Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

teagone posted:

It's revealed she is the offspring of Hippolyta (not a god) and Zeus (a god) in the film — it's her New 52 origin, where Hippolyta lied to Diana about her birth, saying she was born from clay, but in truth she is the natural born daughter of Zeus, carried to birth by the Amazon Queen. According to Greek myth, that makes her a half-god. A demigod. Part Amazon from her mother's side, part god from her father's side.

Then they got several lines in the movie wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how overtaking BvS is treated like an actual goal.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Two people browsing!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Rambo 3 was dedicated the freedom fighters of Afghanistan.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
James Cameron agrees Wonder Woman is no match for Sarah Conner.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sarah Conner an icon to red-blooded American children everywhere.

She stopped her war.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
He has made a few movies with strong females leads. I would say if anyone would able to have an opinion on it, hes one of them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at’ite is a hunter, teacher, and warrior.

She stopped her war.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
She saves her love interest.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Beatrix Kiddo, assassin, martial arts master, mother.

She started and finished a war.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

gohmak posted:

I could care less if it was hyper successful. Transformers is hyper successful but I will not allow my 6 year old son to watch Optimus Prime behead enemies as they plead for their life.

That is like the best part of Dark of the Moon. Megatron says to Prime, "what would you be without me" and then he says " time to find out" and he axe murders him! Then he shoots his mentor in the face with a space robot shotgun for betraying all of his kind and trying to enslave the humans.

I also think his mentor begged for his life too, it was sweet.

gohmak posted:

I haven’t seen Ghostbusters 2016 but explain how so? What does WW represent that little girls should aspire?

Be a god that's immune to bullets with the power to slowmo and sex the male love interest before he dies. What a high bar Wonder Woman set. drat she copied the plot to terminator one!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 26, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

gohmak posted:

And be a westernized beauty standard white woman.

She was crafted by Zeus! How did he even know?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MariusLecter posted:

Youre right, a true step forward would be everyone doing this movie pro bono and no charge for admission at theatres.

Some theaters do get hosed by the companies on the first week of the movies when they ask for like 80% or some other high amount for ticket sales. If your interested in knowing more, you can do a google search why you should buy a soda at the movie theater. One thing though they get to keep operating costs from the tickets so I guess that's one thing if you like having a run down theater at one point.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 26, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

This is so good.

BrianWilly posted:

In the most general sense, Wonder Woman places its female superheroic power fantasy on an equal footing with other male superheroic power fantasies. It gives a female superhero the same thematic and narrative power as a male superhero, which is so completely rare that I will go ahead and suggest that it has literally never happened in mainstream cinema before.

Sarah Connor is a cool character, but she's honestly barely a power fantasy and not remotely a superhero. Katniss Everdeen is not a superhero. There has been no female equivalent to Superman or Batman or Spider-Man or Iron Man in theaters until Wonder Woman happened. Now, if you have problems with superheroic power fantasies in this general sense then that's your own personal issue to work through, but the reason this movie takes a step forward for the genre, and thereby cinematic representation in general, is that it does this thing that virtually no other film does.

Halle Berry was Cat Woman. Jennifer Garner was Electra. They both had their own movies. Before you said no one saw these movies, I'll say, I did see them both. Halle Berry are you kidding, have you seen Swordfish?

BrianWilly posted:

Again, I'll say that if you just don't like superheroes in general then you obviously won't like that there's also a powerful female superhero alongside all the other powerful male superheroes, but that's not actually an argument against the fact that this film takes this significant step forward.

Did you not see X-Men: The Last Stand? It's almost all about the Pheonix for the wrong reasons. Scarlet Witch, so strong they have to keep her under house arrest in Civil War.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 27, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BrianWilly posted:

you'll grant that no human man, woman, or child ended up being able to relate to this character or her narrative on any conceivable level, all but blunting the film's ability to affect representative progress.

And little girls are going to be able to relate to a god created by Zeus raised on an island of Amazons?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yea, it sounds about right on the level with little kids looking up to Iron Man and Captain America.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't see how it pushed any envelope. Female super hero movie? That's some low goal.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

McSpanky posted:

Oh poo poo, I just realized I didn't actually relate to Superman as a kid because I wasn't an alien survivor of a doomed world raised by Kansas farmers. Thanks for setting me straight.

So Wonder Woman is good because shes a female action lead? But not the first. What about the new Star Wars character Rey? That came out almost a year before. Or is it only because she's a female action super hero lead of a movie that didn't flop?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

...and you're looking towards Hollywood for an alternative?

Next stop, the government.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

gohmak posted:

Love conquers all.

Seriously, nobody watched Red Sonja? She faught Conan the Barbarian to a draw!

Arnold didn't play Conan in that movie hes like a guard captain. Arnold has a really good saying about Red Sonja too!

quote:

"It's the worst film I have ever made." He joked, "Now, when my kids get out of line, they're sent to their room and forced to watch Red Sonja ten times. I never have too much trouble with them."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Kratos killed Ares better and Zeus for that matter.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The movie is pretty close to terminator.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
She was already running on rooftops at the end, that makes her a superhero. Roof stalking.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr. Apollo posted:

Jenkins on the WW sequel:

It would have to be after JL so that leaves space aliens, saving whales, global warming, or ISIL.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Schwarzwald posted:

To actually do battle with Ares, Wonder Woman drinks a potion that puts her in a trance, and her "astral body" sneaks aboard a phantom spaceship taking the ghosts of the war dead to Ares' iron fortress on the planet Mars.

After destroying the iron fortress and Ares inside in, Wonder Woman explains that as a god, Ares cannot truly be killed. The best mankind can hope for is imprisoning Ares, through ending war on Earth.

Try to play that on the playground or even make that a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

Has Jenkins talked about any other stuff she's interested in directing/what she's looking to do in the future? Wonder Woman II (See like WWI they can abbreviate it WWII so it matches up with what war it's during, hire me Warner Bros.) obviously is happening but with how well this movie is still doing, after WWII does great she'll basically be able to get the dump truck of money to do whatever she wants in between superhero stuff like Nolan did for a while right?

To make it interesting they should have her on the side of the Nazis. Trying to make humans a better race unlike Ares and only have the nazis abuse her help.

• Locked thread