Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I've been using the standard VBA emulator for three years now and never had a problem with the sound patch. What's the exact issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Even in the fixed GBA version, Blind doesn't matter much, because almost no character has an incentive to attack normally and special moves tend to always hit.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Note that the Sketch glitch only appears in the original version of the game. Most SNES copies contain version 1.1, which fixed it. Which is good, because that glitch can literally make your cartridge unuseable.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Well, Strago has to observe an attack to learn it, and he obviously can't do that if he's blind. :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Look Sharp! posted:

I tweeted and donated (first time!) for a reroll. How are donations confirmed and associated with my twitter profile? I linked my job fair tweet in my donation just in case.

RK manually goes through Job Fair tweets, so the new class might take a while to show up. I don't believe you get an actual Twitter notification either. Just keep periodically checking your player page.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Byblos's wind slash is nasty with my team but I have blue access. Is Magic Hammer useful for anything later that would make it worth braving the RNG instead of nuking him down?

You could use it to prevent Gilgamesh on the Big Bridge from buffing up, but that's more clever than useful.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

[*]Mind Blast: This might be useful if you got it before the last dungeon.

But you do. :confused:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The cool thing about Mind Blast (well, aside from the sound effect) is that its Paralyze effect is guaranteed to work as long as the enemy is vulnerable to it. Not having to deal with Magic Evasion allows you to easily stunlock the Grand Cross part of Neo Exdeath.

I also don't think the second tablet dungeon is that uncommon a place to visit for Fiesta teams. Lots of parties can use some of its equipment. Or a fourth legendary weapon. Or access to Fork Tower.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just hit the Fire crystal and Gilgabot has given me Knight/Mystic Knight/Ninja/? so far. What's better for a Mystic Knight? Two Handing or Dual Wielding? Also, is this setup decent so far? Kind of worried about not having mages yet (Normal Run).

You're probably not going to get Dual-Wield until World 3, so Two-Handed will be your default option for most of the game. Late-game, dual-wielding is generally slightly better because it lets you bypass the damage cap. Though there are some fights where you'll probably rather have a shield and Equip Swords instead.

And don't worry about your setup. Those three are among the strongest physical classes in the game.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bufuman posted:

The thing that really pisses me off is that I was going to take the full-power Brave Blade for :toxx:, but if I do that I don't know if I'll have the offense needed to take down Shinryu; Apollo Harp is beastly against him, but without Chicken Dance support it probably won't get the job done quickly enough.

If nothing else works, there's always the Reflect + Zombie strategy. A bit tedious, but guaranteed.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

And rounding it out at the Earth Crystal is Dragoon. So somehow I've gotten a purely physical setup in Knight/Mystic/Ninja/Dragoon.

Well, congrats on your second !Spellsword user, I suppose.

FreezingInferno posted:

I want you all to know that this is utterly obscene in how simple it's been so far. I just did all the Dragon Grass stuff, for a progress report.

I have barely used Chemist stuff yet but I've got it all on hand for when I need it. Bad things will happen.

I believe I had the exact same team last year. The fun really starts once you get Apollo's Harp.

Cavelcade posted:

It's been too long since I've played this game, is Berserker actually bad, or is it just bad to have all Berserkers all the time?

Both, kinda. They're slow (and bugged, so their first turn comes much later than anybody else's), they tend to mess up strategies revolving around Sleep, Confuse, !Control, or anything like that, they often hit for half-damage if there are targets in the back-row, they can't focus down a particular enemy, their weapons are inaccurate and do random damage, they can't switch rows or equipment in battle, and they just plain don't benefit from all active abilities which don't confer stats.

All that being said, they are very durable and can actually do respectable damage under the right conditions (especially with a useful passive). Moreover, unlike the other commonly-cited "worst" classes (Red Mage, Monk, Geomancer), their damage doesn't get continually worse as you progress through the game. Having one definitely isn't the worst thing in the world.

Edit: I should point out that the iOS release adressed some of these issues, making the class considerably stronger overall.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 19, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Alxprit posted:

Blessed with Chemist! How many Turtle Shells should I try to get before going to W2?

Depending on your other team members, the answer lies somewhere between "zero" and "a lot".

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

wizard on a water slide posted:

Here's a fun thought question: if you could pick a class never to roll again - just you get one permanent exception for your Fiesta account, and after you pick it, it'll never show up in any mode - what would you choose?

Probably White Mage honestly. Partly because it trivialises the entire game (and not in a fun way like Blue Mage or Beastmaster) and partly because the trip to the Water Crystal is just so slow.

Koobes posted:

Because I am a goofball who absolutely loves FF12, here's a Bartz naming :toxx: drive for some donations.

Don't listen to Ondores lies! Bartz Basch Lives!

Every completed fiesta with Basch will have me give up $5 to charity.(up to a max of $200)

Black Mage / Berserker / Ninja / Chemist - Definitely one of the strongest team you can get on Berserker Risk.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

DoubleCakes posted:

Is it just me or are there way more berserkers in this Fiesta? It seems like everyone got a Berserker, and if the option allowed it, multiple Berserker? Was the fruits of the Berserkertree abundant this year?

Everyone getting at least one Berserker has been the case for a few years now, but there do seem to be more triple or even quadruple Zerk parties this time around. Could be that fewer players are running Chaos this year since it's no longer a new option, so the same amount of Berserkers is split among fewer teams.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Speaking of !Mix, I rather like this chart, which displays all possible combinations in a succinct manner.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Ninja wins until you get the Aga spells, as I recall. After that I think it's Scrolls for AoE and Magic for single target?

Pretty much, yeah. Scrolls also give you access to Water-elemental damage, which comes in handy every now and again.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

A small riddle for the mathematically-inclined people in this thread. Assume Berserker Galuf being level 28 and using a Death Sickle against the forest guardians. What's the probability of the Death spell not triggering in 224 hits?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I've come to the conclusion that I do not like the Fifth Job command.

derra posted:

I'm not sure how/where FF5 rounds, but I have about an 8.2% chance to kill a guardian on hit, and a .000000494 percent chance after your 224 hits.

These are hits and not swings right?

Don't forget the crystals evade spells 20% of the time on top of the hit chance.

This looks about right. Which is why I assume it happening to me was a result of the game somehow bugging out.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Magic Bow just baffles me. I initially thought its lack of attack power was a bug, but given that none of the re-releases bothered to fix it, I suppose it has to be intentional.

Rirse posted:

By the way, is there any use to the curse ring like the FFVI version, or it just vendor trash? I am tired of it auto equipping anytime I change a skill out.

It'd be a pretty sweet accessory if you didn't get Hermes Sandals ten minutes after you find it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The paradox of !Dualcast is that all classes which can use it are already very powerful without it, so there's never really a reason to grind it out. Just slap !White or !Sing on the Red Mage, and call it a day.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, screw it. :toxx: Everyone who clears the game with the name "a butt" will trigger a 2 dollar donation from me, up to a maximum of 70 bucks(it'd be more but the exchange rate is murder).

Dragoon / Knight / Berserker / Monk (replacing Ranger as fifth job)

Definitely the most tedious Brave Blade run I've ever had. It's not even eligible for Bad Seafood's Brave Blade challenge since I accidentally ran away from an encounter early on, leaving the weapon perennially at 149 attack power.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 23, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mega64 posted:

I also have no reliable healing since I can't even stock up on regular-rear end Potions easily.

Finally a chance for Sylph to shine.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oh, right. Godspeed then. :patriot:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

derra posted:

And I have a question, I have Mystic / Red / Dancer / Red and I've managed to get to the crystals.

At levels 15-17.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't have a way to cheese this and am going to have to get some levels (Exdeath shouldn't be too bad with the Staves of Light I have, but I don't see a way around this one). Is there a recommended grinding spot in W2, especially if you have bad damage output? Thanks.

Can a Mystic Knight with Shell survive Aeroga at that level? If so, it might be doable using the Flame Shield for healing.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

What the hell, I'll make a pledge too. The general consensus is that the most overpowered jobs are Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist, so let's see what y'all can do without them. I'll throw in $10 for every goon who triple crowns with none of those jobs.

Black Mage / Red Mage / Summoner / Dancer

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

Dancer suffers pretty heavily from lack of access to the Chicken Knife, but the other classes were thankfully strong enough to compensate.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Beef Hardcheese posted:

First time doing the Fiesta. I've got Monk, Summoner, Ranger, and Dragoon. (Will have Dragoon I'm about to hit the flying fortress). Any tips? I'm stocking up on elemental rods and making sure I get Ramuh, other than that I don't know what I should be doing...

!Summon is going to be your main offensive tool until you learn !Rapid Fire. If you've never played the game before, it's not a bad idea to look up where you can find all summons because some of them are somewhat hidden and pretty much all are useful (well, I've never found a good use for Bahamut, but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fair point. Although even then I'd probably rather use Leviathan most of the time since it's so much cheaper and can hit elemental weaknesses.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Does doublehand not work with Goblin Punch? I assumed it would since it changes the sheet damage, but unless I missed some variable in the damage it's not.

Goblin Punch uses a similar damage formula to a normal attack but does not count as a normal attack itself, so Two-Handed has no effect. Dual-Wield works, though.

Bruceski posted:

Also, the killer bow is weird. No proc effect, the target just dies. I wouldn't even have noticed it was happening if I hadn't one-shot a reflect knight with 250 damage. It even works on non-heavy undead.

Yeah, the Killer Bow is like Odin in that it doesn't actually care about the target's death immunity, only whether or not it's Heavy. AFAIK, it also doesn't use the normal spell hit determination formula, so it's always a straight 8% to kill on a hit.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kashuno posted:

What's the average level to finish this game? I feel like I'm heavily overleveled right now (by necessity) but I was just curious because I've never done a non-fjf run

My very first playthrough of this game ended somewhere around 40-45. Mind you, that's with doing just about every optional task and rarely running from random encounters.

Most of my Fiesta runs end up somewhere in the early to mid 30s, with Neo-Exdeath usually being the deciding factor. A lot of teams don't care too much about levels in the endgame because of all the powerful gear and abilities you accumulate, but some party compositions have no choice but to grind enough HP for tanking Almagest.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

derra posted:

This so hard. Listen to this wise man. A Red Mage with an Ancient Sword and a Power Staff is amazing. If they had Blind access they would be one of the best classes.

Yeah, in a Fiesta run, versatility counts for a lot, which is why I'd rate Red Mages above the other commonly-considered "worst classes" (both for their plethora of options and for synergising well with almost every other job). Monk, Geomancer, Berserker, and Dragoon are all one-trick ponies, and half of them aren't even good at the one trick they do.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

berenzen posted:

So what would you consider the slowest possible Chaos 750 team? Because I got TIM/WHM/RED/TIM>GEO, and holy poo poo I'm dreading trying to slog through world 2 and 3 with this team. Yeah, it's a triple crown, but at the cost of my sanity.

It's not so bad. Level up in the few places where Geomancer or White Mage shine offensively (Ronka Ruins, Drakenvale, Great Sea Trench) and just run away from everything else. Boss fights will take a while until you get Holy, but a surprising number of World 2 bosses aren't Heavy and it's not like you're in any danger of ever dying.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 28, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

With this party, is there anything else I should do before making a run at the rift?

If this is your first time beating FFV, you might as well explore the other tablet dungeons and Phoenix Tower for novelty's sake, especially since your team has no trouble killing them (I think there's like one enemy in all three dungeons combined that doesn't die instantly to Odin).

Whether or not you'll flee from everything in the final dungeon is up to you. You certainly don't need the extra levels, but Syldra/Odin/Leviathan clear house in there anyway.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Probably easier to just catch a Crystelle at that point. Unless you've sold the Dancing Dagger.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

With Phoenix I was able to rez the party (with max MP!) and seal the deal with some Boosted Syldras. A fun ending for sure. Thanks for the help all!

Yeah, one thing that's often forgotten about Phoenix is that it revives the target with full HP and full MP, so with more than one Summoner, you can essentially keep your MP going indefinitely. Which I suppose would be more useful if MP conservation was ever a big concern, but hey. :v:

I'm glad to see you enjoyed your first Fiesta run. Hopefully, you'll be able to participate again.

derra posted:

Just curios, why does everyone say Ranger sucks? Rapidfire always hits and ignores defense. The only reason it's not the default best option is because it specifically triggers two sets of counters.

For Omega or in general? For Omega, they're great. In general, they're pretty meh until you get !Rapid Fire.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, instant access to Berserk without any MP cost or having to continually cycle through the Wonder Wand is pretty nice. A surprising number of enemies in this game can be shut down with the spell, especially since it never misses.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

If this was a gif, it would be perfect.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

That's undeniably great, but it does lose something when you can't see the individual parts.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

OzFactor posted:

So my next party is Thief - Knight - Geomancer - Dragoon. That's... pretty bad! I feel like this might be one of the very rare occasions where I actually need the Brave Blade. Talk me out of it!

I usually never talk people out of Brave Blade runs, but this team won't have many issues with bosses in World 3, while several random encounters will be really annoying for them, so you might want to reconsider.

Nasgate posted:

There are more good swords available than daggers, you have two ways around chicken knife flee, you have an easy shinryu for an alternative sword, and iirc CK gets the Lance !jump bonus in one of the versions.

I don't recall the Chicken Knife getting the bonus damage with !Jump. The Twin Lance's double attack works correctly on the iOS version though, so a Thief with !Jump is a genuinely good idea for World 2 and arguably most of World 3 as well.

Also, I wouldn't consider Shinryu easy with this team.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Slow doesn't have a duration, but good luck getting it through Omega's insane level and magic evasion. Thankfully, you don't really need to, because a Chemist can make herself immune to all attacks except Wave Cannon, which is never fatal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Don't be at less than 50% health then. :v:

• Locked thread