Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Toady posted:

Tell us more about that 10 year ordeal of being forced to hear from Sonic The Hedgehog You May Have Heard Of It fans.

lol

allow me to draw a parallel between this upcoming Wonder Woman movie and Sonic the Hedgehog fandom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Toady posted:

Tell us more about that 10 year ordeal of being forced to hear from Sonic The Hedgehog You May Have Heard Of It fans.

Anyone who says MoS was stupid and terrible doesn't deserved to be responded to. :colbert:
We should all stop talking to Lurdiak.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yaws posted:

lol

allow me to draw a parallel between this upcoming Wonder Woman movie and Sonic the Hedgehog fandom

Truth be told, I rather read about these weird comparisons because they can at least be funny with the effort put into them than having sociopaths saying DC's cinematic universe was saved because Zack Snyder's daughter committed suicide. Those people can go gently caress right off.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Drifter posted:

Anyone who says MoS was stupid and terrible doesn't deserved to be responded to. :colbert:

not liking the new wonder woman theme is a much worse crime, tbh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Drifter posted:

You must lead a very lonely life if this is the code you live by.

Jimbot posted:

Truth be told, I rather read about these weird comparisons because they can at least be funny with the effort put into them than having sociopaths saying DC's cinematic universe was saved because Zack Snyder's daughter committed suicide. Those people can go gently caress right off.

For the record I would never say anything that gross.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Who is actually saying this lmao?

Zack Snyder is a bad director and every DC movie to date has been poo poo from my rear end but I've yet to see anyone psycho enough to be happy that Snyder has to take time off because his daughter committed suicide.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

fadam posted:

Zack Snyder is a bad director and every DC movie to date has been poo poo from my rear end but I've yet to see anyone psycho enough to be happy that Snyder has to take time off because his daughter committed suicide.

Stay away from reddit and twitter you sweet innocent child

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

fadam posted:

Thats just one example but I've seen it pop up across facebook/twitter.

I haven't checked reddit but its reddit so I don't need too lmao

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fadam posted:

This is an actual gainfully employed comic book artist.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dang, that's lovely. I stand corrected.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So we have to wait for the movie after Justice League to see if the DC movies are bad?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

There is no "we", pal

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

So we have to wait for the movie after Justice League to see if the DC movies are bad?

The movie's basically done. This isn't an Eyes Wide Shut situation, it'll probably be 99% Snyder and 1% Whedon in the final product.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lurdiak posted:

The movie's basically done. This isn't an Eyes Wide Shut situation, it'll probably be 99% Snyder and 1% Whedon in the final product.

I'm looking forward to a continuation of DC's reverse Ant Man syndrome as people praise all the good things that Joss Whedon has done with Justice League.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Can't wait for this movie to suck just as much as literally every single D.C. Movie released since man of steel but goons will go to great lengths to defend it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can't wait for this movie to suck just as much as literally every single D.C. Movie released since man of steel but goons will go to great lengths to defend it.

Man, this post is just sad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Joss Whedon was hated after Age of Ultron, so I am surprised at the praise he is getting for stepping in as the editor for Justice League.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Joss Whedon was hated after Age of Ultron, so I am surprised at the praise he is getting for stepping in as the editor for Justice League.

Nerds have extreme short memory

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Its a new name lets get behind it!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I said come in! posted:

The internet consensus is that MCU=Good and DCCU=Bad, so when the "face" of the DCCU is replaced with the former "face" of the MCU, then good things must be happening. Also the hate for the Age of Ultron was fairly localized as far as internet thing go, unlike MoS and BvS.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why did people hate MoS?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Why did people hate MoS?

It's long as hell, script is bad, takes itself way too seriously, superman kills the guy at the end. The acting is also subpar to bad.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tenzarin posted:

Why did people hate MoS?

The popular internet consensus is Not My Superman. Which isn't to say there aren't valid reasons not to like it, but the popular consensus for why it's bad is pretty dumb.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tenzarin posted:

Why did people hate MoS?

Because it's disruptive instead of comforting, mostly. People basically want paternal reassurement from Superman, so things like the destruction of Metropolis and killing Zod are terrible blasphemies.

It's basically the first leftist superhero movie, which freaks out people to no end.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Costner thoughtful dialog scenes in MOS and BvS are truly amazing. They also highlight the largest issues people who dislike the movie have, theme-wise. Then they revert to their reptilian-brain protect mode and lash out at any change - going so far as to even make up changes to hate. It's just too much for them to even explore.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Why did people hate MoS?

People watched a movie about a dude totally devoting himself to the act of saving and protecting people, even at the expense of ever getting to see his home again, and decided that was for some reason grimdark and edgy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Superman killed Zod in Man of Steel with the appropriate emotional impact that the regretfully necessary act of justified homicide in the defense of others should have on a morally centered person and was called a monster. People asked why he couldn't be more like the happy and reassuring 70s version, who threw his harmless captives into antiseptic pits never to be seen again with the triumphant cheer of the underdog getting his revenge at the end of a teen comedy?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

Superman killed Zod in Man of Steel with the appropriate emotional impact that the regretfully necessary act of justified homicide in the defense of others should have on a morally centered person and was called a monster. People asked why he couldn't be more like the happy and reassuring 70s version, who threw his harmless captives into antiseptic pits never to be seen again with the triumphant cheer of the underdog getting his revenge at the end of a teen comedy?

People were expecting escapism (which was an entirely valid expectation given how the character was depicted over the previous 75 years) and MoS steadfastly refused to supply it, and in fact rubbed it in the audience's faces how terrifying and brutal and traumatic it would be if super villains and super heroes actually existed.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Personally I think killing Zod was fine but the overall script was bad and the acting was bad and even the best action scenes just felt like video game cutscenes. The movie was not good for a whole bunch reasons other than "NOT MY SUPERMAN" bullshit.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Having said that it was still a lot better than BvS. Holy crap that movie sucked! I have no doubt Wonder Woman will beat that dreck at the very least.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Doflamingo posted:

Personally I think killing Zod was fine but the overall script was bad and the acting was bad and even the best action scenes just felt like video game cutscenes. The movie was not good for a whole bunch reasons other than "NOT MY SUPERMAN" bullshit.

Doflamingo posted:

Having said that it was still a lot better than BvS. Holy crap that movie sucked! I have no doubt Wonder Woman will beat that dreck at the very least.

Yeah but you're wrong about this stuff too.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Someday someone will explain what 'looking like a video game' means, and why it's bad.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Someday someone will explain what 'looking like a video game' means, and why it's bad.

It usually means an action scene with no tension and poorly used CGI.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

In MOS a big deal is made of how Kryptonians are birthed into a role that they are genetically designed for. General Zod can't not be a General because that's how he's designed. But Kal-el (superman) wasn't genetically engineered, so there is no set role for him. He can be whatever he wants but the movie continues to force him into situations where he's put into a box. First with his father's death and then in killing Zod.

It's a very anti-heroic way of handling the character. Throughout the history of fiction we've been used to heroes get put into a "How are they going to get out of this?" situation. It sets up the cheer when the hero breaks out of the situation they are boxed into. MOS didn't do that. Superman is boxed into a situation. Zod wants him to kill and Superman never escapes that story box. There's no clever escape, just a dull leaded thud at the end of the movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bar Crow posted:

It usually means an action scene with no tension and poorly used CGI.

I would be fine with this except the fight against the Chitauri in Avengers 1 has this written all over it and notarized. Hell, most super hero flicks can be argued to have this to a large extent -- we know the hero is going to win with minimal personal loss and CG is used for 99% of special effects (including the movement of anyone in a full body suit) these days. It's just for some reason there's some movies that get a big pass and others that get poo poo on extra to balance things out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Darth Brooks posted:

In MOS a big deal is made of how Kryptonians are birthed into a role that they are genetically designed for. General Zod can't not be a General because that's how he's designed. But Kal-el (superman) wasn't genetically engineered, so there is no set role for him. He can be whatever he wants but the movie continues to force him into situations where he's put into a box. First with his father's death and then in killing Zod.

It's a very anti-heroic way of handling the character. Throughout the history of fiction we've been used to heroes get put into a "How are they going to get out of this?" situation. It sets up the cheer when the hero breaks out of the situation they are boxed into. MOS didn't do that. Superman is boxed into a situation. Zod wants him to kill and Superman never escapes that story box. There's no clever escape, just a dull leaded thud at the end of the movie.

There's no clever way of defeating a demi-god that's better than you are in every single way. So he decided to sacrifice something about himself instead of sacrificing those people to stay pure and innocent. The whole movie is about Clark figuring out how to lead his life, either by one father's ideology or another. He was boxed in the entire movie. By Batman v Superman, he decided to live his life his own way, by just being another guy doing what he thinks is right. Not someone who blends in nor someone to act as a guiding line for humanity (though his selfless example did elevate him into an ideal to strive towards at the end).

He's just an overall decent person trying to do some good while making mistakes along the way. Classical heroism. The heroic myth about him is what is built up during and after his exploits.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The point is to unpack people's impressions and not argue more movies into the box. If the audience is still engaged at some level then they don't feel this way. I've never seen any of the Avengers movies though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bar Crow posted:

The point is to unpack people's impressions and not argue more movies into the box. If the audience is still engaged at some level then they don't feel this way. I've never seen any of the Avengers movies though.

Yeah that's fair, bringing up another movie doesn't really invalidate the point. I just feel like it is a bit of a hollow insult based on the current super hero movie standard. I am struggling to think of an action sequence/fight that doesn't have those explicit problems, "bad CG" being super relative

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Avengers gets away with its mostly weak action climax by building up the characters and making the audience like the way they play off each other. Then amidst the ugly chaos they throw in a couple more character beats that are expressed via the action, which are the parts you remember when you leave the theater, not so much the hundreds of generic bug-men getting hit in the face. It lampshades its bad CG action with strong characters, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Does Wonder Woman have post credit ending scenes?

• Locked thread