Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Has someone here or on reddit made a full list of Matrix version differences? I offered to write one up last year but I never got around to it... and I think I might have forgotten some key things too. But I can try if it doesn't already exist.

Either way, looking forward to year three for me! I still have never had a Ranger after 10-ish runs in two years. It always gets echoed a lot in these threads, but for those of you who have never played FFV, don't be afraid to play it this way. I had never played my way through W2 in a bunch of different tries the regular way, I'd always get to the point of unlocking all the jobs and then get paralyzed by indecision and grinding. You will find freedom in the limitations of the Four Job Fiesta, I promise. You will find beauty in the balance. Yes, even in the Matrix versions, this is an incredibly well-balanced game.

And Thief is the best class in the game, let's talk about how great Thieves are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

I'm working on a list here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ff5fjf/comments/6bx2t2/compilation_of_changes_to_the_mobilesteam_version/

I've been editing to include any differences I've missed.

Awesome! Looks great. One thing I'd add but I would need to test to make absolutely sure: although the Double Lance proc thing is beneficial in many cases, I'm pretty sure it also means you can't stop the Chicken Knife run proc if it's in the second hand.

Another thing about weapon procs: they can fire on misses. I honestly don't know if they fire on misses in the original versions, but I think someone once told me they don't. It's another thing that makes Berserkers a lot better in the Matrix versions: those Death Scythe procs happen all the time. Last year I blinded my Berserker when fighting the crystals so he wouldn't hurt them unless he was killing them.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
#regpopular is obviously terrible if Thief is weighted so low, because Thief is the best job. I would like to use #regunpopular please.

...you know, I'm being facetious (although I really do love Thief), but now that I think about it #regunpopular would be a pretty good "hard mode" type game. Someone ask RK how hard it would be to just flip the script.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Registered Pure Chaos with Zerks. Definitely go pure with Berserker Risk so you don't end up like me last year: Red-Zerk-Red-Dancer

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Procedural question: I play on iOS and thus don't have a mod. What do I do if I get a Fire or Earth job at the Wind Crystal and then a Water (or Wind) job at Water? Do I run all four as the Water Crystal job?

Example: I roll Dragoon-Berserker-Dancer-Chemist. Am I Quadzerking through Ronka, or do I consider my first and third jobs to be Freelancer until I get the real jobs?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Twelve by Pies posted:

I could not disagree more. There's a lot of other bizarre changes that basically boil down to "No fun allowed." There's things like hugely nerfing certain attacks like Beastmaster's releases so Yellow Dragon/Zuu can't hit heavy targets, making it so Chemist's mixes can miss, making Shinryu immune to blind/berserk, and even bizarre things like removing Defender's ability to cast Protect when used as an item,

I understand that the Steam/mobile version fixed a lot of bugs, some that are beneficial, but I can see the argument that it wasn't supposed to be like that (things like W2 Exdeath having Regen again, !Calm not working on non-magic beasts, I'll even grant Omniscient being able to cast Return through berserk), but the things I mentioned were not bugs and seem to only have been changed because "You're not playing the game the way we want you to" which is a really lovely move.

And, as has been mentioned, there are some team compositions for which it's actually impossible to beat the game on the Steam/mobile versions simply because of these awful changes.

I'll give credit where it's due. The enemy sprites look fantastic, even if the PC sprites look like rear end, and they legitimately made some cool changes such as Geomancer being able to use any !Gaia skill rather than having many of them locked behind levels that no sane human being would ever reach in a normal playthrough of the game (although this change does make them more useless in many boss battles since a lot of the high level ones have instant death effects which every boss is immune to, whereas lower level ones at least usually do some damage), but overall I feel (and most people here would probably agree) the Steam/mobile version is far worse than any other version of the game. Yeah, loading times of several seconds simply to go into the menu is really annoying but I'd take that any day over the terrible mechanics changes.

I don't think the changes are as big as you make them out to be. Shinryuu can still be blinded and berserked--Omega is significantly harder but Shin is unchanged. Chemist and Beastmaster are the only classes that are really nerfed, and in the case of Chemist it only moves it from God tier to slightly-less-than-God tier. Beastmaster is still an incredibly versatile class. Berserkers are buffed considerably, to the point where they almost don't suck in most (non-Sandworm) situations, as are Geomancers.

Really, what it all comes down to is that the real reason the Matrix versions are objectively worse for the Fiesta is that you can't fast forward. When you're ten runs in and you are watching Galuf walk slowly toward Exdeath for the tenth time--the thirtieth time, really, since you've done this for three years now--that's when you want a goddamn fast forward button. This also, weirdly, disrupts the class tiers: any class with an instant run skill or that is faster than average (like Red Mage, interestingly enough) is bumped up a tier, and grinding for Turtle Shells is just miserable so I barely even bother when I get a Chemist. And the CK / BB debate is basically thrown out entirely, as you're never going to kill everything you see unless you want your runs to average 15+ hours.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

I'm not sure there's any combination in a normal run that would be impossible. Impossible to triple crown, sure--Omega's basically a non-starter without a Bard or a Chemist or a Mystic Ranger. Even a full Quadzerker run is technically possible at max level and with a lot of luck. Although I'm certainly not willing to try it.

edit: again, my first run last year was Red-Zerk-Red-Dancer. That's real bad. But I did it. It was also some of the most fun I've had doing the Fiesta. W2 Exdeath was the most amazing fight I've had in any Final Fantasy game, barely hanging on for the entire fight with dualcasted Raises and praying for Sword Dances.

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 1, 2017

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Not in the Matrix versions! Matrix Omega doesn't get mixed up by wizards electrocuting themselves, or by looking at himself in a mirror, or by that guy in the funny hat stopping time and just staring at him while he rusts. But he still loves that guy with the harp and he still can't quite figure out how to kill that guy who just stands there and does a whole lot of drugs.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

Doesn't help with the cut scenes which are admittedly quite slow (the beginning of the game too...)

I've been using the same save right outside the Wind Shrine for three years now. :v:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Next year I'm just going to put "don't play natural you fools" in the title, I guess.

I am a Natural Apologist but, like, don't do Natural with Berserker Risk. Natural can be a fun and interesting challenge with quite a few party combinations... but Berserker's weaknesses are magnified 10x in a Natural run. And getting more than one? Hoo boy.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Sushi Face posted:

Just tell me my first job drat you all!

Make your way to the Water Crystal and make separate saves... FOR EVERY CLASS

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Ranger - Zerk - Zerk - Zerk

I... gently caress. And this is on iOS so Byblos with all Berserkers. Oh well, that's why we risk!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay so what's the hot Quadzerk Liquid Flame strat? Gain levels and pray to the Crit God? What level have people done it at?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I've had six attempts at Liquid Flame with the Zerks at level 19 and I'm not getting her below 1500 hp. I'm not seeing this happening without some impossible luck--like she switches to tornado right away and the party all misses three full rounds so she runs out of MP and then she only switches back and forth from tornado to hand without ever going human. I think that's one too many coin flips in a row to count on.

Pretty sure they gained an M at 19, anybody know when the next one is?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
FF5: mostly just guys in wolf hats, stabbing dogs in a forest

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Liquid Flame is not even close to happening with four zerks at level 21. I'm starting to wonder if there's something subtle here making this worse for the Matrix versions, what with you people saying you're doing it at 19. Not only do I not see this happening, I don't see this happening until I'm doing 50% more damage, which is going to be a lot more levels, not just one or two.

What levels are people going at Byblos with? I might just give up and job fair one of them at this point. This is misery with no fast forward.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I've done quadzerker Liquid Flame at 20 and also at 18. It did require resets, but I'm wondering why you don't think you can even come close - maybe the ports changed the transform mechanic to not be fully random? That would mess with "pray for switches between hand and tornado over and over (and pick bad Fira targets)" pretty hard. Blaze hurts.

It still feels pretty random. The one time I got her below 1000 was after a long series of Hand / Tornado switches when I had one left standing and she was out of MP. That was one out of thirty tries, though--most of the time I'm not EVEN getting under 2000. Honestly I think it's supposed to be easier which is really confusing (I don't think Blaze can miss in the original versions, unless I'm misreading the Algorithms FAQ, and it can miss here).

I keep thinking there's some math here that I'm not working out. If the only way she can hurt me is 1) a 33% chance of Blaze in Human form, 2) Blaze counter in Human form, and 3) Fira counter in Hand form, I'd really like to be able to stagger the four attacks a little better. As it is normally, all four berserkers attack back to back, and if after the first four she's not in Hand, I'm dead: either she heals back half the damage before the next round of attacks, or I get Blazed.

Maybe I should strip Faris (and maybe Lenna too?) to make her faster so she gets to that second round a little bit faster.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Sage Grimm posted:

No, but spellblades always hit if they're vulnerable to it. And if Rug Wizard can't cast, he can't Return (for non-iOS versions).

Just to clarify, Silence does work on him in the Matrix versions. It just wears off really fast. MKs apply it with every strike, though, so they work fine. What you can't do is Silence him and then Berserk him. The Berserk will work (and he will proceed to go off on you), but he will cast Return through it. One of these days I'm going to get Monk and White Mage and see if I can counter him to death.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

blakelmenakle posted:

I believe he is considered back row in the Matrix versions.

Well that would explain the big differences in physical damage between forms. I do twice as much to Hand as to the others, but I thought it was just because Hand has 0 defense--I thought the gimmick was "hit the Hand and use magic on the other two." Looking at the FAQ, all three forms have 0 defense and Hand just has more m-def. But if Human and Tornado are in the back row...

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, that's awful for Berserkers.

Yeah. I went ahead and cheated. Lenna took off her wolf hat. I'd rather get stuck on Byblos where I can try to fight Chimeras in the desert to gain levels.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Well, you know who's good at getting anything they want in Karnak is a pack of overlevelled kids in wolf hats.

edit: come to think of it... why do the soldiers attack you in Karnak? The castle's going to blow up, so let's... try to kill these friendly citizens? I guess anything goes when the captain of the guard is some sort of famed serial killer.

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 20, 2017

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Aaaaaand I beat Byblos without gaining another level. I'm pretty happy about my LF decision.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Do Bows use the regular damage formula? Would giving a Ranger Equip Axe increase damage output?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Ah, the wonderful feeling of heading back to the save point in the Barrier tower with your four reflect rings and getting another one to drop.

Next is the giant vacuum ghost with my Ranger and her three mindless, angry friends. I'm going to try them with all Killer Bows and see if we can race him. Here's something I never thought of before: does he take longer to suck up people in the back row?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
It's a 31% chance to hit (80% - [Level 28 - Level 77]%) after a 33% proc, I think. So a little better than 1 out of 10 hits should kill. 224 is a pretty drat long streak of 90%.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay FFVFriends, help me with some Matrix version Omniscient theorycrafting. My party is Ranger and three Berserkers, so I'd really like to get to Istory. My Fork Tower plan is as follows:

-Two Zerks fight Minotaur, they do a lot of damage and have shields and capes for blocking, they should be okay with some lucky hits

-One Zerk goes with Ranger Faris. Zerk has Equip Bows, uses the Magic Bow and a Reflect Ring and then the heaviest armor I have (Bone Mail and something else, I guess). Faris has a fully-powered Chicken Knife, Hermes Sandals, Twist Headband, and Power Sash to max Strength. She's set up to Rapid Fire.

-I let the Zerk attack and hope for a Silence proc, then immediately Rapid Fire twice. I think she'll get two off before the Silence ends--I did this last year with Krile as a Zeninaging Thief and she was fast enough at a lower level. Then, I think Faris will be able to get a third Rapid Fire in before the Zerk attacks again, and that should kill him. I'm doing 1500 per hit to 0 def targets, which I think he is, so that's 1500 x 4 x 3.

Yes? No?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Just read that the Mage Masher has the same proc rate of Silence as the Magic Bow, so I'll use that instead since not having Equip Bows will make him slower and I should definitely get three attacks off.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, I'm only doing 750 per hit so I guess he doesn't have 0 def? I don't know how this can happen if I can't at least get him below 4000. Is his script totally random until then?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

I don't suppose the Air Knife would be any better? I know RugWizard has a weakness to Wind but it might not be enough to make up for the Chicken Knife's ridiculous attack power.

Tried that, only does 250. I can't believe he's in the loving back row. This is some bullshit.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I tried for a while to go at him with just the Ranger, waiting for him to bounce Silences and Stops onto himself. I don't think I was making any headway, even with the occasional Bio to fight the Regen. He just doesn't cast either of those three spells often enough. gently caress it, I guess.

So then, weapons for the Berserkers for NED? I am sort of thinking the Ranger is never going to get to attack, being on item duty. CK and Rune Axe, I guess, but what about the third? Yoichi Bow, Hayate Bow, Thor's Hammer, Gaia Hammer? You'd think I wouldn't have so many options, but I actually do.

HOLD UP WAIT A SECOND how much damage can I expect to do to the Rugfucker if I blast through the lamp? Holding an Air Knife for Syldra boost?

edit: that motherfucker

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm trying to work out whether it would be better to save the lamp for the end, since my Berserkers will go in order: Physical, then Almagest, then Grand Cross. I know I'm going to need to be able to take up to three Almagests, but I really don't know if I should be counting on surviving more than a small handful of Grand Crosses. There's just too many statuses that can take the Ranger out.

If I lamp the back piece right off, I narrow the Rapid Fire targets, but I'm just not sure how often she'll be attacking. I guess I'd be okay for a few rounds, but I'd have to switch to full-on healing mode when Almagest is coming. And God help me if the Grand Cross piece is the last one left. The Hayate Bow will probably help, but that means no shield.

If I save the lamp, I can end the rage timer, but only if she's still alive at that point, and that's going to be quite a few lucky Grand Crosses.

Either way, it's grinding time! Again.

edit: Do status effect chances work like weapon procs? They don't cast spells so they don't have to contend with m-evade, right? How hard is it to blind the physical piece with a Dark Bow?

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 22, 2017

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Nasgate posted:

I will report back if the quick leak works on mobile :downsgun:

It does not. To be specific, stopping in the middle of a Quick does prevent any actions from taking place, but the timer on Sap is not infinite and will run out eventually. I'm not really sure what they "fixed," i.e. if the original versions' sap has a time limit and they fixed it to run out during a Quick, or if they fixed it by giving it a time limit. But either way, no Quickleaking.

edit: what agradine said

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

OzFactor posted:

HOLD UP WAIT A SECOND how much damage can I expect to do to the Rugfucker if I blast through the lamp? Holding an Air Knife for Syldra boost?

Trip report: it's only about another 3000 damage total. I think the only way this could theoretically happen is if I wait for him to Silence himself, RF-CK him twice (I learned I can get two off if I have him targeted when the Silence sticks), unload the lamp on him, then he gets himself with Bio pretty soon after that, then he gets himself with Silence or Stop relatively soon after that. Then he might be down below 4000. But, like, that's a whole lot of ifs and thens. Maybe I'll come back and try a few times after I gain the many, many levels I need for NED anyway.

I'll keep you all updated, I'm sure you're riveted.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Khisanth Magus posted:

Just grind on the rift in the area before the village. Only real threat there is an occasional roulette, and you are seconds away from a healing pot.

And even more importantly, the Level Trickers will drop Elixirs, and you're gonna need, like, all of them.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

derra posted:

What's your team?

And I have a question, I have Mystic / Red / Dancer / Red and I've managed to get to the crystals.

At levels 15-17.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't have a way to cheese this and am going to have to get some levels (Exdeath shouldn't be too bad with the Staves of Light I have, but I don't see a way around this one). Is there a recommended grinding spot in W2, especially if you have bad damage output? Thanks.

Start everybody in the back row, Protect up, then one at a time, slowly wear a crystal down to just above the nuking threshold. Then move everybody up to the front and wait for a Sword Dance (you might need to heal the crystals back over the threshold if the Dancer keeps Jitterbugging), then when it finally hits, go to town on it. You might want to have the two Reds dancing, since they really won't do much damage with regular attacks and depending on the math it might be better just to hope for another Sword Dance.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

I win.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm getting stuck on the top of Fork Tower with my party, not sure how to split them up and what to do to get past the Minotaur. My party is Bard/Mystic/White/Red. I sent my Bard and Red to the physical tower thinking I can just Mystic Silence blade rugwizard to death. Should I send all the other three over to physical then? They're all lv 38-39 so I don't think I'm underleveled, but the Minotaur is beating them down pretty quickly and I can't keep up with Hi Potions.

Yeah, the MK can solo Omni without breaking a sweat so send everybody else to Minotaur. Give them all Sing, Main Gauches, and Elf Mantles, put them in the back row, and set two of them to Swift Song. Let the third heal, maybe with Hermes Sandals so he can keep up. He's not real fast and the real problem is counters, so you can keep up if you don't hit him. Once you're max speed, Strength Song to max, then switch to the CK and hit him with it (with the other two healing after counters) until he dies.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Oh, sorry, I could have sworn it was allowed. Oh well, congratulations!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

I know the conventional wisdom is that Monk is pretty worthless except as an item slinger or as a secondary utility action command user (like !Mix or !Sing), but I guess conventional wisdom never bothered to give them a weapon? Having a Monk that equip whichever Whip or Axe is most appropriate to the situation has been pretty awesome. Highest strength, highest HP, innate counter, medium armor has a ton of great options, and they're a pretty reliable damage machine.

I mean, there are obviously better classes, but Monk has not been the albatross around my neck that I was worried it was going to be.

Like the other "bad" classes, Monks are only really bad when you get more than one of them. People say being an item slinger is a bad thing, but, honestly, you need one a lot of the time, and Monks are one of the best classes to do it because they have a billion hit points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Poulpe posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble with neo exdeath, my team is dancer, knight, dragoon, time mage.
Is there anything obvious I should be doing?
Quick and meteo are always nice but I've got my dancer using Excalibur for those sweet 9999 procs.
Everyone is wearing flame rings for fire sword healing too.
I just can't seem to keep up when he kills several of my dudes!

Are you making sure to kill the last two pieces at the same time? When one is left alive, it goes nuts on you, and no matter what your party is there's no way to keep up. So either kill the last two at the same time or leave the back part alive until the end and kill it with the Magic Lamp. Mega64's Boss Guide does a better job explaining than me.

• Locked thread