else right before it goes off, so I'd like to just grind until I've got enough raw HP to eat the hit and power through.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm free, the prophecy has been fulfilled.
I feel like shinryu is possible but I'm not sure I want to bash my head against the RNG anymore.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 20, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Shiny777 posted:

What's the best place to grind a bunch of levels in World 3? I've got Black Mage and three Berserkers and have hit a wall on NED because my one controllable character gets destroyed by Almagest and NED loves to either Dispel the one Shell I get from the Wonder Wand or smack him with something else right before it goes off, so I'd like to just grind until I've got enough raw HP to eat the hit and power through.

I usually do the forest in the rift. Good xp there, and there is a healing pot in the village on the previous screen.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
So, is there a way to do all this fiesta business without a twitter account? Or do you absolutely need one still?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Finally got around to starting my own run. Let's do this. :getin:

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Well rolled geomancer for my first job. That's 2 years running with one.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

So, is there a way to do all this fiesta business without a twitter account? Or do you absolutely need one still?

Still has to be done through Twitter. It takes all of 30 seconds to make one, and it's not like you are obligated to use it outside of the fiesta. Only other time I've ever used mine was to message my ISPs support.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Well, I finished Monk/Triple Zerk, or as I call it Diet Quad-zerker.

I made the most of what I had, even used that recently discovered glitch to get the effect of angel rings on everyone while giving them something else as well. Monk wore hermes shoes and the zerks all rocked Kaiser Knuxs and barehanded because gently caress it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ebC8EVe1JQ
a dramatic reenactment

One more Basch for the pile

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know how to feel about this one. I wish harps didn't blow so much. Oh well, at least I got Mighty March to heal with now.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know how to feel about this one. I wish harps didn't blow so much. Oh well, at least I got Mighty March to heal with now.

That's actually an incredibly strong group? Anything with an elemental weakness is dead. Bards are not weak, !hide can be used to cheese a number of bosses, and any boss that gives you any room at all to set up will start getting outpaced by your constantly increasing stats. Just be sure to get all the songs.

Worst case scenario, magic sword works with most knives.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I know I'm OP since I have mystic knight and black mage, I just wasn't sure how to feel about bard as my fire job. When I play vanilla I usually give them the ability to use good weapons, but that's not allowed here.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I know I'm OP since I have mystic knight and black mage, I just wasn't sure how to feel about bard as my fire job. When I play vanilla I usually give them the ability to use good weapons, but that's not allowed here.

!hide and !Sing are very strong. And you can give your black mage and mystic knight bard abilities to make them faster.

In fact, your bard will absolutely trivialize Omega with his stop song. So congrats on your free triple crown.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 20, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Lurdiak posted:

Just slap elven mantle and a main gauche on him and let him be functionally unhittable

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Onto my second run. I went regpopular and got samurai/samurai/dancer/summoner.

I kinda wish regpopular was based on purechaos rather than chaos, but I'll stick it out. I don't really like dupe jobs, but dupe berserkers wasn't so bad and samurai are pretty rad.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

!hide and !Sing are very strong. And you can give your black mage and mystic knight bard abilities to make them faster.

Yeah, !Sing is kind of absurd.

Source:

Turns out that if you've got three summoners barfing Syldras after a full retinue of Magic/Speed/Level songs, NED doesn't even get a single turn.

It also turns out that you can still tell the game to try to run away from a battle as the final boss is dissolving.

EDIT: Also, about the time Black Mage and Mystic Knight start lagging behind is exactly the time that Bard starts excelling, since you can get the speed song right before Barrier Tower. Give your bard !Black and let him be a bootleg nuker until his time has come to sing his heart out.

(Semi-relatedly, between the Apollo Harp and queueing up the Wonder Wand for Berserk, you basically have a free Shinryu kill. Get a reflect ring and have your black mage bounce Thundagas off himself while the other three characters sing Romeo's Ballad to keep Omega stunlocked. Enjoy your triple crown.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 20, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wiped to Mini Dragons while looking for Ramuh. :negative:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Shiny777 posted:

If you're playing on an emulator, slap !berserk on the BM, set up, A and turbo to the same button, then go here:

and hold said button.

Equip Thief Knife on someone as well, and you'll steal a bunch of elixirs.

Also, another Basch victory. Yay! This was somehow a lot more fun than I thought it would be with three zerkers. It only took 44 game hours with A LOT of turbo buttoning. I think I could've won at like lvl 50 but grinded up to 57 because I literally just put a bottle on my keyboard and left as my zerkers fell down stairs and murdered snakes in the pyramid. Returned every 10 minutes or whatever to chug some elixirs.

I also finished the game with 2 million gil, so that was fun.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Excellent, reroll went through and my Berserker has become a Chemist. That's more like it!

Mind you it's going to be a tedious triple crown; !Mix may be broken but it's still a pretty tedious Omega fight with all the buffs you have to keep up.

...Unless I do the thing to bypass Omega's berserk immunity and let the Knight !Guard everyone. And there's conveniently a Mix that drops the target to single-digit HP. This could work! Assuming the Balance mod doesn't fix that little trick, anyway.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Lurdiak posted:

Of your three jobs, bard is probably the strongest late game, enabling bullshit the likes of which only like, chemist can get up to.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

FreeKillB posted:

Omegachat: Beyond stop shenanigans with bard or GBA beastmaster, there are a couple of paths that people haven't mentioned. A couple classes stand out as useful/unbelievably broken:

Black mage: Omega's counters aren't triggered by reflected damage, so the safest way to deal damage to him is via reflected Bolt3's. Note that the net damage is even better if you can manage reflect on the whole party with reflect. Red mages in theory can also do this reflect strat, but it will be less effective with Bolt2 access only. Note you still need to able to sustain his regular AI script, which is no joke.

Time mage: Everyone knows that omega is weak to stop, but his sky-high magic evasion means this isn't viable via the Time magic spell. However, time mage can kill literally everything using a venom rod + the quick spell (probably patched out outside of SFC). Just start a damage over time on the enemy and then activate quick but don't input any other commands. Walk away from the game and your enemy will be dead in however long it takes.

Chemist: Chemist can do literally anything you want. I'll just mention that Kiss of Blessing is only imperfectly patched in GBA, it still pierces berserk resistance. (What the gba fix did was prevent this berserked state from bypassing the trigger to start the NED fight.)

The Black Mage bit isn't quite true. Omega will counter reflected damage. What he won't counter is if not ALL the damage done hits him.

If you target Thundaga on your party with all 4 people reflected, he will get hit with 4 bolts and counter you. If you only have 3 people reflected, however, one of your party members will get hit too, and Omega will NOT counter.

Note that it is on hit, not target. If the poor sap in your party without Reflect has an Aegis Shield and blocks their bolt, Omega WILL counter. You can use diamond equipment to help resist the damage, though.

For most parties on both of these bosses Hermes Sandals are the accessories of choice, even if it means wiping to Atomic Ray immediately several times.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As soon as you unlock Bard you get access to AoE Stop and Confuse. Randoms become trivial. And that's just World 1.

Bards own.

plot.lost
Aug 21, 2007

Koobes posted:

Because I am a goofball who absolutely loves FF12, here's a Bartz naming :toxx: drive for some donations.

Don't listen to Ondores lies! Bartz Basch Lives!

Every completed fiesta with Basch will have me give up $5 to charity.(up to a max of $200)

Basch lives!

He also killed a dragon.
Not going to kill a robot though.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm closing on on completing my first Fiesta run! I'm in World 3 and am not sure what I'll need to do/skip and where the best level grinding spots are for this party.

Knight (Brave Blade / Excalibur) / Mystic (Dual Wield) / Ninja (Assassin Dagger / Thief Knife, !Spellblade for stats?) / Dragoon (Holy Lance, !Spellblade for stats?)

I'm two tablets in and don't think I really need the other tablets considering I'm swords/knives/spears only. Shinryu might be on the table assuming I drop the Excalibur and Holy Lance, but I'm assuming Omega's out?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm closing on on completing my first Fiesta run! I'm in World 3 and am not sure what I'll need to do/skip and where the best level grinding spots are for this party.

Knight (Brave Blade / Excalibur) / Mystic (Dual Wield) / Ninja (Assassin Dagger / Thief Knife, !Spellblade for stats?) / Dragoon (Holy Lance, !Spellblade for stats?)

I'm two tablets in and don't think I really need the other tablets considering I'm swords/knives/spears only. Shinryu might be on the table assuming I drop the Excalibur and Holy Lance, but I'm assuming Omega's out?

Skip the third tablet in the trench, but do the Istory waterfall dungeon even if you have no need of the tablet. You can get an Aegis shield there, as well as an Enhancer the best weapon a Mystic Knight can use naturally (there's a second Enhancer in the Void if you're dual-wielding). Equip Swords would give more useful stats to the Ninja and Dragoon than Spellblade unless you're still using the Ninja's !Throw.

Level grind in the Void, in the Ronkan Ruin area near where you can enter frozen Mirage village for easy access to the heal pot there.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Omega is possible. Knives half evasion, so...

...Brave Blade...ugh

Still, Thundaga spellblade will do a lot of damage. You have about a 50% chance to hit per swing. Really, the hardest part is not having a lot of confuse Immunity.

Use the Ninja as your main attacker, taking advantage of the status immunity bug listed upthread:

Ninja w/ Spellblade
Sasuke's Katana
Assassin Dagger
Black Cowl
Black Garb
Hermes Sandals

Everything else:
Dagger (if they get confused, no damage or break confusion)
Aegis Shields
Whatever, can't equip Lamia Tiara
one Genji Armor on the fastest char, whatever for everyone else
Hermes Sandals

Heck, you could give the Dragoon Spellblade with a Spellblade OK weapon for a guaranteed Jump hit.

Also I haven't explored that dual-wield counter strategy just mentioned.

Levels until you hit the damage cap are really helpful, and bring a bunch of elixirs. Attack AFTER Wave Cannon, THEN elixir up.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Mountaineer posted:

Good advice

derra posted:

More good advice

Thanks! Going to work on that grind later, then. I can back out of the Void and go back to World 3 whenever, right?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Re: Bards, 1 only needed 1 bard to lock down Omega....the other was singing swift song. :v:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Thus concludes my second run of the year, #regpopular #fifthjob. Galuf's job was monk. Good riddance.

Twas a butt for Lurdiak...

And a Brave Blade for Bad Seafood. Too bad I could never use it.

e: oh, and here's a bonus 420

Olive! fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 20, 2017

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

KataraniSword posted:

Mods/cheats, or if they're staunchly against that, some absurd kinda luck with mage mashers on the wizard of rug.

Barring that, the job fair to remove the offending class.

I'm just using the fiesta mod, since mime was my wind job i had 4 mimes until the water crystal.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Level 42. Don't feel any more capable of killing Sandworm than I did at 38, but if I have to get less lucky that's fine too. Switching between Death Sickle runs and Ogre Killer+Main Gauche runs to see which I end up succeeding with.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

2017: My first year with Berserker, my first year Triple Crown

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Liquid Flame is not even close to happening with four zerks at level 21. I'm starting to wonder if there's something subtle here making this worse for the Matrix versions, what with you people saying you're doing it at 19. Not only do I not see this happening, I don't see this happening until I'm doing 50% more damage, which is going to be a lot more levels, not just one or two.

What levels are people going at Byblos with? I might just give up and job fair one of them at this point. This is misery with no fast forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OzFactor posted:

Liquid Flame is not even close to happening with four zerks at level 21. I'm starting to wonder if there's something subtle here making this worse for the Matrix versions, what with you people saying you're doing it at 19. Not only do I not see this happening, I don't see this happening until I'm doing 50% more damage, which is going to be a lot more levels, not just one or two.

What levels are people going at Byblos with? I might just give up and job fair one of them at this point. This is misery with no fast forward.
I've done quadzerker Liquid Flame at 20 and also at 18. It did require resets, but I'm wondering why you don't think you can even come close - maybe the ports changed the transform mechanic to not be fully random? That would mess with "pray for switches between hand and tornado over and over (and pick bad Fira targets)" pretty hard. Blaze hurts.

• Locked thread