Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

It's beginning to sound more and more like this whole "this is the good DC movie" thing is just a lie perpetuated by Wonder Woman fans.

Yeah, I was a tad excited but I'm definitely skipping this now. The cheesing of World War 1 has definitely put me off of it. I mean, loving Mordor is basically a 1:1 recreation of Verdun. Darn Carlin of Hardcore History has an amazing 20 hour podcast epic detailing what a nightmarish end of the world event that conflict was, and they seem to totally just not care.

Seconding the notion that Blackadder was a television comedy that paid greater respect to that manmade hell than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Lurdiak posted:

It's beginning to sound more and more like this whole "this is the good DC movie" thing is just a lie perpetuated by Wonder Woman fans.

I think it's a mixture of people desperately wanting DC to succeed and having a first critically and commercially successful female superhero film (directed by a woman), so the message to the producers and audiences is "more of this" and "this is actually good, please go see this", when in actuality it seems to be a mostly mediocre superhero film (I guess that is the best we can hope for nowadays) that isn't taking much advantage of either the female aspect or the WWI setting. I was looking forward to it quite a bit, and I will see it once I have the time, but I am not expecting anything out of the ordinary.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm excited about this movie still, I am positive it's going to be great because you guys tend to have lovely opinions about movies.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Movie's only getting good reactions because of a conspiracy. Hmm hmm, it checks out. Only reason ever why a movie gets good hype.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh...it's finally happening. We're directly equating grimness with quality here now. Like, flat out not even bothering to hide it anymore.

Also lol if the fans like a movie then it must secretly be bad. Again, not even bothering with the pretense anymore; popular movies are bad, only movies that no one likes are good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nah, it's taking a setting and doing nothing with it. Don't have your film take place in the setting if you're not going to address the elephant in the room, especially if it's during a war. Captain America did this poorly as well (except the Captain selling propaganda aspect of it, which was fantastic). It's like having a movie set in America during the Vietnam War and not bother addressing the massive social movements going on at the time. So why bother setting it during it?

Real. Wars. Are. Not. Set. Dressing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Conveying the grimness of the conflict is, in fact, a measure of quality for art and fiction of the First World War.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BrianWilly posted:

Oh...it's finally happening. We're directly equating grimness with quality here now. Like, flat out not even bothering to hide it anymore.

Also lol if the fans like a movie then it must secretly be bad. Again, not even bothering with the pretense anymore; popular movies are bad, only movies that no one likes are good.

I think it's more that the setting is WWI and our introduction to Wonder Woman was her talking about how her experiences in WWI caused her to turn her back on the world of man, then, apparently, 20 people die and that's just too much.

Obviously I haven't seen it, and I am still hopeful and planning on checking it out opening weekend. But WWI was just such an unbelievable clusterfuck that rarely has movies about it, and it seems, from what people who have seen it are saying, that they wasted the setting. Could it be a good movie despite that? Sure, and that's likely going to be my opinion since I've more or less liked what DC has put out so far.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like yeah there's little point going back and forth on a movie that neither of us have seen but we have people calling this a "mediocre superhero film" at best and...anti-feminist, to boot?...specifically because the body count isn't high enough sooo really what should I be coming away with, here? That it's more likely folks here wouldn't nearly be as dejected if Diana was confirmed murdering soldiers left and right, or that 99% of this forum has suddenly become WWI purists/aficionados overnight and are seriously bemoaning that this fantasy action story about a magical warrior princess didn't go full-tilt Remarque?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone who's seen the movie: how much bondage is there?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

As someone whose seen it the problem isn't that Wonder Woman didn't kill enough dudes or that it wasn't "grim enough" . The problem is that it seems completely uninterested in engaging with the setting except for there being a scene in No Man's Land, and mustard gas being a thing. The first 5 minutes of the movie is Diana narrating and setting up why someone like her would lose faith in humanity and then by the end it seems like it completely forgot it even asked that question in the first place.

And setting aside the movie suffers from the fight scenes varying in quality, and an ending that goes on for way too long and is incredibly corny. I went into this movie really wanting to like it and was really hype about all the promotional material but it just didn't do it for me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ghosthotel posted:

As someone whose seen it the problem isn't that Wonder Woman didn't kill enough dudes or that it wasn't "grim enough" . The problem is that it seems completely uninterested in engaging with the setting except for there being a scene in No Man's Land, and mustard gas being a thing. The first 5 minutes of the movie is Diana narrating and setting up why someone like her would lose faith in humanity and then by the end it seems like it completely forgot it even asked that question in the first place.

And setting aside the movie suffers from the fight scenes varying in quality, and an ending that goes on for way too long and is incredibly corny. I went into this movie really wanting to like it and was really hype about all the promotional material but it just didn't do it for me.

Just out of curiosity, since you said you liked MoS and BvS, did ideas of what could have caused Wonder Woman to walk away from humanity stew in your imagination after watching the previous film and this one just failed to meet that expectation or was it the film just failed on that point overall?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Anyone who's seen the movie: how much bondage is there?

She only uses the lasso twice.

And only one of those instances is even remotely horny.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Just out of curiosity, since you said you liked MoS and BvS, did ideas of what could have caused Wonder Woman to walk away from humanity stew in your imagination after watching the previous film and this one just failed to meet that expectation or was it the film just failed on that point overall?

Overall.

Diana's whole reason for leaving the island is that shes told stories as a child that Ares is responsible for corruption in Man's heart. Once she hears about the war from Steve Trevor she puts the pieces together and goes off on her quest to murder Ares. I think I mentioned it before but the movie occasionally flirts with the idea that men are capable of cruelty without Ares. The problem is that when she finally kills Ares shes proven 100% right and the war literally ends and people who were fighting each other literally seconds before just take their gas masks off and they all have this big confused look of relief on their face like they didn't know why they were shooting each other in the first place. Movie starts with a narration about her leaving the world of man and ends with....a speech about the power of love in men's hearts???

I didn't really have any crazy expectations coming off BvS about what could have made her leave. Knowing that she made that decision during or after WWI was interesting enough to me and I was excited to see where the movie would take it except it really didn't seem like it cared about taking it anywhere.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Even if this movie doesn't outright suck, you know Justice League will. DC continues to be a dumpster fire.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I will look forward to red boxing this movie. DC bad guys are kinda all lame, and the spoilers of who the bad guy is in this sounds dumb.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

RedSpider posted:

Even if this movie doesn't outright suck, you know Justice League will. DC continues to be a dumpster fire.

Sound logic.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I was going to watch this movie but now that I have heard it's historically inaccurate I don't think I can!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She only uses the lasso twice.

And only one of those instances is even remotely horny.

Skipping it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BrianWilly posted:

Also lol if the fans like a movie then it must secretly be bad.

There's this video game series called Sonic the Hedgehog. You may have heard of it. For 10 years, after Sonic went 3D, I had to hear about how the latest Sonic was "the good one". They got it right this time, guys! And then I'd play it, and it's still be really lovely. Because the people saying it was good just wanted it to be good because they like Sonic as a character and franchise, and his individual games' actual quality was completely secondary to their loyalty to Sonic.

People insisted Batman v Superman "got it right" for a while, until it became clear it was just as stupid and terrible as Man of Steel. Because they wanted the DCEU to be good. Now we've got this Wonder Woman movie that's got a ton of positive buzz, but everything we've been shown so far is dull and lovely and blue. I'm desperately looking for a sign that this movie has anything fun or exciting in it, and all I've got to go on is vague buzz that sounds awfully like people who just either desperately want a DC movie to be popular or are just so happy to finally have a movie starring a female superhero that isn't played by Halle Berry.

The only reason I'm even posting in here is because I thought, hey, this one might be good, critics don't seem to utterly despise it like they did BvS and Suicide Squad. I'd like it if DC stopped making bad movies, I enjoy good movies, and it's a bonus if the good movies are adapted from material I like, like some of DC's comics. But if there's good stuff in this movie, it hasn't been in any of the trailers or leaked footage or promotional material.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Batman v Superman did get it right, not as right as Man of Steel, but it's quite good. Wonder Woman may be pretty good, but whatever happens, it will be Zack Snyder's fault for any wrongs whatsoever.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A bunch of people who didn't like MoS or BvS don't like Wonder Woman either? :aaa:

This also reminds me of when MoS came out and early reviewers were like "Superman ABORTS BABIES" and poo poo. This place is hardly immune to hype, or anti-hype. I'll see for myself, thanks.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lurdiak posted:

I enjoy good movies.

I'm not certain the evidence supports this assertion

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Now we've got this Wonder Woman movie that's got a ton of positive buzz, but everything we've been shown so far is dull and lovely and blue. I'm desperately looking for a sign that this movie has anything fun or exciting in it
...Eh, if you've been watching the same clips from that I've been watching then I suppose nothing is going to change this weird wrong impression, but the trailers and clips I've been watching have a lot of personality and humor, which has been confirmed by people who've seen the film. Whether you like that personality and humor is subjective, but the fact that they exist in this film is not.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Tonight is the premiere here in Mexico and is pretty cool to see all thepictures of the cast interacting with their mexican fans

https://twitter.com/WBPictures_Mx/status/868633900154793984

https://twitter.com/reformagente/status/868633517399433216

https://twitter.com/WBPictures_Mx/status/868635654296678402

https://twitter.com/Depelicula40/status/868635426537472002

https://twitter.com/WBPictures_Mx/status/868642168000458752

https://twitter.com/WBPicturesLatam/status/868642111092137985

https://twitter.com/WBPictures_Mx/status/868642714803425280

https://twitter.com/WBPictures_Mx/status/868643466737332224

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Too bad Chris shaved the beard he was sporting in the promos for the movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To be fair Zack Snyder is directing Justice League.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Frankly I'm disappointed that Raiders of the Lost Ark glossed over the whole Holocaust thing

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Semper Fudge posted:

Frankly I'm disappointed that Raiders of the Lost Ark glossed over the whole Holocaust thing

I see what you did there, but that is set before WW2.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Semper Fudge posted:

Yes, that famous scene when Indy goes to Auschwitz to steal an ancient artifact.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
FLASHBACK
*shopping, dropping carton of eggs while walking to car; yolk spatters everywhere*

"...and from this great tragedy I left the world of Man 100 years ago"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Drifter posted:

FLASHBACK
*shopping, dropping carton of eggs while walking to car; yolk spatters everywhere*

"...and from this great tragedy I left the world of Man 100 years ago"

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse meee, Princess! I guess our egg packaging technology isn't as advanced as the Amazonian's!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Semper Fudge posted:

I Get what you're saying and an adventure movie set in ww1 that doesn't touch on industrialized death is fine. Everyone likes Lawrence of Arabia. But theres a reason Gallipoli doesn't have the same tone. The disconnect is both doing that lighter adventure AND setting scenes in the trenches. Raiders (besides not being set during ww2 at all) doesn't have a subplot about Indy going to Stalingrad

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DeimosRising posted:

I Get what you're saying and an adventure movie set in ww1 that doesn't touch on industrialized death is fine. Everyone likes Lawrence of Arabia. But theres a reason Gallipoli doesn't have the same tone. The disconnect is both doing that lighter adventure AND setting scenes in the trenches. Raiders (besides not being set during ww2 at all) doesn't have a subplot about Indy going to Stalingrad

Last Crusade did have Indy meeting Hitler though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Have you seen Lawrence of Arabia? A central part of that movie deals with the main character essentially being reduced to a murderous wreck by his experiences (amd what he thinks is his true nature - the comment about enjoying killing a man).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Randarkman posted:

Have you seen Lawrence of Arabia? A central part of that movie deals with the main character essentially being reduced to a murderous wreck by his experiences (amd what he thinks is his true nature - the comment about enjoying killing a man).

Yeah it's not the best example but it doesn't touch on the industrial nature of the European war at all. Compare how the battles are shot in Lawrence to the misty dreamscapes of the Eastern Front in Dr. Zhivago. But a better example would be The African Queen or Secret Agent, maybe. Not that they're light hearted but they do rousing adventure and just avoid the mechanized hell-scape of the front entirely.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah it's not the best example but it doesn't touch on the industrial nature of the European war at all. Compare how the battles are shot in Lawrence to the misty dreamscapes of the Eastern Front in Dr. Zhivago. But a better example would be The African Queen or Secret Agent, maybe. Not that they're light hearted but they do rousing adventure and just avoid the mechanized hell-scape of the front entirely.

Well, touching on the European war wasn't the goal of that movie at all.

I don't really agree with the sentiment that you have to have a movie set during WW1 be dour and miserable, I would say it depends on what the goal of the movie is and if the movie works then it's usually okay. I mean take Kelly's Heroes that's a light hearted heist movie set in the Normandy during WWII, and that movie's tone works really well despite the Norman campaign being one of the more brutal ones of the war (casualty rates were higher than many eastern front campaigns for instance, and the allies suffered a very high rate of 'psychiatric casualties' as they called it back then).

That said I have no real interest in seeing in this movie and just checked in out of curiosity (is it out? is it bad?) and saw someone mentioning Lawrence of Arabia.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
How much of the poo poo wonder woman theme music from bvs is featured in this?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Randarkman posted:

Well, touching on the European war wasn't the goal of that movie at all.

Yeah that's what I mean. It would be weird if it then had a handful of sanitized trench scenes. I do think it's pretty tasteless to have a war movie that's neither satirical nor serious, so you have to be pretty great so "tasteless" becomes a compliment. But that doesn't seem like what's going on with this movie anyway, which I haven't seen and now I'm way into the rabbit hole of speculative discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

There's this video game series called Sonic the Hedgehog. You may have heard of it. For 10 years, after Sonic went 3D, I had to hear about how the latest Sonic was "the good one". They got it right this time, guys! And then I'd play it, and it's still be really lovely. Because the people saying it was good just wanted it to be good because they like Sonic as a character and franchise, and his individual games' actual quality was completely secondary to their loyalty to Sonic.

People insisted Batman v Superman "got it right" for a while, until it became clear it was just as stupid and terrible as Man of Steel. Because they wanted the DCEU to be good. Now we've got this Wonder Woman movie that's got a ton of positive buzz, but everything we've been shown so far is dull and lovely and blue. I'm desperately looking for a sign that this movie has anything fun or exciting in it, and all I've got to go on is vague buzz that sounds awfully like people who just either desperately want a DC movie to be popular or are just so happy to finally have a movie starring a female superhero that isn't played by Halle Berry.

The only reason I'm even posting in here is because I thought, hey, this one might be good, critics don't seem to utterly despise it like they did BvS and Suicide Squad. I'd like it if DC stopped making bad movies, I enjoy good movies, and it's a bonus if the good movies are adapted from material I like, like some of DC's comics. But if there's good stuff in this movie, it hasn't been in any of the trailers or leaked footage or promotional material.

Tell us more about that 10 year ordeal of being forced to hear from Sonic The Hedgehog You May Have Heard Of It fans.

• Locked thread