Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drifter posted:

Wonder Woman's take on WWI
Humanity: "What have we done?!?!"
Humanity: "Oh thank goodness, it was all a dream."
Humanity on WW2: "FINALLY we can do war our way!"

"Thank you Wonder Woman for setting humanity free." - Adolf Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Drifter posted:

It'll be like the ending of Star Wars where Vader throws the Emperor down that well, except it'll be Superman kicking Darkseid off of his sofa.

I was looking for possible reviews but I think I just came for this post.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

RBA Starblade posted:

"Thank you Wonder Woman for setting humanity free." - Adolf Hitler

maybe in this universe Ludendorff blames Germany's defeat on its lack of superhuman soldiers, which is why he joins the Nazis in the 1920s, in hopes of creating the Aryan superman

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It would be funny for Diana to get pissed at how terrible mankind is based on WWI and take a twenty year sabbatical, just to come back in time for WWII.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

30min until reviews start pouring in. Brace yourselves!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
In the meantime, Patty Jenkins comments on the "why Diana walked out from humanity" thing. Linked just to be sure about spoilers.

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-movie-dceu-changes-explained/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

18 fresh, 1 rotten so far at 96% https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonder_woman_2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Isn't rotten tomatoes owned by WB?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

And of course people are using this to claim Snyder is the problem, despite you know, working on the script and being a producer.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And of course people are using this to claim Snyder is the problem, despite you know, working on the script and being a producer.

Did you read the reddit thread too?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

Did you read the reddit thread too?

No, I was looking at /co/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't know why anybody would care about what 4chan thinks about anything.

Really happy to see the positive buzz continue. I was worried it would be like BvS where the early comments were all positive, and then the reviews came out and were overwhelmingly negative.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Yes. RT works as a review aggregator though, so, yeah.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Brooks posted:

It would be funny for Diana to get pissed at how terrible mankind is based on WWI and take a twenty year sabbatical, just to come back in time for WWII.

http://i.imgur.com/irrbBmX.gifv

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In the meantime, Patty Jenkins comments on the "why Diana walked out from humanity" thing. Linked just to be sure about spoilers.

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-movie-dceu-changes-explained/

Unless I'm misreading, this is pretty loving waffley. Bill Clinton levels.

Also, holy poo poo, this writer person actually took the time to understand MoS and BVS instead of complaining like a retarded idiot. I'm impressed.
http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-movie-dceu-changes/

quote:

To explain our argument here, let’s start at the start with Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel, the first chance those devoted to DC’s big blue Boy Scout had to declare WB, DC, and Snyder had “gotten Superman wrong.” It’s easy to see the case being made, since the fact Superman’s been around for the better part of a century establishes him as an unflappable symbol of timeless, faultless heroism. In that sense alone, the ‘idea’ of Superman is an ‘ideal,’ existing outside of and above the pettiness or darkness of our world. So when Zack Snyder, David S. Goyer, and Christopher Nolan decided to examine how our modern world would react to Superman, that timeless veneer was shattered.

Still, Man of Steel gets at the heart of the best Superman stories in terms of its premise: he is special at birth, raised into a good man by Earth parents, emerges into the world as a guardian angel, and must defend all of humanity as he struggles to integrate his two selves, born of two worlds. But drop that story into our imperfect world, and it’s filled in with elements of xenophobia, government structures too big to fight, unwinnable scenarios, and the simple fact that sometimes ‘choosing one or the other’ leads to trauma, not closure.
edit:god dammit. reply isn't edit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Roth posted:

Really happy to see the positive buzz continue. I was worried it would be like BvS where the early comments were all positive, and then the reviews came out and were overwhelmingly negative.

From what I remember, unlike WW's wholly positive social media reaction, early buzz for BvS that was positive came mostly from fans and not critics or movie blogs.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea I also hope super hero movies become super predictable and one note and never again try to do anything interesting for some unfathomably dumb reason

This but unironically. I'm fine with just fun action comedies build around entertaining characters, no need to try and reinvert the wheel.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Tell that to BvS's snapped neck.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

Did Man of Steel ruin your life or something?

It's a case of MoS being the first basically leftist superhero blockbuster, and the first with a real ethical dimension to it. The fact that it has moral values is absolutely obscene to people who prefer more trivial pop.

Dropping the bobdage angle is a bit silly, but trivializing war sounds absolutely horrid.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Just saw the movie, WW kicks rear end. Ask away.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is there any "she must be some kind of...wonder woman.." Kind of scenes?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Nope, in fact I don't think they ever say wonder at all. They all refer to her as Diana. It's refreshing in that people spend very little time commenting on her gender (other than a time in the war room full of old general dudes and politicians where they mistake her for a secretary) and more time looking at each other in shock that someone is just wrecking the ever loving poo poo of everything

The Biggest Jerk fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 30, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is there any of this but instead they say "super"? :v:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Is there a villain in the movie? Or is the villain innocent german soldiers

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Fartbox posted:

Is there a villain in the movie? Or is the villain innocent german soldiers

There is/are villains. German soldiers are unfortunately the fodder but outside of one scene in the battlefield, the Germans aren't really portrayed as "bad people". In the end the movie does try to point out that why people fight isn't as simple as good and evil and do humanize them a little in the end.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Doe she bang captain kirk?

Do she peg him

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Nope, in fact I don't think they ever say wonder at all. They all refer to her as Diana. It's refreshing in that people spend very little time commenting on her gender (other than a time in the war room full of old general dudes and politicians where they mistake her for a secretary) and more time looking at each other in shock that someone is just wrecking the ever loving poo poo of everything

Just curious on your read here.

You're saying they don't comment on her gender but that whole looking at each other in shock thing is played off as "a woman??? On the battlefield????" For like the entire movie lmao

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Ghosthotel posted:

Just curious on your read here.

You're saying they don't comment on her gender but that whole looking at each other in shock thing is played off as "a woman??? On the battlefield????" For like the entire movie lmao

There was a moment where Steve's buds were surprised she was going with them but that's when she was wearing desk clothes and Steve didn't tell them who she was. She helps one of Steve's buddies and they're like oh you looks like you can handle yourself no problems then. When they're on the battlefield, there's women there as refugees so no one's batting an eye when WW is there. They're shocked that someone is running off into no man's land, but quickly get over it and just follow her lead. So it doesn't seem like they're surprised a woman is doing this, more like the fact that there is someone crazy to run off into gun fire followed by superhuman feats.

Doe she bang captain kirk?

Do she peg him

It's implied they bang. Just a kiss, fade to black, next day. It's after a sweet scene and tastefully done. Guess she could have pegged him

The Biggest Jerk fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 30, 2017

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah I feel like we watched two different movies.

The scene you mentioned with her helping steves friend is capped off with a "strong woman?? Me horny!!" joke, and on the way to no mans land she's given looks exactly because she's not a refugee and she's yelling at Steve to head into No Mans Land. Just kind of weird to say the movie doesn't comment on her gender when it in fact goes through huge lengths to do so?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Now that more people have seen it, I want someone to confirm or deny the validity of my complaint.

The CGI when Wonder Woman jumps or moves vertically very fast looks super awkward; like a cartoon edited into live footage. It really stuck out to me, but I saw it by myself and don't have anyone to tell me if I am being weird or not.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Depends on the scene imo. I kind of liked how quick it was on the raid in the village when she gets knocked into that one building from the explosion only to leap off the wall, but then later on when she leaps towards the tower it looks like how you're describing it.

All the fight scenes kind of felt like that to me though. A mix of some good stuff and really questionable stuff.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Ghosthotel posted:

Yeah I feel like we watched two different movies.

The scene you mentioned with her helping steves friend is capped off with a "strong woman?? Me horny!!" joke, and on the way to no mans land she's given looks exactly because she's not a refugee and she's yelling at Steve to head into No Mans Land. Just kind of weird to say the movie doesn't comment on her gender when it in fact goes through huge lengths to do so?

I get where your coming from, not saying it's wrong. The way I saw it was the people saw WW, a woman who was dressed strangely and with strange mannerisms doing strange things in London and then on the front. It's not that movie doesn't comment on her gender, it's just that it doesn't ruminate on it or let it define her actions.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Guess she could have pegged him

This is canon now

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

What is Ludendorff like

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

What is Ludendorff like

Kind of a by the numbers villain, nothing really all that memorable.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Kind of a by the numbers villain, nothing really all that memorable.

how much of an affront to history is it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

HannibalBarca posted:

how much of an affront to history is it

My WWI is rusty, but I think it is almost entirely historically accurate.

He is the commander of the German forces, is granted magic mustard gas by a super-powered god, hears voices, and was thrown out a window by a woman in a short skirt.

It doesn't go super in-depth, but it is the basic stuff from your high-school history textbook.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

:discourse:

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Speaking of Ludendorff

So Doctor Poison gives him that drug that will "return him to his former strength." which I get is supposed to throw you off the trail on Ares' real identity....except that line makes no god drat sense once the twist happens. Are we to believe this dude could crush guns with his hand in his youth or did she develop a super soldier serum? Should've just been roiding up the entire army if that was case. A lot of the powers are vague as hell in this movie. Like wonder woman's bracelet explosion is a thing she can do becaaaaauuussseee.....?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ghosthotel posted:

Speaking of Ludendorff

Like wonder woman's bracelet explosion is a thing she can do becaaaaauuussseee.....?

Magic?

• Locked thread