Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I thought the movie did a good job with that honestly, and is only REALLY on the nose when Steve is arguing with her about how to proceed with the mission and basically says outright how she doesn't understand that they can't just roll in and kill the one biggest bad and that magically solves whatever problem is happening. Even after she kills Ares, this thread made me expect otherwise but it's not like all of the soldiers drop their arms and peace and love reign forever. They all just stop fighting because they're all stunned that a literal god just popped up in front of them and had a Dragon Ball Z kind of battle with someone and then died right in front of them.

Wonder Woman at the beginning of the movie is aching to be a hero in the real ancient world mythological sense of a hero being a hero because they're able to not only defeat a billion dudes in battle but also earn a title shot at trying to defeat the biggest baddest dude with no endgame beyond that. And like a lot of fairytales and fables it does a good job having her slowly grow beyond that. I think it was smart to have the modern day hero she meets in Steve be a more focused spy/espionage person for that reason.

And on the one hand the world not being in black and white and having nuance may be like a 101-level life lesson to some, but it's a mass marketed PG-13 movie so if some teenager comes away from it and it gave them something to think about that's cool. Still I don't know if I'd make a 1:1 comparison to organized religion beyond the most superficial "people get obsessed with this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Red Sonja sucks but gets points for having some of the dumbest/raddest ye olde fantasy setting helmets in film history.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

WWWWD

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Has Jenkins talked about any other stuff she's interested in directing/what she's looking to do in the future? Wonder Woman II (See like WWI they can abbreviate it WWII so it matches up with what war it's during, hire me Warner Bros.) obviously is happening but with how well this movie is still doing, after WWII does great she'll basically be able to get the dump truck of money to do whatever she wants in between superhero stuff like Nolan did for a while right?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

genola posted:

The last fight scene would have much better if Ares and Diana finished it with a good ol' fashioned sword and sandal swordfight.

This I agree with. Honestly it would have been really cool (though still a Dragon Ball Z video game boss fight like all comic book movies must have) if he still formed the huge armor out of military hardware fusing together around him, but as they fight it gets busted up and eventually instead of him blasting energy it comes down to a great closeup fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

She didn't disappear at all and just wasn't covered by US media unti she returns to the US after Superman appears.

• Locked thread