Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Thanks for this, I was able to snag tickets for me and my girlfriend. Kinda weird that they opted to put the screening for this in Hoboken instead of somewhere in NYC, but shorter trip for me anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Just got back from seeing a screening. Gonna post some quick thoughts. Ill put spoiler tags around em in case anyone is trying to go in completely blind.

• Boy howdy does this movie got quips. A lot of the jokes are similar to the fish out of water type stuff in the first Thor movie. Some of it lands, some of it doesn't. There are definitely some jokes that look like they might've gotten added in during reshoots or something though because they feel out of place with the rest of the movies humor. One in particular completely took me out of the movie for a solid minute.
  • The movie barely touches on how horrible WWI is and the most you really get is seeing some wounded people in like 2 different scenes. A lot of the dialogue between Diana and Steve in the beginning of the movie sets up this "War to end all wars" but we never actually get to see why. This was probably the most disappointing part for me.
  • The action scenes vary from fun to completely uninteresting to watch. When the movie gives you long shots of Diana just clowning on german soldiers left and right it's pretty entertaining. Any time she has to fight someone in a 1v1 the movie suffers because they just kind of do the "Up Close and Blurry with Lots of Cuts" thing and as a result it never really feels like shes laying into someone.
  • If you hated the doomsday fight from BvS you're gonna absolutely hate the final fight in this.

If anyone else wants me to go more into detail about it I can unless were trying to keep the thread completely spoiler free till release. If I had to give the movie a rating it'd be a 6 out of 10.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 25, 2017

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

It's pretty much a stand alone film except for some small stuff.

Very minor spoilers:

The movie starts off with Diana receiving the original copy of the WW1 photo as a gift from Bruce Wayne and that's pretty much as connected as it gets to the other movies.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Doflamingo posted:

Lay it on us brother! I wanna hear about the very bad joke and the very bad final boss.

Sure.

Bad Joke Spoiler:

There's a bar scene that introduces the other characters you see in the photo from BvS and at some point Diana punches a guy across the bar which causes one of the side guys to go "I am both horrified and aroused." By itself it's just a really tired joke I've seen in a bunch of other stuff but the way it cuts to the character as he says it seemed really off which made me feel like it had been added in during reshoots.

Final Boss Spoiler (seriously don't click if you don't want the whole ending spoiled.) :

Ares shows up in the last 20 minutes and he creates his comic armor from melted scraps of tanks and guns and whatnot that fly onto his body and it's pretty cool for all of 20 seconds before he basically becomes Doctor Doom from the recent Fantastic Four reboot and his power is just to use telekinesis and throw stuff at Diana a whole lot. Even Diana mostly resorts to throwing stuff back at him so it turns into snowball fight but with crates full of grenades which is really funny thinking about it now.

I had fun watching it but it definitely feels way more like a Marvel movie than the previous entries in the DCEU.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Jimbot posted:

That's disappointing to read. I'm not expecting piles of corpses and blown apart bodies but, you know, you're setting the movie during WW1 and we know Diane walks away from mankind at the end for a century, so why sanitize the war so? Why change the setting if you're not going to bother using it? Maybe it isn't as bad as I'm imagining it, though. I'll just see how it is in practice when I see the film.

Yeah so major spoiler about the "walking away from humanity bit", and just the entire ending in general. This is probably my biggest disappointment with the movie.

The movie seems to be building up to a point where Diana realizes that everyone involved in the war is doing bad poo poo and Ares tries to convince her that even though he's the god of war he only ever gave men the inspiration for cruelty and never forced them to engage with it.

This is thrown out the window when Steve Trevor heroically sacrifices himself and Diana realizes that actually mankind is good and evil can be defeated with the power of love. That's explicitly said by Diana like twice during the ending btw I'm not saying it as a joke. So after defeating Ares the war just sorta magically ends and it's completely unclear as to what exactly made her step away from mankind except maybe being heart broken over Steve's death.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

It's never directly said but I felt like a lot of people figured WWI was the catalyst for that based off the photograph and like that's a pretty good guess to make since we know how bad it was.

The setting is completely wasted imo. I know they had a pg-13 rating to work with but there had to be more creative ways of showing how gruesome the whole thing was then just showing some wounded soldiers in one scene.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

My problems with it really doesn't have anything to do with a lighter tone it's just some really muddy characterization with Diana and an ending that's just really bad.

I'll admit I have my biases as I love MoS and BvS but my girlfriend who hated both those movies was just as lukewarm as I was on this one and hated the ending as well. It just falls completely flat.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 25, 2017

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

The movie does a really bad job at giving another reason if there is one.

The movie literally ends with Diana looking fondly upon the photograph and sending Bruce an email saying "thanks for bringing him back to me." That and her big love conquers all speech makes it seem like she was just really sad about Steve for like 100 years.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 25, 2017

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

It doesn't.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Imagine interacting with that guy in real life.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

As someone whose seen it the problem isn't that Wonder Woman didn't kill enough dudes or that it wasn't "grim enough" . The problem is that it seems completely uninterested in engaging with the setting except for there being a scene in No Man's Land, and mustard gas being a thing. The first 5 minutes of the movie is Diana narrating and setting up why someone like her would lose faith in humanity and then by the end it seems like it completely forgot it even asked that question in the first place.

And setting aside the movie suffers from the fight scenes varying in quality, and an ending that goes on for way too long and is incredibly corny. I went into this movie really wanting to like it and was really hype about all the promotional material but it just didn't do it for me.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Just out of curiosity, since you said you liked MoS and BvS, did ideas of what could have caused Wonder Woman to walk away from humanity stew in your imagination after watching the previous film and this one just failed to meet that expectation or was it the film just failed on that point overall?

Overall.

Diana's whole reason for leaving the island is that shes told stories as a child that Ares is responsible for corruption in Man's heart. Once she hears about the war from Steve Trevor she puts the pieces together and goes off on her quest to murder Ares. I think I mentioned it before but the movie occasionally flirts with the idea that men are capable of cruelty without Ares. The problem is that when she finally kills Ares shes proven 100% right and the war literally ends and people who were fighting each other literally seconds before just take their gas masks off and they all have this big confused look of relief on their face like they didn't know why they were shooting each other in the first place. Movie starts with a narration about her leaving the world of man and ends with....a speech about the power of love in men's hearts???

I didn't really have any crazy expectations coming off BvS about what could have made her leave. Knowing that she made that decision during or after WWI was interesting enough to me and I was excited to see where the movie would take it except it really didn't seem like it cared about taking it anywhere.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

fadam posted:

Who is actually saying this lmao?

Zack Snyder is a bad director and every DC movie to date has been poo poo from my rear end but I've yet to see anyone psycho enough to be happy that Snyder has to take time off because his daughter committed suicide.

Thats just one example but I've seen it pop up across facebook/twitter.

I haven't checked reddit but its reddit so I don't need too lmao

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Nope, in fact I don't think they ever say wonder at all. They all refer to her as Diana. It's refreshing in that people spend very little time commenting on her gender (other than a time in the war room full of old general dudes and politicians where they mistake her for a secretary) and more time looking at each other in shock that someone is just wrecking the ever loving poo poo of everything

Just curious on your read here.

You're saying they don't comment on her gender but that whole looking at each other in shock thing is played off as "a woman??? On the battlefield????" For like the entire movie lmao

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah I feel like we watched two different movies.

The scene you mentioned with her helping steves friend is capped off with a "strong woman?? Me horny!!" joke, and on the way to no mans land she's given looks exactly because she's not a refugee and she's yelling at Steve to head into No Mans Land. Just kind of weird to say the movie doesn't comment on her gender when it in fact goes through huge lengths to do so?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Depends on the scene imo. I kind of liked how quick it was on the raid in the village when she gets knocked into that one building from the explosion only to leap off the wall, but then later on when she leaps towards the tower it looks like how you're describing it.

All the fight scenes kind of felt like that to me though. A mix of some good stuff and really questionable stuff.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Speaking of Ludendorff

So Doctor Poison gives him that drug that will "return him to his former strength." which I get is supposed to throw you off the trail on Ares' real identity....except that line makes no god drat sense once the twist happens. Are we to believe this dude could crush guns with his hand in his youth or did she develop a super soldier serum? Should've just been roiding up the entire army if that was case. A lot of the powers are vague as hell in this movie. Like wonder woman's bracelet explosion is a thing she can do becaaaaauuussseee.....?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I mostly take issue with it because the last 20 minutes of the movie is a "this is the final boss so Wonder Woman can do these things now." moment where she might as well have gone super saiyan but without the hair.

Steve Trevor is krillin in this analogy

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Avalerion posted:

I remember seeing her doing that in the trailer when she's training with the other amazons, which I assume happens early on.

This does happen and it's treated as this kind of "how did she do that?!" Moment.

The answer ends up being because she did it in BvS so she's gotta do it in the big finale too.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Echoing the sentiment here. I have problems with the movie but I don't regret seeing it.

Honestly my main concern is that the movie is aggressively average and feel like it's gonna be the template going forward after Justice League.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No.

The closest thing is:

The German general gets a pill that "reverts him to his previous strength" and apparently he was a super-soldier as a young man? It is not really clearly explained why he is insanely strong or why they didn't just say that it would give him super strength.

They also have magic mustard gas.

This gets dumber the more you think about it.

They spent who knows how long trying to perfect that magic mustard gas when they had a working super soldier serum the whole time

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/30/15675084/review-wonder-woman

But Wonder Woman has more to say than pinning a complicated historical conflict on a fictional supernatural force.

Hmm.

What movie did they watch because this is exactly what happens lmao

Edit: reading that review I wish I saw the movie they did where it actually engages with the setting in any meaningful way.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 31, 2017

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Judakel posted:

*moves out of the way of a truck instead of stopping it*

You linked a screen cap from the animated series as some sort of proof as to what superman is supposed to be like or w/e so how do you say poo poo like this and reconcile with him doing this poo poo all the time in the cartoon and sometimes worse???

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LpwA-OTaY24

Right in the beginning of that clip he just folds these dudes guns onto their hands and watches them writhe in pain like jesus christ superman what's your problem?

Let's not forget the fan favorite darkseid episode where superman is just casually knocking him through buildings. That's okay but the fight scene in MoS isn't because...?

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 1, 2017

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Kind of wish that if they weren't willing to engage with the hopelessness/brutality of the setting that they had just gone in the complete opposite direction and had giant death wheels rolling through No Man's Land like on those covers someone posted a few pages back. If Ares can get people to make super soldier serums and magic mustard gas then we should've gotten death wheels imo.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Okay, I just got back from seeing the film earlier and lots of people seem to have gotten a mixed message about the villain was doing and the effect it had on the war.
Ares didn't cause WW1 or impel the humans to keep fighting - he only gave them the ideas for the weapons, it was their choice how they used them. His goal was to prove that Zeus' creations were flawed so he sped up their weapons tech research to allow them to gently caress themselves over quicker and more efficiently. He did have some direct influence but as far as we know that was confined to pushing the armistice, the goal there being to stretch things out with a tenuous peace which could end at any minute rather than have the war end too quickly and decisively.

The movie directly contradicts this though.

When Diana thinks she's killed Ares she's confused as to why the fighting keeps going and then when she actually kills him it straight up stops altogether. The movie definitely sets up the first part of your post and I wish that's where it had actually gone but then we got soldiers smiling at each other like old friends moments after Ares died.

Also him pushing for the armistice was just what he was doing on the British side of things. He clearly wanted the war to continue with the super mustard gas and likely would have whispered something even more hosed up to the other side to keep it going. He literally tells Diana his goal is to have a world without humanity.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 1, 2017

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

She's still ultimately proven right though.

She acknowledges a darkness exists in men's hearts but that the power of ~love~ is much stronger. It was only through Ares influence that the darkness took over in men's hearts so at the end of the day he's still responsible for everything. They don't show him starting the war but it's not much of a reach to assume he's responsible when you find out he's playing the sides against each other in his goal to wipe out humanity. It's basically applying "a wizard did it." to the whole war and it's pretty lame.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Darko posted:

I actually liked everything but the fight climax in this, and feel the WW1 setting was at least more prevalent than the WW2 setting in Captain America. Also, the Aries reads seem kind of off given that he was behind the treaty that led to WW2, which still happened entirely with a dead Aries,meaning his speech about bringing out humanity's nature was correct.

Sort of.

Yeah he was behind pushing for the treaty but he was also putting the idea for the super mustard gas into Dr. Poison's, and Luddendorf's ear. Luddendorf made it clear Germany would not sign the treaty if it had a weapon that destructive on it's side. He was playing both sides against each other the whole time. If anything Ares also whispered into the allies ear how hosed up the treaty would be for germany lmao

I actually enjoyed the movie it's just the ending is incredibly sloppy and fucks up some of the characterization for Diana and also makes a mess of the message it seemed to be building up to.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 2, 2017

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

LionArcher posted:

That's not true. Sword fights are good. First act Great, third act good. A lot of not so thinly veiled sexism in a lot of the criticism

What exactly is sexist about saying the third act is bad or that the sword fights sucked???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

At the time, the war involved a lot of popular superstitions involving angels, devils, ghostly archers slaying soldiers on the battlefield, etc.

Wish the movie had anything even half as cool as what's going on in these. The No Mans Land scene comes close but that's pretty much it.

• Locked thread