Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Waltzing Along posted:

This movie looks awful. The promotion going on for so long and so heavy points towards the studio knowing it is bad and hoping for a big opening before everyone tells everyone else how much it sucks.

Actually, there's been quite a lot of talk that the movie hasn't been promoted heavily enough. So this is a weird, weird thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jimbot posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing this. It'll also be interesting to compare and contrast. The critics and I's tastes seemed to have diverged quite a long time ago so it'll be something.

Are you a twenty-something self-styled nerd with a lib arts degree and the willingness to write a review for 50 dollars?

Yes: have I got some perspective for you!
No: have I got some "perspective" for you!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jimbot posted:

I'm just hoping they don't sanitize the the war. It's well and good they she tries not to kill people but it's World War 1 and a lot of kids who signed up for adventure were forced to kill one another. A good way of losing faith in humanity while fight in a poo poo rear end war that doesn't solve anything.

It's PG-13 so they're not even going to get 1/10th of the misery onto the screen. You can expect some wood-lined trenches with dirty guys in them and a curiously corpse-free No Man's Land. I guarantee it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

brawleh posted:

Seems like the opinions from some reviews on the finale and indeed Wonder Woman herself, are really missing the point of its relationship with BvS.

Well I don't think you should have to see one movie to understand the other. That's just my opinion. I know people love the interconnectedness of this stuff but I read comics in the 80s and saw the Dawn of the Cross-Over in realtime. Not a big fan.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vegetable posted:

I loving cried when Wonder Woman leapt from her trench and charged the land of no man. Nothing from superhero movies I've seen have captured the sense of heroism so acutely yet. Invulnerability is a big part of the recipe, you idiots.

*in an extremely Darmok voice* Superman, Under the Gravity Beam

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Wow you got me that was totally like a 10,000 word serious post about how deep and Frasier-like Man of Steel was

Those don't actually exist, unlike what he was quoting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jimbot posted:

Let's be fair here, if you compile all the goon posts on Man of Steel talking about all the themes, symbolism, imagery and all that good stuff, it'd probably amount to that.

I agree, but that's over a 4 year period. In the same timeframe, GBS has written the same amount of words about sardines.

There's this really stupid idea where actually taking time to discuss things in-depth on this discussion forum is something to be sneered out. Well I've got great news - Blockbuster Video has been created and you can throw out pithy three-line posts about cinema to your heart's content. And if you think I'm criticizing that style of discussion about movies (or even sardines) - I'm not. Please enjoy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

As a Greek Demigod, Diana is a Hero in the original Homeric sense. The moral system of the time is vastly different than ours.

Unfortunately the audience does not consist of Greeks who share this moral framework. If it was there would be no tears for Snyder's DC Murderverse.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I really found his harping on political correctness tiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I think the point here is that you can't compare The Conversation to this. That's like saying that a dictionary is a better book than a thesaurus.

• Locked thread