Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drifter posted:

Wonder Woman's take on WWI
Humanity: "What have we done?!?!"
Humanity: "Oh thank goodness, it was all a dream."
Humanity on WW2: "FINALLY we can do war our way!"

"Thank you Wonder Woman for setting humanity free." - Adolf Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is there any "she must be some kind of...wonder woman.." Kind of scenes?

Is there any of this but instead they say "super"? :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

There's not a huge amount of WW1 media. I mean, currently, there's a computer game, which boils down a hellish conflict into "Throw grenades at zeppelins while you're on a horse" and there's a few horror movies set in the trenches, but with the war being as awful and pointless as it was, and having a bigger budget sequel, it doesn't lend itself to popular media very well.

It's also the game that tells you about the horrors and senseless tragedy of war, unless you're a pilot, in which case war's pretty loving awesome for you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This movie gets all the credit in the world for doing the whole no man's land scene where people are saying "it's called no man's land because no man can cross it" without having to be the sort of garbage movie that has wonder woman say "good thing I'm no man" (even if that still was the implication of the scene)

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"

A cold voice answered: 'Come not between the Nazgűl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."

A sword rang as it was drawn. "Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. "But no living man am I! You are looking upon a woman. Eowyn am I, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."
The winged creature screamed at her, but then the Ringwraith was silent, as if in sudden doubt. Very amazement for a moment conquered Merry's fear. He opened his eyes and the blackness was lifted from them. There some paces from him sat the great beast, and all seemed dark about it, and above it loomed the Nazgul Lord like a shadow of despair. A little to the left facing them stood whom he had called Dernhelm. But the helm of her secrecy had fallen from her, and and her bright hair, released from its bonds, gleamed with pale gold upon her shoulders. Her eyes grey as the sea were hard and fell, and yet tears gleamed in them. A sword was in her hand, and she raised her shield against the horror of her enemy's eyes.”
― a hack

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I agree, but that's over a 4 year period. In the same timeframe, GBS has written the same amount of words about sardines.

There's this really stupid idea where actually taking time to discuss things in-depth on this discussion forum is something to be sneered out. Well I've got great news - Blockbuster Video has been created and you can throw out pithy three-line posts about cinema to your heart's content. And if you think I'm criticizing that style of discussion about movies (or even sardines) - I'm not. Please enjoy.

I regularly forget that subforum exists now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Apollo posted:

Speaking of Battlefield 1 I was reading that apparently some players are complaining that it isn't fun since it just seems to be a pointless slog in the mud with no real objectives or goals. :ironicat:

Battlefield 1 pretty accurately nails how lovely and awful it was to be a soldier in WW1, unless you were a pilot, in which case it was incredibly cool and badass and the best time ever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Detective No. 27 posted:

Being a pilot seems like it was pretty awesome, but didn't they have a life expectency of like fourteen hours?

Yeah but in BF1 you get to punch out other pilots, take their cooler planes, get away with cheating at cards, and steal zeppelins and kill other zeppelins with them. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Away all Goats posted:

And they call Batman the world's greatest detective.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It seems like there's always a random new reason to disqualify another film.

Katniss Everdeen (aka The Mockingjay), Lucy, Harley Quinn, Bella Swan, Mira Killian (aka Major), Rey, Selene, Alice, Gloria/"The Monster".... these are all very recent examples of female superheroes in film. There is no reason to discount all of these.

To be frank, people ITT are clearly talking about themselves. Diana is not the first female superhero movie that women have ever cared about. It is the first female superhero movie that you have ever cared about - because you ignored, dismissed, or forgot about countless other movies.

Who's Gloria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Collosal. A freak lightning strike gives her incredible psychic powers that she uses to defend Korea.

Katniss Everdeen has a superhero name, superhero symbol/logo, custom superhero costume, and the same 'powers' & equipment as Hawkeye in Avengers.

Unlike Hawkeye, she also has her own tetralogy of films, going from from her origin as a sci-fi gladiator to her retirement after helping to save North America.

As people have noted, you are jumping around randomly because you are beginning from the conclusion that Wonder Woman's marketing is accurate. You have no actual concern for pure artistic merit, or this weak genre quibbling ("the female Robocop isn't a superhero; she's a science fiction action thriller hero"). And you obviously don't actually care about money made, or rottentomato scores, or what's good for children, or any of that other stuff.

Thanks, hadn't watched Colossal yet so I didn't recognize the name.

• Locked thread