Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The real question is... how would this movie look in color?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have never seen the cartoon and now I want someone to post an example of this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm looking forward to seeing this. It'll also be interesting to compare and contrast. The critics and I's tastes seemed to have diverged quite a long time ago so it'll be something.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Are you a twenty-something self-styled nerd with a lib arts degree and the willingness to write a review for 50 dollars?

Yes: have I got some perspective for you!
No: have I got some "perspective" for you!

Hey man, I haven't seen the word sociopath yet, so things must be OK. That or there isn't a scene where Wonder Woman looks troubled at the society's response to her showing up.

One thing I'm really interested in seeing is the portrayal of the Central powers in the film.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looks good but I think Zack Snyder spoiled me with Faora and every single fight involving a Kryptonian in Man of Steel. Ever single thing they did had force behind it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm just hoping they don't sanitize the the war. It's well and good they she tries not to kill people but it's World War 1 and a lot of kids who signed up for adventure were forced to kill one another. A good way of losing faith in humanity while fight in a poo poo rear end war that doesn't solve anything.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The upcoming one is. You level up your kid.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's disappointing to read. I'm not expecting piles of corpses and blown apart bodies but, you know, you're setting the movie during WW1 and we know Diane walks away from mankind at the end for a century, so why sanitize the war so? Why change the setting if you're not going to bother using it? Maybe it isn't as bad as I'm imagining it, though. I'll just see how it is in practice when I see the film.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ghosthotel posted:

My problems with it really don't have anything to do with a lighter tone it's just some really muddy characterization with Diana and an ending that's just really bad.

I'll admit I have my biases as I love MoS and BvS but my girlfriend who hated both those movies was just as lukewarm as I was on this one and hated the ending as well. It just falls completely flat.

I do find it kind of ironic that they decide to lighten the tone of these things during some of the darkest chapters in modern history. But people love their wars and conflict, so showing them in any kind of challenging of negative way is a big no-no. Would it be reductive to say Wonder Woman walks away from mankind because her boyfriend died? Or is it presented better than that? I can see what they were going for from reading the spoilers, since Superman did a similar thing and perhaps Wonder Woman comes back into the fold at the end of BvS because she's tired of good men sacrificing themselves, or something like that..

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sounds like they should have probably had the big bad die but instead of the war ending, people just fought on anyway. That would have let them have their boyfriend dead I'm sad and "gently caress mankind, my man died for this?" stuff too. From what you guys said it sounds pretty problematic, especially since this is, you know, the first huge female lead superhero film and Wonder Woman is a feminist icon yet it sounds like they made it all about Steve Trevor. All that said, I honestly don't know much about Wonder Woman, I don't know how she'd react except from the Justice League cartoon and in that when she thought Superman died she was straight-up about to murder the culprit until Flash stopped her. So maybe it's appropriate to her characterization in the film. It's why I liked Batman V Superman a lot because of the gravity of it all and how these conflicts aren't sanitized to the point where nothing is lost or nothing is gained. Wasn't afraid to make the losses tragic but the gains good and meaningful.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Since it sold out in a hour, looks like Draft House is doing the Women-only showing of Wonder Woman in Downtown Brooklyn. Proceeds are being donated to Planned Parenthood, which is really nice.

This was posted 9 hours ago so it's probably sold out but this topic isn't getting much attention and the last string of conversation was ending spoilers, so I figured I'd try to get things going with this bit of really cool news.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Movie's only getting good reactions because of a conspiracy. Hmm hmm, it checks out. Only reason ever why a movie gets good hype.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nah, it's taking a setting and doing nothing with it. Don't have your film take place in the setting if you're not going to address the elephant in the room, especially if it's during a war. Captain America did this poorly as well (except the Captain selling propaganda aspect of it, which was fantastic). It's like having a movie set in America during the Vietnam War and not bother addressing the massive social movements going on at the time. So why bother setting it during it?

Real. Wars. Are. Not. Set. Dressing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ghosthotel posted:

As someone whose seen it the problem isn't that Wonder Woman didn't kill enough dudes or that it wasn't "grim enough" . The problem is that it seems completely uninterested in engaging with the setting except for there being a scene in No Man's Land, and mustard gas being a thing. The first 5 minutes of the movie is Diana narrating and setting up why someone like her would lose faith in humanity and then by the end it seems like it completely forgot it even asked that question in the first place.

And setting aside the movie suffers from the fight scenes varying in quality, and an ending that goes on for way too long and is incredibly corny. I went into this movie really wanting to like it and was really hype about all the promotional material but it just didn't do it for me.

Just out of curiosity, since you said you liked MoS and BvS, did ideas of what could have caused Wonder Woman to walk away from humanity stew in your imagination after watching the previous film and this one just failed to meet that expectation or was it the film just failed on that point overall?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Batman v Superman did get it right, not as right as Man of Steel, but it's quite good. Wonder Woman may be pretty good, but whatever happens, it will be Zack Snyder's fault for any wrongs whatsoever.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Drifter posted:

FLASHBACK
*shopping, dropping carton of eggs while walking to car; yolk spatters everywhere*

"...and from this great tragedy I left the world of Man 100 years ago"

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse meee, Princess! I guess our egg packaging technology isn't as advanced as the Amazonian's!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yaws posted:

lol

allow me to draw a parallel between this upcoming Wonder Woman movie and Sonic the Hedgehog fandom

Truth be told, I rather read about these weird comparisons because they can at least be funny with the effort put into them than having sociopaths saying DC's cinematic universe was saved because Zack Snyder's daughter committed suicide. Those people can go gently caress right off.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can't wait for this movie to suck just as much as literally every single D.C. Movie released since man of steel but goons will go to great lengths to defend it.

Man, this post is just sad.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Darth Brooks posted:

In MOS a big deal is made of how Kryptonians are birthed into a role that they are genetically designed for. General Zod can't not be a General because that's how he's designed. But Kal-el (superman) wasn't genetically engineered, so there is no set role for him. He can be whatever he wants but the movie continues to force him into situations where he's put into a box. First with his father's death and then in killing Zod.

It's a very anti-heroic way of handling the character. Throughout the history of fiction we've been used to heroes get put into a "How are they going to get out of this?" situation. It sets up the cheer when the hero breaks out of the situation they are boxed into. MOS didn't do that. Superman is boxed into a situation. Zod wants him to kill and Superman never escapes that story box. There's no clever escape, just a dull leaded thud at the end of the movie.

There's no clever way of defeating a demi-god that's better than you are in every single way. So he decided to sacrifice something about himself instead of sacrificing those people to stay pure and innocent. The whole movie is about Clark figuring out how to lead his life, either by one father's ideology or another. He was boxed in the entire movie. By Batman v Superman, he decided to live his life his own way, by just being another guy doing what he thinks is right. Not someone who blends in nor someone to act as a guiding line for humanity (though his selfless example did elevate him into an ideal to strive towards at the end).

He's just an overall decent person trying to do some good while making mistakes along the way. Classical heroism. The heroic myth about him is what is built up during and after his exploits.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only good thing that came from Twitter involving superhero movies is Zod's Snapped Neck, otherwise it's just a bunch of garbage and bad hot takes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm hoping, too, that this will open the floodgate for more female superhero helmed films. Not sure about some of the other stuff, though, from previous discussions but I'll see how it is once the film comes out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did Man of Steel ruin your life or something? For something that brings out such worthless vitriol you sure type a whole lot about it without saying much. Just take a deep breath and remember, it's just a movie.

Deep breaths now.

"It's just a movie." ~ Zack Snyder, Director of Man of Steel

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 30, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Semper Fudge posted:

Avengers has a 93 or something lmao do you really think this is a conspiracy

You're arguing as if people like that care if the film has merit or not.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tell that to no man land's snapped neck.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Those don't actually exist, unlike what he was quoting.

Let's be fair here, if you compile all the goon posts on Man of Steel talking about all the themes, symbolism, imagery and all that good stuff, it'd probably amount to that. Not as much as poo poo people make up they say happened in the film, but a sizable amount.

I saw the film this morning and I quite enjoyed it. I do agree with the criticisms of the last act being pretty weak. I'll probably post something a bit more in-depth than this as I work out what I liked and what I didn't like. But it's definitely a solid film. I think it kind of wasted the setting a bit but in execution I think it got the point across. The second act did definitely feel like it was more about women's suffrage than the war, since it focuses on how little all the men think of Diane, her presence and how Steve basically kept on telling her what she could and couldn't do until she decided to show them all what exactly she (women) could do, which I thought was loving incredible.

I put it just behind Man of Steel in terms of ranking the DC films so far. As much as I loved Batman v Superman (and it I find the Ultimate Cut so very good), it definitely was a weaker film because of how stuffed it was.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

No Man Land's scene almost wasn't part of the movie.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/wonder-womans-most-fantastic-scene-nearly-didnt-get-mad-1795811939

DC still gotta DC, yo.

Dammit! Zack Snyder almost ruined another film!!!!!!!!!

A shame those clowns who were fighting that scene will still have jobs after all this critical and financial success.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder how the original ending was written. If it was the same and they just added the stuff at the end or if it was completely different. One way does not favors for the character, another does no favors for humankind. I guess people don't like hearing how lovely we can be to each other. I think that's something should and needs to be explored more in our entertainment.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it too much to hope for that they give us another Zod-like villain for Diane to fight like he and Superman did? To date, the anything involving the kryptonians in Man of Steel are some of the best action sequences in any of the superhero films. Now I imagine that sort of power behind a character who actually knows how to fight. Icing is that Zod was a really good villain who was a presence throughout the entire film too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Some people are disappointed that in the end it's a film that glorifies violence and I can definitely see where they're coming from. I honestly thought it did but then I put it through the lens of servicemen of the time signing up for adventure or fighting for the greater good and other propaganda recruitment posters. She, without question, took Steve at his word that the Germans were "bad guys", much like any soldier at the time, but in the end they just came to understand it was a poo poo war they were stuck in fighting people just like them. I think that's what felling Ares was for her - killing the unquestioning motive to go to a war she barely understood. It's not as oppressive about it as Zack Snyder's films so I don't think it's as effective condoning violence but I the reading I got out of it worked out alright. Could have gone further, especially for promoting feminism, but it at least gets credit for addressing it, something the Marvel films never want to do.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A lot of the spoilers are why the third act just didn't do it for me. Too much monologue. Lex kept it short, sweet and creepy. Don't explain things to me, movie, just show me and let me read into it. Ares needed to spend less time talking and more time punching. It's why I like the whole Armistice plot thread and why Ares was pushing for it. They don't explain it away, they let you use history as your guide with that one.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You don't "decide to be" your sexuality. What kind of nonsense is this person even saying?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He's a professional photographer. He would never do such a thing. This slander needs to stop!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can it be the leg lamp from A Christmas Story?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Batwoman is there too. But that's a longshot since I don't think Hollywood can deal with a Jewish lesbian woman in the leading role in a summer blockbuster film. I mean, it took forever to get Wonder Woman so maybe we'll see some LGBTQ representation in about 10-20 years.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Equeen posted:

I saw someone say that Wonder Woman isn't feminist because Diana is "highly sexualized", and I have to disagree. I'm trying to think of a male gaze-y shot in the movie, and I'm drawing a blank. There was no close-ups on her (or any Amazon's) rear end and tits, nor was there a dumb scene where Diana is changing clothes, and Steve trying to sneak a peak. Like, there's more to sexual objectification than "is she showing skin, y/n".

I don't think the movie is particularly feminist other than being a power fantasy for women, but besides that point, there's a certainly breed of feminists who view anything sex-positive in a negative light. I don't have much experience with them other than second hand accounts like Emma Watson being spit at by "purists" because she showed some skin in a photo shoot. It's real easy to strawman those kinds of people and even easier to confuse sexy with fetishization. I don't care for the wedges/heels/whatever on Wonder Woman's boots, but I found nothing wrong with her outfit and the camera never drew attention to her bits, so to speak. I say this as a guy who usually complains about boobplate and bikini armor, platemail heels and other dumb trashy designs in video games and whatnot.

If anything, her outfit gave me serious Xena vibes. Wonder Woman obviously existed before Xena but seeing it in a live action movie, that's the first thing I thought of.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks Diane. By doing that you killed no less than 200,000 people. Typical Hack Snyder grimdark murderverse bullshit!

Maybe those rusted, antiquated gears in Hollywood executives is slowly starting to grind forward to compute "a woman in a starring action summer blockbuster makes money. more women in good summer action summer blockbuster... good??????"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ghostbusters wasn't in your face feminism, it was a director pointing a camera in static shots and making his actors improvise a bunch because he doesn't believe in scripts, then haphazardly editing that into some semblance of a film.

Every interview with that guy he just came off as some smug rear end in a top hat. So much talent on screen in that film and they have no direction or anything to work with. What a waste.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The fight on the boat in Winter Soldier was pretty good but the rest of them have way too many quick cuts for me to appreciate. It was very distracting and not very good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was originally going to say something about her coming in here to teach us all about the power of love but I realized how that might come across.

Only one worth telling us about the power of love is Huey Lewis and the News. Everyone else is a fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, now I want the movie where Diane summons Santa Clause: God of War and they have a massive fight.

• Locked thread