Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't actually know where to ask, but since it's for Fiesta prep this seems like the right place - is there still a goon that will replace GBASP screens? I have the awesome NES-skinned GBASP... but it's model AGS-001 so it's got the bad backlight and a little bit of dust has crept in besides. If anyone knows a reliable source, you can PM me or just post or whatever. Want to upgrade my Fiesta machine :3:

I bought a kit for next to nothing on Amazon for last year's Fiesta that included a new shell, buttons, screen, battery, and even a little tri-wing screwdriver. It's not a tough job at all--the only really hard part is the guddamn hinges. Those things are a bitch to get set correctly.

Grab ya a set of jeweler's screwdrivers and a new screen and you can have it done in under an hour (minus time spent screaming at the hinges).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, that's actually sweet. Can you point me to one of those?

This will point you toward some options. I didn't see any with actual screens when I looked, though--just the screen lenses. I imagine that stuff is getting harder and harder to find.

If you've got the extra scratch, you could buy a beat up GBASP on eBay and do a full case swap with one of those kits and end up with a brand-new-looking handheld without having to risk damaging your original NES-themed one. That's essentially what I did--found one for a song on craigslist because its case and screen lens were scratched to hell and just swapped everything out.

If you do go for it, be careful and patient with the work, and maybe keep some baggies or other small containers around to keep track of the screws/little parts/etc. Some of the screws you'll be taking out are tiny. If you end up stuck or needing advice while you're mid-teardown/rebuild, shoot me a PM with a photo of where you're at and I'll try to help.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Trasson posted:

A Game Boy Micro.

Busted both of ours out and bought them new batteries. Now Mrs. Fai and I get to fight over who gets to use the Game Boy Player/projector setup and who gets a handheld :laugh:

Trasson posted:

If not this, then at least finish your fiesta runs in a day so you can comply with the law and delete the ROMs after 24 hours like all of the rest of us do.

There is no "24 hour law." It's a made-up thing, like when someone insists that you can use up to X seconds of copyrighted music without having to get permission/pay for it. There's no getting around the fact that when you boot up a ROM, you're violating the law.

Now whether anyone gives a poo poo or not is a different story. I'm certainly not going to judge someone who plays a FFV ROM for charity.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mountaineer posted:

Welp, guess I'd better do this year's fiesta on the one legitimate copy of FFV I own - the PSX version.

Okay not really. I'd do it for a donation incentive or something, but otherwise I gotta have my emulator fast forward button.

Yeah, I don't think anybody is going to mind. Streamers and youtubers blatantly use ROMs all the time and nobody calls them out on it. I don't give a crap how you play as long as you have fun :toot:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
750 ZERKER RISK

Gonna start this one with a bang (compared to my last fiestas)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Can Of Worms posted:

Hello, Fiesta veterans. Do you find your Fiesta runs lacking? Are you getting tired of seeing awful Geomancers and boring Dragoons in your Fiesta party? Do you wish you could have something more... exciting? Try spicing up your next Fiesta with a new...

:siren: Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer:siren:

Just drag a Final Fantasy V Advance (US only!) ROM onto the randomizer and get two randomized ROMs in return! You can even use patched ROMs, as long as they don't change job skills. That's right, you can randomize Fiesta Patch and Sound Patch if that's what your heart desires! The program will also spit out two text files that summarize the changes in each ROM.

The first ROM you'll get is the Mild edition, which randomizes what the default skill of a job is, and the skill tree (i.e. what skills you get when you level it up.) The second ROM is the Extra Spicy edition, which does the same thing as the Mild edition...

:siren::siren::siren:...except it's different for every character!!!:siren::siren::siren:

That's right, in the Extra Spicy ROM, a Bartz Monk will have a different skill loadout than a Faris Monk. For example:
code:
Bartz Monk
    Default: !Revive
    Skill 0: 15 !Black 1
    Skill 1: 40 !White 3
    Skill 2: 80 Equip Armour
    Skill 3: 200 Dual Wield
    Skill 4: 280 Equip Ribbon
Faris Monk
    Default: !Drink
    Skill 0: 30 !White 2
    Skill 1: 65 !Lance
    Skill 2: 90 !Spellblade 4
    Skill 3: 200 !Flee
    Skill 4: 440 !Mug
Note: This is still under development as there are a few bugs with the Extra Spicy edition, but it should be mostly functional. I am aware that some parts of the menu doesn't correctly reflect AP costs at the moment. If you find any bugs, or there are specific features you want, let me know!

This is so cool. Thank you :dance:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Shadow225 posted:

Just prepare yourself for an onslaught of very dumb questions.

It's not unusual for someone to have questions the first time they play a game. It took me a while to get the hang of certain mechanics, and y'all here and in the IRC were extremely helpful.

So don't sweat it, newcomers. We'll help you along the way we ourselves were helped along when we started. Like a famous grocer said: If U need 2 ask, ask!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
White Mage, Berzerker, Bard, Dancer

Yeah, great, a "BREAK RODS!!!" run where nobody can break a rod :smith:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
So, I've reached Ifrit and I'm stonewalled. With nothing but White Mages and 'zerkers, it's going to take quite a bit of time to level up enough to make this, as well as the other upcoming fights possible until I get my hands on jobs #3 and #4. I don't have all the time in the world these days, so I've got a question:

I know that technically we're supposed to use the job fair before using a random job we're assigned, but I'd like to make this easier, if only so that I get at least one run done this year. How do you guys and gals feel about me donating to swap White Mage out for something else? I know it's bending the rules a bit, but it's a 750 run and as it is now I can't even equip a rod, let alone break one :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mega64 posted:

I don't think anyone would complain if you did that. It's for charity and all.

But before you do, it might help to know that Ifrit is vulnerable to both Silence and Confuse. Silence stops Fira (but not Blaze) but wears off after a bit, and though the Zerkers will break Confuse it's nice for slowing Ifrit down a bit. Protect is useful for Ifrit's physicals too.

Of course, Byblos isn't vulnerable to those and will probably be harder...

Gave it a couple more shots, then called it. I appreciate the advice, but Blaze just whoops me. He uses the drat thing a lot. I went ahead and donated ten bucks to dig myself out of this rut so I can move on, but I figured since I was breaking the rules and all, I should up my donation from the base job fair rate at the very least.

• Locked thread