Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

jyrque posted:

Alright what are some ace names for our protagonist? Here's a list I came up with

* Dilz
* Cheekz
* Ballz
* imagay
* Cloud
* Galuf
* GILGAM

What are some memorable Butz alter egos of yesteryear? I need some ideas obviously :(

EvrHte?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

White Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon sounds like a really boring team to play, honestly. Not hard (you've got White Mage after all), just uninteresting because of the lack of synergies.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Samuel Clemens posted:

White Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon sounds like a really boring team to play, honestly. Not hard (you've got White Mage after all), just uninteresting because of the lack of synergies.

Seems like it basically devolves to "Give WHM and Dragoon Capture so you get 3 captures, give Berserker a different weapon/ White to abuse Rune Axe, and give Beastmaster White Magic for more holy's"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's "some people want to see a Beastmaster redemption tour, we want fork tower to not take eleven epochs, and we want berserker". :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Everh8

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wasn't Dr Tot also in memory of Mega64's at the time abandoned FFIX LP? Obviously this year's name pledge should be Mario. Alternatively Frnkly since he and Tot are basically the same character.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Lack of synergies?

White Mage gets...
...Equip Axes from Berserker for actual pre-Holy offense.
...Ditto for Equip Whips from Beastmaster, plus !Catch never goes out of style.
...!Lance for infinite MP from Dragoon

Berserker gets...
...!White from White Mage for amped Rune Axe/Gaia Hammer power
...Equip Whips from Beastmaster for speed and accurate back row power pre-Gaia Hammer
...Equip Lances from Dragoon if you're going Shinryuu hunting, although I'll admit the Whip's a better option in every way.

Beastmaster gets...
...!White from White Mage for boosting the spellcasting whips (plus, you know, it's White Magic, it's always good).
...Berserk from Beastmaster to boost lackluster attack power through randoms, or Equip Axes because you got multiple Death Sickles and they're good for most of the game.
...Okay, so there's nothing really from Dragoon that's too exciting.

Dragoon gets...
...!White is always good, but that's not really a synergy.
...Equip Axes for three more points of Strength!
...Equip Whips because the imagery of doing a jump attack with a whip is funny?

Okay so Dragoon's mostly a nonstarter with synergy but that's the class's biggest con anyway so whatever. There's a lot of stuff working together and it sounds like a fun team to run with. Powerful enough to have an easy time with everything*, but not so strong you don't have to think.

*Omega would be "fun". Technically doable, I think, but I wouldn't recommend it. Unless, of course, you're on the GBA version. In which case, enjoy your Omega Medal.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I had Monk/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon back in 2013, and it was eminently unfun. I can't imagine replacing the MNK with a WHM would really improve things much other than dying less.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's a team where the job with the most synergy is freaking Berserker, the job that literally has one useful ability to pass on.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Trasson posted:

*Omega would be "fun". Technically doable, I think, but I wouldn't recommend it. Unless, of course, you're on the GBA version. In which case, enjoy your Omega Medal.

:shrug: Beastmaster gives Calm, so your problem with Omega essentially boils down to "taking for god drat ever". Since you need like 3 Calmers, that means your Berserker is on attack duty, and I think your only valid offense option is Equip Lances with Trident? Unless you enjoy missing over and over.

Not that swapping out Dragoon for Samurai or Dancer would help any with Omega. So this one at least isn't on Dragoon, it's more on Berserker forcibly taking your attack slot.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 3, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Supremezero posted:

:shrug: Beastmaster gives Calm, so your problem with Omega essentially boils down to "taking for god drat ever". Since you need like 3 Calmers, that means your Berserker is on attack duty, and I think your only valid offense option is Equip Lances with Trident? Unless you enjoy missing over and over.

Not that swapping out Dragoon for Samurai or Dancer would help any with Omega. So this one at least isn't on Dragoon, it's more on Berserker forcibly taking your attack slot.

Rune Axe with !White would punch through just fine. Base 47 attack with an M of 32 (Fariszerker with !White 6 at level 40) means average damage of 1504 a swing, vs a Trident at base 76 attack with an M of 17 (Fariszerker at level 40) for average damage of 1292 a swing. Even if you put a 10% malus on the Rune Axe due to misses, that's still 1353.6 an attack, better than the Trident.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hmm, last year I successfully finished 3 zerkers and a dragoon (and I didn't even sign up for berserker risk, Chaos just hated me) so I think anything I get dealt is gonna be easier.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bruceski posted:

Hmm, last year I successfully finished 3 zerkers and a dragoon (and I didn't even sign up for berserker risk, Chaos just hated me) so I think anything I get dealt is gonna be easier.

3 Zerkers and Geo? Thief? Monk?

The dreaded 4 Zerkers?

FIVE ZERKERS?!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Supremezero posted:

The dreaded 4 Zerkers?

FIVE ZERKERS?!

thay found what it was, to go further zerkyound

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
5 Zerkers is pretty much the ultimate hell. "Oh, I got 4 zerkers, but I got a fifth job, so at least I have something else instead of the 4th, even if only for Neo!"

*gets another zerker, probably keels over in horror*

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Supremezero posted:

:shrug: Beastmaster gives Calm, so your problem with Omega essentially boils down to "taking for god drat ever".

Unless you happen to be on one of the multitude of platforms where this doesn't apply,. At which point I fall back on my initial description of "fun".

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 3, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jyrque posted:

Alright what are some ace names for our protagonist? Here's a list I came up with

* Dilz
* Cheekz
* Ballz
* imagay
* Cloud
* Galuf
* GILGAM

What are some memorable Butz alter egos of yesteryear? I need some ideas obviously :(
Who's got the screenshot of "a goat" making the Gilgamesh dialogue awesome?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Supremezero posted:

3 Zerkers and Geo? Thief? Monk?

The dreaded 4 Zerkers?

FIVE ZERKERS?!

32 Berserkers!

I am a nerd and like FF ATB. I also regret this did not happen while fighting Gilgamesh.

Also, I am so in this year!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Leofish posted:

32 Berserkers!

I am a nerd and like FF ATB. I also regret this did not happen while fighting Gilgamesh.

Also, I am so in this year!

Okay to be fair 32 Berserkers would probably just murder anything before they even act.

Monsters would see 32 Berserkers coming and just run the gently caress the other way.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So which option has a better chance at crazy team shenanigans? Chaos risk or pure chaos risk?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So which option has a better chance at crazy team shenanigans? Chaos risk or pure chaos risk?

Well, the difference basically comes down to "Things other than Berserker can be duplicates" vs not, so Pure Chaos.

Dwall
Jun 14, 2016

Supremezero posted:

Okay to be fair 32 Berserkers would probably just murder anything before they even act.

Monsters would see 32 Berserkers coming and just run the gently caress the other way.

Sandworm would still be a roadblock. All of them would choose to attack the holes. 32 Demi counters in a row...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Well, the difference basically comes down to "Things other than Berserker can be duplicates" vs not, so Pure Chaos.

I thought it was "Chaos can pick from any of the jobs for each crystal even if they're not unlocked yet or duplicates" and "Pure Chaos is Chaos with Freelancer and Mime in the selection"

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Bruceski posted:

I thought it was "Chaos can pick from any of the jobs for each crystal even if they're not unlocked yet or duplicates" and "Pure Chaos is Chaos with Freelancer and Mime in the selection"

pure chaos also has a no dupes rule.

Which makes it less chaotic but whatev.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Pure Chaos is Chaos with no dupes and mime/freelancer tossed in the mix for fun.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Huzzah! posted:

pure chaos also has a no dupes rule.

Which makes it less chaotic but whatev.

it only doesnt make sense if you take the 'pure' to mean absolute chaos and not 'pure' as in untainted (by dupes) chaos

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MotU posted:

it only doesnt make sense if you take the 'pure' to mean absolute chaos

Unless you play the Extra Spicy variant of the randomizer Worms just put out. Oops, Faris is a thiefgoon with Equip Ribbons.

Also, I have realized that Monk's utility goes completely the opposite direction once you replace !Kick with a command that isn't hot garbage.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dupe chaos last year nearly broke me, so I suppose I'm okay with the misunderstanding and registering for Pure.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Tossed in my seven and a half 'zerkers.

Let's hope I don't wind up with more than three this time. :v:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pure chaos. Should be fun.

KataraniSword posted:

Also, I have realized that Monk's utility goes completely the opposite direction once you replace !Kick with a command that isn't hot garbage.

Honestly, if the default command were !Focus, it'd be a great class.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Make !Focus the default skill for Monks and recycle the !Kick slot so Red Mages can learn !Red Lv4 (and therefore also become useful for more than just Dualcast), kills two birds with one stone. Just needs some thinking for the other bad jobs. :v:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Last year was the first time I've cleared FFV, but I still felt lost and had to use a guide a fair bit. I'm hoping to just play through without, and maybe take a shot at Omega and Shinryu as well. Still playing it safe and not going chaos for now though. Last time gave me Blue Mage, Bard, and Dancer with my Berserker, so I know I won't be having as much of an easy time this time around. I'm quite excited to join again.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Can Of Worms posted:

Just drag a Final Fantasy V Advance (US only!) ROM onto the randomizer and get two randomized ROMs in return! You can even use patched ROMs, as long as they don't change job skills. That's right, you can randomize Fiesta Patch and Sound Patch if that's what your heart desires! The program will also spit out two text files that summarize the changes in each ROM.
About the Fiesta patch, it also randomized the extra classes with an interesting result

The Gladiator was my second Time Mage and surprisingly both the Necromancer and Oracle were intact at least for Bartz. I know that those classes are never going to be used in a Fiesta but I still found it funny.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/871210208915202053

:getin:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Because I am a goofball who absolutely loves FF12, here's a Bartz naming :toxx: drive for some donations.

Don't listen to Ondores lies! Bartz Basch Lives!

Every completed fiesta with Basch will have me give up $5 to charity.(up to a max of $200)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I ain't playing FF12, but I did pre-register. Now we play the waiting game...

Txn posted:

About the Fiesta patch, it also randomized the extra classes with an interesting result

The Gladiator was my second Time Mage and surprisingly both the Necromancer and Oracle were intact at least for Bartz. I know that those classes are never going to be used in a Fiesta but I still found it funny.

Hey, if someone added those classes to the pool with some kind of patch next year, it wouldn't be any crazier than some of the stuff we have now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

If we get 20K I will buy a good game and stream having fun doesn't really sell in Peoria I guess.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Koobes posted:

Because I am a goofball who absolutely loves FF12, here's a Bartz naming :toxx: drive for some donations.

Every completed fiesta with Basch will have me give up $5 to charity.(up to a max of $200)

I am in for this! FF12 wasn't my favorite, but I still put about 50+ hours into it.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
i liked ff12 balthier

at leas the ps2 collectors edition ff12 case is super neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Koobes posted:

And third post'd.

• Locked thread