Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

As an internet faux argument as far as inspiration goes, I kind of get what you're saying, but Wright actually had nothing to do with Luis' scenes...

That was the point he was making. Wright gets credit for parts of Ant-Man he had nothing to do with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

Honestly, while I thought it was a good movie, i think it's a bit undeserving of all the praise it get. Part of me wonders if it's due to it starring the first female superhero (yes I know about catwoman and electra, shut up). This is not a bad thing mind, as I realise that Wonder woman has a symbolic value for a lot of women, and I am thrilled they got a hero that inspires them.

By the way, there was obviously a point in having Diana fight the germans only to realise the villian was Brit Mustache, but i am not quite sure what it was.
She fights the germans only because Steve told her they were the bad guys, but the allies were (irl) just as bad. There was no good or bad side in WW1, so it's a bit puzzling to see the allies represented as the good side.
Best as I can figure, it was just setting her up for Ares reveal that humanity in general is terrible and we dont deserve her, and then juxtapose that with the braveness of Steve to show that we are good and evil, but it seems like such a weak conclusion somehow. Like, she murders her way across the front and that's the payoff? (Incidentally, that reminds me of a quote from a comic Batman about her; "Force peace.' The AMAZON TENET. 'Spread LOVE and UNDERSTANDING... But don't be afraid to BLOODY your KNUCKLES DOING it.'") its so bizarre she's murdering what amounts to innocent soldiers so she can...save the lives of the innocent soldiers? I feel like i am missing something

Diana did not do anything to save 'innocent soldiers.' She heard about how a town had been captured and the people there were effectively being held as slaves. She went to save the townspeople, not soldiers. It's an intentional parallel to how her own people were enslaved and that is in fact exactly what sets her off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"A female lead can only be good if she never actually expresses anything definitively feminine in any way" is always a crappy argument. Even if it wasn't a 5 second scene there's nothing wrong with a character expressing maternal feelings nor does it make them less badass. (primary example is one Ripley, Ellen.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 23, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

We are a ways away from a true Elseworlds/what if live action movie. Not that they shouldn't try, though.

Logan literally came out this year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah, both ignore that DCU produced the best (and probably the first truly great) superhero movie and its good sequel.

But DCU didn't produce Mystery Men?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, the frequency of complaints from both audiences and professional reviewers about things that are, in fact, good and thematically appropriate is a good place to start.

Maybe someone can disagree with you that something is good or thematically appropriate without being stupid?

I actually agree with your reading, for the record, and I thought it was a good decision, but it's so tiresome how people who claim to want a variety of readings always retreat back to "you don't support my reading you must be stupid!!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 29, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't disagree with this sentiment necessarily, but I think the context of how this got started is important. Namely, Kawabata appealing to the authority of "most critics and audience" thinking a part of a movie is bad. It's just as tiresome when the "most people agree with me that [this movie] is [good/bad]" card gets played.

Well, I think it's kind of a complex issue.

I think something can both be thematically and storyline appropriate and not executed well enough to live up to its potential. This is obviously a place where a lot of people are going to disagree. "This scene looked ridiculous" for example can hit "That was intentional and it's good" "That was unintentional and its bad" "That was intentional but was bad" and even the rare 'it was unintentional but it works." The common consensus is by no means a die-hard or cast-iron measure of the success or failure of a scene but if a lot of people end up laughing or or mocking a scene, even a thematically appropriate one, it probably means there's something worth discussing about how the scene was executed. And that certainly doesn't mean the scene is without value or that it working for you means you're dumb or bad but is interesting in discussing the craftsmanship of a scene or the value of a design decision.

And at the end of the day if you genuinely feel it is a good decision then that's awesome and there's nothing wrong with that. God knows we all have things like that. I'll go to bat for parts of Iron Man 3 despite a lot of people genuinely despising it and I don't feel my thoughts on it are wrong. It's writing everyone else off as stupid that doesn't help anything. It basically is a big reason a lot of conversation boils down into people getting angry instead of genuinely bouncing ideas off one another. :smith: (And obviously it goes both ways, people instantly deriding other readings sucks too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What are the odds that "The One True Wonder Woman"/Diana's Black Sister/Nubia/Nu'Bia gets resurrected and brought into the movies if Black Panther does well in box offices?

Because she was a badass character in the comics and destroying her in Crisis on Infinite Earths was dumb.

I thought there was a character in WW strongly implied if not stated to be her but I'm not sure.

• Locked thread