Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Those Mobile changes look awful on balance. Good thing they can't take my GBA cart away.

(even if I'm pretty sure it's a fake, because it can't Quicksave)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a Discord client that doesn't suck? I can IRC on Pidgin and it just does text chat without any drat "features". Get off my lawn, etc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fister Roboto posted:

Just in time for Stormblood :sigh:
Ugh, I forgot that Fiesta didn't start on like July 1 so I thought there'd be slightly less overlap.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Charles Bukowski posted:

Your balance mod sounds really fun! I've been advised to a vanilla run for my first though, but I look forward to trying balanced out.
Hopefully you mean vanilla as in unmodded and not vanilla as in "not #regpurechaos" :black101:

(you probably shouldn't, but it's the best)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is the "best" guide in the OP? You know, the freelancer one on GameFAQs that got a CarbyBot command at my urging last year. That guide "rules".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I didn't actually know where to ask, but since it's for Fiesta prep this seems like the right place - is there still a goon that will replace GBASP screens? I have the awesome NES-skinned GBASP... but it's model AGS-001 so it's got the bad backlight and a little bit of dust has crept in besides. If anyone knows a reliable source, you can PM me or just post or whatever. Want to upgrade my Fiesta machine :3:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I bought a kit for next to nothing on Amazon for last year's Fiesta that included a new shell, buttons, screen, battery, and even a little tri-wing screwdriver. It's not a tough job at all--the only really hard part is the guddamn hinges. Those things are a bitch to get set correctly.

Grab ya a set of jeweler's screwdrivers and a new screen and you can have it done in under an hour (minus time spent screaming at the hinges).
Oh, that's actually sweet. Can you point me to one of those?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

Also it's looking like actually tweeting at Gilgabot, etc. won't be a necessary thing this year:

https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/863359878659588096

Pretty exciting!
Is that gonna be finished in time for this year? That rules.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

berenzen posted:

I wonder how bad DD is going to gently caress up horribly this year during The Run. It can't possibly top last year.

I think I heard randomly on elmagus's stream that he's not doing it this year. But I can't provide a citation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Supremezero posted:

The Run or loving it up?
Former, obviously. But I mean, that's how you prevent the latter. And I can't prove that elmagus actually said that because I was only half-listening and he was like, running lttp rando or something when someone in chat asked if he was doing the run again this year and he said something like "yeah, I am, blah blah, I know DD isn't but I think he's the only one who isn't returning".

Unrelated but related to this thread: Bought another GBA cart, this one has working quicksave. Does anyone want a GBA cart with a Freelancers-After-Wing-Raptor save that doesn't have working quicksave? I will absolutely let it go for a song (:10bux:) because fiesta goons :3:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Colorspray posted:

This always looked fun and I never participated before, so I'm in.

However...

I wanted to pay for a legit copy and grabbed the psx version on vita in preparation. Apparently, this was a mistake - but how big of one was it?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Oh my god. No.

Hell, you already paid for a legit copy. Got a GBA? I think the cart I bought off eBay two years ago for the exact same reason as you is secretly a well-made counterfeit (quicksave doesn't work but everything else does) but I can't see a physical difference between it and the new one I've bought (which quicksave works on) and I was gonna get rid of it for a song anyway. Might as well save you from PSX rather than trying to get :10bux: out of it. PM me a mailing address.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Unlucky7 posted:

gently caress it. Went ahead and registered a normal run.

What are the chances the copies of FFVA on Amazon are legit? I mean, I don't have anything to play it on, but I can probably find a game boy micro fairly easily.
On the one hand, basically zero. On the other, the counterfeits are so good you can't tell except that they can't Quicksave.

(If you're actually going to buy a GBA for it, PM me your address, I was going to replace this cart anyway so I'm looking to give it away to a fiesta goon. If not, offer stands to the first other person to PM me asking for it.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Funktastic posted:

Can someone without PMs take you up on that offer?

And I decided to actually berserker risk this year, but I took the easy way out and just do a 750 risk. Still got some time to change my mind though.
Absolutely! Give me an email address and I'll email you and we'll work it out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jyrque posted:

Alright what are some ace names for our protagonist? Here's a list I came up with

* Dilz
* Cheekz
* Ballz
* imagay
* Cloud
* Galuf
* GILGAM

What are some memorable Butz alter egos of yesteryear? I need some ideas obviously :(
Who's got the screenshot of "a goat" making the Gilgamesh dialogue awesome?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

neongrey posted:

because he didn't know what it is :getin:

Anyway it should have IZJwhatever's innovations too so that should help.
Yeah, Yiazmat won't take nearly as long in the remake even if they buff it to account for the characters-get-two-jobs buff that the party gets. Lifting the damage limit from 9999 to 99999 goes a long way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vogon Poetry Slam posted:

This is not only my first time fiesta-ing, but I have never played the game past the second crystal. I figure if I lock myself in and participate this year I'll actually finish the game.

I only did #reg, I'm too scared to try anything else.
Would chaos, I did chaos on my first run. But welcome, brother!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Supremezero posted:

All these people saying chaos are silly, because Pure Chaos is totally way better. Dupes suck.
I personally do Pure Chaos, but hey, you gotta ease 'em in :getin:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Prism posted:

No dupes in Pure Chaos just made it an auto-pick for my fiesta.
Correct. Welcome to the correct team, friend.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

And yes I did get a Death Sickle, I was reading a bit of the last thread and that was one of the pieces of advice I saw the most, so I figured I should probably listen to people way better at this than I am. Took forever for one to drop but it has absolutely been worth it.
Yeah, Death Sickles absolutely rule. There's at least three boss fights without instant death immunity later (if you want spoilers, it's Gilgamesh on the boat, as well as Enkidu if he gets summoned, the four Crystals after the Forest of Moore, and Twintania during his Giga Flare charging phase off the top of my head) so hang onto that drat thing basically forever because you may want to swap it in at some random times.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh, well yeah, that's fair. Omega is literally impossible, and Shin is just a matter of shoving dragon powers down his throat.

But man is using Level 5 Death in ridiculous situations fun as hell.
Can you not level Omega up to 255 if you Dragon Power him enough? And L5 death him that way, I mean. Not that I'd ever thought of trying.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

good joke with the "submit victory pictures" button huh

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Colorspray posted:

I am only slightly concerned because there seem to be missables I might need for specific classes (mix components/bard songs in world 1? not sure).
Is it impossible to go back to previous worlds at some point in the game? Just cautious of janking up the run by missing anything a future job will need.
You'll have all your jobs well before the end of W1. No worries on that score.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Einwand posted:

This is what my life has become on the quad zerker journey. At least I can watch videos at the same time.
Is that the best place to grind in W3? Asking for a :black101: "friend".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KataraniSword posted:

Omega, on the other hand... if you don't have a Bard (Romeo's Ballad), Chemist (!Mix fun), or Beastmaster (!Calm, in GBA only), you're gonna have a bad time. If you don't have a way of dealing piercing damage through innate reflect and 95% evasion, you might as well write it off as actually impossible.
Rapid Fire ignores evasion! There's nothing at all wrong with this plan. No, sir.

Seriously though, my list is Bard, Chemist, Beastmaster, Time Mage (quickleak), Black Mage (reflect 3x Thundaga) and that's it. Are there other relatively easy methods I don't know about?

edit: whoops, left off Mystic Knight (Thundaga, again)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 19, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bregor posted:

(PS. I'm trying for the Brave Blade challenge too, although Meatfort will probably break me.)
What are you going to put on your fourth zerk? I'm thinking Assassin Dagger / Rune Axe / Thor's Hammer, but Chicken Knife is the perfect fourth (well, first, because it's the best, but you know what I mean) weapon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Level 42. Don't feel any more capable of killing Sandworm than I did at 38, but if I have to get less lucky that's fine too. Switching between Death Sickle runs and Ogre Killer+Main Gauche runs to see which I end up succeeding with.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OzFactor posted:

Liquid Flame is not even close to happening with four zerks at level 21. I'm starting to wonder if there's something subtle here making this worse for the Matrix versions, what with you people saying you're doing it at 19. Not only do I not see this happening, I don't see this happening until I'm doing 50% more damage, which is going to be a lot more levels, not just one or two.

What levels are people going at Byblos with? I might just give up and job fair one of them at this point. This is misery with no fast forward.
I've done quadzerker Liquid Flame at 20 and also at 18. It did require resets, but I'm wondering why you don't think you can even come close - maybe the ports changed the transform mechanic to not be fully random? That would mess with "pray for switches between hand and tornado over and over (and pick bad Fira targets)" pretty hard. Blaze hurts.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Level 42 :black101:

Now to steamroll everything up through... uh, probably up through W3 without trying? I guess I do "only" have two Angel Rings.

(I haven't replaced the backlit screen on this GBA yet but man it's so gorgeous.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fhqwhgads posted:

Wait, !Spellblade counts as magic in that fork? :aaaaa:
No, it doesn't, but it sets Silence on him so he can't counter with resetting the battle, then you just beat him up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

blakelmenakle posted:

I believe he is considered back row in the Matrix versions.
:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, that's awful for Berserkers.

UberJew posted:

e: just took a few resets to get lucky with not having drains proc on all my attacks
Byblos is a weird fight like that. Sometimes he doesn't cast Protect for the entire length of the fight and decides he doesn't feel like Draining today either.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DoubleCakes posted:

Is it just me or are there way more berserkers in this Fiesta? It seems like everyone got a Berserker, and if the option allowed it, multiple Berserker? Was the fruits of the Berserkertree abundant this year?
We vaguely mulled this over in the discord a day or two back and the only theory I like is "a higher percentage of #risk players are goons this year so we hear of more outliers".

(like me :shepicide:)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Golden Goat posted:

Do rods scale off the user at all?
I broke rods on one attempt and they did 500 damage.
Yeah, they use the user's Magic stat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kashuno posted:

anything particularly valuable I can steal for thief/ber/ser/ker
Titan's Axe from Twintania while it's charging up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KataraniSword posted:

In other words, anything with a blade, plus the spear.
As a general rule, it's "anything with an edge or a point", right? (Moonring Blade, you stupid corner case)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rirse posted:

By the way, is there any use to the curse ring like the FFVI version, or it just vendor trash? I am tired of it auto equipping anytime I change a skill out.
Vendor trash.

(also, pedantically, the Cursed Ring had no use whatsoever, you're thinking of the Shield that would uncurse after 255 battles)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bregor posted:

Brains vs. luck...

Next time: Getting tablets for no reason.
I'm only 66 on everyone, you think that's good enough for Omniscient? How many procs did it take you to :black101:

e: wait, is it better with 3x Mage Masher rather than 1x Masher and sync up the speed and try to murder with fewer procs?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JerikTelorian posted:

For legendaries I took the Masamune, Assassin's Knife, and the Beastmaster one because why not. Lenna has an Air Knife for boosting Syldra. Bartz has the Bone Mail and an Aegis shield as well, whereas everyone else has the best armor from Phantom village (Lenna has the Gold Hairpin, ofc). I have the three Hermes Sandals recommended by Enkibot. The only World 3 content I finished was getting the Magic Lamp, unlocking Odin, and unlocking Syldra.
Are you just going to pick up the fourth one in the Rift? I would just blow 50k because gently caress it why not.

Leviathan is pretty good but Syldra is more than good enough to get work done and saves you two tablets and Fork Tower.

e: also, you can walk out of the Rift. And Teleport out if you have Time Mage :eng101:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

How does that bug work?
If you end a battle (whether by winning or running away) with gear equipped that gives you status ailment immunities (but not elemental immunities/absorbs), those carry through to the next fight.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Solo Chemist strat? I don't know if that guide is in the OP but it's definitely somewhere lurking in Carbybot or the Discord info posts. I mean, you could do fancier stuff, but solo Chemist works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh, worth noting, someone in chat brought up that you might only want to use five Turtle Soups so that Reflected attacks still did 0 and didn't trigger counters. Whatever, though.

• Locked thread