Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sure, I'm ready to see Chris Pine's rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Heh, folks getting put off 'cuz WW isn't grim or dark enough for them and directly undermines BvS; is it my birthday already? (Well, actually, yes it was, last Monday)

This movie sounds perfect. :toot:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh...it's finally happening. We're directly equating grimness with quality here now. Like, flat out not even bothering to hide it anymore.

Also lol if the fans like a movie then it must secretly be bad. Again, not even bothering with the pretense anymore; popular movies are bad, only movies that no one likes are good.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like yeah there's little point going back and forth on a movie that neither of us have seen but we have people calling this a "mediocre superhero film" at best and...anti-feminist, to boot?...specifically because the body count isn't high enough sooo really what should I be coming away with, here? That it's more likely folks here wouldn't nearly be as dejected if Diana was confirmed murdering soldiers left and right, or that 99% of this forum has suddenly become WWI purists/aficionados overnight and are seriously bemoaning that this fantasy action story about a magical warrior princess didn't go full-tilt Remarque?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Now we've got this Wonder Woman movie that's got a ton of positive buzz, but everything we've been shown so far is dull and lovely and blue. I'm desperately looking for a sign that this movie has anything fun or exciting in it
...Eh, if you've been watching the same clips from that I've been watching then I suppose nothing is going to change this weird wrong impression, but the trailers and clips I've been watching have a lot of personality and humor, which has been confirmed by people who've seen the film. Whether you like that personality and humor is subjective, but the fact that they exist in this film is not.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Sure, finally giving the first female superhero her own solo film is some kind of big deal or something or whatever...but y'know, I think the greatest thing this movie can and will do for the world is to be so much more accepted and well-received than MoS that far fewer movies will be like MoS from now on. Not just from the DCEU, but across all studios and genres. :allears: It ain't a sure thing yet but I live in hope.

Drifter posted:

lol :rolleyes:

"with the power of love, Clark was able to defeat and capture Zod in their next battle."
lol I'd personally love to be clued in as to why specifically we're supposed to think this would be bad.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

How could you forget FANTOMAH

How could I forget? I never knew!

Okay, I stand corrected then; WW is actually wholly unimportant on any sociological level aside how obsolete it renders MoS. :v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hellbunny posted:

How is it rendered "obsolete"? Because it will be a part of Justice League when that makes like a billion dollars.
The outer appearance of MoS will be there, perhaps. But its spirit...its heart...can be destroyed once and for all. :unsmigghh:

It's all gonna depend on the reviews coming in a couple hours. Justice League is mostly done and gonna come out no matter what, but if WW gets anything less than 65-70% overall RT ratings, anticipation for that film and any other followups are just gonna get lower and more niche. DC is gonna get stuck with its redheaded step-child reputation for even more years despite multiple attempts to course correct at this point.

But if WW gets the RT hivemind approval and does it by being anything of a diametric opposite to MoS, it is absolutely going to set the tonal and narrative standard for these films going forward. Even if Justice League turns out to be completely different than WW, people are gonna say "Man, that should've been more like WW." I'm not even really talking about financial impact; sales absolutely matter, but communistic impression matters more. Just ask Star Wars. Heck, just ask BvS or Suicide Squad.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Man of Steel has a big heart, I'm not sure why you'd want to destroy it.
From the ashes a new Superman will be reborn, made even stronger from the failures of his predecessor.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/30/15675084/review-wonder-woman

Polygon posted:

Wonder Woman is a film about the horrors of war, taking place as the German war machine is on its last legs and armistice is on the cusp of being drawn. The setting of World War I seems strange for the character at first. The Great War predates her creation as a historical event — predates the superhero genre itself by decades.

But it becomes clear over the course of the movie why this story simply could not be told about World War II. Jenkins uses Steve Trevor and his band of misfit operatives to drive home the particular horror of the first world war — that a conflict of its scale, brutality and unflinching endurance had no precedent in its time.

Diana is looking for a simple solution: Find the bad guy, stop them, save the world. And given that we’re following a movie that presupposes the existence of the Greek gods, we could be forgiven for believing her. But Wonder Woman has more to say than pinning a complicated historical conflict on a fictional supernatural force.

Previous DCEU movies have tried to use a cynical view of humanity’s complexity but ultimately failed to have any of it within their own characters. Wonder Woman grapples with the conflict between the allure of the simple solution and the complication of the real world explicitly, and how it does so — through character and theme — is something the rest of the franchise should be taking notes on.
Hmm.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

My hot take immediate impressions on Wonder Woman from tired midnight viewing last night, mostly copypasted from BSS, is...yup, pretty much agree with the general consensus. Virtually flawless first and second acts. But gets real coked out and trashes the house near the end.

I want to add a caveat to that, though...which is that, while the finale does start off real wonky and disorganized, it also does manage to recover its bearings at a certain point, in my opinion.

Yeah, from the moment Ares appeared I felt like he was just...spouting endless gibberish and turning everything about the film -- the dialogue, the editing, the action -- into a hot mess. Like what the gently caress is happening? What is this? Why is anyone doing anything that they're doing? I mean...technically I "know" why, but I suppose this part just wasn't...well, it just wasn't good at doing the why. Mechanically, narratively, visually, it just didn't feel like the same film it did before this point.

But...but then! We get to the part where Ares is goading Diana into killing Maru and it's suddenly like...ahhh. I get it now. I understand The Point. For one thing, this is Star Wars; this is the Emperor trying to corrupt Luke. But for another thing, this is also Wonder Woman at her peak. The idea of War personified trying to taint Diana's spirit by playing on her innate passions and rage and, yes, warrior's spirit...and then for her to reject this lesson in a display of mercy and love...is hands down one of the clearest, most impeccable depictions of this character that I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them. Diana was always Diana before this point, but the moment when she understands that love conquers war is the moment she truly becomes Wonder Woman.

(The electro DBZ beam she shot to destroy him at the end was still real dumb, though)

This WW story is basically about her journey from innocence into sin, from ignorance into wisdom, from immaturity into experience. It's Eve's exile from Eden. It's the story of a child becoming an adult, learning the truth about the world in all its beauty and horrors. It's about how easy it is to want to do good when you believe that good is all there is, and how hard it is to want to do good when you find out that evil is also all there is, and then choosing to do good anyway because that's what you ultimately believe in.

(It's also, simultaneously, a much better Christ allegory than MoS :v:. C'mon, the whole God/Satan/Jesus parallel with Zeus/Ares/Diana?)

I do agree that the themes get a wee bit muddled when we're forced to pair this up with BvS. I think what Jenkins is trying to go for here is a sense that, yes, Diana did say she walked away from mankind in that film...but that's only a fraction of the story. She can have walked away, but still be fighting. She can have given up on people, but still believe in them. This final act tries its utmost to make it so that it's not an either-or situation, that these aren't mutually-exclusive concepts. It almost gets there, with the whole "there is light and darkness and I accept both" compromise. But I think the themes just get that little bit too confused and unclear at the end so that it's not exactly a wholly satisfying conclusion either way.

Which is a pity, but ultimately not a very big deal to me; the rest of the film hits so many highs and gets so many rights that I can hardly be arsed about how the final ten minutes line up to a less good film. That's not necessarily a dig at BvS either, that's just how shared universes are gonna work no matter what, and DC is finally throwing its A-game into the pit.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 2, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Which reminds me that I don't understand people saying WW doesn't kill anyone, 'cuz yeah those two dudes are super dead.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

^It's...vague. Ares calls her the daughter (child? I don't remember which) of Zeus and Hippolyta, and Diana calls him "brother" at the end. But it's not mentioned whether that just figuratively means Zeus and Hippolyta created her together by her making the clay and him bringing it to life, or that they literally had sex and Hippolyta gave literal birth to her.

The "real truth" of what Diana is could merely be referring to her status as Godkiller, not necessarily the manner in which she came to be

Neo Rasa posted:

This is what they are in the comics.
Not really. In the Thor comics the gods have actual magic and divinity in ways that are not comparable to "super-advanced alien science," and any notions of them being just another powerful alien race in the universe are very downplayed.

It's similar to how the Doctor Strange movie attempts to depict its magic as some sort of metaphysical new age science, but in the comics, nah, it's just magic. It's magic with demons and spells and pentagrams and the whole nine.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Uh...it's not vague. Maru clearly got away and survived unless your interpretation of the plot is "Ares tries to goad Diana into murdering a defenseless woman, Diana remembers the power of love and refuses him, then casually murders her anyway."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I just saw the film again about two hours ago and Maru gets up and runs offscreen as soon as Diana has her moment of Zen. She's alive. Diana didn't throw a loving tank on her ffs.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Did the Serpent literally take control of Eve's mind and force her limbs to pluck the apple and forcibly manipulate her jaws into biting into it, or did it merely speak pleasing words and twisted truths in order to tempt her into Sin?

Ares did not cause the war in the way that Diana believed. No one was possessed, no one was mind-controlled. But he was still manipulating events and leading people astray in ways that make him directly complicit in the senseless evil and degradation that pervaded the war. He attempts the same thing on Diana herself. It definitely makes him more comparable to Satan than to the Ares of myth 'cuz, like...who the gently caress has Ares corrupted like this? Like, name one single instance in Greek mythology where Ares flew down down Earth, disguised or otherwise, and whispered pleasing words or twisted truths at people?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

The gods giving advice to people is at the core of the Iliad and the Perseus myth, off the top of my head.
Yes, the gods are famous for taking guises to walk amongst mortals to influence or test them but, again, I'm inquiring specifically about instances of Ares doing this. I know it doesn't happen in the Perseus myth and am unaware of any such instances in the Illiad. Ares is actually a sort of curiosity amongst the gods for how rarely he tries to manipulate people in this way. In fact, most instances of mortals being influenced by Ares would be described as them being overtaken by a blood-rage or warlike impulse that he "compelled" -- ie, through a sort of mind-control instead of subtle verbal manipulation -- which does make him more like what Diana initially believed him to be, and not the trickster serpent archetype that he was ultimately revealed to be in the film.

Steve Yun posted:

Friends, let's examine the character of Dr Maru.

Dr Maru is disfigured. She finds meaning in her work, which involves death and destruction. She is the confidante of a German general who loves killling people. They have a few laughs while killing German officers.

So in strolls this handsome stranger at the gala who lavishes her with attention and praise that she's rarely gotten before, but then Wonder Woman strolls in and catches his eye, and Dr Maru resigns herself to the fact that she's ugly before walking away. The camera lingers on her forlorn face deliberately.

At the climax of the film, she is cowering helpless before this goddess of a woman who has everything. She's beautiful, she's powerful, earlier she stole a man away from her and now she holds a tank held above her head and is ready to squash her. Steve saw her face and knew to prey on her need for attention and affirmation.

What is going on with Dr Maru's character? Dr Maru in the comics is not disfigured, so there was a deliberate change and that change is tied to her confidence about herself. Was there a theme of womens' poor self-image that the film was exploring? What is it saying? Is it fully developed in the film or did the film not follow through on this idea?
I actually recall the end of the Maru/Steve scene a bit differently. It felt like she was actually scoffing at Steve for his weakness in a "heh, men. Always so predictable" sort of way. By which I don't mean that she was unaware or unconcerned with her own disfigurement, but that it had almost become a source of bitter amusement for her. Maru expects people to treat her a certain way, and is vindicated in her expectations every time that every man or woman does so by dismissing her for her appearance.

There is definitely a sense that she felt drawn to Ludendorff because he prized her for her...unique...skillset, and that she felt similarly moved by Steve at first when he tried to relate to her on that level. On that level she's more compelled by people who admire her mind instead of her body. It's hard to say how she would've reacted if Steve or someone else did attempt to seduce her on a purely sexual level, but I don't expect it would have gone as well. When Steve does react to Diana's physical beauty (or so Maru believes), it merely reaffirms her embitterment.

That being said, I'm not sure I would say that Dr. Poison became embittered because she was disfigured, or that she became disfigured as a direct result of her callousness and "unique skillset." She experiments with poisons. I wouldn't go as far as to say her disfigurement was self-inflicted, but it's no stretch to believe that her own work was what caused her current appearance instead of any cruel incident or twist of fate.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The character Ares in this film acts more like another character, from another mythos, than he acts like the classical Ares from his own mythos. Therefore people are saying that the character Ares in this film acts more like another character, from another mythos, than he acts like the classical Ares from his own mythos. Your initial admonition -- that people who think Ares acts like this other character instead of himself simply don't know either mythology very well -- is specious and flawed and, honestly, makes it seem like you're the one who doesn't know Ares, Satan, or this film.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

But he also acts like a number of other characters, from their own religions and mythologies, and in fact their argument was much broader than that. And their arguments are implicitly imperialist in nature, since if we took them seriously we'd have to conclude many other religions are actually Christianity in disguise.
No, because no one's saying the Ares from religion is like Satan from religion. They are saying that the Ares in this film is like Satan from religion. All it means is that the film/filmmakers are espousing Christian imagery, not that every historical religion is now retconned into Christianity.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Speaking of which, the timeline of Themyscira gets a little wonky I think. If Zeus made Diana as he died, does that mean that Zeus and the other gods defeated Ares then died, like, in the early 20th Century? 'Cuz that's about when Diana would've been born/made/whatever. Or does that mean Diana is a two-thousand year-old womanchild? There's also Hippolyta telling Antiope that Ares might never return and the threat is totally over forever when they would've fought him, like, about a decade ago 'cuz Diana's a twelve year-old at that point.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

farraday posted:

In interviews I believe they say Diana is 5000 years old.
See, to me that is mega weird and very incongruous with the overall narrative. So much of Diana's story in this is centered on her development out of innocence, naivete, and childlike views, and that is really hard to justify with a bloody five-thousand year-old character, no matter how sheltered she may have been.

I did like the exposition storybook they had with the animated baroque art (another anachronistic element!); it was kind of reminiscent, in a good way, of Jor-El's animated pointillism mural in MoS. I hope every other DC film also uses some eye-catching art style to depict their backstories. Aquaman can use watercolors HAHAHA but seriously folks

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

All that works fine in the context of the finale but it's a dark film for plenty of reason before the ending conflict. And you can have a sincere film that is dark just like you can make one realistic and grounded that is also dark. I'm just saying that given any opportunity to present a scenario common to the Superman or superhero film genre, they chose a dark one. Every interaction is one of violence, from where ship computers try and kill people and require destruction before having a conversation, where the joy of flight is about destroying mountain tops. If you have to remove the fathers from Superman, it can't be in the death of their planet but from being stabbed or forcing a wife and child to witness it while being fully able to stop it. The idea that he can hide his secret is demonstrated by cowering before bullies he could easily defeat. But then you have to drive the notion to it's absolute absurd extreme by killing his dad who makes him watch his dad demonstrate heroism in a version of "do as I say, not as I do". And you get the threaten Martha thing in both movies.
The idea that Snyder attached brutality to these ostensibly-bloodless story events as a matter of course is a really good way of describing the MoS phenomenon that I hadn't quite thought of before.

I think I'd draw the line at the "destroying mountain tops" part somehow indicating the film's propensity for darkness and cynicism, though. In complete seriousness: no one cares about some rando mountain in Antarctica. Clark loving up some arbitrary landscapes as he tests his flight for the first time doesn't really come across as "violence" to me as it does "inexperience," especially when it's sandwiched between the rest of that uplifting scene. Also, it was kinda funny.

Now, if he were testing his powers in a rural area, that'd be a different story.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Steve also takes five minutes out of his very short life :keke: to try to make her see that all of humanity is to blame.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

ARES: ...Given that I think humanity is intrinsically evil, and I'm doing this to hurt Zeus and Diana, my account of anything is at best unreliable.
Not when he's bound by a lasso of truth. For all intents and purposes, Ares truly believes what he's saying, that humans started this war and killed each other without his help, and the only thing he did was to give them better weapons to kill each other with and to engineer a peace that they themselves would break. Just like Gaiman's Lucifer, he's never made anyone do anything.

Also, can we just do away with this whole notion that Diana ignored the Holocaust or something? Nothing in this film says anything about what Diana did in the years between World War I and now. She could have sat it out, or she could have been involved. This isn't a spoiler, either.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like, don't get me wrong; I totally agree that that third act is really friggin' weird to unpack 'cuz everything -- plot, editing, themes, dialogue -- seems to be tripping over something else and we pretty much become as dazed and confused about everything onscreen as Diana herself does. But if you can somehow interpret those cheers of relief from the German soldiers as...well, as literally anything other than the possibility that they just got liberated from an ancient god of war's mind-control, then the overall themes and resolutions do end up fairly coherent and compelling.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's kind of interesting. I think this film did a lot of things very well. But I do wonder if it did a lot of novel things.

A lot of interviews and reviews have played up the idea that Wonder Woman didn't need a tragedy to motivate her into heroism, but...all that hero-driving tragedy is still here. First with Aunt Antiope getting shot by a mugger, and then with Steve's extravagant man-fridging.

To be fair, Antiope's death doesn't teach her anything or instill any significant character development in her, and her drive to be Wonder Woman is shown to have come from other sources.

But in that case, why is the scene in here at all? Because we needed to keep the requisite blueprint of an archetypal superhero's journey, even if bits and pieces of that blueprint aren't actually needed? It's not like Diana was any less selfless or adventurous or proactive before Antiope died, unlike a lot of other heroes who require a motivating death of a loved one. Literally no one ever mentions Antiope again after that scene, because all of Diana's motivating forces are coming from elsewhere. So what does this death actually add, in this storyline?

As for the Steve death, I have a strong feeling that if the genders were switched in that scenario -- if a woman blew herself up to save the world and teach the male hero a valuable lesson -- I personally would be calling it the lamest, most generic poo poo ever. Is there something about this context of Diana and Steve, of a male love interest dying to further a female hero's characterization (which doesn't happen in the original source material), that makes it inherently less...naff? Whether because setting the genders up in this way is just more novel in general, or was there something about the way that this sacrifice was written and depicted that makes it less hackneyed and equivocal to every other time this has happened?

I dunno. I don't have clear answers for any of this. I absolutely think WW is a sort of a unique film with a one-of-a-kind storyline, but I do wonder how much of that unique film is still made up of elements we've seen in a whole lot of other places.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

hump day bitches! posted:

Robin Wright is also back so I guess being dead is no longer something that will hold characters back
I'm pretty sure this will be a flashback. Apparently the Amazons, Atlanteans, Kryptonians, and some humans all fought against Apokolips in the past.

It's one of the ideas JL is introducing that I'm unambiguously in favor of.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think what's throwing people off here is the concept that directors are not necessarily choreographers. They direct choreography, but that's just a small part of what creating an action setpiece entails, or else why would you even hire choreographers at all?

That being said...accounts from the cast, combined with video footage, would suggest that Jenkins was in fact pretty hands-on and involved and engaged in the process of creating action scenes. :allears:

But even still, even seeing those screenshots and gifs?...without actually being on set to observe the process, it's still hard to say just how much of those kinds of scenes a film owes directly to the director and not to the other hands in the pot.

Not that it ultimately matters, methinks, since the action in WW was generally pretty great. :buddy:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Carol Danvers' persona is a lot more engaging and appealing than most of her actual "storylines" have been, though I did enjoy the recent arc written by Fazekas and...Butters?

And then she got turned into Marvel's #2 fascist so that put a bit of a damper on things.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I really appreciated the acting choices Gadot made in making Diana come across much more vulnerable and humane.

Not to overly shade on some of the previous WW performances, but when I try to imagine the Justice League cartoon Diana, or even the Keri Russell version from the animated movie, speaking the line "How can you say that? What is the matter with you!?" to Steve Trevor, all I can hear is "their" Dianas being judgmental and preachy in a really pretentious mother hen sort of way. The way that Gadot spoke the line, though, with that sense of confusion and helplessness and frustration, does a great job of showing how everything about this war is affecting Diana and, through her, the audience.

On that non-sequitur: I like a large majority of Marvel films, but they have very little to brag about when it comes to their depiction of female superheroes. To this day, the total lovely way that Hope Van Dyne was treated in Ant-Man makes that one of my least favorite superhero movies in spite of its draws.

Which isn't to say I'm not a bit apprehensive for Justice League as well. At the end of the day, there's still gonna be five dudemenguys on that team (six counting the inevitable Green Lantern in the sequel) with one single woman, which doesn't fill me with confidence that Diana isn't going to be afflicted with the same Team Chick syndrome that Black Widow and Gamora got the brunt of. Hopefully Mera makes more than just a cameo?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Obvs Agents of SHIELD is one of the best shows ever and that everyone recognizes this objective fact!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I can almost guarantee Diana is not going to be relegated to "Black Widow/Gamora" team status in JL. No way. If anything, I have an inkling all the guys will answer to her. I also feel like there's likely going to be a choice set piece in JL where both Diana and Mera wreck Parademon fools together.
Well, if that's the case it'll probably happen during the reshoots, 'cuz so far the trailers have mostly focused on JL being the misadventures of cranky Batman playing off against the wacky gang he picks up, while Diana hasn't done much in them but make poses and snark against...again, Batman.

Which...yeah, I get it, Ben Affleck is your big recognizable Hollywood face, and Batman is Batman, and there's a lot of new characters to introduce. It just doesn't make me super confident that the film is gonna totally upend genre conventions of your average sausage-festy superteam and their one mascot lady. And any hope of adjusting anything already filmed is gonna lie in the hands of the guy who gave Black Widow baby problems and had her fall in love with the dweebiest guy in the entire MCU.

(I <3 u Joss!...I just don't trust you :v:)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There are at least four credited contributor's to Wonder Woman's script, with Allan Heinberg being fully credited with the screenplay. According to the producer...

quote:

“Really early on, before Patty came on the project, we put our toe in the water with two writers. They took completely different approaches on the material—one was the Crimean War and one was World War I, but a completely different World War I experience. We had quite a Writers Guild arbitration with a number of writers because we had a lot of writers, and then there were the preceding writers and the other incarnations of the development of Wonder Woman. But for our Wonder Woman we didn’t like the ultimate take on those scripts, even though they’re talented guys, and Zack [Snyder] and Allan Heinberg then collaborated on a story. We had a different director on at that time, and that director—which was OK’d by the studio—brought a number of writers on. We had more writers working with—everybody had knowledge because you can’t do it with the Writers Guild without telling everybody what you’re doing and everybody has to be OK—but we had more writers working at the same time than I’ve ever done. In the history of all the movies that I’ve done, it never worked out that way before.”

quote:

“While there are things that most of [the other writers] contributed that are in the script, there wasn’t anybody who ended up making such a contribution that they were able to get a credit. A guy by the name of Jason Fuchs got the third position in the ‘Story By’ so it’s Zack Snyder, Allan Heinberg, and Jason Fuchs, but Allan Heinberg got the full screenplay credit. Even though after he wasn’t able to finish working—he had to go back to the TV series that he was working on—Geoff Johns and Patty did a tremendous amount of collaboration. But again based on the rules they weren’t allowed to get any credit, but they did a lot of writing that stuck. So that’s the long-winded version of the answer being that we had a basic arc of a story, but scene to scene it really came together when Patty got involved.”

quote:

“One of the great things that came with Patty was this great use of Diana’s naiveté from living such a sheltered life on Themyscira. So even though she ends up […] becoming a fighter, she’s still pretty sheltered because she’s never been off the island. So she’s got no life experience really. When she meets a man for the first time that gives you great potential humor, and when she goes off the island there’s great potential humor just in her sense of what life is like and her finding out what life is like in man’s world. So a lot of the humor of the movie, or the circumstances, was pulled out by Patty.”
I wasn't familiar enough with Jenkins' work to recognize her fingerprints, so I was interested to read that she introduced most of the "fish-out-of-water" stuff, since the major themes of the film -- that of Diana's innocence, destruction of innocence, and what she does in light of this destruction-- don't really come together without that.

And I've read enough of Geoff Johns and Allan Heinberg to be able to pick out specific scenes, ideas, and dialogue that was probably written by them. (If I had to guess, most of Steve Trevor and his crew is from Heinberg, with bits of Johns sprinkled in. His status as a spy, his go-getter but deprecating demeanor is very reminiscent of Heinberg characters. And Charlie might as well be a Grey's Anatomy storyline) (The ice cream scene was taken directly from Johns' comics. The scene of Steve using the lasso on himself is also Johns.)

So, tldr, I have no idea what Zack Snyder ultimately contributed to this film in its finished state...but, going directly by a producer's accounts, it would be kinda overstating Snyder's involvement to say he "wrote this one" considering the amount of hands in the pie. But hey, who knows, for all I know he wrote everything except the scenes I mentioned!

Equeen posted:

I liked the movie, but a podcast review pointed out something interesting: with the exception of Hestia, there were no mention Greek goddesses. In hindsight, you would think Athena, the goddess of wisdom and war strategy, the literal opposite of Ares in terms of temperament and morality, would have gotten her name dropped at least once...
You can thank Brian Azzarello for that. He's the Wonder Woman writer who obliterated every single positive female influence for Diana during the 2010s and replaced them with male power influences like Zeus and Ares. This has since been corrected in the comics, but since this film was made during that era, I suppose DC felt obligated at the time to take cues from his run, which was dumb of them.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 18, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Houston Sharp's paintings of the Amazons' history.

Two unused images that further illustrate the betrayal and enslavement of the Amazons by mankind. I was glad that the event was mentioned in the film; it's a pretty pivotal moment in the Amazons' history and culture. (For those wondering, the bracelets that all the Amazons wear are meant to signify their time spent in slavery and their vow to never let that happen again.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

On Azzarello's run Zeus is not only absent but is constantly remembered by the other gods as deadbeat father that did nothing right. Ares is a washed out drunk that can't get the motivation to do anything beyond drinking and is more than happy to pass the god of war mantle to Diana.
I was talking about power influences. What the hell are you talking about?

Zeus, Ares, and Hephaestus specifically give her powers, training, and tools in Azzarello's now-retconned run. No goddesses were involved whatsoever, in sharp contrast to...literally every Wonder Woman origin at the time. The idea carries over into the film, to the point that people are wondering why no goddesses are even mentioned other than Hestia while every piece of Diana's powers can be sourced to ultimate male god Zeus. That is thanks to Azzarello's story and the filmmakers for deciding to follow up on it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

And that sniper...was Jesus Christ

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I always preferred the lamp test, invented by Kelly Sue DeConnick.

Replace the female lead with a sexy lamp. Does the film change?
I'ma be honest, I never understood how that test is supposed to work. Are these some sort of...sentient sexy lamps that can move from place to place and carry a conversation? Do leading men like Tom Cruise and Christian Bale know that they're speaking to faceless lamp creatures from some hellish dimension and kissing them and loving them, Clive Barker-style? 'Cuz right now I'm imagining an island filled with nothing but sexy lamps who train and ride horses and are ruled by the Lamp Queen who hosed Zeus and begat a precocious Lamp Princess.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean I thought the woman in Jurassic World was a little one-dimensional but I'm pretty sure her nephews and Chris Pratt would notice if they were interacting with a lamp all this time.

It's possible I'm thinking of this too literally. :buddy:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

For some reason WB just didn't bother trying to cash in on WW.
:ssh: Ah yes for some reason she's a female character, very mysterious she's a female character, what could it possibly be SHE'S A

(actually, Ike Perlmutter doesn't run the WB so I dunno what their stance on such things would be lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

One thing I will say:

Back when BvS came out, something that I readily believe it did very well was to set up Wrong DC Universe. By which I mean, the DCEU constructed by these films is a universe that could and should have been a lot more like a traditional DC Universe, but for some reason diverged from that status quo. And the film was actually quite clear about the reason this happened, which is that the timelines of its most mythic heroes have all been borked.

BvS Batman is Wrong Batman because he came into the scene way too early. The conventional Batman story is upended because there were no other heroes around at the time to inspire him, no one to pull him from the brink after Robin's death, no surrogate family that ever replaced the one he lost.

BvS Superman is likewise Wrong in his role because he came into the scene too late. Something went wrong with the timeline of this world and Superman is completely alone in this era, with no other active heroes with whom he could relate. He is thereby a middling, unexceptional Superman who holds himself too far apart from everything that he shouldn't, because it doesn't even occur to him to do otherwise.

Wonder Woman...it's true that this is a less woebegone film than MoS or BvS, and it struggles a bit to reconcile its own intent with the intent it carries from BvS. But ultimately I think it still fits quite well within the Wrong DC Universe framework. This Wonder Woman came into the world a hundred years too early, earlier than even the earliest versions of her conventional timeline had ever taken place in, which was in WWII. On the one hand she handled herself pretty well considering what she was up against...on the other hand, she was forced to confront one of the more miserable wars in history with no real context or companionship aside from Steve, who then dies at least in part due to how completely unprepared she was for this experience. She then hides away from the world, having learned the lesson that "less is more" when it comes to fighting evil, and does not openly advocate for sociopolitical change the way that Wonder Woman ought to, because this is not the conventional Wonder Woman story either.

In the right DC Universe...well, let's not call it "right," but maybe "functional"...anyway, in that universe, these three characters (and more besides) all come onto the scene more or less in the same time period. Which shouldn't seem like such a big deal, but we can actually see just how much the infrastructure of this fictive world gets thrown out of whack when you place the founding of these cornerstone heroes years and years apart from one another, instead of tossing each of them into a world that has other exceptional, extra-human heroes ready to inspire and fight alongside one another.

From what we can tell, the end of BvS and the subsequent events of Justice League is sort of the film universe's attempt to self-correct; the more of its mythic cornerstones it can gather together in the right time and the right place, the more functional that the universe as a whole becomes...like, severed limbs re-attaching itself to become a cohesive body. I wouldn't go as far as to say that time is "broken" in this world, but it's an especially interesting notion if we consider that Geoff Johns' most recent -- and probably infamous -- comic book work is all about how important moments in time have been stolen from the DC Universe and therefore a lot of very important details of the world are not the way that they should be.

Away all Goats posted:

Wonder Woman never really flies in this film, does she? I can't remember her flying in BvS either.
I'd say she's flying by the end of the film, though yeah, for the most part she's kinda hovering or gliding. You'd think the difference would be negligible, but apparently not!

• Locked thread