Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Ghosthotel posted:

Just got back from seeing a screening. Gonna post some quick thoughts. Ill put spoiler tags around em in case anyone is trying to go in completely blind.

• Boy howdy does this movie got quips. A lot of the jokes are similar to the fish out of water type stuff in the first Thor movie. Some of it lands, some of it doesn't. There are definitely some jokes that look like they might've gotten added in during reshoots or something though because they feel out of place with the rest of the movies humor. One in particular completely took me out of the movie for a solid minute.
  • The movie barely touches on how horrible WWI is and the most you really get is seeing some wounded people in like 2 different scenes. A lot of the dialogue between Diana and Steve in the beginning of the movie sets up this "War to end all wars" but we never actually get to see why. This was probably the most disappointing part for me.
  • The action scenes vary from fun to completely uninteresting to watch. When the movie gives you long shots of Diana just clowning on german soldiers left and right it's pretty entertaining. Any time she has to fight someone in a 1v1 the movie suffers because they just kind of do the "Up Close and Blurry with Lots of Cuts" thing and as a result it never really feels like shes laying into someone.
  • If you hated the doomsday fight from BvS you're gonna absolutely hate the final fight in this.

If anyone else wants me to go more into detail about it I can unless were trying to keep the thread completely spoiler free till release. If I had to give the movie a rating it'd be a 6 out of 10.

Lay it on us brother! I wanna hear about the very bad joke and the very bad final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Superman killed Zod in Man of Steel with the appropriate emotional impact that the regretfully necessary act of justified homicide in the defense of others should have on a morally centered person and was called a monster. People asked why he couldn't be more like the happy and reassuring 70s version, who threw his harmless captives into antiseptic pits never to be seen again with the triumphant cheer of the underdog getting his revenge at the end of a teen comedy?

Personally I think killing Zod was fine but the overall script was bad and the acting was bad and even the best action scenes just felt like video game cutscenes. The movie was not good for a whole bunch reasons other than "NOT MY SUPERMAN" bullshit.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Having said that it was still a lot better than BvS. Holy crap that movie sucked! I have no doubt Wonder Woman will beat that dreck at the very least.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

So did WW kill Dr. Poison at the end there with the tank? It seems like she did but it was weird since you'd expect her to do the opposite of Ares' taunts. Anyway solid film if a bit long, definitely the best DC production by far at this point. Looking forward to seeing more of Gal kicking rear end in JL.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I knew she let her live because, I mean, thematically it would make zero sense for her to kill her there. But the scene is poorly blocked, IIRC you see Dr. Poison cowering to the lower right of Wonder Woman and then the next shot is Wonder Woman throwing the tank, which she has held over her head, down and to the right.

Exactly. It made no sense in the context of the film but the shot composition / editing certainly hinted at it. I think it was a bit sloppy not to include an additional shot of her getting away sometime during the fight or right after Ares' defeat.

• Locked thread