Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ah that makes sense and it explains why there was such an obvious time stamp on the footage of Diana using the ATM. It was to show that it took place between MoS and BvS. So I guess the implication is that his facial recognition software was scanning everything it could come across and the WW1 photo of her was digitally archived somewhere and was included in the scan and it then matched that up with modern day video surveillance footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don't understand the complaint about Diana thinking of Steve in the final battle and not Antiope. Isn't the whole point that Diana thinks of Steve not just because he's her love interest but because he is an example of the good in humans and therefore she chooses to "believe in love" and not help Ares destroy humanity? I don't see how recalling Antiope during that scene would have the same impact. If anything it would reinforce the negative side of humanity since they're the ones whole killed her.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I've read the script that's been posted online and it's pretty bad. It ends up being a movie about Steve Trevor and Diana tags along.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What was it exactly that encouraged her to get involved in BvS? The she packing up getting ready to leave her hotel and the Doomsday fight was going on. She got the email from Bruce with the photo, clicked the links about the other meta humans, and then she's in her battle armour saving Batman.

Did the photo along with Batman and Superman rekindle her belief in mankind being capable of goodness and self sacrifice (even though Superman isn't human)? I guess she's been carrying her armour, sword, and shield around with her everywhere for the last 100 years just in case.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That smirking smile in the context of that fight was basically what sold me on the character being in movies. It's just perfect.
During the fight you can see that it starts to wear on Batman and Superman yet they keep dragging themselves back in because it's what they do, they're trying to protect humanity. Diana, on the other hand, seems to be enjoying the fight for the sake of fighting. It's an interesting contrast.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 23, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It's being reported that WW hit $600 million on Wednesday and is expected to surpass $650 million this weekend (estimates are $645 - $655). Final box office estimates are $725 - $740 million.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 23, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think that's one of the key components of super heroes that make them relatable. Sure they have this power or ability but they also have problems like regular people. Some are more messed up than others but they all seem to have issues of one type or another.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeesh, and it's like, five seconds. She's excited because she's literally never seen a baby before.
Steve even has a line saying something like "yeah it's a real baby, not one made out of clay"

spacetoaster posted:

It also came across to me later in the movie how much she would be upset by the war stuff that caused the death/suffering of babies.
She specifically mentions that twice. Once when she's telling Steve they need to help the villagers when they're in the trench. She says something like "They've enslaved the village; women, children..." and at the end when she has decided that humanity does not deserve her help. She says something like "They're killing people they can't even see. Woman, children...children Steve!" In both cases she really emphasizes the word children.

ImpAtom posted:

"A female lead can only be good if she never actually expresses anything definitively feminine in any way" is always a crappy argument. Even if it wasn't a 5 second scene there's nothing wrong with a character expressing maternal feelings nor does it make them less badass. (primary example is one Ripley, Ellen.)
I don't know if this is a bad opinion but that's one of things I really liked about her character. They allowed to her to be an absolute bad rear end while still being very feminine and no one ever made any of the typical jokes about her leading the way. Her abilities were recognized and all the guys quickly realized that they could best help by acting as support for her.

She was able to be a woman without having to act super macho. Same thing with Steve, his masculinity was never joked about or teased just because he followed her. They're both allowed to just be without resorting to tropes for their characters.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 24, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

hiddenriverninja posted:

That shot of her eyes when they go to the room in the inn :allears:
Yeah that was really something.

I feel weird saying this about a love scene but that whole thing was really sweet and intimate.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I saw an interview with Patty Jenkins and they were asking about the problematic nature of female superhero outfits. She said that she wanted Diana and all the Amazons to be hot but not sexualized (that's why Diana has heeled boots, Jenkins wanted them to all have long legs).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Equeen posted:

I kinda like that it was completely left to the audience's imagination. For all we know, Diana and Steve were just cuddling :3:.

they totally hosed, tho
The way the view changed to the gentle snowfall that Diana called "magical" was nice too. It made the whole thing feel more about love than lust or something done in the passion of a moment. The whole thing was taken slowly and deliberately.

I was expecting a "morning after talk" or for the rest of the squad to make joke or innuendo but it was really nice to see a complete absence of that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

spacetoaster posted:

Why female only? They're all that way.

That was one of Patty's points. The male superhero outfits are tight with bulging muscles but no one complains.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

spacetoaster posted:

That ain't no muscle bulge sweetie. :wink:
well, technically speaking...

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

She also has armor that extends from her knees on downwards.
I think in the warehouse scene you see you boots sparking from bullets deflecting off of them. It's in the trailer too. There's a close of of her boots and you see the same spark effect as when she deflects bullets using her brackets.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I just saw it again and during the trench scene most of the bullets are hitting her shield but you can see several sparks coming off her boots.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That's cool. I was wondering why their lines weren't subtitled during that part and why Chief starting talking in that language. I assumed they were speaking a Native American language but didn't know which one.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

spacetoaster posted:

So how does this affect the development schedule? Does this mean we're going to be seeing Wonder Woman 2 (I first typed WWII and realized that wasn't going to work out, lol) sooner? Will she be getting a larger role in any batman/superman/justice league movie in the future?

How do studios adapt, if at all, to over the top blockbusters?
Patty Jenkins said she's already started working on a treatment for Wonder Woman 2 with Geoff Johns. She said it'll be a period piece set sometime between 1917 and 2017.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Was Diana's makeup deliberately darker in BvS to show her more stoic and somber nature? I don't know if I'm misremembering but it seems to be darker and heavier than her look in WW.

Also, thinking back on it, her shock at Steve admitting that he was lying to the general about not going to the front (I'm a spy it's what I do!) compared to the casual "Is it still stealing if you steal from another thief?" query to Bruce when he confronts her about taking the flash drive was a nice touch of character development.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lmao

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Thats an interesting take. I like the idea of her being wrapped in steel representing her deliberately being kept in the dark. Is there a reason why she pulls her right arm free as she's watching the plane fly away?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kelly posted:

The other thing is she is a lot more snarky in BvS in how she speaks to Batfleck - very unlike her more earnest, and innocent nature in this movie. Like you said, work her up into that.
Like I mentioned earlier, compare her shocked "You mean you were lying?!?!" line to Steve when they leave the meeting with the generals to her casual "Is it still stealing if you steal from another thief?" question to Bruce Wayne when he's asking her about taking the flash drive in BvS.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

I've watched the scene a fair few times, and I still have no idea what you mean. Don't suppose you could show us a gif.
I think they mean the bit around 0:37 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klidfZG9oZQ

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mllaneza posted:

And at 0:59 you see a bullet deflected off of her greaves, which should settle the No Man's Land debate.
I was watching the No Man's Land bit again and you can see some bullets ricocheting off of them too.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Agreeing with all of this. I've said some of this before but I was talking to some people at work about it today and they echoed a lot of the same feelings.

When I saw it I kept expecting at least one of the characters to not want to follow her because she's a woman and to learn by the end of he movie that maybe women can be as competent as men. It was nice to see that all the guys very quickly realized she was an absolute bad rear end and that they were best suited to acting as support for her.

Steve was never made the butt of jokes or teased about following her either. Sure Charlie and Sammy made some jokes about believing she was brought to life by Zeus and her destiny was to kill Ares but it was never about her being a woman. When ever Steve steeped in to try and shield Diana or strip her from doing something it was never because she was a woman, it was always for some sort of reason like jeopardizing the mission when she wanted to kill Ludendorff at the gala or fearing she was going to be mowed down by German machine guns. Both Diana and Steve were just allowed to exist as characters and work as a team without forcing tropes or stereotypes on them.

Also, they still allowed her to be the hero without resorting to any macho stereotypes. She was allowed to be feminine and a sword swinging killer.

I hate it when naive characters are portrayed as stupid. Diana's naivety and purity were some of her strengths. She had a very clear sense of right and wrong and was frustrated by all the compromises that men constantly made that resulted in inaction. It was nice to see that her innocence and purity to the realities of The World of Man wasn't portrayed with the creepy "virginal innocence" you sometimes get.

She was trained from birth to be a warrior and grew up in a warrior culture. During the Doomsday fight in Batman v Superman she was the only one who seemed to be actually enjoying and relishing the battle. Batman and Superman both kept having to pull themselves back into the fight but every time Diana got knocked down she got right back up, shook herself off and charged back into the fight.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 30, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

In the scene where Diana is fighting in the Veld center square, after she flips the armored car she's surrounded by Germans. She deflects some bullets and then we see one of the soldiers get shot. She turns to look and you see Steve appear over her shoulder and behind her shooting with his shotgun. Steve glances at her and then goes back to shooting but there's a slow motion focus on her looking at Steve. Why? She knows the squad was right behind her because she looked down at them as she was running across the rooftops. Is it supposed to be because he originally said "they're not there to save everyone" and now he's there with her trying to save everyone? It just seemed like she was surprised to see him.

I also noticed that during that scene she's always in the foreground and Steve is behind her. I guess that is supposed to show that he has her back?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

spacetoaster posted:

I thought it was more smuggness. Like, "see? You DO want to save people."
Hmm, yeah maybe. Thinking about it again, it's not an expression of surprise; she just stares at him.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

spacetoaster posted:

Was that scene before she had the realization that people are more complex than just "Ares is controlling them!"?

Perhaps she was thinking her beliefs were being justified.

*edit* I know that WW was a great movie, and I loved it. But I got some perspective by watching suicide squad again last night. Holy cow that movie sucks more every time you watch it. So bad.

I don't know who all had a hand in WW, but DC better make sure they keep them around.

And SS also tried the whole "sex sells" angle with constant focus on Margot Robbie's rear end and Will Smith's bare chest. It was so over the top retarded. And so was the dialog. And the plot.
It was right after the trench scene so she's still very much of the "kill Ares and stop the war" mindset. The closest she get until the very end is after the village is gassed, she then thinks that Ares has corrupted everyone, not just the Germans.

Yeah SS was lousy. I know people are surprised that it had a larger budget than WW but I'm wondering how much salaries contributes to that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MariusLecter posted:

You could read a lot into that scene and I think that was intentional.

I also felt it communicated that theyre having some bonding through battle. WW isnt just fighting as a lone warrior shes fighting with soldiers in combat like the amazons did on the beach in act one. They even cap the action with the whole gang setting her up for aunt Antiope's Shield Maneuver. :swoon:
You know, I was just thinking about this. I think it is supposed to be a reference to the initial battle. Maybe the look is her realization that she's not alone in this fight.

There's a another scene in No Man's Land just prior to this when she's pinned down and Steve and the team come and offer support to help clear the path for her. There's several back and forth looks exchanged and you get a sense of "we're here for you" being communicated.

I think the scene later when Diana and Steve are sitting at the fountain he says "You did this" and Diana responds with "We did" emphasizes this.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 2, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah I think that was part of it too. It just focused on the two of them fighting. I'm sure the rest of the squad was fighting too but I think it was about the relationship and bonding between the two of them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MariusLecter posted:

I also felt it communicated that theyre having some bonding through battle. WW isnt just fighting as a lone warrior shes fighting with soldiers in combat like the amazons did on the beach in act one. They even cap the action with the whole gang setting her up for aunt Antiope's Shield Maneuver. :swoon:
I was thinking about this some more. I wonder if the Veld scene is supposed to juxtapose the beach scene. On the beach she's fighting Germans as Diana and experiences, up to that point, her greatest loss with the death of Antiope.

In Veld she's again fighting Germans but this time as Wonder Woman and she experiences her greatest triumph when she liberates the village and all the residents thank her.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

She was the hero humans needed. Not the hero they deserved.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

For all the complaints about Gal's physical appearance I've read, no one sees to comment on the Steve Trevor aesthetic of lean, muscular, and waxed which probably wasn't the go to look for men in WW1.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

In the gala scene, as mentioned above, Steve is distracted because he knows what Diana is going try and do. However, Maru views his distraction as a commentary on her as has a "heh, typical man" type reaction.

In the final battle with Ares, Maru's mask is blown away and Ares tells Diana to look at Maru and recognize humanity for what it is; ugly.

In both of those scenes physical appearance is assumed to be a motivator for action but in fact it wasn't. Steve wasn't distracted by Diana's beauty but rather by the knowledge of what she was going to do. Diana didn't kill Maru because she was ugly or evil but spared her because all humans have the capacity for good and evil and deserve redemption.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ape Agitator posted:

I don't know. I read his reaction at the party to be essentially identical to his reaction to her in business-spy attire in London. Just floored by beauty. If Chris Pine was intending "Damnit, what is she doing here" it didn't work for me and I think he'd have been capable of conveying that if he wanted to.
Fair enough. I read it as more of an "oh poo poo" moment due to the way he stops her just as she's about to draw her sword and tells her she can't kill Ares and asks her what if she's wrong.

I figured that the shopping scene and Steve's constant references to Diana being "too distracting" are enough clues that he realizes that she is ridiculously attractive.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I thought Gadot's appearance was a good blend between feminine and tough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MariusLecter posted:

Do they have to be mutually exclusive?
No, I'm just thinking more along the lines of how "tough women" are sometimes portrayed as macho or masculine or men that follow a women's lead are portrayed as incompetent or bumbling.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mllaneza posted:

One of the things I really like about WW is that both of those tropes are subverted. The film acknowledges that Diana is achingly beautiful, but Gal Godot put on muscle to play the role. Then it sets up Trevor and his merry men as good at their jobs, brave veterans of many a desperate situation, and they follow Diana's lead unquestioningly because she a demigoddess damnit.
Just to expand on that, it was nice to see that Steve and his squad instantly recognized that Diana was supremely capable and the best way they could help was to support her. There wasn't a character who insisted that they'd never follow a woman into battle but comes to realize that maybe women can be capable fighters too by the end of the movie.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Maybe this is a dumb question but did all the Amazons know the truth about Diana or just Hippolyta, Antiope and a few select Amazons? I'm wondering because if they all knew then having the God Killer sword secured in the tower doesn't make sense. Like all that back story just to keep Diana in the dark but the rest of the items in the tower are what they claim to be?

I understand why it was needed as a plot device and that's fine, but it was just one of those things that crossed my mind when I was thinking about the movie.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That's a good point and I hadn't considered that. It could still have been a divine weapon, just not for killing gods.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well she did say men are not necessary for sexual pleasure
I laughed at Steve's quiet "Noooo" when she said that.

Here's another question. After Diana kills Ludendorff, Steve comes running up the tower looking for her. He sees the sword poking through the roof so he runs out onto the balcony and Diana jumps down to talk to him. After Steve leaves and Ares revels himself to Diana, she reaches for her sword, remembers that it's still stuck in Ludendorff, and jumps back onto the roof to get it and them jumps back down.

Does anyone know if there was more to this scene? It just seemed odd with Diana jumping on and off the roof. When she reached for it and remembered that she left it on the roof seemed very deliberate but for what purpose? It takes her a couple of seconds to retrieve it and Ares waits for her to return so he can continue his speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

DorianGravy posted:

Maybe it indicates that, with Ares (presumably) dead, Diana felt she no longer had any need of a sword. She expected all war to be over, so weapons like that were now pointless. Ares let her jump up to get it because he didn't fear it.
Yeah that makes sense. I'm probably reading too much into the scene.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Later, a young German veteran on his way to art school roots through the plane's wreckage and finds a box containing a 56k modem.

The End...?
You should have him find a one of the unexploded gas canisters. He picks it up and examines it while a smile slowly spreads across his face.

• Locked thread